“Not sure if we'd return”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I was called by Apple Vacations the day before our trip (originally to the Ocean Blue and Sand), and told we needed to be moved to Dreams since Apple had over-booked. According to their company, Dreams is a better resort. I had no time to research Dreams, and hoped for the best.

The resort was truly beautiful upon arrival, with a very lovely lobby. We were greeted with champaign. Trusting that everyone in hotel uniform had good intentions we were quickly whisked into what we thought was a "welcome information" discussion immediately after check-in. In truth, it was a discussion about the new property, Zoetry, by an aggressive salesperson, using aggressive and annoying sales tactics. She demanded immediate confirmation that we would attend the "VIP breakfast". Annoyed, we said no.

By the time we left this discussion, and headed to our room, the bellman had already left, and our luggage was nowhere to be found. We had to call the lobby, track him down, and finally received our luggage. NOT a good start!

The only two days that I felt well were the first and last days. I was nauseated the entire trip, and learned that when we were looped into the timeshare discussion, we had actually missed an important talk given by a hotel welcomer about dos and don'ts of staying at the resort. Important things like "Don't drink the tap water", and "Don't leave the premises" were mentioned. I had used the tap water to brush my teeth the first day. I'm not sure if this is why I was nauseated, or if it was the quality of the food, but it would have been helpful to know. We were very upset that we missed this valuable advice, and instead got an annoying sales pitch after traveling for hours.

The incessant selling continued. This same lady approached my significant other, suggesting that he book a "romantic dinner on the beach" complete with the pedestrian "wink, wink, nudge, nudge". Thanks for the help in our romantic life, lady. He really needs help on how to treat me well. Ugh! When we asked how much it cost, she said, "It shouldn't be more that around $100 to $150." What?!

Two of the six nights we were there, the hotel had allowed local vendors to set-up tables on the walking paths and in the lobby. These vendors were pushy, obnoxious, and unavoidable. There is only one way to get to both dinner or the beach, and you must walk through the vendors. Another couple told us the story of how they became the proud owners of a tiny seed bead bracelet because the vendor placed the item on one of them, and refused to remove it. He demanded $20. Ridiculous! We tried to avoid the vendor line by walking by the poolside to get back to our room. During our walk the vendors yelled at us, "Lady, lady! Walk this way! I have something beautiful for you!" We just wanted a peaceful stay, but we felt harassed.

I have traveled to three all-inclusives, and Dreams was by far the most expensive. It was also the worst. My stays in Mexico and Jamaica were both better. The food was definitely better at these other resorts, and there were never any vendors on premises.

The things that I did appreciate at Dreams were the friendliness of the staff, the gorgeous beach, pool, and plentiful chaise lounges and cabanas, and the beachside waitstaff who would bring you drinks. Also, there was a lady who was giving out fresh, delicious mangos on sticks on the way to the beach, and a gentleman with tapped coconuts that you could drink from on the beach. These little extras were awesome.

I feel that I have to make mention of a terrifying story we were told by a group of travelers, especially after reading the last review. This was an unsolicited story that they only told us out of warning after we told them that we left the resort. A lady at dinner had told them that she had booked a sight-seeing excursion into town. The bus that the group was on got a flat tire, and the tour guide told the group to walk a short way down the road to a church they were going to stop at, and that he would pick them up from there. En route to the church, a woman was attacked by a man who jumped from the bushes. He attempted to pull her gold necklace from her neck, but when it didn't snap off, he dragged her down the road by the necklace. Finally, others from the group chased him off, and he disappeared back into the bushes. The assaulted lady was ok, but obviously terrified.

The other group told us this story as caution for leaving the resort. We had walked down the beach to the left off of the resort in search of a local restaurant called Restaurant Coco Tropical, recommended by the workers at the resort, for lunch. Being constantly nauseated, I wanted non-resort food, and have always loved sampling true, local cuisine. Once we left the resort grounds, we were approached by a man attempting to have us see his store. We said no, and continued walking further, and approached what appeared to be a small village on the beach. Here, another young man approached us, and asked us where were were going. He wanted us to see his store, and offered to personally escort us to the restaurant. We walked though his store, which was in his home, and he walked us to Coco Tropical. On this walk, we passed several men with semi-automatic rifles, and I had a horrible "what have we done" feeling. The young man seemed benign, and we asked him who the men with guns were. He told us they were the police there to protect the village. We later discussed this, and wondered what goes on there that necessitates semi-automatic rifles.

The restaurant was awesome, with great food and super-friendly service. However, in hindsight, we obviously compromised our safety, and put ourselves in a potentially harmful situation by walking around we a stranger in a place where no one would know if we disappeared. Really scary when I think of it now. We had tipped the man who escorted us, as well as the waitress considerably. They were very appreciative of this. I would NEVER do this again, and wasn't aware of the safety climate when we did this. During our side trip I felt a strong sense of doom, and will advise all others to NOT LEAVE THE RESORT! Nothing happened to us, but in hearing the stories, and reading the other reviews, it easily could have.

I also think some helpful advice would be to bring bug spray, and use it in the evening. I am covered with several bites that itch horribly, and are very large, red and angry-looking! This happened during an evening outside at the Veranda bar.

We did have insects in our room, one of which was a cockroach in the bed. I do feel this is unavoidable in tropical climates, but if the resort does spray for bugs, perhaps they need to do it more frequently. I recommend keeping all suitcases shut and zipped the entire time. Also, the ceiling in our bathroom leaked after a full day of rain. After sending a repairperson, the only solution the resort provided was to place towels all over the bathroom that we had to clean up later. The leak stopped the next day when the rain did, but the ceiling continued to bow.

Also, this is a family resort. The only adult-only place is the Italian restaurant called Portofino. Other resorts are family-friendly, but have more to offer as far as adult-only pools, beach areas, etc. It is a but of a stroller convention, and probably not the best place for couples looking to have a quiet stay. Granted, this resort states this, and if I have had more time to research this, I would have been better prepared. I acknowledge that this is an issue with Apple Vacations, and is in no way fault of the resort.

I can't help to think that if we'd only heard the discussion about dos and don'ts that we missed we would have avoided the nausea and potentially dangerous situation. I'm very disappointed that Dreams doesn't use discretion when approaching newly arrived guests, and am most certainly annoyed with how much selling goes on in the resort. We went on an all-inclusive vacation to avoid this atmosphere, and were so disappointed to encounter it. If we return to the DR, we probably will not come back to Dreams.

4  Thank Jacqueline S

Reviewed 29 April 2012

my and my now husband travelled here with 35 family and friends, we all absolutely loved the whole experience. our group ranged in age from 3 year old to 63 year old, amd there were something to do for everyone! the resort is quite big too so you dont have to be on top of each other if you dont want to be when travelling in a large group.
kids club
the kids club is from 3 years old and is fab there is loads of different activities hourly but during our stay there wasnt very many kids there so our kids and there were 8 of them altogether found it boring just because they were only them in there but i wish i was young enough to go in the explorers club because it looks and sounds great and it so safe, as no adults allowed inside and when you drop the children off you are given a mobile phone to take with you so if there is any problems they can get straight in touch with you, this is a fantastic idea.

rooms
we got upgraded to a jacuzi room with it being our wedding but this room was amazing it had a seperate living room section then a big king size bed then to the sid ethere were the bathroom with a walk in shower then opposite the bathroom was a walk in wardrobe. then on the spacious balcony there were a jacuzi!!! the high light of my wedding night hahaha.
mini bar
the mini bar is small with you getting 4 beers, 1coke,1fanta,1 sprite, 3 bottles of water and 2 orange juices, but this was enough as you we wasnt in our room alot anyway, although our maid was a bit forgetful at stocking it up, but if you ask then they do for you.

swimming pool
this is the largest pool i have ever seen, it never seems full and you are never stuck for a sun bed even when we were getting 35 beds altogether we got our beds. the pool is really clean and every other day they bring some animals round for you to hold and have pictures with if you like.

food
the food is amazing and breakast is to die for its delicious, and the smoothie maker, she is great, you just tell her what you want and she makes it for you while you wait.
the a la carte restaurants dont need reservations so you just turn up but be warned men have to wear long trousers and closed shoes for dinner in these restaurants the only 2 where they dont mind what men wear is in the world cafe which is the buffet and the grill which is down by the beach.

wedding
our wedding was amazing and the waiters for our wedding reception were so friendky and we even had them dancing with us. you can literally do what ever you want for your wedding day, i had my brother sing me down the isle and they just ket us use the pa system. and dont worry if you dont speek to your wedding co-ordinator until you arrive, as the first time i knew anything about my wedding was the day after i arrived. it all went smoothly and the wedding co-ordinators are really good and are always there if u have any problems

this was our best holiday ever!!!!! if you go to this resort you will not be disappointed

happy holidays and i am hoping to go back in the near future

also if you have any problems with anything then go to cocierge not reception as they speak better english so understand you better and they do everything they can to help you. any problems carlos is your man

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank kirstyandleehenry
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at this resort from April 11 to 19. First of all I would like to say that we are not fussy people, and know that when you travel to other countries their standards are different than what we have at home. This is my third all inclusive and my partners fifth. I have stayed at Barceló in Punta Cana, DR, and Breezes in Runaway Bay, Jamaica. Our first trip to DR I came home very sick and was hesitant to return, however, friends were getting married and we made the decision to go. For those of you who are looking for 5 star accommodations then this is definitely not the place for you. In fact, I would rate this resort a 3 star at very, very best.
Upon arrival everything went fairly smoothly. Traveling with a group of 15, arriving around 2pm, four of our rooms were not ready, but as stated, check in is at 3pm. We were greeted with campaign upon arrival. We all had our rooms by 5 pm that evening. We requested a swim out room, which we received. The wedding couple received a honey moon sweet on arrival as a free upgrade. As many other reviewers have warned, there are aggressive time shareholders that lurk in the lobby area upstairs as well as downstairs. They sometimes will take a polite "no" for an answer, and other times you need to give an aggressive "no thanks". To me, what claims to be a 5 star resort, this shouldn't be allowed... however.. A couple from our group was hustled into speaking with a timeshare person immediately after check in - they were told that it was part of a welcoming package and would only take a few minutes to explain. They learned very quickly that it was no such.
The Food:
We ate at the buffet daily. All the food had great flavour, but it was either cold, luke warm, or soggy. We knew traveling to DR that the food wasn't what we were going for. We only ate at the Mexican restaurant once, and it was okay. Meals seemed to be prepared ahead of time then maybe microwaved? People in our group ate the Steakhouse, which they said was good, but had to go to the buffet afterwords to eat again because the portions were so small. (They brought a basket of 6 onion rings to a table of 13.) Another group ate at the Chinese/Japanese and said it was very good. Breakfast at the buffet was the best meal - but it was never "hot". Unless you had eggs or an omelet made. FYI the omelets were delicious! And the orange juice is some of the best I have ever had! Lunch was also good - some days however had a very limited selection (pizza, fish, fries, hamburgers, nachos, fruit, and salad). The same went for supper. Some nights we ended up eating only pizza and fries because most of the dishes contained fish. (I will not eat fish in other countries.) Some of food was used over and over afternoon after night after afternoon after night, etc.
The Drinks:
This is a family friendly resort - so when ordering some of the drinks you have to specify that you want liquor in it. Every single time that I went to the Bar I never received liquor, even after asking. When I would order a double rum and coke, I would get a regular coke, or a diet coke. Finally after the third day I just gave up, and sent my partner to the bar. We learned very quickly that if you didn't tip then you didn't really get service. (Only after every single other person in the bar was served.) For those reviews who say the liquor isn't watered down, then you must have stayed at a different resort all together, because when you get three shots of vodka in a drink, you should almost not be able to drink it. Towards the end of the week we were ordering our drinks with double liquor then with a floater on top. It was the only way that we actually tasted it. All of the frozen drinks were delicious. (The Dirty Monkey and Miami Vice.) Also, you have to watch the bartenders when they get your drinks, because if you order more than one they tended to only put liquor in one drink. My partner caught one bartender doing this and called him on it.
Our Room:
We stayed in Building 3. Again, we upgraded to a swim out, and loved it. I understand previous comments that you wouldn't be able to survive if it wasn't for the ceiling fan. Air conditioning in our room was the pits. I questioned if it even worked. And I swear that they turned the air conditioning off at nights. Our room was very warm, tolerable with the fan, but not 5 stars. Another couple we traveled with, their air conditioner leaked. Our bed was very comfy and new. Pillows the same. Room was clean, and towels were replaced every day that we put the sign up for the maid to do our room. Our first day, we didn't get our room cleaned until 5:30pm. We always left a good tip, and from then on we had our room cleaned by 9:00am. We had turn down service the first night - chocolates and bed turned down and decorative pillows removed. We didn't bother getting it done the rest of the week because we didn't like the idea of having the maids in and out of our room. Our bathroom was fine. The phone in there didn't work, but what do you really need one in there for anyway? Our bathtub didn't drain. So it was gross when we showered because all the water stayed in the tub. It drained eventually. When we arrived there was hair in our bathtub. Really gross.

The Grounds:
The initial look at the resort it was absolutely beautiful. But, once you are there you realize that they need to do a lot of work. Little things make a big difference. The area around our deck (and everyone else's) was dirty. There was broken glass, smashed plaster from the cool lights that they have, cigarette butts. New soil or even rocks among the tress/scrubs would make a world of difference. The cement at the edges of the pool didn't meet with the ground, which showed broken cement, mildew, and mold. They need to level the ground to the pool. Again, I might sound fussy about this stuff, but you can't help but see it. The grounds by the lobby are well maintained, but once you venture away from there things start to go downhill.
The Service:
I already mentioned the bartenders. The wait staff were great to bad. It all depended where you were sat in the buffet as to who would wait on you. Some of the waiters were just plain bad. When you sit down to eat a meal, and they ask you what you want to drink (generally we all ordered cokes), they return after you are done eating with your drink. I know that they are busy, but perhaps they could put in a soda fountain for get it yourself drinks. Morning time however, coffee was always fresh, always available, and always topped off. Most of the staff has very limited English. The best English speaking staff that they have are at the front desk. Most maids didn't understand what you were trying to say .. but they can complain they we should know some Spanish as well.
On the day of our departure we were due to leave at 1am. As stated, check out time is 12pm. We had inquired before leaving with our travel agent about keeping our room. We were told that policy was if our room wasn't booked for that day, we could stay until 5pm at $10.00 US an hour. As it turned out, every single room in our group was booked. We were all told when we all asked that nothing was available. We could check our luggage at 12pm or stay with it. We would not check our luggage because of personal reasons (scared of having something planted into it and getting nabbed at the airport mainly, or our things stolen). After many rude front desk people telling us all NO we went to Pascal (owner, or manager?). He directed the front desk to assign us a room until our departure from the resort. We also had help from the Wedding Planner. So, we believe if you need something done then to go to Pascal, because the workers seem to jump at his command. (We saw him throughout the week showing workers different things to do.)
The Wedding:
Overall, the wedding was beautiful. The flowers, the weather, the ceremony. Only glitch was that the judge was 30 minutes late. But that was something that the couple was warned could happen.
Sickness:
Throughout our stay, 8 of 15 of us got sick. Not from too much sun, partying, or not enough rest. I am talking about severe stomach pains, diarrhea, vomiting. When I travelled to DR 4 years ago I returned home with a parasite. Different country, different food. Different ways of preparing it. Different ways of handling it. Whatever it was, it was bad.
The Beach:
The sand isn't the white sand like the Bavaro beaches. But it is soft like it. The sand is almost cross between white and brown. The water isn't aqua blue, but it is a pretty blue. There is a lot of coral in the water, so bring water shoes. One member of our group fell in the water and had to get treatment from the resort doctor to get coral out of his hand. Not a big deal. **When they tell you DO NOT WALK THE BEACH** DO NOT walk the beach. Stay within the fenced area. My partner and I walked down the beach - to the right. We walked down to the resort next door, looked passed the taped "caution" tape. It looked like a beautiful resort. Kind of creepy to see it unoccupied. A man came out of the beach bar dressed in what I thought that a guards uniform and said "Hola". As we did back to him. We went closer to the water and sat on a piece of driftwood to take in the view of the beautiful waves that day. A few minutes later two women came running down the beach (from further right). One was clutching her chest. They were yelling RUN RUN RUN. Slow to respond, we ran with them. A few feet after there they told us that they were just robbed at knife point. A machete style knife. They took the lady's necklace, then tried to take her rings by cutting off her hand. Had we not been where we were, when we were, as close as we were, the man might have done so. He held a knife to her throat as he ripped off her necklace then proceeded to try to cut her hand off. She ran to the water yelling. The man got scared off and ran back to the grassy sandy area where he came from. The lady had a cut on her chest from him, and cuts on her leg from falling in the water on coral. Other than that she was scared, but okay. We returned to our resort with them (they were guests too) and made sure that they got to security safely. Apparently when we asked what was with the resort next door being abandoned we were told drugs and Mafia. So, beware .. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Overall, this resort just isn't what we had hoped it was. We have been reading reviews since last September. I understand that everyone has different opinions, and different expectations. I would never recommend any family or friends to stay here. This is our second trip to DR and final one. I am sure that there are nicer 3 star resorts in Cuba, Jamaica, or Mexico. Long story short - to put is as blunt as possible - don't go.

Room Tip: Swim out rooms are nice for getting to and from the bar. As for a/c ... good luck.
10  Thank cee1984
operacionesdrepc, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent visit, as we are sure that our future guests will appreciate your informative observations and suggestions. It is very disconcerting to read that you had a less than excellent experience in some aspects of your stay and we truly appreciate your feedback. As a service oriented company our main concern is our guests’ satisfaction; we understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ feedback is a very important tool in helping us identify and address any issues that may affect our daily operation.

In regards to you and your party suffering stomach discomforts while visiting us, please be informed that our on-site physician explains that guests can become ill due to the ingesting of different foods and condiments that they are not accustomed to, allergies to certain foods and/or drinks, and even change in weather. Our resort is regularly supervised and inspected by both local agencies such as the Public Health Ministry of the Dominican Republic and international agencies such as Safety First / CRISTAL, and our food and beverage personnel is constantly instructed on proper food preparation and handling procedures.
While we regret the incident you mention regarding the assault which occurred outside of our resort’s perimeter, it is important to mention that all guests exiting the premises are advised against leaving the hotel area for security reasons. It is also crucial to point out that our security department is restricted to the monitoring of our resort’s limits and that we are not responsible for any incident which occurs outside of referenced boundaries.

We sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations and thank you once again for your feedback.

Respectfully,

Nancy De Lara
Operations Assistant

Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was my first visit to Punta Cana and the fist stay at an all-inclusive resort. I stayed at Dreams Punta Cana.

The food was phenomenal. The staff at the resort were always friendly, always said hello. When you said , "Thank you" , they always responded with , "My pleasure." The resort offered so many activities and were very eager to have you involved.

The resort is family friendly and because of that, it is a little more subdued than those that are "adults only." I had a blast.

Chiquilin gave a excelente Spanish lesson. Yunior was hilarious when giving Bachata and Merenge lessons.

Room Tip: The hotel rooms are out doors because this is a tropical climate. The room was not quiet because pe...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Amy B
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I've never been out of the country or to an all inclusive resort so when i arrived into the lobby it was a very gorgeous place and view. the staff was very helpful. I was here for a destination wedding. So days that i did not have to do wedding stuff i took advantage of the pool and beach which i thought were both very beautiful. Our room was up on the third floor 2 double beds which the room i thought was very nice. However, the negative things I experienced in the room were with the shower; the sprayer would not stay at the top it kept sliding down to the bottom so i had to hold the sprayer itself with the hose which was just in the way and only left me one hand to try and wash with and the water temperature kept changing from either extremely hot or cold. Also unfortunately i was really sick the whole time i was there-not sure if my body agreed with the food -not saying it was bad, maybe it was just me because no one else was really sick. My boyfriend was sick a few of the days but it went away for him. The main concern I had with the resort was after I left when I got home i showered and i saw on my legs red bumps all over here and there on each leg. They didn't itch or anything and i don't recall really being around bugs...so i was nervous to think that they could be beg bugs...i googled what the bites look like and most of them shown are big blotchy red spots everywhere ....mine are not grouped like what i saw but some pictures did resemble mine. I did start seeing more and more bugs in our room the last 2 days before we left. I don't want to make accusations but i'm starting to think they were bed bugs as i was not around any other bugs-they are definitely not mosquito bites. Overall with the staff and activites and resort i was happy to be there.

Room Tip: My friend who was there for her wedding booked a upgraded room which i saw and was very very nice. M...
3  Thank cami u
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I traveled to Dreams Punta Cana from April 21st - April 28th 2012 through Air Canada Vacations. We were a group of four - myself (30) my two sisters (28 & 19) and our mother (55) and we booked two deluxe rooms with double beds (which we were given)

We arrived late in the evening (11 pm) and were greeted with champagne and a quick check-in which was a great way to start! Although we booked our package together as a group of four and requested rooms close together, they gave us rooms at opposite ends of the resort. Myself and one of my sisters stayed in room 9127 near the lobby, and my Mom & other sister stayed in 2125 close to the beach. They told us no rooms were available closer together and we could check again in the morning, but we decided that it would be nice having a "base" close to the beach and one close to the main lobby so we did not check if we could be moved.

Rooms:

All of us loved having ground floor rooms. They were clean, the safes worked great, beds were comfy, our fridges were cold and kept well stocked, air conditioning was excellent, shower/toilets worked great and we all loved having hammocks on our on little patios. The only complaint was that in our room, 9127, the ceiling started leaking on day four near the front door, even when not raining. We called maintenance and they never showed up. There was so much water we had to lay beach towels down as I also slipped and fell coming into the room one day. We didn't want to waste anymore time waiting for maintenance so we never did call them again. We just learned to live with all the water - and it really didn't bother us too much. I give the rooms 4/5 because everything else was great!

Room Service:

All of us used room service a few times, and it was always great! Food was good, arrived quicker than the estimates they gave us on the phone and the menu was awesome - and it was all included! 5/5 for the room service!

Beach:

Beach was very nice, always lots of chairs available, no need to get up early and reserve! Waiters would come and bring us drinks and never expect tips but did appreciate them. Sand was beautiful, nice swimming area. It was VERY windy though - hard to read a book and wearing a hat was impossible as it kept flying off. Beaches off the resort on the Caribbean side were much, much nicer and if the beach is a big thing for you I wouldn't book this resort.
4/5 for the Beach!

Pool:

Pool was beautiful, clean, perfect temperature and always lots of lots of chairs available. Wi-Fi worked at the pool (but not beach) which I loved. Near the swim up bar it was loud, with lots of music, activities etc. and was great for a party crowd. The middle of the pool also has a bar but is a very quiet area where you could lay in such peace and suntan. The beginning of the pool is where all the kids were and was a bit noisy but fun, kid noise! Pool never felt crowded and someone was always around bringing you drinks.
5/5 for the Pool!

Restaurants/Food/Drinks:

Food was amazing, tons of choice and everything was good. We tried every restaurant and the Italian was the best by far! We always had a 20 minute - 1 hour wait for dinner, they would give you the buzzers/pagers so you could go to the bar and they would go off when your table was ready. The only one we did not enjoy was the Oceanside Grill as we waited a hour for a table, 40 minutes for our food and it wasn't really that good. Otherwise even the fussiest people could find something they enjoy at this resort. Drinks were kept flowing and not watered down - if anything they were a bit too strong. I found asking for just a "little" alcohol worked well :)
All of us did get sick though, one of my sister was terribly ill - it was scary! We cannot pin point what we ate that made us ill, but I wouldn't be afraid to eat at this resort again as I talked to lots of people and it seems as though we were the only ones affected.
Food & Drinks get a 5/5!

Spa:

We all took advantage of the Wellness Center which was just lovely! One of my sisters & I did the "Dreams" spa package and we both loved it and thought it was well worth the $159 we each paid. The massages were heaven!
5/5 for the Spa!

Entertainment:

This is where the resort needs improvement. There was a different show each night but they were terrible! We expected to see great dancing - but they were just bad. We were all actually bored. We went everynight and it never got any better. If the shows were on par with other resorts I would of given a 5/5 rating, but we are seriously not fussy people and they were just....bad
1/5 for Entertainment.

Other things:

Wi-Fi was $60 for unlimited for the week and worked great except was down for 3 hours one morning. No biggie! Worked all over the resort (except beach) and was strong connection. Loved being able to Face Time my husband & kids while laying at the pool!

I did find we got better service when tipping. No biggie for us as I tried to leave $1 every other drink as let's face it, we have it soooo much better off than the workers there do. Please don't be cheap! We tipped our maid $3 each day and left little gifts as well. We also tipped our wait staff - not much, but that little bit goes a long way. I brought $75 in one dollar bills and it was more than enough for the week.

Vendors - Saw them twice during our stay, and I did not find them overly aggressive at all! I bought a necklace from one for $15 which was originally offered to me for $125. I was told to haggle them down to 20% of what they are asking. It was kind of fun!
I also bought one excursion from the vendor at pool-side and it was the best outing of my trip!

Time-Share - Was never approached at all, and we spent lots of time in the lobby. Nothing to worry about! I was concerned after reading reviews and sure enough saw them there, but they never ever even came up to us!

Grounds - Were beautiful and well-maintained. All public bathrooms were clean, and there was lots of staff around always cleaning up.

If you booked this resort and are worried about bad reviews - don't be. This is a great resort and you will have fun! I just wish the Entertainment was much better.

(although we did not have any kids with us I know my children would love this place and it was super family friendly)

Room Tip: Our room, 9127 was much quieter than the other room we had 2125 near the beach.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank felecians
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was our first experience at an all inclusive. The hotel was really nice, lots of beautiful landscaping, and the rooms were nice.
The restaurants were marginal, nothing to rave about, but, plenty to eat and select from. The wait staff was excellent, treated us very well, and so friendly.
The pool was very nice with lots of room for relaxing, plenty of chairs and loungers to be used and the pool staff kept it very clean.
The beach was lousy and my biggest disappointment. There was a coral reef not very far from the shoreline and lots of rocks between the shore line and the reef so spending any quality time in the water was non-existant; water shoes were a necessity. There was a small section roped off for swimming but even that was large rocks on the bottom and it was miserable. The expected clear turquoise waters of the caribbean were non existant. However this was my fault for not checking closer because this resort is actually on the the Atlantic front and not the Caribbean and I did not realize that. We spent most of our time at the pool.
We were expecing a romantic caribbean vacation and absolutely did not get it. Not entirely disappointed but will not be going back.

1  Thank Rick I