“Excellent Vacation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Suitland, Maryland
“Excellent Vacation”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

My overall experience was excellent. This was my fifth time in the country and I can truly say that I have yet to be disappointed. The staff at the Resort is very professional and my friends and I would highly reccommend it. Jonathan who works with the Entertainment group is an excellent dancer and was very helpful in keeping us informed regarding the entertainment offered.

Room Tip: Be sure to get room on the 2nd floor to avoid noise from the ground level events.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank rosalee i

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,885)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I had my wedding at Dreams Punta Cana last week and wanted to share my review as I did not see many from couples holding weddings. We had a total of 36 people come and stay at the resort for the wedding. The resort itself is beautiful- the pool is immaculate and we were always able to find lounge chairs. The beach is huge and I like the fact that there are no hotels surrounding it so it gives you space to lounge. We stayed in the preferred club which I definitely recommend for the little extra perks- afternoon snacks, free wifi, upgraded bar etc. They also upgraded our room which was a really nice surprise. Our wedding planner, Carolina, was absolutely amazing. She handled every detail down to the last second and was extremely professional. We had our wedding on the beach and it ended up pouring literally two seconds after saying I do but the set up itself was beautiful. Our reception was moved indoors, which I was not crazy about but as soon as I entered the ballroom, I was happily stunned- everything was perfect. The food was absolutely delicious and we had the professional DJ with lights- well worth it, he was excellent. We also had the standard resort photographer and videographer- our pictures came out amazing.
All of the workers at the resort were extremely friendly and helpful. We also took a group Saona Island tour through VIP and it was easily one of the best excursions I went on. The food in the restaurants were great, no one in my party got sick (this was also the second time I went to Dreams and I never had an issue with getting sick). I stayed for a week and two days and the weather was great except for about 2 days when it rained.
The only complaint I have is a bit of constructive criticism. The communication between departments could be better. My family and I really wanted to eat at Hibachi and it was not always open. The issue we had was that the staff was not always equally informed. There were days where we asked reception if it would be open, they would say yes and we would go all dressed up to find out it's closed. (Quick tip- the activities sheet lists restaurants and which ones are open for each meal. We realized that a bit too late). Other times we asked preferred club and the hostess at Himitsu when we should get there as they do not take reservations. We were told by both people to get there a half hour before one of the three sittings (6, 7:30 and 9) We arrived one day at 6:30 for the 7:30 sitting and were told that the time was already reserved. We had a bit of a back and forth because we couldn't understand why they would say no reservations if people could come at 5 and reserve later slots. My request would be if you allow this to happen, inform all staff accordingly so the guests are informed to arrive at 5 to reserve a time or allow reservations to be made. The other communication issue we had was with the spa. In our last meeting with our wedding planner she called the spa while we were in the office to confirm our appointment for massages. When we arrived at the spa at that confirmed time, we were told our massages were for 3 hrs later. Again, it sounds like a minor inconvenience but it is annoying especially when you have to plan your day around it. We had to cancel our romantic dinner on the beach because of it, we did not have enough time to do both so we were annoyed. The concierge wanted to blame our wedding planner but she had confirmed the appointment while we were there so we knew it was not her mistake. We did end up going to the spa which was amazing. I would definitely recommend anyone to go and get at least one thing done, the facilities and service were amazing and compared to prices here in NJ for spa treatments, they were definitely reasonable. The last thing was that we had our wedding on the beach and it started pouring towards the end of the ceremony. We were stuck on the beach and our wedding planner tried to phone to have someone bring umbrellas. After ten mins no one came still and my uncle had to run to the main lobby (a very far walk from the beach) to get an umbrella so I would not get wet. Our wedding party had to stand under the huts but they still got soaked which left us to figure out a way to get everyone back to at least one building. By the time we were all off the beach everyone was completely drenched except for me, thanks to my family. I would just say to maybe have an escape plan in case this happens again. We were able to laugh it off but other parties may not take it as well as we did.

Overall I really loved the resort, my family loved the resort and everyone had a great time. I would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Preferred club rooms are bigger, more amenities.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
17 Thank MicheleTorres
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Beware.......Beware......this hotel may have a lot of good reviews, but for me and my family it was the worst vacation ever. The only thing I can say positive about this place was, the housekeepers, waitors, & waitresses were extremely nice.They do have a lot of daily activities.But, IF YOU DON'T MIND VOMITTING AND DIARRHEA DAILY, THIS MIGHT BE THE PLACE FOR YOU. ME AND MY FAMILY MEMBERS OF 6, WERE SICK EVERYDAY. Management could care less, oh yeah they will send you to there MD on-site for $100, one thing this MD has'nt even done his 4year residency (more like a medical student)!!!! Beach was very rocky and full of seaweed, yucky!!!!Our bathroom in our room didn't even have a private door, can you imagine someone with diarrhea on the toilet while your lying in bed sick with abdominal cramps!!!! Rooms also didn't have properly working air conditions!!!!!What a vacation....Clearly not a 5 or 6 star hotel, felt like a motel stay!!!So my advice stay far away from Dreams Punta Cana, it is far from a Dream more of a NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank tomorrow l
operacionesdrepc, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at our property, and we’re truly sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations. Our main concern is our customers’ satisfaction, and it concerns us to learn that you and your party suffered stomach discomforts while visiting us. Our on-site physician explains that guests can become ill due to the ingesting of different foods and beverages, condiments that they are not accustomed to, allergies to certain foods, and even change in weather. Our resort is regularly supervised and inspected by both local agencies such as the Public Health Ministry of the Dominican Republic and international agencies such as “Check Safety First /CRISTAL”, and our food and beverage personnel is constantly instructed on proper food preparation and handling procedures.

Our Beach is cleaned on a daily basis and constantly monitored to remove seaweed and other debris sometimes brought in by the tide; however there are times or specific times of the year when the ocean experiences natural changes due to climatic factors and it is during these times that we encounter more seaweed on our beach. We are fortunate enough to benefit from a private beach with a natural coral reef barrier so much enjoyed by our guests that like to snorkel as well as an area for swimming and the enjoyment of other water sports.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity of hosting your stay once again on a future visit to Punta Cana.

Dublin
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We just returned after 2 weeks in Dreams and it was a first class experience. If you are thinking about booking this hotel Do it. All the negative comments about the food, drink and cleanliness of the hotel are rubbish. The journey from the airport is about 50 minutes but its worth the journey once you arrive. We did not receive our welcome glass of champagne , this was the only downfall!!

The rooms were fine they were cleaned twice a day and the mini bar was stocked daily.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, there are flamingos and parrots tropical gardens etc all very well kept. The hotel is not dirty it is very clean, it is spotless!

The food here is amazing there was so much selection, the breakfast was in the buffet and the lunch you could have on the beach barbecue or in the Oceana restaurant. At night time there was a number of different restaurants to chose from. We ate in them all and each and every one of them was delicious , the Japanese is a must, but the Chinese outside it is very noisy on account of the show that goes on in the Japanese part.

The Bars were great, plenty to choose from, believe me the drinks here are not watered down. I actually think they put too much alcohol in your glass (thats a good complaint) and its strong. Trust me I love my drink. Our favourite bar was the Varanda bar outside and also our favourite bar man German worked there.

The beach is spectacular , its on the atlantic side so there is not going to be crystal clear water, but was fine to swim in the section they have marked off for swimming. We enjoyed some nice walks along the beach. There is plenty of sun loungers and they will even bring you your drinks there.

The pool is the best I have ever seen anywhere, it is huge and again very clean. There is quiet parts if you want some peace and quiet or you can swim down to the bar if you want a bit of noise.

This hotels best asset is the staff, they are all very polite, friendly and hard working.

We will definitely return to Dreams and would recommend this hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: The Rooms nearest to the beach
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jim11_12
Dear Guest,

Thanks once again, and we look forwarding to hosting your next visit to Punta Cana!

New Sharon, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2012

My wife and I had a great time at Dreams Punta Cana. We've been to Mexico several times (Puerto Vallarta) and we found the Dominican Republic and expecially Dreams Resort to be a excellent place. The food was top notch, and all top shelf liquors. The beach was beutiful and weather was great. Dreams entertainment was awesome too. Congrats to the great staff for making our stay the best we'd ever had. No complaints from this couple.

Room Tip: All rooms were great. Personally would spend the money on an ocean view room or a hot tub room. We...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shawn V
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to post your lovely comments regarding your visit to our resort and we are happy to know that we met your expectations. It pleases us that you enjoyed all of our facilities and services, and that the participation of our entertainment team made your stay even more pleasant. Our staff works hard to provide excellent service and it motivates them when they are acknowledged by our guests.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back "home" on a future trip to Punta Cana.

Springfield, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at Dreams Punta Cana in April to celebrate our wedding anniversary and had the most amazing trip we could have ever imagined!! From bed in breakfast, to champagne and fresh fruit on our balcony as a gift for our celebration, Dreams made our trip a real dream come true!

We booked our trip in January after reading all the wonderful reviews and having our travel agent confirm how wonderful the resort was as she had been to Dreams a couple years earlier. We arrived on Sunday, April 15th and stayed until April 22nd. First, let me say, I am not the best flyer!! BUT flying over the Caribbean is so beautiful!! Bluest and clearest waters you will ever see and the pilots pointed out which islands were Bahamas, Turks and Cacos, etc. When we arrived, we met with our Apple Representative to find our shuttle. We were lucky enough to get a smaller shuttle that had no stops before ours. The drive was pretty long, felt like forever, but was probably an hour to 1 1/2 hours. Roads are much different then in the states, which we expected. They were small, bumpy, pot holes scattered, and not many road rules which you will find out when you go ! :) Nothing bad that nobody can handle, just different!!

Once we arrived, we went through the beautiful gates to arrive up front in the lobby. We were treated with champagne and cold/soaked rags that smelled amazing!! The staff took our luggage while we got checked in and then met us at our room about an hour later. Remember, people are leaving and checking in at all times of the day and night, so you may have to wait for your room to get ready. We went to the lobby bar while we waited and started off with a couple shots of mama juana which were the best by far at the lobby bar. Mama Juana is the Dominican drink that every tourist needs to try. It is made from rum, red wine, honey, and cherry wood. I wanted to try something blue and frozen, so they made me a Blue Hawaiian which became my favorite drink for the first couple of days until I had a WOW!! :)

The rooms are nice. I absolutely loved our king bed! It was very comfortable and every night, house keeping got our bed ready for bed time! The bathroom is pretty. Be careful in the shower because it is a big step to get in and out of it. Housekeeping made sure we always had lotion, soaps, shampoos, and fresh towels. They even asked us in the evenings if we wanted extra towels, which was nice since I showered in the morning and before dinner every day. The staff put a banner up on our door wishing us a Happy Anniversary. They left us with champagne, fruits, and coupons for the spa which we LOVED. We had a 50 minute couples massage and used the spa to our advantage. Several different types of showers, baths, a steam room, sauna, and jazcuzzi.

Our mini fridge was always stocked and they made sure we had plenty of bottles of water. Do not drink the water from the sink, but most of you probably know that already! There was not a dresser, but the closet had plenty of shelves to keep your clothing folded nicely and there were plenty of hangers.

The pool was my favorite spot. It is very pretty and the scenery is amazing!! The waiters are the best! They will always make sure you have a drink no matter where you hang out in the pool which was very nice for us so we didn't have to get out as often. We ended up meeting a lot of great people hanging out by the pool and hung out with many of them throughout our stay and have even stayed in touch with some since getting back home.

The beach is very pretty. The ocean itself really depends on the weather and waves. The first couple of days it wasn't very blue because the waves were very big and stirred up much of the sand to create a foggy color. However, by Tuesday, the waters were much calmer and the color was beautiful!! It is on the Atlantic side, so if you are looking for the crystal clear blue water, you may want to look on the Carribean side of the island. We did an excursion to Saona Island which was on the Caribbean side and the water was completely different from the Atlantic. Definitely look into taking the Saona Island excursion if you want to do something away from the resort. You get to ride on a catamaran as well as a speed boat, all you can drink rum, beer, and soda, and then get to soak up the hot sun on a private secluded island where there is dancing, volleyball, hammocks, and beach chairs, and then have a real Dominican lunch served by locals, and on the way back you go to a sandbar in the middle of the ocean and get to see beautiful starfish.

Food was amazing!! There are 6 different restaurants to choose from and all are very tasty! My favorites were the Italian and Oceana. Breakfast in the World Cafe was wonderful! Freshly made smoothies and omelettes and an endless buffet to meet everyone's tastebuds! We also ate at the seaside grill and el patio (mexican). We didn't get to try the Japanese, as it was very hard to get into since none of the restaurants take reservations. Don't forget, there is free room service 24 hours a day. We loved the late night pizza after hanging out at the disco!

The Entertainment Team is amazing! They worked very hard to make sure all of us were happy!! JC, Wilbert, Delores, Carmen, Hermann, Timiteo, and Lisbeth were our favorites! Definitely see them because they will make your trip worth the stay and you will bond a great friendship with them that you won't forget when you leave! This staff truly cares about their guests. They work 12 hour days and make very little money. We always made sure to tip them well and they were very grateful for even $1. Our last night and day, we made sure to find all of them and thanked them each and gave them a $10-$20 tip before leaving. Make sure you try the WOW, Coco Loco, and Rum Runners. You will love all the creative cocktails they have in store for you!! The shows were fun. My favorite was the Circus Theme Night. Very cool show! The Michael Jackson show was also very good!

We were very sad to leave, and one month later, we are still talking about how much we wish we were still there! Dreams Punta Cana is a resort you will never forget! Do not listen to any of the few bad reviews on here. Personally, they make me laugh because there is nothing wrong at this resort as the staff keeps it up to date on a day to day basis, and they treat you like royalty while you are there. For those that did leave bad reviews, I am sorry you did not experience the amazing trip we did! Dreams Punta Cana will be seeing us again soon!! We can't wait to go back!! :o)

Room Tip: Do not upgrade to preferred club. You will have a great experience in any of the rooms and will save...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MeggR
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our resort. We are pleased to learn that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our resort prides itself on the excellent customer service that we provide our guests and we embrace and appreciate your compliments in this respect. It was our pleasure to host your stay and we thank you for your kind comments.

We truly appreciate your informative observations and suggestions and we’re sure that many of our future guests will find this information very helpful when looking for answers to many of their questions. We look forward to welcoming you back "HOME" in the near future!!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

The property itself is pretty nice - more suited to families than couples. The food was just ok - some places not good others were ok. The Italian place was okay. The rooms need some work. We had a smell of mildew and were not impressed with the cleanliness. The pool area was nice. The beach area was a big disappointment. You will not find the normal wonderful blue Caribbean water here. It was rocky, choppy, not clear, and full of seaweed. It reminded me of a beach in Delaware or Jersey but with palm trees.

Overall it was okay because we were with good friends but certainly would never return. It is no comparison to properties like Excellence and Iberostar.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends