“Air Conditioning?? Friendly Service is missing.”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed there from 9/12 to 9/16 for a family renewal of vows. The Air Conditioning in our rooms and in the restaurants was not very cool. As a party of ten from ages 7 months to 61 years old, we were hot all the time in the air conditioning. Even the pool water was warm like a bath as the water areas are only 3 to 4 feet deep. The service was slow and tipping was not suggested, but required to get any service. Food was adequate, no where near the quality of the Iberostar hotels where we have previously stayed on 4 different occasions. Strictly a FAMILY RESORT! If you are adults only, why put up with all the kids and a shallow pool. The place needs updating and is quite a distance from Punta Cana and other side attractions. it took an hour to get there from the airport. The Wedding was nice and the meal on the Beach was the best we had for the entire stay.
I observed them watering my drink when I asked for a premium vodka on the rocks. It seems like they are running a tight budget and guest are not treated like being in a 5 star. Venders you sell fake jewelry are on the grounds Wednesday and Saturday and practically block you from walking to your rooms.
5 out of ten people in our party ended up with diarrhea by the time we left. Our 13 year old grandson was diagnosed with e coli(mild case) upon his return to the USA.
Our son had a family suite in the preferred building but the living room was a big empty room with a bar, no chairs, a couch/loveseat. The tv in that room was not a flat screen. Flat Screens are only in the bedroom. He complained daily regarding the air conditioning in the room, but no one ever came or solved the problem. They just didnt seem to care.
When we checked in, our room safe did not work. We waited 2 hours for someone to come and fix it.
Also, we drank from a bottle of Diet Coke from the mini bar and noticed when we finished it that the bottle had an orange colored ring on it. BE CAREFUL.
This was our 5th visit to the Dominican Republic and our last. The staff used to be so appreciative and friendly, but now they seem much less enthused regarding their jobs.
The layout of the hotel is odd and to get to some of the buildings you must walk through the ground floors of the front buildings. At night, people were noisy as they past our rooms at midnight. Our swim out room never had pool towels as described and our neighbor kept taking our chairs from the patio. Also, note there are no elevators in the buildings where your rooms are located. As my husband had just had knee surgery, we had to have a ground floor room.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Higher floors don't have the foot traffic as ground level.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank STLFAN51

Reviewed 23 September 2012

9/15- 9/22 stay. Let me begin by saying that the staff was wonderful, however there were just to many incidents that I can not overlook. Our first meal, my husband took a bite of a piece of steak and found a piece of glass. I realize that it was not intentional but needless to say it was quite alarming. They moved us into a room that walked out to the pool, however the there was a leak in the bathroom ceiling which leaked on you when you were on the toilet. The grounds are beautiful and the food was average. Let me say I love the Dominican people and will return but just not to Dreams. I dont believe that they should be rated a 6 golden apple, they should be more like a rating of 3

6  Thank lovesox2005
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I recently visited Dreams Punta Cana and the experience was underwhelming. I must state that the staff was excellent. The hotel seemed to be perpetually short staffed, but they were always smiling and willing to assist.

The rooms...1 star. I stayed in building number 7 which was 1 of 2 "VIP" buildings. If there was something "extra" to the room, I missed it. The room size was adequate especially considering the rates were fairly low. The bathroom was not clean. There was mildew in the shower that looked like it had not been scrubbed in some time. The grout lines in the floor were dirty, appearing as if they were mopped versus being scrubbed occasionally. Grout lines and caulk work need immediate attention (this would probably cut down on some of the mold/mildew). The beds were old and lacked sufficient support. The bed skirts were dirty and in some rooms I visited, did not exist, exposing a box spring wrapped in plastic. The phone worked when it wanted. I suggest keeping the AC on to keep down the smell of mold. The AC vent and the surrounding wall had visible mold. The love seat smelled of mold probably because it should have been rattan or wicker. Again, grout lines/caulking showed poor workmanship, dirt and needed replacing. The first floor rooms had patios with a table (chairs if you were lucky) and a hammock. The hallways had adequate lighting, but they too were in desperate need of cleaning and the entire resort needed painting. Several of the people I traveled with changed rooms due to the smell of mold and unclean rooms.

The food. The metro cafe was mediocre. The food was edible and the cafe was usually open. Service was good. Himitsu (Chinese/Japanese) was a mess. Go to the bar to order from the very limited sushi menu and depending on your server it may get delivered to you table. The food was not even mediocre. Oceana was lack luster for dinner however the view was nice. This was the only experience at the resort with less than stellar service. The waiter repeatedly said "hello" when you did not respond quickly enough. Oceana for breakfast (if you were a VIP visitor) was your best bet. Sea Side and Portofino were the best food options. Sea Side had a salad bar and the food was good. Portofino had the best food on the resort. It did seem odd that an Italian restaurant did not serve dishes with marinara sauce. All of the sauces I saw (to include my party of 8 and surrounding tables) were white or what appeared to be a blended sauce. Oceana, Portofino and Sea Side are housed in one building with Portofino being upstairs.

The bars are plentiful and close with staggered hours. The VIP lounge is small but nice. There is a bar and two computers with free internet service. The bar served premium liquors however the selection was limited. The lounge closed at 10 or 11. Internet service outside of the VIP lounge was a bit pricey.

The pools were nice . The second pool ends on the beach/in the ocean (I am told). Access to towels was not an issue. The beach left a bit to be desired. The back hoe started moving sand and redefining the usable area of the beach early and worked past dusk. The water was a bit rough and the flag was red for two days. If you have children, I would not suggest letting them get in the water due to how strongly the waves crashed against the shore. There were several cabanas. VIP had wooden beach chairs with cushions. Plastic beach chairs were also available.

The hotel/resort had various activities and even had a discovery zone pirate ship/pool area. An itinerary was placed under the room door each evening. There were several shops and a spa. Our group was given multiple coupons from our travel agent and the resort that could not be combined. There were several shops onsite to include a jewelry store. The resort will offer a visit to Zoetry (a sister property) which was beautiful. The purpose is to sell a time share.

I would not go back to Dreams Punta Cana unless major improvements were made and documented.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank lovelylanna
Reviewed 21 September 2012

The journey from the airport is rather long - about an hour. However, once we arrived we loved the hotel. Our room was quite large - much better than at Dreams La Romana. The a la carte restaurants were really good and all staff were friendly and helpful. The only thing that lets the hotel down is the beach. I only went in the sea twice and cut my feet both times. The huge pool almost makes up for this though. In the evening there was a very strong wind coming in off the sea, and I don't know if this was just the weather conditions whilst we were there or if this is normal. I would definitely go back though.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tymoshan
Reviewed 21 September 2012

9-17-2012
Apple Vacation Customer Service,
we were there Sept 8-15
Fooled by Apple vacation Ratings Dreams Punta Cana is not a 6 golden apple
Problems with Hotel

• The resort Dreams Punta Cana was not even in Punta Cana.
• the rooms were very small
• furniture broken
• mold in room
• ceiling in bathroom falling in
• plumbing in tub did not work
• key to room did not work
• food was horrible, not gourmet food
• always had to wait for beach towels
• drinks were watered down
• entertainment was awful
• Disco stunk like mold made my asthma act up
• Bar tenders did not like you asking for top shelve they would give you attitude when you did
• Maids never left enough towels and did not pick up plates from the night before
• Safe did not work had to call to get money out right before our excursion
• The maid would put beer and pop in fridge but when you opened the door they would fall out, one broke, we called for them to come and clean it up, they picked up the glass but did not mop. Ww were not in room when they came to clean it up.
I slipped when I walked in the room and the room smelled like beer.
• Beds on beach were falling apart and they were only for Preffered Club.
• The maid changed our pillow cases but did not have new ones so left them like that and never came back to put new ones on. The day we left still no pillow cases…

Spoke to the Apple Rep. He was as helpful as he could be, gave us a room upgrade, to a junior suite Which was nice, but it still did not change everything else. Should have been moved to another Hotel.

Problems with Excursion Isla Saona

We were picked up and taken to an intersection and made to wait for 1 hour until another bus came to pick us up. Thank god I speak Spanish because I could ask question. If it were some one else they would have freaked out. Sitting in a bus not knowing the language and not knowing what was going on
Workers were very aggressive when it came to tipping, so aggressive they made you feel like you had no choose.

How could they rate this hotel a 6 golden apple when you rate Zoety a 6 golden apple + there is nothing Luxury about this resort. Iberostar Grand in Mexico, Beaches in Turks and caicos, Sandals white house in Jamaica those are 6 golden apples not Dreams Punta Cana. Makes me wonder if the only reason this was rated so high was because Apple ownes the resort.

One thing that I have to say from the front desk people, servers, bus boys, hostess they were extremely nice and always pleasant. The spa was very nice.

I’m not sure if I would ever book a Amresorts Hotel ever because there ratings are incorrect. This is not fair to the clients that are counting on this information.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel if you all looking for luxury resort
5  Thank drich888
operacionesdrepc, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your comments regarding your recent visit to our resort. Your feedback is very important to us as it permits us to identify any deficiencies that may otherwise go unnoticed in our daily operation. We`re sorry to learn that you encountered any inconvenience during your stay; as a service oriented company our main concern is our guests` complete satisfaction and we truly regret that your experience was anything less than excellent.

Our management staff is available around the clock to handle any issues that may negatively affect our guests, and we would have appreciated the opportunity to offer any additional assistance while you were in-house. The room upgrade to a Junior Suite, with a value of over US$1000.00, made possible through your representative with prior authorization from hotel management, was an obvious gesture of goodwill. We understand that you would have preferred to move to another hotel, as stated in your comment above, and would like to remind you that the offer was presented to you at the time, but you declined. It is unfortunate that you feel that despite the complimentary upgrade and the personal assistance you were provided with you were still dissatisfied with our service.

We host many guests that return year after year to enjoy our wonderful customer service and beautiful facilities, and it greatly concerns us when we view comments like yours, nevertheless we thank you for pointing these issues out to us. We understand that there is always room for improvement, and all necessary measures will be taken to correct our weaknesses.

Nancy De Lara
Operations Assistant

Reviewed 20 September 2012

it was amazing , we are as europeans are used to go to countrys like spain greece or the popular turkey for sun see and fun , this time we went to the domenican republic and YES it was a bullseye , nice rooms in bloc 1 preffered , good food , not only chicken as in turkey moslim , nice restaurants without bookings , the beach and see are speechless , good amimation team , clean rooms , the hole location is also cleaned , we didnt do the spa so dont have an opinion about that ,
the others guests are mostly USA and CANADA , very welcoming people instead of a buch unmannered russians who are destroying turkey for the moment , the poolbar very easy going staff , about the hole staff i want to say that these people are so friendly and kind and in an hounest way , non forced , natural way , especialy Sujeidy was exellente on the OCEANA bar , she doesnt have to much work there but if you are at the bar she gives you the feeling to be very welcome and has always a smile for everyone , girl on the right spot !!!!!!!!!!! for the rest a want to say that if you come from europe to this place you wont regret the long trip

Room Tip: if your room doesnt fit ask kindly for another, they are so helpfull all of them , from the bellboy...
2  Thank Coppens P
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We just returned from our stay at Dreams Punta Cana and we had an amazing time! My boyfriend and I could not have asked for a friendlier staff! veryone was so nice and welcoming =) the food was delicious and the beach and activities were tons of fun! Thank you to all the staff

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family