“great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Pembroke, Canada
“great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just returned from a 7 day vacation at dreams Punta Cana. This resort offered great family experiences especially for young teenagers. The Core Zone offered endless supervised activities all day and evening. The staff were friendly and welcoming. They were always up for playing pool, ping pong, tennis, baseball, basketball, and video games. A very special thank you to Drake, Wander and Omar from the Core Zone for making my trip amazing and memorable. You guys are fantastic!!!

-Bryton.P Canada

2 Thank Carlo P
Hector T, eConcierge at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have taken to let us know what a great time you have. We definitely understand that if the children are having fun, the parents can relax and unwind; I am just happy to know that our Core Zone staff was able to keep your young teenagers engaged in activities and fully entertained during your entire stay.

I will make sure that Omar, Drake and Wander know that they were able to help you create wonderful memories of your vacations.

Once again, thank you very much for your comments and we look forward to having you with us once again very soon.

econcierge.drepc@dreamsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,781)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

March 7 to 15 ; Weather was great sunny and hot with very few clouds ; Resort was not at capacity that week.

We (3) were in building 8 and on the first floor rear facing room.
Beach was incredible - you could be social or secluded all within 200 meters of the Sugar Reef bar.

Due to the continous efforts of the staff the room and resort grounds were kept very clean there were no pest control issues just a few friendly Peacocks and Flamingos that walk the grounds .
Maria was our service person and she was very good and was extremely creative with towel sculptures.

Every staff member I met from cleaning staff to concierge were very friendly and willing to help you - they knew who to call if they themselves did not know the answer I never got a - No sé señor or a shrug from anyone. Adrien was very helpful in arranging access to a courtesy room on our last day - check out is 12 noon.

Food service - we went to diner early (before 7pm) and never had to wait.
Food is subjective - we did not enjoy the Asian as much as the Sea Side Grill or the Trattoria restaurants and we did eat at the beach barbeque with no issues - fresh Kingfish was excellent

Alcohol was plentiful and there was a good selection of labels. However I would suggest having more than one type of beer - PRESIDENTE is great but a small selection would have been welcome.

We went on the Outback Safari - tour of the local rural area with a lunch and a beach stop. Thank you EDDY and RAMON our guide and driver - it was Excelente. Macao beach for boogie boarding was amazing!

Room Tip: Next time I would try to get a ground floor room that backed onto the pool
1 Thank Guy0t
Dear guest,

As a service oriented company, we are happy to know that our offer met your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay enough that you have taken the time to let us and future travelers know what you felt about us and how you consider we could be able to improve our services.

I am sure readers will find your review very useful and informative.

Whenever you decide on coming back, please let us know; it would be our pleasure to have you among us very soon.

Always at your services and wishing you an excellent day,

Plainville, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Recently went with 5 families and had a great time. Food was much better than anticipated. Staff was very friendly. Pool was great, bars were good. Water polo was a blast as we dominated. Beach is just ok, no good snorkeling, a bit on the rough side. Not a good dive destination. Shows were entertaining. Resort is great, rest of island is not very nice, not much to see.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BradyJanGlenn
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have taken to let us know about your recent stay.

We are happy to know you had a great time and enjoyed your vacations.

After reading your review, we would like to inform you that there is much more to the Dominican Republic than just the Punta Cana area. We invite you to come back and get to know our mountains, cities, rivers, even sand dunes and pyramids.

Should you need any further assistance, do not hesitate on contacting us. We would be more than glad to assist you in anything you may need.

Selkirk, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I read many reviews here prior to our arrival and must say I was pleasantly surprised. It was much better than I expected. We stayed for 10 days. We were vacationing as family of 6 adults. We had 3 rooms. Check in was a breeze, with bell hops looking after your luggage and champagne being offered while we checked in. We did not have to wait at all.

We reserved a swim up room, which I would recommend. The room was smaller than I expected but comfortable. Our luggage was waiting for us when we got there. We had a king size bed, desk table and chair. TV, DVD player, coffee maker, safe, fridge. The patio doors led out to a table with 2 chairs. Then a step down was 2 pool loungers in our private yard all within a couple of steps to the pool. For me, this was the best part! Worth noting is the air conditioning worked great. The cleaning staff were awesome. It's like a team of people, cleaning, re-stocking, turn down service. If we needed anything extra, they were always willing to get it for us. Our safe gave some minor issues. we had to call security a couple of times to assist us. They safes are really old and need upgrading, but they did the job.

The pool for me was the best part. It is almost like a lazy river running through the resort. We were in building 4. We enjoyed the pool daily from our swim up room. We would also walk the length of the pool to the swim up bar just for fun! The pool closed at 6pm every day. That was a disappointment. I would have loved to swim anytime, especially having the swim up room. Towel service was awesome, You could pick up clean pool towels everyday. They also have random floatation devices in the pool for everyone to share.

Right across the pool from our room was the bar that we frequented daily. We never had to wait long and there were no line ups. The bartenders are awesome. They sure work hard. They are part of the amazing staff at Dreams. Randy and Wilkins had a great singing voices and would entertain me as I waited for my drink.

The entertainment staff were really good. Everyday we were left a program with the next days events. We did some Latin dancing, and watched an awesome show "Boogie Nights". The entertainment staff are very friendly and love to get you involved if you let them. Yoanna and Yaun, (not sure of the spelling) got our family up and dancing and laughing.

The ocean is not something I see very often. It is beautiful! I'm not sure if was the time we were there, but the red flag was always up during our 10 day stay, warning no swimming. I went swimming regardless. I did not come all this way to not go in the ocean! The water was beautiful and salty. The waves were fun. The beach area has some rocks, so be careful when swimming. There were vacant loungers available every time we went. The vendors also like to frequent the beach, selling cigars, jewelry etc. They are not pushy, I said no and they left us alone.

Moving on to the buffet, I thought it was awesome! Every night had a theme. There was always a variety of choices. I never had complaints. Something for everyone. Sometimes that wait staff was a little slow, but it was because they were so busy, No matter what, they always manged to get us what we needed. The pasta station was my favorite. We did visit the Bordeaux for a steak dinner. The steak we really good. Room service was good too!

The grounds were well kept and clean. Nice walk ways that take you all the way to the ocean. There are peacocks and flamingos, a Parrot, fruit stand, bars, bridges..... going for a walk is never boring. We had a wonderful stay and would go back again!

Hola to my friends at Dreams. Everything was Excelente!

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are nice!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank 99Fifi99
Dear guest,

We are happy to read that you had an overall amazing holiday and that every aspect of our vacation offer satisfied and exceeded your expectations.

Regarding your review, I am sure readers will find it very informative and thorough.

Whenever you decide on coming back to us, please let us know. We would be loved to have you among us once again very soon.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We spent a wonderful 7 nights at Dreams Punta Cana. The resort is clean and tidy and all the staff and friendly and very welcoming. We mostly ate at the World Cafe as there was so much selection and they have a different theme every evening. My husband and daughter at the sushi bar and japanese restaurant and both were very good.There are wonderfully kept grounds with an aray of beautiful birds and animals, including flamingos, peacocks and turtles. The entertainment team absolutely made our vacation with their packed schedule of events, special thanks to James and Shaggy for our morning water aerobics and making us feel so welcome, you were amazing. The beach is wonderful and the waves are great fun to play in, its good to take a boogey board to ride the waves. Now for my few hiccups! The room keys often failed and needed replacing which was just a pain. The sun beds at the side of the pool get taken early so you have to get your towells on them by at least 7am to stand any chance of getting one for the day. We had one account of complete bed rage one day which was very disturbing. Would advice taking stuff for an upset stomach, both my husband and I suffered.

1 Thank NGreatbanks
Hector T, eConcierge at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to let us know about your recent stay.

It finds us with joy to know that you enjoyed your vacations and that most of the aspects of your stay met your expectations; also, I am sure most travelers will find your review very informative.

Should you ever need anything from us, please let us know.

Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We have been to the DR many times, but this was our first time to the Dreams Punta Cana. Our stay was February 27-March 6, 2014. We were not disappointed! The resort was beautiful and of course, the weather was great.

There is always lots said about the property itself, but in our opinion, the people that took care of us each day deserve all the credit! Here is just a few of the people that made our stay at the Dreams Punta Cana extra special: Lenny, Dio, Hamlet, Rossy, Carmen, Sharon, Wendy, Victor, Cesar, Josephina, Margarita and Hector. Thanks to all of you for being the incredible people you are.........

We look forward to our next trip to the Dreams!

Room Tip: We were in Building 6, which is right next door to the Preferred Club building.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are extremely happy, and can agree with you that our staff is one of the main reasons why we have so many repeat guests. It fills us with joy you will be part of that family too.

I will make sure the staff members you have mentioned know what a great time you had and how they were able to help you create the wonderful memories you will cherish for a lifetime.

Whenever you decide on coming back, please let us know.

Always at your services and wishing you an excellent day,

Halifax, Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I'll try to keep this short seeing as there are already over 5000 reviews of the resort.

I wish Tripadvisor had a 3.5 rating as I'm not sure Dreams deserves the 4 rating but I think it's better than a 3.

Good stuff:
Pool is great, like a long river running through the whole resort
Grounds are beautiful and well kept, always a small army of staff tending them
Beach itself is nice and great for long walks
Most of the staff are friendly and eager to please
Weather was awesome
No waits ever for drinks at the various bars even though the place was fully booked
Lots of top shelf booze available.
The spa is super nice and quiet but not cheap
Other little perks I liked: all the bottled water you want in your room and at the bars. No wrist bands, no towel cards.

Bad Stuff:
At check in be prepared to fight to get the room you requested. Despite emailing the resort 3 times prior to arrival we were given rooms half a building away rather than the adjoining rooms we requested (not great when you are traveling with 3 kids). Talking to other guests around the pool this was a common issue. Thankfully Hector at the front desk got us exactly the rooms we asked for on our 4th day there. Thank you Hector!
The rooms are smaller and dated, picture your average Holiday Inn Express.
Bathrooms are very small, shower has little water pressure.
Beachside drink service was terrible, poolside service okay.
Beach lounge chairs are shot, all need to be replaced.
Although the beach is nice in the water there are lots of rocks
The reef in front of the resort is dead, not great for snorkeling
If you want a good spot by the pool you'd better be out there to save it by 7:30am.
Beds were not very comfortable and if you have a room with two beds be aware that they are very small doubles. If you are sharing a bed with someone you'd better be friendly with them.
The biggest issue we had was the food. The breakfast and lunch buffets were decent with lots of choices but the ala carte restaurants were not good.
The seaside grill was the worst, 3 out of the 5 of us got sick after eating here.
The Seafood restaurant was awful. Tough steak and 2 tiny shrimp was the "Meat and Seafood lovers dream"
The Japanese restaurant was okay at the teppanyaki grill itself but the food off the menu was almost inedible
The Italian restaurant, order the pasta dishes. Everything else is dreadful.
French restaurant, actually had a decent meal here, not outstanding but decent.
Not enough outdoor dining tables at the Buffet.
I would like to say that all the servers work very hard to please you but the food quality just isn't there.

Overall, it is a good resort and don't fret if you are going here in the near future. I'm sure you'll have a good time. Just focus on the good stuff not the bad stuff. Would I go back? No, not unless I found a crazy good deal on Dreams. We booked at about 40% off there standard rates and even then I feel it was overpriced for experience we had.

Other stuff:
Trip from the airport took exactly 35 minutes
At no time did anyone try to up sell us on the room or any kind of timeshare
The gym is nice, very busy in the morning but dead by 11am. They could use more free weights and leg exercise machines.

Room Tip: Get one on a high floor facing the pool, building 3 is good
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ErnieScar
Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to let us know about your review. Don't worry about all the other reviews; every experience is unique and quite different from any other, so thank you for wanting to share your story with the rest of the traveling community.

We are happy to know you enjoyed your vacations, and even though there may have been several issues that you point out could have been better, we are sure you left with some good memories of your vacations. Also, thank you for the list of aspects of your stay that you consider we could improve. These aspects have been forwarded to the corresponding personnel and each will be reviewed in order for corrective actions and measures to be taken.

Should you ever find yourself coming back to us, please let us know.

Always at your services and wishing you an excellent rest of your day,