“Excellent Choice!!!”

Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #17 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stayed at the Paradisus Palma Real for 5 nights in May, 2012. It was our first trip to the Dominican Republic and this resort lived up to and surpassed all our expectations. We chose this resort based on the reviews here and the recommendation of my travel agent.

Our room was a one bedroom, garden view, master suite, all-inclusive. Many (most?) of the resort’s rooms, I believe, are time-share units. Thus, the midrange rooms like ours have a separate bedroom, a very large, divided bathroom, living room, dining area and a full kitchen (but who wants to cook?!!). The furnishings were elegant and impeccable, the room was spotless and was well maintained by housekeeping. We had a photo of our room from the website and it looked exactly like it when we got there.

Our travel agent got us an upgrade to “VIP” status and asked that we be close to the beach. Both requests were fulfilled. We had VIP check-in and that upgrade enabled us to eat free at the two top restaurants on site: The Gabi Grill and Aqua. More on those later. We also had access to a special “VIP” area of thatched cabanas on the beach, but frankly, the beach area was not crowded and anyone could sit anywhere without asking.

The lobby area and entrance was probably the most stunning of any Caribbean resort I’ve been to. It is especially beautiful at night with the colored spotlights. It looks out onto a large fountain area and pool below where several of the restaurants (Vento and the Japanese one) are located. There is a huge free form pool and a separate “VIP” pool near the Gabi Grill, but again, no one was checking (a good thing). Multiple bars around the pool area and grounds will keep anyone’s thirst quenched with satisfying drinks. I noticed that most top-shelf liquors were stocked, including singly malt scotch. There is some limited beach service as well.

The beach area was huge and the open sandy area was about 50 yards to the water. There is an abundant amount of thatched “umbrellas” in the beach area to stay protected for those like me who are sun averse. All the beach chairs have clean cushions and beach towels are readily available with no “checking out” (ugh!). We spend several afternoons on the beach enjoying the cool, offshore breeze with me in the shade and my wife and daughter sunning themselves. The only issue with the beach is there is a bit of a seaweed line at water’s edge, though not objectionable once you get in the water. This is true of all the resorts in Punta Cana, I believe. A tractor does come every morning and scoop it up. To sum up, the beach area was very relaxing and wonderful.

They have water sports on the premises....SCUBA, snorkeling, sailing, kayaking. I didn’t avail myself of SCUBA due to bronchitis, but I do understand that they do take you to an offshore island where the reefs are better than the mostly dead ones on shore. My daughter and I went snorkeling one day and it was fun—several hundred yards offshore is a shallow reef (5-10’ deep) with fair coral formations and quite a few fish, considering all the snorkelers trying to scare them off. We also went parasailing for the first time—FUN!! Incidentally, the beach at Paradisus Palma Real is better protected by the offshore reef, it is not nearly as rough as is at the Rui resort a few miles down the beach where we picked up the parasail boat.

The food...let’s get to that. There are about 5-7 restaurants on the property to choose from—we weren’t there long enough to sample them all. Breakfast and lunch were served buffet style in an open-air area next to the beach, it was very pleasant to eat there. Nothing too remarkable about the buffet breakfasts and lunches, eggs, omelets cooked to order, fresh fruits, all the other stuff you would expect. Lunches were the usual resort buffet lunch, lots of variety with an emphasis on local cuisine. Dinners? Ahhh....let’s talk about the dinners. Our “VIP” status allowed us to eat at the top 2-3 restaurants on the resort: the Gabi Grill and Aqua, for example. Otherwise, guests pay a slight “up charge”. The Gabi Grill and Aqua were AMAZING, they could both be a Michelin 3-star restaurant in any city. The lobster dinner and beef and turf dinner at Gabi Grill were divine. Here’s a tip---skip the lunch buffet and have lunch at Gabi Grill if you can...it is TOTAL grommet eating at its best. The Aqua restaurant was also Michelin 3-star, although after 2 martinis before dinner, I don’t remember as much!! We also ate at the Japanese restaurant (Benihana-type cuisine and service) which was very good and the Italian restaurant, Vento, also excellent. You will not be disappointed by the evening food.

To sum up, the suite was everything we wanted, the food was fantastic, the beach heavenly, the grounds and main buildings were immaculate. This is a time share resort (although we booked it as a hotel) so you might get asked by your “consigner” if you would like to attend a meeting. We didn’t express an interest and they didn’t push it. My only “complaint” might be that the evening entertainment was not exactly tops in our book, although, to be fair, we only attended one night. But that’s a small issue compared to all the other great things about the resort. My wife and daughter loved it and still talk about the relaxing time on the beach.

Would we go back? In a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the beach. "The Reserves" rooms are a bit of a walk, back from th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing Paradisus Palma Real Resort for your vacation, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience.

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that once again you had a memorable stay at our hotel and that you appreciated the effort and dedication of our staff.

Once more, thank you for share your impressions and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at this your second home, Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (11,337)

Reviewed 27 May 2012

I just got back from a 7 day 7 night stay at the Paradisus Palma Real resort in Punta Cana. I took the trip with my wife as a gift for her 30th birthday (I also turned 32 the same week and we celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary a month earlier). We stayed at this same resort 5 years ago on our honeymoon and came back for many of the same reasons I am going to explain below.

I will start with the only negative part of the trip and end with all of the very positive things that made our vacation memorable and an ideal celebration of my Wife's 30th birthday. When we arrived around 3:00PM after a long day of traveling all we wanted to do was get to our room and relax. Unfortunately, we were told that our room was not ready and that we could go to the buffet for a quick meal and also sit through a 90 minute presentation / sales pitch to become members of the Sol Melia worldwide network. We ended up postponing the presentation to the next day and to make a long story short, we passed on the opportunity to become members but it was interesting and made sense, likely for families in different financial situations.
On the the good part: The breakfast buffet was excellent each and every day. I am somewhat easy to please, with an omelet made to order each morning and fresh OJ. My wife enjoyed the oatmeal each morning. Service at the buffet was somewhat hit or miss, but it's a buffet so no big deal. Most days after breakfast we spent at the beach and enjoyed world class, top notch service from our bartenders, Luis and Bianca. Luis was great, constantly laughing, smiling, and singing along to the music, working quick and fast. Bianca's responsibility was to take orders from people on the beach and deliver them what they ordered. Let me be very clear: Bianca is made us feel like we were the only people on the beach and is a big reason we are going to likely come back within the next year or two. She checked on us every 10-15 minutes and never left us with empty cups of our drink of choice. The service she provided was absolutely awesome and we enjoyed conversing with her and Luis all week. Try the Coco Loco mixed drink...

Now for the food: We ate at all of the restaurants available to us except Aqua (Vento, Bana, Passion 2X, Market Grill, and Gabi Beach). Our 90 minute presentation we heard on day 2 earned us a voucher for a free meal at Gabi Beach. It was an excellent meal and the service was great. Atmosphere was awesome (outside) but not the best restaurant on the property (second best IMO). Our first night was spent at Market Grill. Service was unbelievably slow BUT the steak was absolutely delicious. Day two was Vento and once again the meal and service was superb. Bana was night 3 (hibachi) and it was as expected. The service was once again excellent. Night 4 we spent at Passion (not free, had to pay $40 per person, $80 total). It was worth every penny. This was the best restaurant I have ever eaten at and I am not exaggerating. My wife and I both agreed that the entire meal (Scallops and Risotto, Potato Soup, Salad, Steak, and all of the desserts were unbelievably tasty it was so good the night we went that we decided to go back our last night. We could not imagine a better way to end our trip....
I want to separately spend some time talking about the service at Passion. Our servers (that's right, we had 2 servers) both nights were Sergio and Jesus. Maybe it's just that I have never eaten at a restaurant of that grade (seven stars) but they both showed us the kind of attention I have never received before and their interactions with us were both professional and personal (a difficult balance). We actually ran into Jesus as a server at the buffet and her recognized us, served us our drinks, and it was the best service we received at the buffet the entire time we were there. Similar to Bianca, Jesus and Sergio both made our experience unforgettable.

For her birthday, I scheduled a massage, manicure, and pedicure for my wife. To my surprise I was allowed to experience the water treatment with my wife (steam room, water massage in the pool, cold and hot water treatment, sauna, and jacuzzi. As someone who has never gotten a professional massage or spent time in a spa, I was very impressed. The gentleman who assisted me was Wander and he was a very helpful guiding me through a new process. He was excellent! My wife was with Maria who was very knowledgeable and helpful as well. Her masseuse was Wendy. My wife said it was "one of the best massages she has eve had". She took her time and there was absolutely no rush. She also enjoyed the relaxing discussion and top notch foot and hand service from Carmen. All 4 of these individuals (Wander, Maria, Wendy, and Carmen) made my wife's 30th birthday extremely memorable! We were both relaxed more than we had been in months, years, maybe ever!
Lastly, and probably most importantly, our concierge was with along the way all week, whenever we needed anything. His name was Edgar. First, as soon as he found out that we were celebrating our birthdays he had a bottle of Moet champagne sent to our room which we enjoyed that night and the next morning. I was very impressed at how Edgar always recognized my wife and I whether it was at the beach, in the hallway, at the front desk, etc. Each time he saw us, even if he was with another guest, he always took the time to speak and make sure we were having an excellent time and enjoying our stay. Edgar was with us throughout our week and made it a point to get us whatever we needed. If it is possible to request a certain concierge to be with you when you visit Paradisus Palma Real I would recommend with no reservations Edgar.
The property is awesome, the rooms were luxurious, the food was altogether delicious, but what made our stay incredible and memorable were the people who we came in contact with. Starting with our host / concierge EDGAR.
Interacting with BIANCA and LUIS each day at the beach / pool.
Spa treatment from WANDER, MARIA, WENDY, and CARMEN.
Food service at Passion and the other restaurants from JESUS and SERGIO.

I highly recommend this property to anyone looking for a relaxing time with people who are absolutely incredible.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great. My only suggestion would be to ask for a room that is not of the 1st fl...

Dear Brad,

I would like to express my gratitude for choosing us to celebrate such special occasion, your anniversary and your wife's birthday as well for sharing your impression on this trip.

I greatly appreciate your comments about our gastronomy and facilities. At the Paradisus Palma Real Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations; this definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

I feel proud and grateful for your comments to our people. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. I will gladly pass on your compliments to each you have mentioned.

I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you in the nearest future, at this “your home away from home”.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Excellent. We've visited here twice now and both times the service was outstanding, food was great at every meal, resort was gorgeous, and the rooms were perfect. Edgar Gonzalez at the concierge desk gave us the best service we have ever had at any hotel. Ask for Edgar! He gave 110% even to the smallest request. We will be coming back, hopefully very soon! Yuberkis at the Actividades staff was a ton of fun as well. Great staff!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Dear Curt,

I would like to express my gratitude for sharing your impressions about your recent experience. At Paradisus Palma Real Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence. Therefore I assure you that I took a good note of your observations.

I feel proud and grateful for your comments regarding to Edgar and Yuberkis. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. I will gladly pass on your compliments to each you have mentioned.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

This was my 5th time back to the original New World. Each time I’ve been to the Dominican Republic we’ve stayed at a different resort. The prior ones being: Paradisus Punta Cana, Melia Caribe, Ocean Blue, The Hard Rock, and now Paradisus Palma Real. All were very good experiences, all had their pluses and minuses and if anyone is planning on going to any of these places would be happy to tell you about them just drop me a line.

The truth of the matter is, if you’re looking to re-charge, relax, romance – you’re not going to go wrong in Punta Cana – the beach, the water, the weather, the people – if you leave in a negative mood from this spot in the world the issue is with you, simply put Punta Cana and the DR is great.

All in, Palma Real was the best we’ve been to – and it should be, given that it was priced at a premium relative to the other resorts.

There were some “minor” misses. I was surprised at the lack of dining options relative to the other places (no Dominican Restaurant, and the 7 star place wasn’t available, room service menu limited), the coffee bar should be indoors (like Mike’s Coffee at Ocean Blue) and the Spa, more like the staff at the Spa, need a bit more training. Nothing major, but if it is priced higher than the others, we should expect no misses (fair or not!)

Other than that – the place was great. The grounds are beautifully maintained and the resort is well organized, the staff is really friendly and attentive, the rooms spacious and updated, solid workout gym, the pool was big, the beach and the ocean water was postcard perfect. There is a really good mall that is a 15-minute walk or 5-minute golf cart ride. And finally, they do go through great lengths to provide nightly entertainment with shows as well as a couple of good bars to end the night with. Side note – take advantage of the free activities at the beach – this is sailing, snorkeling and kayaking. The snorkeling was really fun, lots of fish to see at the coral reef!

** Here are some tips: 1) Guys: bring a pair of lightweight khakis and at least one button shirt for dinner. So disappointing to see how nice the women dressed for dinner only to see the man they are with to show up like a bum. Don’t let your lady down; dress sharp for your dinner date. 2) Dust up on your Spanish basics, most of the staff speak some English, but don’t forget you’re in a Spanish speaking country, and knowing a bit of the native lingo will go a long way in making sure you get what you want. 3) Bring plenty of singles, as in cash, tip the servers, they recognize the tippers and will treat you better (surprise!). 4) Dining - do the buffet on Dominican Night and Seafood night otherwise the Asian restaurants were the better choice over Vento which were the only options for us on this stay.

Palma Real (and Punta Cana resorts in general) is great – and if you’re heading down there, you will love it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2012

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for letting us know about your recent experience. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

We believe that only by listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our guests that we are able to immediately detect areas for improvement. You can rest assured that your observations were taken into consideration.

Once more thank you for your constructive criticism and I do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Well, I needed a break from every day live and what I found at Palma Real was a touch of paradise :). The huge pool and clean beach was a site for sore eyes. The landscape was well taken care of and the rooms had all the amenities needed for a worry free stay. Food was excellent and the bars were stocked and the onsite entertainment - especially the Circus and Dominican Festival were awesome. Local staff recommended two excellent excursions which were well worth the trip though you need to pay for the excursions in cash - no credit card.

As for the staff, Ramon Fuego, the pool bartender, made sure I stayed in the pool an extra hour every time I took a dip :) The dance choreographer, Maria Cecilia, for the Dominican night festal did an amazing job mixing traditional and modern Latin dance. Jueana Garcia made sure all out diner reservations were taken care of and diverse. Overall, the staff was very curious, friendly and loved their job - Hec, I even left my safe deposit box opened and the cleaning staff put a privacy note up on the door and ensured all my valuables were just as I left them - that alone shows the efforts they go though to ensure their guest are taken care of.

Gym was great with a mic of cardio, free weights and machines to keep your work out schedule on track, I did not take advantage of the full spa experience, but what I saw was all the elements of tranquility and equipment for a full spa experience... something I'll take advantage of on my next trip.

I defiantly recommend it if you are looking for a laid back atmosphere that leans towards family, but has enough entertainment to keep couples or friends having a great time!

Room Tip: Had a corner room with a garden view which was great to wake up to.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagementPPRL, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Dear guest,

I feel proud and grateful for your comments regarding to our staff members,. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. I will gladly pass on your compliments to each you have mentioned.

I look forward to have the pleasure host you in the nearest future, at this “your home away from home”.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

This place will not disappoint. The only bad thing that I can say is that the casino had lopsided blackjack rules. Great beach, great grounds, huge clean pool, everything you want at your finger tips. The staff is ALWAYS smiling and friendly.

I went down with a group of guys for a bachelor party trip and it was great. We did have to leave the place to find nightlife, but was not a problem.

The rooms were amazing. Extremely pleasantly surprised. I thought they had messed up my reservation since our rooms were so nice.

Room Tip: The ground floor is preferred.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Marc,

I would like to thank you for choosing our Paradisus Palma Real Resort for your bachelor trip as well as for letting us know about your recent experience. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

I deeply regret to hear that we did not impress you with our casino. I can assure you I took a good note of your observations.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments and I look forward to welcome you again at Paradisus Palma Real Resort or at any other property of Meliá Hotel’s International worldwide

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I just got back from a 5 day, 4 night stay at the Paradisus Palma Real resort in Punta Cana, DR. I took the trip with my father, step-mother, 3 sisters, my girlfriend and one of my sister's boy friends and we all had a blast. If you are into lounging at beautiful beaches and hanging at awesome (and huge) pools and drinking for free all day and eating for free all day, this is your trip.

My girlfriend and I never left the resort and we never really missed it. We went snorkeling one day (which was included) and it was awesome. The casino is a bit tiny, but still a lot of fun. The real gem here is the beach/pool, drinks, and the people working there. I need to mention some of the staff that my family and I loved- ANGEL (oh my god!), Bianca and Ramon Fuego (the best bartenders, they had our drinks memorized by the end), and our main man Edgar Gonzalez. Outstanding service from these people, and other who I've forgotten or never got the names of.

I've given this 4 starts because to be honest we had a kind of crappy dinner at the grill our last night there. It really wouldn't have bothered me but EVERYBODY (8 people mind you) had their food cooked wrong and it tasted bad. I want to be clear though, every other meal we at there (at the Habachi, at Passion, at Gabi Restaurant) was awesome, the highlight for our family being the Red Snapper.

My girlfriend and I like to go places where we can run around and sight see, but because we were traveling with family who we don't live near and don't get to see very often, being able to just lounge, catch up, and laugh a lot was perfect for us.

If you're reading this, thanks to everyone at the resort who made our stay one to remember for a lifetime!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear Nick,

I would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Paradisus Palma Real Resort for your family vacation; as well as for sharing your experience. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you had a memorable stay at our resort and that you appreciated the effort and dedication of our staff; we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal-the continuous improvement of our services. You may rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Once more thank you for extending us your impressions and I look forward to welcome you in the near future.