“So many chances but kept failing”

Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #17 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Nothing about this trip was relaxing. Asked for quiet room and got a room facing neighboring hotel that played music till 3am. Had to move rooms 3 times to get one that was somewhat quiet. My wife left a dress in a closet when we had to pack up after the drunken couple in the adjoining room next door would not keep quiet. That dress was never seen again. House cleaning did not come clean the room another day even after I called 3 times to have them come. Was never given a reason as to why. All the rooms are filled with mosquitos. The free internet in the rooms was broken for 3 days. Every time I called front desk I got the same answer...someone will come fix it right away. It was never fixed. My wife cut her foot playing volleyball from a knife buried in the sand. The beach was not cleaned properly after a dinner event.
I arrived on a Wednesday and could only get dinner reservations to eat at 9:30pm for the next few nights. I told them I eat early and want to eat at 6 when everything opens. They told me to come back everyday at 3 and ask. I think they just want tips. Each night I walked by the restaurants and saw 2-3 tables full at 6. After complaining to almost everyone, I finally asked for the manager of the entire resort. If you pay extra money you get to see him right away I found out. Domingo tried to make things right and even drove my wife and I to the airport when our tour company never called us to arrange our prepaid transfer back to airport. Entire trip was one stress after another. We stayed at the Iberostar the year before. Rooms were much cleaner and place was much newer. Reason we changed was their food was horrible. Not sure what to do next....

Room Tip: If you choose...make sure you ask for Domingo Beltre if you have any issues. honestly he is the onl...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ireactivate
Write a ReviewReviews (11,347)

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I am not a "review" type of person, maybe because I'm easy to please! I can't leave Paradisus Palma Real without saying to those who think they are Michelin reviewers, and write a novel about how terrible the food and service was while staying here! Stay home and whine!! Paradisus is by far the best there is in the DR!! The staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly.(Notable mentions-- Felix de la Cruz, Alexi(chef), Franklin de Salas(waiter), Ramon Fuego (wet) bartender, Cristian Castro(waiter) and so on!! I'm here for a week with my family through an RCI exchange! My home resort is ORANGE LAKE in Kissemme, Fl. I'm a 16 year owner(the premier time share in the US) I've exchanged dozens of times all over the world(Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy, Malta etc)! Paradisus is the one and only resort that can compare to Orange Lake!! World class all the way!! To those who may think they are expert reviewers. Stay home, eat your chicken nuggets, mac'n cheese! You are in the bottom 1/2 of 1% that can never be pleased!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ascerri
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review about stay in our property. As a service oriented company our devoutness is to provide quality service beyond our guests´ expectations.

I am glad to learn that you have appreciated the friendliness and dedication demonstrated from our staff, especially from Felix de la Cruz, Alexis, Cristian Castro, Ramon Fuego and Franklin de Salas. I will gladly pass your comments to them.

Thank you for selecting our hotel and for extending us your valuable comments.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My fiance and I spent 4 nights at the resort. At check-in, we upgraded to Royal Service for US$468 to improve our experience. Things went ok until the very last night. When we came to the room in the evening, we realized all of our cash (kept in our wallets inside our luggage) was taken. Situation was immediatelly reported to Mr. Domingo Beltre, hotel guest manager, who promptly initiated an internal investigation procedure. While they found out that only housekeeping and mini bar replacement were in the room that day, they asked for a 72 hours window to conclude on the investigation. A week after we took off, I received a call from Mr. Beltre (after leaving at least 4 messages and exchanging a few emails) saying they found no evidences and there was nothing to be done. I asked him to kindly consider refunding our Royal service upgrade money, because we obvisouly didn't get it. Mr. Beltre refused my request.
While it was our mistake and our decision not to use the safebox, this is not what you expect from a 5 star resort. Lesson learned. AVOID THIS RESORT

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Thiago Q
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Just got home yesterday and want to go back already! So many great things to say about this place but I will try to keep it short.

Went with my entire family of about 13 people for 7 days. The best part of the hotel was that all of us had a blast. Sometimes it is hard to cater to so many various age groups but they perfected it! Lots of young and older people at the resort which made for a great time for all of us!

The service was unbelievable! Anything you needed, they were able to accommodate. Room service at 4am? No problem! Golf, sailing, dance classes, fitness, volleyball...the list goes on. Was never a boring moment.

Also, the resort was remarkably clean! I don't think I saw one single piece of trash on the beach or by any of the amenities. The upkeep at the place is incredible.

The food at the buffet was okay. It was a bit repetitive but that was expected. There are several restaurants where you can make reservations and the food there was much better.

Only disappointing part was the service at the bars as well as the hotel "nightclub." Although it was a treat that most of the bars had brand name alcohol, it took forever to get a drink! Even when the bar wasn't busy, it sometimes took upwards of 10 minutes for a rum and coke or a beer. Also, the nightclub was boring. Such a shame because it looked beautiful inside but it was always dead. Never more than 20 or so people.

By far the best part of my trip was Freddy the bartender! He works the 11pm-6am shift at the "Skybar" which is the 24/7 beach bar. He was kind, talkative, and funny! I am a bit of a night owl so having him there made the trip so much better! He was also the most talented mixologist out of the whole staff as well as the most efficient bartender.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the beach/pools/bars. There is one central part where all the action is a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AdrianSimon91
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Great resort but beware of what may be crawling in your room. The bites happened when we were asleep and accumulated throughout the trip. We were told by the staff that the bites were caused by a very small flying insect that was hard to see. I would have researched it then but the internet at the resort was off line our entire stay. When we got home we research our experience and realized our bites were caused by bed bugs. We are praying none made the trip home with us. We stayed in building 38...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Vance H
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Ramon Fuego very nice guy he did every thing possible to make me feel like at home great guy liked him a lot so was Gustabo and Gloria at the pool bar. Well just with service like that and great characters i will return to this resort because is not just the resort what makes the place it is the people and the service of feeling satisfied

Room Tip: only thing i found it to be poor room where we stay was very nice in terms of deco and clean but the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Joseph C,

Warm greetings from Punta Cana!

I am glad to know that you enjoyed the outstanding service you have received from our staff, especially from Ramon Fuego, Gustabo and Gloria. We are aware that it is thanks to our great team that we can accomplish our goal, the total guests’ satisfaction.

Thank you for extending us your valuable comments.

We await you soon at your second home; Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

My husband and I just returned from 5 days at the Paradisus Palma Real. We stayed at the Royal Service area of the resort which was absolutely amazing. We had a private transfer from the hotel (arranged by our travel agent) which I would highly recommend. We arrived at the resort in under 20 minutes. From the minute we checked in, the staff of the Royal Service couldn't do enough for us. At check in we were offered a cold beverage in the private lobby of the Royal Service. We were introduced to our butler, who would be our "go-to" for our time there. Eduard Mendez was TOP NOTCH. Friendly, funny, accommodating for all of our needs. We were given a cell phone to contact him at any point during our visit, which he promptly answered. He helped us get sunscreen!! He made all of our reservations, even changing them at our request. He paid attention to our needs and wants. We were there to celebrate our 15 year anniversary a little early, we mentioned this in passing. He had a cake delivered to our room one night with a bottle of wine. Another night, he drew a bath in our room, complete with candles and rose petals that spelled out "LOVE". Francisco Gil at the Royal Service beach was AMAZING. He would set up our spot every morning, a beach bed close to the water, tables, towels. He also anticipated our every need, bringing us waters, (and many cocktails) with so much of a nod of our head. Juan Carlos at the Juice Bar on the beach at the Royal Service, another exceptional staff member. We were never without fresh squeezed pineapple juice or a beautiful plate of papaya, pineapple, watermelon and passion fruit. The staff truly looks out for their guests. We enjoyed our dinners at Gabi Beach (get the grilled lobster) and Palazzo (the risottos were amazing, and we are picky Italians). Breakfast and lunch at Naos were UNBELIEVABLE. The selection is plentiful, whether you want fresh fish, Dominican food, whatever! It is all there. We were a little disappointed with our dinner at Passions, the restaurant on the property that you have to pay for. The service was exceptional, but the cuisine was just fair. But don't let that sway you!! All in all, a beautiful resort, a beautiful country, staff that was on pointe with all of our needs. Well done, Paradisus Palma Real. We will be back, maybe bring our 4 kids with us!!

Room Tip: The Royal Service rooms are the only rooms that face the ocean. Worth the extra money to stay here!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JessBo58

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having the confidence in selecting us to celebrate such a special occasion, your 15th wedding anniversary.

I am glad to know that you and your husband have enjoyed our Royal Service Section of the hotel.

I appreciate your compliments to the friendliness and dedication demonstrated by our staff, especially from Eduard Mendez, Francisco Gil and Juan Carlos. I will gladly pass on your comments to them.

I regret that the food at our author cuisine Passion restaurant did not exceed your expectations. However, I would like to point that in general our guests perceive this restaurant as excellent.

Our team will be more than glad to welcome you and your children at your second home; Paradisus Palma Real Resort.