“Paradisus was Paradise”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Crestwood, Kentucky
“Paradisus was Paradise”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Palma Real in October of last year and everything about the trip was awesome. The entire resort is so beautiful and the Dominican Republic is a gorgeous country. We were there for my daughter's 4th birthday and they did everything the could to make it memorable for us, our concierge, Edgar, was very accommodating. Even went as far as taking pictures of us altogether on the beach, ordering a cake for our daughter's birthday and giving her a present at the end of our trip! Awesome guy and really made our stay at the hotel special, we will be back to DR just to see Edgar.

Stayed October 2013
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Evan,

Thank you for selecting us to celebrate such a special occasion, your daughter´s 4th birthday. As a service oriented company our devoutness is to provide quality service beyond our guests´ expectations.

I am pleased to learn that you and you family have had a wonderful stay in our property. Thank you for your compliments to our hotel and to this beautiful country.

I am glad to know that you have appreciated the friendliness and dedication demonstrated by Edgar, your concierge. You may rest assure that I took good notes of your observations.

Our team will be more than glad to welcome you and your family at your second home; Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Best regards,

Rafael Torres
Managing Director
Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,035)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Markham, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This was our first family vacation to the Caribbean and our first ever visit to an "all inclusive". Having heard stories of the typical all inclusive, I must say I was reluctant to book the trip. Upon the moment of arrival at the Paradisus Palma Real, my apprehension vanished as we were greeted most courteously and surrounded by the beautiful architecture of the lobby opening onto a spacious courtyard overlooking the beach and ocean. From that moment on, it was clear this place is not the stereotypical all inclusive. The food was excellent, facilities were beautiful, clean and well maintained, the evening performances and live music were amazing.

However our most enjoyable experiences were interactions with the staff. They were GREAT! We looked forward each morning the being greeted at breakfast by Juan Bautista's warm smile. He was so happy we were enjoying our experience. Gabi beach was very relaxing and George was most courteous and helpful everyday. We spent hours playing beach volleyball, zoomba classes, dance classes, kick boxing.....I was most impressed with the instructors who were all extremely hard working and most welcoming. Leo and Rachel were amazingly talented dancers who did a wonderful job teaching salsa and bachata. Yubi and Famel did not hesitate to find us during the live music nights and pull us onto the dance floor and help us with our dance steps learned earlier that day. I must also extend special thanks to Wilfredo, Francisco and "Big Mac". These guys added an unforgettable element to the trip. Dancers, athletes, entertainers, comedians...helped us dance, play and made us laugh. WOW these guys were awesome!

The Paradisus Palma Real exceeded our expectations in every respect. We look forward to coming back next year. Thank you for an unforgettable family experience!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Nothing about this trip was relaxing. Asked for quiet room and got a room facing neighboring hotel that played music till 3am. Had to move rooms 3 times to get one that was somewhat quiet. My wife left a dress in a closet when we had to pack up after the drunken couple in the adjoining room next door would not keep quiet. That dress was never seen again. House cleaning did not come clean the room another day even after I called 3 times to have them come. Was never given a reason as to why. All the rooms are filled with mosquitos. The free internet in the rooms was broken for 3 days. Every time I called front desk I got the same answer...someone will come fix it right away. It was never fixed. My wife cut her foot playing volleyball from a knife buried in the sand. The beach was not cleaned properly after a dinner event.
I arrived on a Wednesday and could only get dinner reservations to eat at 9:30pm for the next few nights. I told them I eat early and want to eat at 6 when everything opens. They told me to come back everyday at 3 and ask. I think they just want tips. Each night I walked by the restaurants and saw 2-3 tables full at 6. After complaining to almost everyone, I finally asked for the manager of the entire resort. If you pay extra money you get to see him right away I found out. Domingo tried to make things right and even drove my wife and I to the airport when our tour company never called us to arrange our prepaid transfer back to airport. Entire trip was one stress after another. We stayed at the Iberostar the year before. Rooms were much cleaner and place was much newer. Reason we changed was their food was horrible. Not sure what to do next....

Room Tip: If you choose...make sure you ask for Domingo Beltre if you have any issues. honestly he is the onl...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ireactivate
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I am not a "review" type of person, maybe because I'm easy to please! I can't leave Paradisus Palma Real without saying to those who think they are Michelin reviewers, and write a novel about how terrible the food and service was while staying here! Stay home and whine!! Paradisus is by far the best there is in the DR!! The staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly.(Notable mentions-- Felix de la Cruz, Alexi(chef), Franklin de Salas(waiter), Ramon Fuego (wet) bartender, Cristian Castro(waiter) and so on!! I'm here for a week with my family through an RCI exchange! My home resort is ORANGE LAKE in Kissemme, Fl. I'm a 16 year owner(the premier time share in the US) I've exchanged dozens of times all over the world(Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy, Malta etc)! Paradisus is the one and only resort that can compare to Orange Lake!! World class all the way!! To those who may think they are expert reviewers. Stay home, eat your chicken nuggets, mac'n cheese! You are in the bottom 1/2 of 1% that can never be pleased!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ascerri
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review about stay in our property. As a service oriented company our devoutness is to provide quality service beyond our guests´ expectations.

I am glad to learn that you have appreciated the friendliness and dedication demonstrated from our staff, especially from Felix de la Cruz, Alexis, Cristian Castro, Ramon Fuego and Franklin de Salas. I will gladly pass your comments to them.

Thank you for selecting our hotel and for extending us your valuable comments.

Best regards,

Rafael Torres
Managing Director
Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My fiance and I spent 4 nights at the resort. At check-in, we upgraded to Royal Service for US$468 to improve our experience. Things went ok until the very last night. When we came to the room in the evening, we realized all of our cash (kept in our wallets inside our luggage) was taken. Situation was immediatelly reported to Mr. Domingo Beltre, hotel guest manager, who promptly initiated an internal investigation procedure. While they found out that only housekeeping and mini bar replacement were in the room that day, they asked for a 72 hours window to conclude on the investigation. A week after we took off, I received a call from Mr. Beltre (after leaving at least 4 messages and exchanging a few emails) saying they found no evidences and there was nothing to be done. I asked him to kindly consider refunding our Royal service upgrade money, because we obvisouly didn't get it. Mr. Beltre refused my request.
While it was our mistake and our decision not to use the safebox, this is not what you expect from a 5 star resort. Lesson learned. AVOID THIS RESORT

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Thiago Q
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Just got home yesterday and want to go back already! So many great things to say about this place but I will try to keep it short.

Went with my entire family of about 13 people for 7 days. The best part of the hotel was that all of us had a blast. Sometimes it is hard to cater to so many various age groups but they perfected it! Lots of young and older people at the resort which made for a great time for all of us!

The service was unbelievable! Anything you needed, they were able to accommodate. Room service at 4am? No problem! Golf, sailing, dance classes, fitness, volleyball...the list goes on. Was never a boring moment.

Also, the resort was remarkably clean! I don't think I saw one single piece of trash on the beach or by any of the amenities. The upkeep at the place is incredible.

The food at the buffet was okay. It was a bit repetitive but that was expected. There are several restaurants where you can make reservations and the food there was much better.

Only disappointing part was the service at the bars as well as the hotel "nightclub." Although it was a treat that most of the bars had brand name alcohol, it took forever to get a drink! Even when the bar wasn't busy, it sometimes took upwards of 10 minutes for a rum and coke or a beer. Also, the nightclub was boring. Such a shame because it looked beautiful inside but it was always dead. Never more than 20 or so people.

By far the best part of my trip was Freddy the bartender! He works the 11pm-6am shift at the "Skybar" which is the 24/7 beach bar. He was kind, talkative, and funny! I am a bit of a night owl so having him there made the trip so much better! He was also the most talented mixologist out of the whole staff as well as the most efficient bartender.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the beach/pools/bars. There is one central part where all the action is a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AdrianSimon91
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Great resort but beware of what may be crawling in your room. The bites happened when we were asleep and accumulated throughout the trip. We were told by the staff that the bites were caused by a very small flying insect that was hard to see. I would have researched it then but the internet at the resort was off line our entire stay. When we got home we research our experience and realized our bites were caused by bed bugs. We are praying none made the trip home with us. We stayed in building 38...

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple