“SUPERB ROYAL SERVICE!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
santo domingo
“SUPERB ROYAL SERVICE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Although I was hesitant at the check-in to upgrade my room that was the best decision I could have ever taken.Even as the Paradisus is a nice hotel there is absolutely another level at the Royal Service area of the resort.The perfection of the experience brought by the staff is something I havent experienced in any hotel in DR or the caribbean.A mention has to be made to the impressive butler who went to great lenghts to make us feel special and pamper us in every possible way,let me tell you I am very picky and not easy to feel pampered but this butler (unfortunately I forgot his name) surpassed my expectations.The food and beverage area is very good except the steak house where we were served something they called picanha but its not and it was so awfully cooked that the manager had to go personally to our table to retrieve it and express his apologies,it came back quickly,it wasnt very good either but I appreciated the effort and concern they put in my complaint.About the Palazzo restaurant its unbelievable that they provide an excellent service,impressive setting and good quality of the food (they have to check the temperature of the dishes though,it normally came out cold) and then they use the SAME menu everyday,its like telling you "hey,just come today and tomorrow and then find another place to eat".Overall I was delighted with the Royal Service treatment but disappointed with the non-royal service area of the resort,its like a whole different resort inside another where the poor Paradisus guests can only contemplate the excellent service and fastuous food and drinks provided to the royals and they get a lower quality experience.As an example just compare the Palazzo and the main buffet,it doesn't admit any comparison.I'm sorry for them but I did have the time of my life,planning to come back next month for a week

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

3 Thank Sibarii

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,992)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is one of the most beautiful stretches of beach I have ever seen! Don't venture too far far down the beach or you will be pestered by the sales pitches for those peddling their wares. The resort security does a good job of keeping them off the resort beach, but they do allow those selling excursions. If you are firm in telling them no, they will leave you alone. There was adequate seating ln the beach but there were not servers to bring drinks. Apparently, you must be concierge level to receive beach service.
The main pool area was nice and we especially enjoyed the in pool loungers. There was not adequate seating around the pool deck. The swim up bar is nice but lacks enough bar tenders to handle how busy they get--expect to wait a considerable amount of time to be served. The first afternoon we were there, there were no beach towels but that didn't seem to be a problem the rest of the week.
The rooms are spacious and clean, with nice bedding. Our room was cleaned each day and our fridge restocked with what we requested. It was nice to have room service but it did take quite a while to get our food. You may want to bring hour own wash cloths because we only got them the first day. Once they were dirty and taken away, they were not replaced--despite our repeated requests daily. Air conditioning worked very well.
The casino was nice but small. The evening entertainment was good, especially the MJ tribute show.The bar upstairs in the lobby is fabulous and has wonderful premium drinks.
My major complaint with the resort is that they require reservations for dinner at the a la carte restaurants. The reservations must be made daily and are difficult to obtain. We were told that reservations were all taken many times, only to see the restaurants mostly empty in the evening. This seems to be their way of pushing guests to eat the buffet. We were not told prior to or at check in that the largest restaurant was closed for construction due to a fire. The buffets usually there were moved to a ballroom. The buffets were good but you have a walk a long distance to get to them. The outdoor buffet and grill is good for hamburgers and tacos but gets old. Gabi beach was the best restaurant we ate at for dinner and their lunch buffet was great. The Asian fusion restaurant was very good also. We couldn't get reservations at the other restaurants, which was very disappointing. No one wants to be on a tight schedule or hassel with reservations on vacation!
Second major complaint was the construction on the restaurants. The jack hammers are not relaxing when you are by the pool.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Salt Lake UT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

First off - the good things about the hotel. I was with a group and in the Royal Service section some of my group had a fantastic butler Joanna - she is the best! The pools are amazing and the bell boys do a great job.

Overall good stay for my group. Some things that could stand to have improvement:
WiFi - never really worked properly for guests in their rooms and was slow in the lobby.
Restaurant reservations: They need a couple more options so that people aren't left with only 9:30pm dinner times.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for selecting Paradisus Palma Real to celebrate your vacations and for sharing the impressions of your recent stay with us.

I am more than glad to know that you and your friends have appreciated the friendliness and dedication demonstrated by Joana, your butler. I will gladly pass your comments to her.

Your observations are very important to us as they allow us to identify our improvement areas. Receive my sincerest apologies if we were not able to meet your expectations regarding the restaurant reservations and the wifi service. I assure you, that the managers of the various departments involved have been informed of your particular observations, and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

I am looking forward to host your next stay in this paradise.

Montego Bay, Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed 2 night at the hotel. Very impressive property, super friendly staff who speak excellent English and who also are patient when you butcher the Spanish language.

The food was excellent both buffet and the restaurants. The drinks served at the bar beside where they have the buffet was amazing. I had a strawberry martini, the bartender, crushed fresh strawberries used to shelf booze and the result was Amazeballs.

The room was huge, looked like a Suite. The let down for this hotel was the WiFi was so unreliable it was hard to get things done. We were there on business.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Savina T,

Thank you for taking the time to share the impressions of your recent stay in our property. As a service committed company our devoutness is to provide quality service beyond our guests´ expectation.

I truly appreciate your compliments to our hotel, staff, the food and our beverages.

Please receive my most sincere apologies for not fulfilling your expectations regarding the wifi service. I assure you that the managers of the department involved have been informed of your particular observation and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Thank you for extending us your valuable comments. I am looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Grayson, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My friends and I just returned yesterday from the Palma Real on a Mother's Day trip. Our trip started out eventful after staying at the Melia Tropical for one night then we moved to the Palma Real. The service here is outstanding..the staff is wonderful..shout out to our butler Juan Castillo that took care of every detail for us like running a bath for us on Mother's Day and making all of our reservations for the restaurants. The Royal Service is the way to go..another shout out to Franklin De La Cruz for giving us outstanding customer service.

The drinks at the Lobby Bar rocks!! This is a beautiful resort, but they did fall short on some minor areas..reason for the four stars. WiFi sucks big time..don't expect to get a consistent connection. They had several power outages while we were there and the food left little to be desired. We tried most of the restaurants, but the Pallazo Royal Service restaurant was the most consistent. The nightclub was okay, but they do have bars that stay open till 7am in the morning. I'm not sure if I would come back..but I had a great time overall.

Room Tip: Stay in the Royal Service
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Audrey Vassell,

Thank you for having the confidence in selecting Paradisus Palma Real to celebrate such a special occasion, the mother´s day. As a service committed company our devoutness is to provide quality service beyond our guests´ expectation.

It is an honor to me to know that you have received an outstanding service from our staff, especially from Juan Castillo at our Royal Service section and Franklin De La Cruz at the customer service area. We are ware that it is thanks to personnel like them that we can achieve our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests.

Please receive my most sincere apologies if some of our services did not fulfill your expectations. As your opinion is of the utmost importance to us, your concerns have been forwarded to the managers of various departments involved and appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Sincerely yours,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Once you arrive - do NOT exchange your money from US to the Dominican peso. They take US everywhere and actually prefer it. The peso exchange rate varies so widely every day - even every hour- that it is a bit of a gamble to change out your native cash.

Take a cab. You will try to get talked into taking a transportation company -- a cab ride from the airport should be no more than $30. Tell who ever approaches you that you have transportation. And if you ever feel like you are being swindled just ask the bell desk when you arrive how much the cab should cost.

Take special care to use insect repellent. I was eaten alive! There is a lot of great advice out there about taking supplements or which repellent to use. I didn't even think about it and the bites hurt really bad.

The resort grounds are beautiful and impeccably maintained. However, the grounds are very big which means that rooms can be spread out quite a bit.

Traveling with family (elderly & people with disabilities) - -
We traveled with family members who have a disability and were elderly. We were all spread out over the resort because of weddings and overbooking. So, we needed to walk across the resort to get to someone's room. The heat of the day combined with the distance needed to walk to get to our family took it's toll on some of the members of our group. It was also very difficult to communicate with people - we had relied on the free wifi to be able to text each other and the wifi rarely worked.

It was also very hard to get any sort of reservation for one of the many restaurants the resort has on location. We ended up having to make multiple reservations to try to get in to one of the restaurants - this worked one of the nights. The food at the restaurants is much better than the food at the buffets.

Traveling as a couple --
We also spent some time at the resort just the two of us. This was more of the relaxing part of the trip. We had a great time by the pool and beach. When we would get to the pool we would see a lot of chairs reserved... no one ever showed up for the chairs so we found a great spot overlooking the beach, the bar, and the pool. If you enjoy drinking, and do not know this, I would recommend being generous with your bar staff. The staff there can be incredibly helpful and really do add to the experience - but you pay for the service you want. I should also note that dinning at the restaurants is much easier if there are only two of you!

The spa is great. They take you to little huts to give massage. I would recommend for men that you wear boxer briefs or something that is not bulky as they ask you to remove those items but during the massage they sometimes leave the door to the hut open... not so much privacy if you are turning on the table. To us, it wasn't a big deal as there is no one around - but others are more modest.

Overall, this was a great trip because we love to travel and can handle the unexpected issues. However, on the list of places I have been I wouldn't rate it as a place I would return to.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to VIP status because they did not have a room for us when we arrived. The only rea...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, please accept our gratitude for you having taken the time to share the impressions of your recent stay in our property. As a service oriented company our goal is to only to achieve but also to surpass our guests´ expectation; therefore your opinion is of the utmost importance to us.

I am more than glad to know that have had a relaxing time by the pool and beach, and that you also have enjoyed your massage session at our Yhi Spa.

Please receive my most sincere apologies if we were not able to fulfill your expectations regarding the distance between your rooms, wifi and dinner reservations. I assure you that the managers of various departments involved have been informed of your particular observations and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

I hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you back and restore your faith in our hotel.

Sincerely yours,

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Outstanding resort with excellent service reps. One employee that stands head and shoulders above the rest is Marcos F. Teocadio. This employee went above and beyond what was expected. Also, the Lobby bartender, Yesenia Farias is a master of her trade and should be the manager of The Lobby Bar -- Without a question!

Rudy
Jacksonville FL/Sacramento CA

Room Tip: Royal Service section of Paradisus Palma Real Resort; or other rooms in the main building.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rudy S
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Rudy S,

It is an honor for me to read your comments about the excellent experience that you have had in our property.

I am proud enough to know that you have appreciated the outstanding service you received from Yesenia Frías and Marcos Florentino. We are aware that it is thanks to our great team that we can achieve our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests.

I am looking forward to welcome you back at this paradise to have another excellent experience.