“excellent service”

Ranked #20 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
“excellent service”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

my name is Luis Garcia and i was at paradisus palma real on may 20th to the 22nd of 2014. beautiful wonderful place will go there again and again. I want to Thanks Oxnard for being such a great and helpful staff and make of paradisus palma Real a more fun place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jimmy G
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Luis Garcia,

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments about the beauty of our hotel.

Thank you for your comments to the great service you have received from Oxnard. I will gladly pass your compliments to him.

Once more, thank you for preferring Paradisus Palma Real and I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Paradisus Resorts DR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,127)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I just returned stayed at the Melia Paradisus Palma Real from June 2-June 6 and did not want to leave. Franklin De La Cruz, our concierge was AMAZING! He made sure that we had every thing that we needed upon arrival and attended to us throughout the duration of our stay. Make sure that ask for him.
Liony Familia is one of the best bartenders in the Lobby Bar; he mixed some of the BEST drinks and has a GREAT personality. Julio, I can't remember his last name but he is a bartender at the Red Lounge Bar on the bottom floor is an EXCELLENT bartender as well. We did not know what we wanted to drink, but he mixed us up a drink that we loved. He was extremely patient when we asked for more! Raphael gave us excellent service. He is located at the bar by the grab and go
If you are looking for excellent service in a beautiful location, PLEASE visit the Paradisus Palma Real. Luis who works at the Market Grill Restaurant was SO patient with us on our first night at the resort. He made sure that we were comfortable and had every thing that we needed. I am looking forward to coming back to this resort in the future.

The food at the resort ranged from average to good. The best food that I had was at the Bana Restaurant in the Hibachi area. Our chef was very entertaining and had a lot of personality. That was the best food that I had at the resort during my stay. The fried ice cream with red wine sauce was REALLY good. The breakfast was good. I like the fact they offered a wide variety of foods. I didn't like the salad dressings on the salad. It was kind of weird. The drinks at the resort are great thought. The best part about my experience was the impeccable service that I received!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all I’d like to thank you for choosing Paradisus Palma Real. It is a pleasure to learn that your experience with us has been of your complete satisfaction which is our main goal. Our team works hard and put all our efforts in providing our guests with the best quality service possible, just as you deserve.

Once again I would like to thank you for your compliments on our service and staff, especially to Franklin De La Cruz, Liony Familia, Julio, Raphael and Luis. I will gladly pass your comments to each one of them.

We await you soon at your “home away from home” in Punta Cana, Paradisus Palma Real.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

this place is fantastic to relax and enjoy the sun and the ocean. The staff go above on beyond to make you feel at home and comfortable. Francisco at the Royal Service beach was always visiting us to make sure my wife and I were okay and to assist us with drink or snack. Ramon Fuego from the Market Grill bar is great, although he is missed by the pool bar where he used to put drinks on his head and bring them to the guests. When you are away from home it is nice to feel that the place you are staying makes you feel like at home. I have to say we did not want to leave the beach area because Francisco pampered us so we can relax. Melia Palma Real is doing a good job on training the staff who face the guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Iris J,

Thank you for visiting us one more time. For us, it is always a pleasure to receive frequent guests; it feels like having your family at the property! Thank you a lot for being an assiduous guest of Paradisus Palma Real.

I am glad to know that we were able to make you feel pampered, this is our main goal. I truly appreciate your compliments to the warmth and dedication demonstrated by Francisco Cabrera and Ramón fuego. We are that our great team plays a key role on the satisfaction of our guests.

Our team is already looking forward to welcome you at home away from home; Paradisus Palma Real.

Merrick, New York
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My boyfriend and I were looking for the perfect hotel to stay at in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic considering he had never been to the country before. We came across the Paradisus Palma Real and couldn't have been happier with our decision. From the courteous staff to the amazing food to the beautiful views, we would move here if it were possible. The grounds are extremely clean and the staff is attentive to any need that you have. Everything was so easy to find and do with the help of everyone there. Vladimir was INCREDIBLE and was such a help. He set us up in the most beautiful room and took care of anything that we needed. Our butler Yohel was amazing as well. If you are looking for a relaxing, beautiful vacation, this is the place to stay!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, pay the extra money to say in the royal service area. You will be provid...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I'm not sure how people find so many things to complain about at the resorts. Maybe I'm just easy to please?

The food was fantastic. The Service was wonderful. The amenities were plentiful.

The nightlife might not be what some are looking for, but it was more than enough entertainment for us. The wifi was pretty bad, but a small blimp on our vacation radar.
We did have reserve and vip access, although we stayed in a "regular" Jr Suite closer to the beach.
I read some complain about the large size of the resort, but this certainly wasn't a negative aspect for us. And jumping on a golf cart is always available and simple.

My wife loved the spa (she went 2x). I played golf at Cocatal 3x. It is a beautiful, and fun course that was in fantastic condition. I did feel the cart and club rentals were a little exorbitant ($20 cart/ $40 clubs), and thats for the older clubs and cart. The "executive" cart and club rentals cost about $100 (for 2012 RocketBallz clubs). I was able to work it out with the resort so that I only had to pay for the cart and clubs 1 day (thank you Juan Sedeno!)

The Beaches and Beach service was wonderful. We stayed on the reserve beach most days. There are also 3 other sections. The most crowded we ever noticed was still less than 50% capacity. I never noticed more than maybe 10% occupancy on the "regular" beach.

For those interested in tennis, the courts were always available and in good condition. Andy, the pro, was always available, friendly, and helpful. There was never an extra charge for tennis (although its listed as $)

There are 2 fitness centers. We only used the main one, but it was great. Honestly, more than I expected from a resort fitness facility.

There's nothing about this resort that I wouldn't recommend. We're already making plans to return next May.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

1 Thank 1kayakmaker1
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We just returned from a week long vacation at the Paradisus Palma Real. The place is beautiful and the staff are amazing. We stayed in the Royal Service part of the hotel. Let me start by saying that upon check in we met Sharlin Olivo in the Royal Service lounge who went above and beyond for us. My son left the camera bag in the van that transported us from the airport and she made repeated calls to the company to get it back. Next we met our butler, Jeuri Ferreira, he was amazing. He also helped in getting us the camera back. He made all of our dinner reservations, had a nice bath with rose petals waiting for us one day, always checked in on us and made sure we had everything we needed. He was the best you should request him. Francisco Cabrera and Francisco Gil made sure we had our beds set up on the beach for us each day and brought us drinks all day long. They were both great. Jorge Aceveda the guy at the juice bar was also great he made us smoothies and also cut up fresh fruit and brought it to us. It was nice to always see a smile on his face. Leonardo Mota the bartender at the Royal Service pool was the best. He made strong drinks and was always singing while making them. He is definitely an entertaining man. The Paradisus is lucky to have him. A few other employees that went out of their way were Richard Ortiz , and I think her name was Stephanie at the Palazzo restaurant. Jonathan Lopez the bartendtender at the Bana restaurant made us a drink called the Jonathan special and it was the best drink I had. Definitely try one! Although he was not my butler, Johnfi Rivera was very nice everytime he saw us and asked if everything was ok. The staff and the scenery make this hotel. The food is just ok. If we did not do the Royal Service I don't know if we would have been able to stay all week. With the Royal Service we were able to eat at Palazzo thank you for that. The breakfast and lunch at the other restaurants was horrible. Our dinners were good.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room in the Royal Service area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 7 June 2014

For starters, I can understand why an average or less than frequent traveler would rate this property 5 stars. It is very nice and I will comment on some of my experiences. I rate this resort 4, based on an extensive amount of travel experience I have. I don't typically stay at all inclusive resorts, but a majority of the hotels in Punta Cana are all inclusive.
Secondly, the reviewers who comment this resort is "perfect" or that it's the best resort in the caribbean are mistaken. Also, the reviewers that comment on how nice there weather was when they were does not help you in your travel decision. Instead of writing a novel, I am going to make this as short and sweet as I can.

I stayed May 2014 in a partial ocean view room, Royal Service package.

The Positives:
1- The resort grounds and lobby are absolutely amazing. I haven't seen a hotel in Punta Cana that can compare. Open air lobby lobby with perfect views of the pool and ocean.
2- The pool and beach area are excellent as well. The pool is gigantic and there was always plenty of space. The beach area is very quiet and the ocean was just right.
3- The rooms were not elegant, but they were above average. The in-room jacuzzi is a nice tough, but everything else is was nothing spectacular. Partial ocean view rooms are only partial ocean views if you lean over the balcony. The mini-bar was pretty good too.
4- Overall, the restaurants were above average. They offer a good variety and selection of different foods. We are very picky eaters and we found stuff that we enjoyed at all of the restaurants. I really enjoyed the grilled lobster at Market Grill. The steak was hit or miss.
5- The cleaning staff was outstanding and I would give them 5 stars. They were always there early in the day and did an outstanding job. They were also very friendly.

The Negatives:
1- The so called 500 "resort credit" offered when we booked online ended up being a complete scam. I was extremely disappointed. Essentially, they are just coupons to use towards stuff that you have to purchase. They should be called "resort coupons." Example, several of them were 10 dollar coupons for purchase of wine. Well, at an all inclusive resort I don't really want to spend much money out of pocket. Their wine for purchase was extremely expensive. All the other coupons were bad, except for the Spa discount, which we used and saved me 50 dollars. I didn't think a resort this large would have to offer gimmicks to get people to make reservations, but I guess not.
2- The excursion/Tour Guide desk was a complete disaster. There are three different companies all at the same desk, and you have to choose one. They offer the same tours, but at different prices. Also, they didn't know anything about the tours and were reluctant to try and explain anything. I would think they could offer suggestions or have a list of most popular excursions, but instead they have a bunch of outdated fliers.
3- The seating and reservation process at the restaurants was strange. I understand why they have to take reservations and spread things out, but there would be two or three other couples in the restaurant and they would sit us 2-3 feet from them.
4- The bars didn't offer a drink menu or any "specialty" drinks. I think this would be a nice touch and help guests decide. The resort should have a few signature cocktails.
5- The pool and cabana service was weak. If you are really aggressive and find someone, make sure to tip and tell them to come back or you won't see them again.
6- While I wouldn't say the service was "great," it was pretty good. The workers and servers really tried hard. They just need some more training, but they do a pretty good job in the restaurant. I tipped most of them in the restaurants if they did good.
7- Wifi. Wifi works occasionally. I believe the resort is in the process of fixing this.

Finally, I will review my Royal Service Experience. Most people want to know, "Is Royal Service worth it or not?" The answer is "well, maybe." I will start with the bad.

1- The Butler services were terrible. Other than making reservations at restaurants, which he screwed up, he really didn't do anything for us. He was hard to get ahold of and really at the end of the day, it didn't work out for us. So, luck or the draw, maybe you will get one of the better Butlers. One evening he told us, "I can't get you a reservation at Market Grill, I am sorry." Immediately after, I walked directly to the Market Grill and asked for a reservation at 9, and they said, "yes, of course." I believe the purpose of the Butler is to essentially "control" the guests. He was persistent we only use one tour company, and was making reservations without consulting us. He let us down in the end, when the concierge didn't show up to pick up our bags and we had to carry them across entire resort. I tried calling, but he didn't answer his phone.
2- The hotel does not police the Royal Service areas. Other guests end up in the Royal Service areas, and I never saw the resort manage that at any point.
3- No drink service to the cabanas.

The good:
1- Royal Service pool and beach area are much quieter and have nice chairs, day beds, and cabanas. We never had an issue getting one. They day beds were really nice to lay on the beach. The other side has basic chairs and no cabanas. Royal Service has two private pools that are Royal Service only.
2- The smoothie bar in Royal Service was nice. They make fresh fruit smoothies all day.
3- No kids in Royal Service
4- Location of Royal Service rooms are much closer to the beach
5- Access to the Palazio restaurant and breakfast in the morning. The breakfast here felt more private and upscale, as it was just reserved for Royal Service guests.
6- Free access to the spa at resort, and YHi spa at the reserve. The YHi spa was outstanding! I highly recommend.

So, you have to decide if the good vs bad I mentioned is worth the extra money. Also, you will take a risk of having a bad Butler. For us, the good outweighed the bad because the resort grounds, beach, and pool are outstanding. Personally, I think they should just do away with the Butler service.

Overall, despite some complaints in Royal Service, we had a great stay so I rate it 4 stars. We enjoyed the privacy of Royal Service. Make sure if you stay here you are aggressive, or you won't get drinks. In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with this resort, but let's not call it "perfect."

Note to manager: We started off on a bad note when the hotel forgot to pick us up. I sent the hotel three e-mails requesting pick-up, and they never responded. I followed the instructions exactly on their website. When I checked in, I mentioned this and the employee told me, "show me the e-mails." Sorry, at that point it was too late. At check-out, not one person asked us, "how was your stay." Employees saw us carrying our own luggage out and nobody said a word. Get rid of that resort credit! It was very misleading. The actual employee herself at check-in told us the only good ones are the spa and casino one. Our check-in and check-out overall here was an F.

Room Tip: Partial Ocean view rooms were disappointing because the only way you could see the ocean was to lean...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo