“The most relaxed I have ever been”

Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #20 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
“The most relaxed I have ever been”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon in August. We stayed in the "members section" on my in-law's account. We planned to stay from Monday to Saturday, but then extended our trip two more days to leave the next Monday. We could have easily stayed another full week if we did not have things to do back in Boston.

The weather was excellent, the facilities were beautifully designed and maintained (except for one of the dining areas that was under construction and produced lots of noise from 9am to midnight), and the service was bar-none the best I have ever experienced. All of the staff was bilingual or trilingual (english and spanish, many had Hatian Creole, some had french or italian or russian). All of the staff greeted us with a smile and went out of their way to please us without ever asking for a tip. After a few days at the resort, most of the staff new us by face and name. Bar tenders like Ramón Fuego at the Sky Bar would greet me with a joyous exclamation- "Hey! My friend from Boston! How's your new wife? You want the usual?" and then would hand me the drink that I had intended to order. Mind-blowing. Even the gardeners that did not typically engage in customer service, were wonderful. Julio Ceciño Mejía. I swear, that man deserves a raise. One day, I ask him for a coconut. He gives me two. I drink the water, he swings by the pool, offers to split it for me and before I know it, I have two perfectly sliced coconuts with the meat shaved off neatly for me and my wife to eat. From then on, our pool days started with two freshly cut cocos. He was also a great conversationalist in a mix of French and Spanish. Very fun man. Joseph, over at the Cigar bar at Gabi Beach was also fascinating. He helped me figure out my purchases politely and then conversed with me for as long as I wanted on politics and education, and all sorts of fun topics. A very interesting, wholesome, and driven young man. A joy to talk to. Maria at the coffee station was also fantastic. She memorized my daily order after two days and greeted me with a smile every time. She even sent me off with a pack of vanilla flavored cigars that she has laying around because she knew I liked them. Michellet, Gabriel, and Junior at the pool bar were also fantastic people. Always smiling. Always going the extra mile to provide me with whatever my heart desired and all while making me laugh with pleasant conversation.

All in all, my experience at Paradisus Palma Real, was nothing short of amazing. I cannot wait to go again. I have never been that relaxed in my life. I was able to de-stress so much, that I returned to Boston with a drive and motivation to work at my graduate program that I had not experienced since I was first accepted to the university.

I wish I could fund a week long trip for everyone I know.

Room Tip: The member suites are excellent. The ones with patios and living rooms are awesome and well worth it...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,127)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gastonia, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Paradisus Palma Real for a week to celebrate my big 40th. birthday and must say that I enjoyed every second there, we were in the Royal Service.
Angelo our butler made sure our stay there was extra special. The day of my birthday I was greeted by rose pebbles as I entered the room with a bubble bath filled with balloons a bottle of champagne and a birthday cake! (A Very Nice Surprise Indeed Thanks Angelo) Our room was cleaned twice a day in the morning and in the evening they would come back to get our bed ready for the night. Our small refrigerator was stock everyday with beer, water, and soft drinks.
The beach was beautiful and our spot on the beach was ready for us every morning and Martin Tineo was there ready to take our drink order he also made our stay here extra special making sure we got plenty to drink and even shared his lunch with us. Thank you Martin Tineo for your awesome customer service and being you we hope to one-day be back and get to see you again you made our stay that much better.
We also tried out the spa (extra for this service) and the person to ask for is Rizalyn she will make you feel so comfortable explaining all that she will be doing. Was worth every penny for her service!
I can go on and on about this place and the people but overall we had a WONDERFUL time and WISHED we could had stayed longer, but hope to return soon. Like I tell everyone here in the states, I fell in love with the country, the food and esp. the people!

Veronica

Room Tip: Get the Royal Service!!!!! The cost is well worth it.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 August 2014

So we are coming up on our one year anniversary and i am only now able to bring myself to write a review. I still can't even look at the wedding photos without crying.

Deep breath: here's how it all went down.

After months of emailing back and fourth i get down there and NOTHING is set. I have a meeting and go over EVERYTHING i thought was alreay worked out. After a series of arguments with a very rude romance planner i sat down and again explained that i wanted white wild flowers with green sprigs in all of the bouquets. She says she will give me plain white roses and they want to charge me through the nose for special boquets even though this comes standard with the package. Eventualy she agrees to do white with sprigs of green, no idea why this is an issue in the first place. On the day of the wedding my flowers are pefect. However, all of my bridesmaids have neon green/yellowy roses. They do not fix this. They do charge me. The pictures with bridesmaids now look absurd unless they are in black and white. The black ribbon they used to wrap the wrong flowers got wet waiting in the vases and leaked maroon all over our hands and my white wedding gown which is subsequently ruined. They do nothing about this, not even an apology or offer to clean my destroyed wedding gown. Just hand me and my bridesmaids a bunch of wet cocktail napkins from a nearby bar and hurry us down the aisle. Similarly i wanted white roses with various colored flowers in them on the tables. I say as long as they are mixed colors i don't care what flowers they use except for birds of paradise, which i hate. No birds of paradise please! This is given to them over the phone, in e-mail with photos for clarification and in person. How did the centerpieces turn out? All white roses with three birds of paradise plopped in the middle. Again I am charged through the nose for special flowers. The reception itself, I was assured, would be in an off the beaten path location on the beach. It was instead directly next to the entertainment/main pavillion of the resort, strangers walked into our wedding several times. This was the reception (which all things aside was a blast!!) so it was not as bad as when a man in a speedo tried to walk through my ceremony while my dad and I were prepariong to walk down the aisle. I had to stop my heartfelt father daughter moment with my dad before he gave me away to shout at a man in a speedo, yes the guests heard me. No idea where the staff was who, I was assured, would keep our event private.

At this point my wedding was running two hours behind because the phone lines went out in the resort and i couldn't get a hold of my romance coordinator to come to the spa and help me with the language barrier. They took 6 hours to paint my nails (they have no dryers so with the heat and humidity they were still wet at the wedding) do my makeup, which was a disaster and my hair which was all wrong. My big soft curls were tiny poodle spirals. I had to rake the curls out smudge up my eyeliner and run (looking like i just got back from the beach basically) to our ride from the reserve to the main resort. The van they had set up was in fact 1 golf cart for my entire bridal party, my girls held my dress over my head while we sped along, further messing my already disastrous hair and maroon hands/dress situation. While my guests waited they had been coralled into the gym where it was air conditioned to stand around in an awkward way breathing in other people's BO. Awesome.

They front loaded all of the wedding tradtions (father daughter dance, toasts, announcements etc.) into the first 30 minutes of the night, totally ignored our itinerary. Everyone commented on how weird this was. They threw away our cake topper, which my sister spent weeks making for me as her gift and a special wedding keepsake to hopefully pass on to my daughter. Sorry lady, we chucked it! Because of the lateness i got no getting ready photos, or even time with my bridesmaids and very few formal photos as we lost the light. Oh, also, the formal photos were supposed to be taken somewhere away form the reception site, but were in fact taken right next to it as my guests watched, the result is a lot of awkward "someone is watching me" looking photos.

I did like our photographer. The DJ and light up dance floor were great. Food was good. Weather was perfect. Rooms were gorgeous and we returned on our wedding night to rose petals, champagne and a bubble bath, all a lovely and romantic suprise! Be careful with this place though. In hindsight i should have demended to see a clock at the spa when i felt like it was getting late. I should have demaned that they fix the flowers and compensate me for my dress, cake topper and some of the photos as the session ended up being cut very short. Frankly I assumed with all of the messes they would offer it!! It was my special day, and it was a mess. I was kind of heartbroken and just didn't even think to fight it out.

A few final notes: there is no air conditioning outside of the gym and bedrooms. The WiFi doesn't work outside of the rooms so don't depend on internet messenger apps to communicate with your people. If you book the reserve it will take a lot of time out of your trip traveling to the main resort to see your guests. Also, the guards there will fight with you trying to keep non reserve people out even if it is your bridal party on your freaking wedding day! Yeah, that happened, made my poor mom cry!

So there you have it. If it wasn't a sunset wedding maybe we could have fixed a lot of this. If I was a little less emotional maybe i could have gotten some consideration for all of the crap that went down. As it stands what i have is a wedding album that makes me cry every time i look at it and a husband who doesn't understand why looking terrible on my special day in a setting that was all wrong upsets me when all that matters to him is that we are man and wife. I don't know how to explain to him that i dreamed of this my entire life and poured endless hours of planning and heart into my vision for it. I just sniffle and smile at him because i was lucky enough to marry a man who didn't see a mess standing at the altar, just his bride.

12 Thank The L
New Hampshire
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Paradisus Palma Real from August 1st to the 6th. We went to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Our entire trip was wonderful. The place is beautiful and Royal Service was amazing. Our room was very nice and clean. Our butler Jeuri Ferreira was so nice and attentive. He checked in with us a few times a day to make sure we were ok and to see if we needed anything. He made all of our dinner reservations so we didn't have to worry about that. He also had a wonderful bubble bath and cake waiting for us on the night of our anniversary. I was sad that we didn't get to say good-bye to him before we left, our ride to the airport came a little early. So in case he sees this "good-bye Jeuri and thanks for everything".
The food was wonderful. We loved all the restaurants we went to and thought the food was delicious and well presented. The wait staff at all the restaurants were so nice and friendly and professional. I would like to especially mention the staff at the Palazzo. They were all excellent. We ate breakfast there each morning and lunch there most of the days and dinner one night.
The beach was gorgeous (except for the seaweed). Loved the cabanas!!! And the staff down at the beach, Pedro and his 2 friends (don't know their names) were great!!!
Unfortunately I did not feel well the first morning there, NOT from food but from an UTI. The front desk arranged for me to go to the medical clinic that is on the property. The clinic was pretty small but the doctor was very nice and seemed very knowledgable. He was able to give me an antibiotic and by that night I was starting to feel better.
Wonderful Wonderful time there. Wish we could have stayed longer and hope to return some day.

1 Thank Beth M
Reviewed 18 August 2014

we were in the royal service for months and we find the gods of service remember as today the excellent service provided by the oarlocks of room service pedro reyes and nicolas . Two young with espiritud service, thanks Peter and nicolas hope see you soon ........ ¿¿

Room Tip: come here and ask for pedro and nicolas
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We just came back from a nine nights stay at the Palma Real Resort in Punta Cana. This is our second time at this resort and we must say, it is the best. This is our seventh trip to DR and this resort meets every need. The staff there are amazing, they knew exactly what drink we enjoyed, and our favourite meals. The place at the pool and the beach was ready every morning. We travelled with our children (19 and 13) and they had a great time. The Sky Bar was our favourite. Ramon made the best non-alcoholic drinks and was always smiling and very pleasant. The Gabi beach was one of our favourite restaurants. Kimberley and Franklin were superb in their service, as well as the other amazing staff at the other restaurants and bars. Alberto at the concierge made checked sure we were looked after every day. It was truly enjoyable vacation for us. We can't wait to visit again. Overall an amazing time.

Room Tip: The one bedroom master suite overlooking the ocean is the best
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Baron Justo was an amazing waiter and he really took great care of us. Overall the hotel was very nice - been there before. The restaurants are nice. The rooms are pretty good. Wifi is the biggest problem from the rooms. From the lobby it is okay provided many others are not trying to log in.

Room Tip: Wifi in the hotel lobby is pretty good (unless a lot of people log in) - from the rooms it is pretty...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business