“Honeymoon Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lansing, Michigan
“Honeymoon Experience”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We recently spent our honeymoon at Paradisus. The taxi service is a little crazy at the airport, we spent a little more and had it set up through the hotel and Sunny C. Our travel fee was charged to our room and it was very organized and ready to go for us upon arrival and departure. We upgraded to the Royal Service. Our butler was Juan de Leon, he was very accommodating! He was always eager to help us with any request. Even if he had the time off when we called him, he would get another worker to help complete our request timely. My wife likes chocolate covered strawberries and there was a plate ready for her every night we came back from dinner.

The food was ok. The dinners were the main focus for food quality. The Palazzo always had great people working and delicious food. The resort workers were always friendly. You could not walk across the resort without having almost all of the workers you passed say hola to you no matter what they were doing. Antonio at the swim up bar was a great bartender, he was always trying to keep our drinks full. He made us a Passion Mojito, which was delicious!

The 60 minute couple massage from the YHI Spa was just what was needed after planning and pulling off a wedding. Our wifi within the room was very hit and miss. It worked pretty good for the first two days, but the third, fourth, and fifth days it only worked after dinner for a little bit.

Room Tip: Ocean view!
3 Thank David H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,103)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
nj
Reviewed 20 August 2014

i was 8/13/14/ to 8/17/14 i was expecting so much more about this hotel I was disappointed of everything the food the staff not friendly the waiters you had to be searching for them to get a drink. compare to the others hotels I visited in punta cana this is the worst experience ever and for the money that I paid. I was there for a wedding I was so excited all my life I wanted to go to this resort. The Melia which are partners is much better the staff way better.
I made reservation for the hibachi restaurant the lady told me that I will get a ticket to confirm Saturday came there was nothing in my room so I called she told me is fine we have it just go to restaurant we went guess what no reservation I was pissed off. the food at buffet bad I had to get my soda myself for my husband and my friends cause the waiter kept ignoring us. I guess cause we all were Dominicans they treat us differently it has happen with another resort in punta cana.. really disappointed. no night entertainment no activities in day. the only thing I like was the pool.

3 Thank gleny16
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Beautiful resort...very disappointed with food quality and level of service. We now understand that this is a corporate hotel...meaning business meeting /weddings/constantly being held. The problem that this creates is the "events" reserve restaurant bookings and may or may not show up ... we were turned away several nights from restaurants that obviously half empty . Even using the restaurant reservation system within the hotel did not work either as they could not confirm as to whether we had a reservation until 5:00 pm.
Customer Service was very inconsistent to say the least. The designated areas based on color of bands was not clearly identified ...was refused beach towels based on the color of our bands . Beach service was also very spare...it was obvious the Royal Butler Service was where the level of service was focused .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sonya141
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I went to Punta Cana for my friend's wedding. I stayed at the Paradisus Palma Real Golf and Spa Resort from 8/6/14-8/11/14. I would say that the pictures on the website are just like what you see when you get there. On the second day of my stay someone stole my gold and diamond necklace off of my dresser in my room. Other people that were apart of the wedding celebration also had cash, cameras, and other items stolen from their room. When I reported that my necklace had been stolen, the staff was not sympathetic to what had happened to me as if it was a regular occurrence. They told me that an investigation would take 24-48 hours. Well 48 hours later when I followed up, it was clear that no investigation had taken place. And to this date, no one has contacted me to let me know about an investigation or to rectify the situation. The managers never apologized for what happened to me or the others who were victimized. BE WARNED DO NOT BRING VALUABLES TO THIS RESORT. The food was OK. Most of the staff and Bartenders were friendly and did their best to accommodate you. This facility also had bed bugs and roaches in the room and roaches were also seen in one of the restaurants crawling on the table while waiting for our food. Also, this resort claims to have wifi throughout but it does not work consistently. You will only be able to access wifi the strongest if you are in the business center and not in your room.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Aisha A
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon in August. We stayed in the "members section" on my in-law's account. We planned to stay from Monday to Saturday, but then extended our trip two more days to leave the next Monday. We could have easily stayed another full week if we did not have things to do back in Boston.

The weather was excellent, the facilities were beautifully designed and maintained (except for one of the dining areas that was under construction and produced lots of noise from 9am to midnight), and the service was bar-none the best I have ever experienced. All of the staff was bilingual or trilingual (english and spanish, many had Hatian Creole, some had french or italian or russian). All of the staff greeted us with a smile and went out of their way to please us without ever asking for a tip. After a few days at the resort, most of the staff new us by face and name. Bar tenders like Ramón Fuego at the Sky Bar would greet me with a joyous exclamation- "Hey! My friend from Boston! How's your new wife? You want the usual?" and then would hand me the drink that I had intended to order. Mind-blowing. Even the gardeners that did not typically engage in customer service, were wonderful. Julio Ceciño Mejía. I swear, that man deserves a raise. One day, I ask him for a coconut. He gives me two. I drink the water, he swings by the pool, offers to split it for me and before I know it, I have two perfectly sliced coconuts with the meat shaved off neatly for me and my wife to eat. From then on, our pool days started with two freshly cut cocos. He was also a great conversationalist in a mix of French and Spanish. Very fun man. Joseph, over at the Cigar bar at Gabi Beach was also fascinating. He helped me figure out my purchases politely and then conversed with me for as long as I wanted on politics and education, and all sorts of fun topics. A very interesting, wholesome, and driven young man. A joy to talk to. Maria at the coffee station was also fantastic. She memorized my daily order after two days and greeted me with a smile every time. She even sent me off with a pack of vanilla flavored cigars that she has laying around because she knew I liked them. Michellet, Gabriel, and Junior at the pool bar were also fantastic people. Always smiling. Always going the extra mile to provide me with whatever my heart desired and all while making me laugh with pleasant conversation.

All in all, my experience at Paradisus Palma Real, was nothing short of amazing. I cannot wait to go again. I have never been that relaxed in my life. I was able to de-stress so much, that I returned to Boston with a drive and motivation to work at my graduate program that I had not experienced since I was first accepted to the university.

I wish I could fund a week long trip for everyone I know.

Room Tip: The member suites are excellent. The ones with patios and living rooms are awesome and well worth it...
Gastonia, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Paradisus Palma Real for a week to celebrate my big 40th. birthday and must say that I enjoyed every second there, we were in the Royal Service.
Angelo our butler made sure our stay there was extra special. The day of my birthday I was greeted by rose pebbles as I entered the room with a bubble bath filled with balloons a bottle of champagne and a birthday cake! (A Very Nice Surprise Indeed Thanks Angelo) Our room was cleaned twice a day in the morning and in the evening they would come back to get our bed ready for the night. Our small refrigerator was stock everyday with beer, water, and soft drinks.
The beach was beautiful and our spot on the beach was ready for us every morning and Martin Tineo was there ready to take our drink order he also made our stay here extra special making sure we got plenty to drink and even shared his lunch with us. Thank you Martin Tineo for your awesome customer service and being you we hope to one-day be back and get to see you again you made our stay that much better.
We also tried out the spa (extra for this service) and the person to ask for is Rizalyn she will make you feel so comfortable explaining all that she will be doing. Was worth every penny for her service!
I can go on and on about this place and the people but overall we had a WONDERFUL time and WISHED we could had stayed longer, but hope to return soon. Like I tell everyone here in the states, I fell in love with the country, the food and esp. the people!

Veronica

Room Tip: Get the Royal Service!!!!! The cost is well worth it.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 August 2014

So we are coming up on our one year anniversary and i am only now able to bring myself to write a review. I still can't even look at the wedding photos without crying.

Deep breath: here's how it all went down.

After months of emailing back and fourth i get down there and NOTHING is set. I have a meeting and go over EVERYTHING i thought was alreay worked out. After a series of arguments with a very rude romance planner i sat down and again explained that i wanted white wild flowers with green sprigs in all of the bouquets. She says she will give me plain white roses and they want to charge me through the nose for special boquets even though this comes standard with the package. Eventualy she agrees to do white with sprigs of green, no idea why this is an issue in the first place. On the day of the wedding my flowers are pefect. However, all of my bridesmaids have neon green/yellowy roses. They do not fix this. They do charge me. The pictures with bridesmaids now look absurd unless they are in black and white. The black ribbon they used to wrap the wrong flowers got wet waiting in the vases and leaked maroon all over our hands and my white wedding gown which is subsequently ruined. They do nothing about this, not even an apology or offer to clean my destroyed wedding gown. Just hand me and my bridesmaids a bunch of wet cocktail napkins from a nearby bar and hurry us down the aisle. Similarly i wanted white roses with various colored flowers in them on the tables. I say as long as they are mixed colors i don't care what flowers they use except for birds of paradise, which i hate. No birds of paradise please! This is given to them over the phone, in e-mail with photos for clarification and in person. How did the centerpieces turn out? All white roses with three birds of paradise plopped in the middle. Again I am charged through the nose for special flowers. The reception itself, I was assured, would be in an off the beaten path location on the beach. It was instead directly next to the entertainment/main pavillion of the resort, strangers walked into our wedding several times. This was the reception (which all things aside was a blast!!) so it was not as bad as when a man in a speedo tried to walk through my ceremony while my dad and I were prepariong to walk down the aisle. I had to stop my heartfelt father daughter moment with my dad before he gave me away to shout at a man in a speedo, yes the guests heard me. No idea where the staff was who, I was assured, would keep our event private.

At this point my wedding was running two hours behind because the phone lines went out in the resort and i couldn't get a hold of my romance coordinator to come to the spa and help me with the language barrier. They took 6 hours to paint my nails (they have no dryers so with the heat and humidity they were still wet at the wedding) do my makeup, which was a disaster and my hair which was all wrong. My big soft curls were tiny poodle spirals. I had to rake the curls out smudge up my eyeliner and run (looking like i just got back from the beach basically) to our ride from the reserve to the main resort. The van they had set up was in fact 1 golf cart for my entire bridal party, my girls held my dress over my head while we sped along, further messing my already disastrous hair and maroon hands/dress situation. While my guests waited they had been coralled into the gym where it was air conditioned to stand around in an awkward way breathing in other people's BO. Awesome.

They front loaded all of the wedding tradtions (father daughter dance, toasts, announcements etc.) into the first 30 minutes of the night, totally ignored our itinerary. Everyone commented on how weird this was. They threw away our cake topper, which my sister spent weeks making for me as her gift and a special wedding keepsake to hopefully pass on to my daughter. Sorry lady, we chucked it! Because of the lateness i got no getting ready photos, or even time with my bridesmaids and very few formal photos as we lost the light. Oh, also, the formal photos were supposed to be taken somewhere away form the reception site, but were in fact taken right next to it as my guests watched, the result is a lot of awkward "someone is watching me" looking photos.

I did like our photographer. The DJ and light up dance floor were great. Food was good. Weather was perfect. Rooms were gorgeous and we returned on our wedding night to rose petals, champagne and a bubble bath, all a lovely and romantic suprise! Be careful with this place though. In hindsight i should have demended to see a clock at the spa when i felt like it was getting late. I should have demaned that they fix the flowers and compensate me for my dress, cake topper and some of the photos as the session ended up being cut very short. Frankly I assumed with all of the messes they would offer it!! It was my special day, and it was a mess. I was kind of heartbroken and just didn't even think to fight it out.

A few final notes: there is no air conditioning outside of the gym and bedrooms. The WiFi doesn't work outside of the rooms so don't depend on internet messenger apps to communicate with your people. If you book the reserve it will take a lot of time out of your trip traveling to the main resort to see your guests. Also, the guards there will fight with you trying to keep non reserve people out even if it is your bridal party on your freaking wedding day! Yeah, that happened, made my poor mom cry!

So there you have it. If it wasn't a sunset wedding maybe we could have fixed a lot of this. If I was a little less emotional maybe i could have gotten some consideration for all of the crap that went down. As it stands what i have is a wedding album that makes me cry every time i look at it and a husband who doesn't understand why looking terrible on my special day in a setting that was all wrong upsets me when all that matters to him is that we are man and wife. I don't know how to explain to him that i dreamed of this my entire life and poured endless hours of planning and heart into my vision for it. I just sniffle and smile at him because i was lucky enough to marry a man who didn't see a mess standing at the altar, just his bride.

12 Thank The L