“So Sad”

and up
Catamaran and Snorkel Tour of Punta Cana
Ranked #16 of 89 things to do in Punta Cana
More attraction details
Owner description: Come and Swim with Dolphins in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Dolphin Island Park is a business dedicated to creating moments of intense happiness for their visitors through a natural, friendly and safe interaction with dolphins, sea lions, sharks and stingrays. We are experts in creating the most memorable experiences with unique activities that bring you up close to these amazing aquatic animals. Our privileged location allows us to offer a one of a kind swimming opportunity in which you can interact with the animals in their natural habitat.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Michigan City, Indiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“So Sad”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Dolphin Island is not an island at all. It is a floating dock with pens for the dolphins, very tiny. Same thing for the sharks and rays, a very small chain link pen that the bottom is buried in the sand. The dolphin, Aeros, was very attentive to his trainer, and they seemed to work well together. His nose had cuts and old scars on it. There is no way 7-9 dolphins in that small of an area, with that limited of a swim space, is healthy. If you have a conscience, please don't do it.

4 Thank K J

• Polish first
  • Slovak first
Thornton, Colorado
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“We had a blast”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We returned from Punta Cana on Friday, and this excursion was one of the most memorable experiences we had while on our vacation. We stayed at the Majestic Colonial, so it was about a 30 minute ride to the excursion site. We waited for about 10-15 minutes, then watched a video before boarding the boat for a 3 minute ride to the platform. Once we were there, we were instructed to get into the water, and one by one we each took turns interacting with the dolphins. Some of the interactions you do on the platform, and others you do in the middle of the water, so there is a reason why they instruct you to be able to swim. It can be a bit hard trying to stay in one spot in the middle of the water though. The dolphins all looked healthy and content. No sores, or anything. The only thing I noticed was one of the dolphins seemed to be blind in one eye (eye was white instead of the normal eye color), but could do everything it was instructed to do. We interacted with 2 dolphins at a time, and the other dolphins were being interacted with by the trainers off to the side. The trainers were feeding and talking to them, so it looked like the trainers took good care of them. We also snorkled with the rays and nurse sharks. It's not a huge area but enough for multiple people to snorkel comfortably. The rays were huge, and the two nurse sharks that were in with them were also a lot bigger than I expected. There are also a good amount of fish and other animals in the coral. The excursion was around 45 minutes or so, but I felt that this was an adequate amount of time for what we were doing. The pens they keep the dolphins in did seem a little small, but the animals did not seem distressed.

Detroit, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“this girls life long dream”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

It was a dream I had my whole 55 years to swim touch kiss a dolphin,,I wished we had more one on one time,, more pictures, and to be able to swim with the sea lions on the same excursion..

1 Thank Chloe B
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“I always wanted to swim with Dolphins!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

It was amazing to be so close to the dolphins. The only sad part is that the dolphins are in captivity (albeit in deep waters) and are basically following the commands of a trainer so it wasn't very spontaneous HOWEVER it was a once in a life time awesome experience for my daughter and I and I will always cherish the memories of our swim with these beautiful creatures!

Visited April 2014
Sacramento, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“false advertising”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We just recently came back from our vacation to punta cana, dominican republic. When we arrived, sales reps were everywhere trying to sell you the excursion. I have always wanted to swim with the dolphins, ever since I was a little girl. So I really wanted to do the superman trick, with the two dolphins pushing your feet. The reps, said that if you want to do that trick you have to buy the VIP package which is about 50 dollars more than the other package, so we decided to buy it. We swam with the dolphins, but we never got our superman trick as all the reps had promised. I was very disappointed, that I wasn't receiving what i had paid for. So I went up to one of the trainers and asked about it, he said that he didn't know what I was talking about, and that we got what we paid for. They weren't willing to accommodate or work anything out. They just kept saying that they couldn't do anything about it. The other people in our group were all arguing with one trainer, then another, then a manager. Because they had all been sold the same thing. Which we had all paid extra for, and were not receiving. NOTHING WAS DONE ABOUT IT, we left disappointed. When we got back to the hotel we went to talk to the sales rep that sold us the package. And he said that we are not the first people to complain that they hadn't got what was promised. He said people come back disappointed all the time, but the company always wins because they don't ever give any type of refund. so they just steal and steal everyone's money, and no one can do anything about it. So if you are looking to get ripped off, then this is the activity for you.

Visited March 2014