My advice to anyone considering booking this property would be to do it! I know that some of reviews made me a bit hesitant, but we definitely don't regret staying here.
Upon arrival, you're offered a sweet tasting beverage, as well as a relatively smooth check in. Please note that you should definitely bring some sort of paper proof of your reservation. They will ask you for a "voucher", but a copy of your reservation is really what they're looking for. They do keep the sheet, so if you need a copy for yourself, bring another one. Once you arrive in your room, you'll be greeted by a cute towel creation. Ignore the comments made about the musty smell. We never did notice anything worth bringing air freshner for. However, if you do decide to turn the air conditioning off and open your sliding glass door for awhile, there may be a damp feel to the room (you're in a tropical destination after all). I must say that I wish the resort offered electronic key cards instead of a standard key on a huge keychain (by the way don't lose the key, because the keychain has your room number on it). Be sure to utilize the safe in your room too. Don' t take any chances! As far as the beach goes, it's quite lovely with plenty of chairs and activities.Do remember that the pool chairs fill up fast though (sometimes with topless tanners).
If we had to leave any constructive criticism, we would love to request that there would be designated smoking areas for the MANY, MANY smokers who choose to do their nasty habit everywhere and all the time. We couldn't even enjoy the nightly shows due to the overwhelming smoke filled areas (inside and out). We would also like to notate that communication can be a real test. Understandably so, we don't expect perfect English, but I do wish that at least the front desk clerks could communicate a bit better. The Dominican Republic is a huge destination for Canadians who speak English and French, so I would hope that there would be at least a few employees who could accomodate to these two languages.
Finally, tip the help. Most employees make $8.00 a day, so any extra gratuity is appreciated immensely! Note that you are able to tip with US currency.
We had an enjoyable time all around. Keep your expectations in check and look for the good. If you follow this advice, you'll have a great time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana * Inside the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Macao, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 4-story building * Surrounded by 63,000 m2 / 75,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 40 km / 31 miles from Higuey * 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Intl. Airport Accepted Credit Cards: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, RIU Hotels and Resorts, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Hotel Punta Cana