“Paradise”

Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana
Ranked #70 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Beautiful!!!!! Service was great....never had an empty drink, food was good at buffet as well as the three restaurants we ate at. Only negative is musty room smell which is a problem everywhere down there and there was construction going on to the three fountains. All the employees were super nice!!! The only rude person I encountered was a rude bride from Las Vegas who was a guest!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
5  Thank Grandmich
Write a ReviewReviews (5,179)

Reviewed 15 August 2012

I can not even begin to list the reasons why you should not stay at this resort! My husband and I only take one big vacation a year and this was the worst hotel/service/food we have EVER experienced. We booked two months prior, and were told that we could hop to the three other Riu resorts, which they said there policy had changed two days prior to our arrival BS! When we checked in we were not explained anything, just given a room key and safe lock. Our room wasnt stocked, no towels, robes or iron. We were there with 55 other friend for a wedding and ALL of us had nothing positive to say about this resort. The food was horrible, we both lost weight, room service always took an hour and there is only a hand full of things you could order, and the order was always wrong and tasted like school cafateria food! Half of our friends got extremely ill the first few days. The spa would not accept our 30% off vouchers that came with our package "they didnt feel like accepting them anymore" The only good thing is that the beach and water are beautiful, so just pick another place.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank AnnieKG
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I agree with all the negative reviews listed here. My experience was very similar to all of them. The Excellent reviews listed here puzzle me. They appear to be attempts to cover up the truth.

The RIU Palace brand is a reputable 5-Star hotel chain in the rest of the world, but NOT in Punta Cana. As a RIU CLASS CLUB member, I have had the luxury of staying in different RIU hotels all around the western hemisphere.

The staff in all areas of the hotel in Punta Cana require much needed customer service skills training. A prior review stated that RIU Palace Punta Cana was under new management - it shows! The poor morale of the staff is reflected in their daily activities and how they have contact with hotel guests.

The good news is that everyone I encountered was receiving the same poor level of service, so I didn't feel left out. The bad news is that everyone received the same poor level of service so no one got the opportunity to experience what a true RIU Palace hotel is all about.

I am sadden by this because a traveler who has never been to the Dominican Republic would assume that all Dominicans are unmotivated and indifferent - which is not the truth. If you happen to be staying at RIU Palace Punta Cana now or will be there in the future, try to safely venture off the property and experience what the Dominican Republic is all about.

Sadly, the RIU Palace Punta Cana is unworthy of caring the RIU brand name or of even caring the 5-Star rating. They fall far from it.

Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
10  Thank FrequentFlyer I
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We were so excited about having our family all together to celebrate my sons wedding!! It started off with the front desk trying to put my husband and I and our two friends into a different hotel . They claimed the hotel was over booked ( we had confirmed reservations since March). It was dark and pouring rain ( after 9pm) we traveled from the west coast, and not happy with the idea of staying in a different hotel then the other guest including my son the groom, my son the best man, the brides family and on and on and on..... After arguing with the people behind the desk for 45 minutes they found us rooms next to each other. Amazing!!! Also I should mention I was in a wheel chair ( had an accident two weeks before the wedding in California). I could not believe the terrible service we received everywhere we went, the spa would not except vouchers that we received at the time of booking, we were not able to use any of the other properties including the pools, restaurants etc. we were told they changed their policies 2 days before we got there. The construction workers chopping up the fountains from dawn and well into the night every day!! The food was terrible, I lost weight on the trip, couldn't eat the food. The drinks were all cheap liquors placed in high end bottles. The wine tasted like vinegar. The wedding coordinator did not have a clue how to run a wedding. RIU wanted to hold the wedding in a conference room with the plaster falling off the ceiling onto the floor in case of rain!!!!! Lucky for us we held the wedding out on the beach and made the best of it. The best was the joining of our families, and over looking all of the problems for the sake of our children. The staff was rude and uncaring when 1 of our party of 55 went missing for over 24 hours, he had a family emergency and had left word at the desk to inform us. They never did, even after numerous attempts of questioning them of his whereabouts and checking his room to find it totally empty, they still insisted he had not checked out. So we had 54 members of our party looking for him on our own to find out that he was back in the US on the family emergency. Any other first rate hotel would get the message to the intended parties. NOT AT THIS HOTEL !!! WE WERE TOLD NOTHING EVER HAPPENS AT THIS HOTEL !!! So the best advise is DO NOT STAY AT RIU PALACE PUNTA CANA !!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank Deborah F
Reviewed 13 August 2012

this place is a dump. There was construction all day & into the night. Instead of the sound of the ocean all I could hear all week was the sound of pick axes & air chisels. The swimming pool was so cloudy & filthy that you couldn't look down & see your own feet while you were in it. They advertise the rooms as "superior junior suits" but they arent any bigger or nicer than any normal hotel room. Apple advertises that you have exchange priveleges at the riu palace macao which is nearby & also much nicer, however when we walked over to use these privileges we were turned away. We also found mold on our matress. This was my first & last apple vacation.

Room Tip: go someplace else
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank john s
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We have stayed before at the RIU Palace in Cabo and had a great time. However this experience was far from great. We had done so much research to finally decide on this resort and from the minute we arrived it was all a lie. The management is terrible because there is no such thing as management there. If you ever had a problem to discuss they said there was nothing they could do. Wedding coordinators did nothing and we were basically on our own. In addition, we were promised we could visit any of their resorts but this was also a giant lie. We were denied access to any resort due to recent policy change after we had booked our trip. We had a total of 55 guests and all staying at the RIU Palace but somehow half of our wedding guests were transferred to other resorts because the hotel was over booked. The rooms were crappy and the drinks were not authentic. If you ordered Jack Daniels or Johnny Walker they were actually their island rum which gave you tremendous heart burn. The food at the restaurants and buffets were absolutely disgusting and we are not picky people. As for the wedding, we rented out a restaurant for 1,000 dollars and when we arrived there were other random guests eating. We spoke to the manager and all he said was just deal with it and then said to my new wife F U!!!! I could not believe the amount of unprofessionalism and how poorly they handled the situation. Our wedding coordinator contacted the management staff to refund us $500 for the inconvenience and we never saw the payment refunded into our account. All we can say is that we were planning for our dream wedding that turned into an absolute nightmare and unwound NEVER recommend to stay there and would seek other resorts in the area. We are truly upset with our experience and would never wish this upon anyone else. So my advice is sincere to never choose this resort. Please stay away please do not ruin your trip and waste your money

Stayed: August 2012
10  Thank David F
Reviewed 12 August 2012

we booked a family vacation with kids 15 & 16. First of all, this place is not for kids. They should advertise it that way. The mediocre nightly shows were not for kids. And what's with the smoking everywhere, you sit at dinner and people just light up, don't they know that second hand smoke is worse than the smoke that they are killing themselves with? Understood that Europeans light up inside, outside and any place they feel like, but Americans do it too. I know they know better than to light up big ugly cigars next to kids, they are portraying themselves to be just as dumb. Then, there was the food, for the money we paid, there should be a Chef who knows what he is doing and not give us SALTY FOOD. Mass produced I must say. It was also dry and had no taste. If you know good food, you would not stay here unless they improve.
I would not go into all the construction going on and the digging up of the fountains with the workers staring at you, I think someone addressed it already. They need to get rid of the italian and brazilian restaurants, waste of time. The food AND service were horrible. We sat in the brazilian restaurant and everyone was eating and we were just looking on. No one ever served us their nasty food which it was when it finally came. There was mediocre entertainment during the day unless you drank yourself silly and made a spectacle of yourself. there was no music, no grilling, nothing to make the stay more memorable. The beach was nice and the building was beautiful, the servers in the bar and the buffet style restaurant were the best and they earned every dollar they made. All in all, I would rate my experience a 3 out of 10. Try a differnt resort if you really want to visit Punta Cana. Actually, my brother stayed at a resort on the other side of the island, and he said it was better. Punta Plato I believe. These people are ripping you off.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family