“Great Vacation!!!!”

Ranked #68 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
“Great Vacation!!!!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

All in all a great time. Beautiful property. I really have no major complaints and I have traveled to many all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean.
Beach-amazingly beautiful. Never had a problem finding chairs and they raked it daily.
Pool- very nice and never had a hard time finding a chair...although we spent our days on the beach.
Bars- sweet drinks get sickening by the end of the week but the service was great. Rarely had to wait in any lines.
Food- was better than most all inclusive places I have been. We ate mostly in main buffet and there was always very delicious foods that we enjoyed. We do tend to get "buffeted out" by the end of the week, but here again its all inclusive and that is how it always is. Excellent service in this buffet dining room!!!! The wait staff is amazing!!!
Beach towels- We never had any problem getting towels but here again we get a towel in morning and keep it all day, so didn't pay attention to if towels ran out later in the day.
Room- was nice and nicely stocked...MY ONLY NEGATIVE COMMENT about this resort is the beds are VERY HARD!!!!! And not enough pillows and the bed surely could have used another blanket because all that was on it was 3 flat pillows and a sheet and thin bedspread. We asked for extra pillows and they had them in our room in less than 5 minutes. Would be hard to change out all the beds at this resort but seems it would be easy to put double the pillows on the bed to make up for hardness. Just a recommendation.....
Front desk- got all checked in in less than 5 minutes.
I would recommend this place to anyone!!! We met a lot of nice people and the staff is very friendly and does have great nightly entertainment

Room Tip: rooms facing pool are much nicer
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pam67_421

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Arrived at Riu Palace, Punta Cana on 12 October 2013. What a great place. Beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting. After reading some of the reviews before going I was a little worried about smelly rooms, poor food etc and was delighted to find that these were a load of rubbish. I went armed with air freshners just in case but these i am happy to say were not required. Yes the food get a little repetative but even I as a very fussy eater could usually find something to eat. I have to say that of all the many hotels that I have stayed at all over the world the staff at this hotel are second to none. Always helpful, happy and polite. The entertainment team were also the best I have come across and such hard workers. The beach was lovely as was the ocean. The Palma shopping village I did find a bit expensive but then no one forces you to but from there. What else can I say. Best hotel with the best staff I have ever had the pleasure to visit.

Room Tip: We were in room 3031 which had a back view of part of gardens and part of the hotel next door. next...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Santo Domingo
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We have planned our vacation for months since we were meeting another couple from outside of the country, but we are locals and we booked thru a local travel agency; the girl at the travel agency apparently did her job, since we brought the reservation ourselves and it mentioned, "honeymoon" and VIP customer for the agency.
First of all we got the worst room first floor, lots of noise from all the AC's of the building and smelly like this room wasn't opened for a very long time, room was also very dirty and full with Mosquitos.
Then at check in we were told that we must reserve at the restaurant the same day of the dinner but at 10 am, we were there at 9:55am and it was supposedly full, but the party behind us got their tables... (Second time feeling discriminated)... The same morning I request to be changed to a different room since I could not sleep with the noise, they told me Togo back by 2pm to get my room and by then I still had no new room.
Then while fighting for a better room my husband found an ANGEL! Nelson Mayobanex, the front desk manager, who races bikes with him and he helped us, we then got the best hotel room, right in front of the sea and he switched our bands to VIP bands and then we received another treatment.
It's a shame the we decide to spend our money on our own hotels and we are then discriminated.
To me this angel should be the hotel manager since he DOES have customer service skills!

• Stayed September 2013
5 Thank TriniTrini
Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Our vacation was booked through Signature Vacations. Our reservation was for a Jacuzzi Suite. Upon arrival at the Riu Palace Punta Cana, we proceeded directly to the front desk to sign in. The employee at the front desk, Jesus, began checking us in then stepped into a back room and asked us to wait “two minutes”. After ten minutes had passed, he reappeared and was waiting to speak with another employee in a suit. He again told us to wait “two minutes”. After another fifteen minutes, the employee in the suit was available and began speaking with Jesus in Spanish. After a few minutes, he introduced Himself as Ñemen. He informed us that our room was not available. We asked him if it was not available because it was being cleaned or if it was not available to us at all. He said there were no Jacuzzi Suites available. He said that in ten minutes, the Manager would be arriving and usually these situations get handed over to him. We sat down in the lobby and waited for this Manager to arrive. At this point, we have been at the resort for over an hour and still don’t have a room, have no real explanations as to what is going on and no idea where we are going to end up. When the Manager arrived, he spoke with Ñemen as well as a few other Employees. The Manager then went and spoke to another irate family who appeared to be in a very similar situation to ours. After some time he spoke again with Ñemen and then came with Ñemen to speak with us. He introduced himself as Niels. He confirmed to us what Ñemen had said – that the Jacuzzi Suite which we booked and paid for in full was not going to be available to us for the entire duration of our two week Honeymoon. Obviously, the room would become available at some point because we highly doubt that whoever was occupying all of the Jacuzzi Suites at the time of our arrival would still be there when we left two weeks later. But instead of allowing us to have the room that we booked and paid for, they would allow another party that arrived after us to have the Jacuzzi Suite in an effort to prevent upsetting more guests. Niels then informed us that we would be put into room 0058 – a Jr. Suite, the most basic room that the hotel has to offer. Here we were, a newly married couple on their Honeymoon in the happiest and most fulfilling time of their lives, booking and paying for the best and most extravagant suite in the resort being put into the lowest and most basic room because the resort felt it necessary to overbook. Niels then informed us that when a bigger room becomes available (Room 2126) on January 4th, we would be moved there. Still this would not be the Jacuzzi Suite that we booked and paid for.

The following day, we took this issue up with Karim, the Sunwing/Signature Representative at the Riu Palace Punta Cana. Karim went and spoke with Ñemen at the front desk immediately as well as Neils later on in the day in an attempt the get some answers for us and also to get us the room that we rightfully deserve. Karim said that he would open a report as quickly as possible to inform his Sunwing/Signature office of our situation and keep it updated throughout our stay with what was going on. Karim visited the front desk and spoke with management everyday to get updates on the status of our promised voucher and to keep his report updated. We visited Karim on a daily basis to see what progress was made on his part with both Riu and Signature.

On our second to last day, Karim visited the front desk and spoke to a man by the name of Luis who found our voucher. Upon review of the voucher, we once again were faced with great disappointment. The voucher was not for an equal stay at any Riu like Niels informed us, but rather for only seven nights and for only a double room. This is nowhere near being equal to 14 nights in a Jacuzzi Suite. We brought this to Luis’ attention but he said there is nothing that he himself or the Riu Palace Punta Cana can do for us, which at this point is starting to seem like a frustrating common occurrence. He said that this new issue would have to be taken up with Signature Vacations and the Riu reservations department.

After close to one year, we received a compensation not even worth the difference in what rooms we did get and what we booked. We are currently booking our reattempt at a Honeymoon with the voucher we received and are hoping for no surprises this time around...but we won't hold our breath.

Now aside from all that, the hotel is beautiful. Amazing beach and amazing food

Room Tip: Don't plan on getting what you booked...anything can happen
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EA-M-W29
Baltimore
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is my 3rd day at the Riu Palace and no towels available past 1pm. Please explain to me how you can be a beach resort and not have towels available all day and you call yourself a palace?? Sorry, but no excuses. I am tired of wet, smelly towels day after day. Other than that, I love the beach here with the natural shade of the palm trees. The housekeeping staff is also wonderful.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are on beach. Go to 3rd floor for a view and if the noise bothers you at night -s...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Thaimae
Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have been to many Riu Hotels, and I have yet to complain, hence the repeated returns all over the world. I loved this Hotel from the first Instant to the last and everything in between. From the extremely friendly and helpful front desk, to the housekeeping, to the Buffet restaurant staff, and especially the entertainment team. ORLANDO at the front desk was amazing and helpful and kind and thoughtful and did EVERYTHING to make our stay as easy and wonderful as it could possibly be. The you have the entertainment staff, especially MICKEY MOUSE, who goes above and beyond what they can to make our stay as fun as it could possibly be. As costly as it was I extended my stay even only for just one extra day because I knew I would never be able to experience this again, obviously until I go back.

Room Tip: I don't feel there was any difference, as they are all wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank NeedsAVacation25
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I spent a few weeks looking for a place to spend our honeymoon and somehow got hooked on the Punta Cana alternative, in particular the Riu Palace Punta Cana rather than any of the other Riu hotels in the area or any other hotel around.

Though I have no doubts about the quality of Riu properties I was a bit cautious with the negative reviews of people that complained about musty smells or terrible food. Well the news are...

Musty smell? well, yes the first night (we spent 6) there was a bit of such smell but it was acceptable. This hotel is in the TROPICS, there is air conditioner that adds humidity and non-occupied rooms are left without airco until it is occupied again. So this is perfectly normal in such environment. I live in the tropics so I know what I am saying.

Terrible food? come on! IF you are used to hamburgers and things like that your choice will be rather limited but then your choice of food is not impressing to say the least...

We made it a point to visit nearly ALL the restaurants (only missed the one hidden beside the theater) and I must say the food was just absolutely wonderful, I have not a single complain about the food.

The breakfast was also SUPERB to say the least. The service EXCELLENT! usually we were not even seated when someone came to attend us.

The drinks at the pool were a bit on the sweet side so I didn't have many there but that is to be understood, you don't want drunk people being obnoxious or vomiting in the public areas. Luckily none of this was observed, the only noisy people we encountered were a couple of wedding parties from the US. Drinks are better in the restaurants and in the bar inside the hotel.

All inclusive, can you beat that? not really, first time our all-inclusive includes the mini bar as well but quite frankly we didn't have time to even use it.

The SPA facilities were also very nice, we used the jacuzzis and vapor rooms in the spa, a refreshing experience for free.

My only complain was that when I booked with Expedia it awarded us 3 separate vouchers that were supposed to be presented during check-in, we wanted to use the "Honeymoon voucher" but the hotel attendant at the reception chose to politely IGNORE it on both ocasions.

The shows at the theater were fantastic, the live music also very good (just a bit short), the plaza and all areas of the hotel were impeccable. The staff was top of the class.

Now at night you are supposed to wear a nice dress to the restaurants that require reservations, not shorts and shirt. A few people chose to ignore the etiquette. Unfortunately my wife's digital camera was also stolen during our first afternoon (within one hour of our arrival). We suspect a younger couple that was nearby that ran away as soon as they realized we mentioned the "camera" that she had accidentally left nearby. It was never returned so some of our wedding photos (and others) were lost forever...

Would we go there again? we certainly hope so, it isn't cheap but it is wonderful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple