“Paradise”

Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana
Ranked #69 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We had an absolutely wonderful time. This RIU is a bit older than some that I have stayed in though. They give you and actual key not a key card. You are also given a lock mechanism and a key to the safe. That is also dated. Not a problem though. Everything else was absolutely wonderful. The rooms were very clean and large. We stayed in room 3033 and it was very quiet. We did face the sister resort not the pool, but I didn't care. I was only in my room to sleep and get ready. If you want to see the sites, walk around. Don't complain about the view from the room. The service is excellent also. The do not by any means skimp on drinks. They give you lots of booze and it is every where (room, beach, etc.). We didn't want to be tied to a time for reservations at the restaurant, so we stuck with the buffet and it was very good. There was lots of different variety each night. Manuel was wonderful. Ask for him. You won't regret it. The beach here is extremely clean and the water is warm and refreshing. My husband and I swam in the water for the better part of the day. Don't listen to the negative reviews. Go with an open mind and enjoy your trip. I know we sure did!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Izzy47

Reviewed 4 June 2014

First I should mention I have travelled to many 5 stars and I can tell you that this place is excellent by my standards (and definitely great for the price!) Not a 5 star but great bang for your buck. First time in the DR as I tend to travel on cruises (so I have become very picky) and we frequent the Mayan for an all inclusive every other year. After this vacation, no more cruises as we enjoyed the relaxing week at the beach!

Will we return? 100%
Does it need improvements? Sure but I am just being very picky

Pros:
Food is AMAZING at the buffets believe it or not! I mean surprisingly amazing. Tons of choices and very fresh and delicious! Fresh fruit and cheese all day...great rice and beans and stews and pasta bar was excellent!

Grounds are very nicely groomed and CLEAN!

Rooms are large

Service is outstanding! (we never ran into a rude person the whole week)

Beatiful stretch of beach in front of this hotel and not crowded at all (great for walking to see other resorts that are very crowded)

Weather was great all week (in the 40's)

Front desk was very accomodating and friendlty when we had an issue with our room

Drink service on the beach comes so often it amazed us (we saw them walking by and offering us drinks every 10-20 minutes saying "drinky drinky"

Great entertainment staff that didn't bother those that weren't interested

Pool bar was very happening if you like to sit in the pool (until 7pm nightly)

Cons:
Rooms can get musty because of the humid climate so pump the AC in your room when you're at the beach and lower it when you sleep so you dont get sick like many of us did

Alcohol was lacking (we enjoy premium alcohol so buy from duty free if you do too)
The sugar filled drinks in pretty glasses were gross and we could spot out the newcomers by looking at what they ordered. This place needs to serve fresh fruit daiquiris and a decent mojito. Wine was very nice.

No disco onsite but a Riu bus will take you to Pacha from your lobby (Riu disco) for free every 30 min or so and you pay $5 a drink. It was a lot of fun but I should mention the Riu entertainment staff was a bit shady and were waiting to get lucky with the Riu guests. It felt very creepy and a suggestion I would have is that only Rui guests should be patrons at the disco!

Rooms on the highest floor are quite nice and do not have any bugs (we found 2 roaches in our 2nd floor garden facing suite on day one and were quickly moved to the 4th floor Superior room the next morning and we didnt have any issues) IT HAPPENS IN THE CARIBBEAN

Back to the booze - they only have Ron Barcelo and Brugal rum and Slodjanka vodka and Presidente beer on tap. Mojitos were very inconsistent as usual.

Room Tip: high room bring your favourite booze adn TIP VERY WEEL
10  Thank DiscoD27
Reviewed 3 June 2014

At the first glance this resort looks so majestic with it's huge fountains and pools but when u look closely you can see and the mold EVERYWHERE!! This cannot be healthy . We returned from a 2 weeks vacation in punta Cana and avoided to go back because of the mold . We have a 10 months old baby and didn't wanna expose him to that.

The food was good and the service was decent . We went last Christmas and they had a christmas dinner and a show about the birth of Jesus , it was very nice . The lobby was also very nice with wifi and wifi on the beach .

I would like to return to that resort once they update their rooms and take care of that mold

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Nado1234
Reviewed 3 June 2014

There we goods and bads about this resort. The goods were the trip advisor was outstanding!!! (funjet) The resturant and bar staff was incredible. Now the bad, We did not get the room we paid for. The view was of a roof and when we asked to change rooms the manager called us a liar and we had to take someone to our room to prove the view. Then finally after three days we were moved to a smaller room that at least had a view of the pool. When we booked we where told that their would be a honeymoon gift which there was not. We where also told that we would be upgraded to the honeymoon suite if avalible which we were not (and by the way their was one avalible because we met another couple that got updated to it 10 minutes after we checked but they gave a $100 tip. The food was not very good. We did our best to make things pleasnt by not staying in the room because the toliet kept overflowing and had a fowl smell. So no I would never recommend the RUI. When I tried calling to complain I kept getting put on hold. We have a large family (6 kids) and have been saving to take a family trip and needless to say the RUI will not be on our list!!!

5  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Lovely hotel for the Dominican Republic, so lets start off with the good. Great pool, big rooms, lovely garden and beaches, and excellent service. Had so much fun winding the days away in the sun or partying in the pool and meeting new people. I really enjoyed the shows and especially the carnival. The Sports bar and it's staff were awesome and is open 24 hours a day...they also have a refridgerator that you can get Fruit salad plates, sandwhiches and desserts our of anytime you choose. Now the poor part of our trip.
Got a room that the front desk told us was beautiful and had a garden view...what we got was a room facing a fence to a work area...with a broken toliet (completely broken with no seat) and a broken liquor dispenser. I went to front desk and the best I could do to change rooms and get a room closer to the pool I was told by WELLINGTON at the front desk I had to pay him $100 cash. I say his name as the resort will sometimes act like this is isolated experience by an ex employee...this happened to 3 people we met and prices ranged from $100-200 cash..I talked him down from $150. It did get me same exact room closer to pool and nothing broken other then the whole in the ceiling in bathroom and shower and the leak on the floor the whole time. The beds were hard as rocks but that seems to be the norm no matter where in D.R. you stay.
Be sure to bring at least $100 in ones as no one wants to give you change for tips. We went to the Pacha nightclub that was supposed to free alway has a special event going on so on a Wednesday night it was paid admission and nothing was going on. Weak, Weak, Weak..dont go.

Lets talk about food. I have stayed at other resorts and highly reccommend the specialty restaurants in leiu of the buffets but not here. I went to the Italian restaurant, The steakhouse, and the Japenese Steakhouse and all three were terrible and unedible. I took2 bites at italian and 3 at the Steakhouse. Pretty bad when buffet is the best!

Now lets talk about the $1000 resort credit that you are unable to use at the Riu Palace and have to high tail it over to one of sister resorts to use...you can only use it in small increments of $35 and under. I had to ask Vacationexpress representative three times about it and she acted pissed that I dare to ask and gave me to coupon sheets totally $100 if I would have used them, so I think its safe to say that the Resort credit is Bull!!!! Vacation Express rep was good for nothing other then trying to sell excursions and told us we must come to the desk the day before our departure to check the time we should be in the lobby to go to the airport in their book but LOW AND BEHOLD the book was missing. All and all we had fun but only because we worked hard to. I think my Punta Cana days are over. I hear the Rius in Mexico are nice but I will not stay in one again if I have to bribe my way into a room that works. How crooked third world is that.

Room Tip: we were told there were two types of room..the JR suite and the bigger rooms...but apparently you ca...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mick D
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were awed by the beauty of this location. You felt like you were in a palace! All of the staff went out of the way to make sure you had a pleasant stay. The only issue I heard of was some rooms had trouble getting internet ( not ours) we stayed on the right side of the building ( if you were looking at the front of the building). The place offered various activities that you could choose to participate in, there was plenty of choices to drink and you are able to walk right out to the beach.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mary B
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We just returned from a week stay at the Riu Palace Punta Cana. We booked through Expedia and everything went smoothly. We were checked in quickly and were given a brief orientation. Since we arrived early, our room wasn't ready. We ate lunch at the buffet. We returned to the front desk and were given keys to our room. It was ready several hours before official check in. There are no magnetic key cards and you receive two keys (door / safe). It is attached to a very large plastic key ring. You may want to bring your own key ring to save space. We were then led to our room by the bellhop, who explained the amenities. He mentioned the beverage service includes a bottle of wine, but you need to request it from room service.

The room was located closer to the restaurants, lobby, sports bar and buffet, but far from the beach. This hotel has two main buildings that run adjacent or across from each other, with one end near the pool and the other closer to the facilities. There are really no ocean view rooms as the position of the buildings do not face the beach. We called and inquired about being moved closer to the beach and we were moved to a different room with no problem. After moving to our new room, we were surprised when room service delivered a bottle of wine. Apparently the bellhop had taken it upon himself to request it when we had mentioned we wanted wine. This is what i call great service.

We then took a tour of the grounds and everything was easy to find. All of the six restaurants, except for the steakhouse, are located in the same courtyard area. The steakhouse is located near the pool. Reserving at any restaurant was easy and you can eat at a different restaurant every day. They only accept reservations for two days in advance, so you will have to return two days later to reserve your next two. Reservations can be made each morning at Luigi's restaurant. We had dinner at the Bodega. They had a very small buffet area with soup and salad. The main meal consisted of various meats like chicken, steak, pork chop, sausage, etc being taken to your table. If you are a meat lover, this is great. We found the meats to be overcooked and kind of rough. If not for this, our meal would have been great. We also ate at the steakhouse. It was very good. Their lobster was small with not enough meat. It was definitely not a Maine Lobster. Despite this, the rest of the meal and service was very good. We did not eat at the other restaurants as we did not find the menu items to our liking. That is not to say they weren't good, but we found the buffet to have more than enough items to meet our needs. At the buffet, if you sit in the same area, you will be served by the same person. We did this and our waitress got to know our needs. I tipped her several dollars each night at dinner for her service. While tipping is not necessary, I don't understand people who have a problem giving a few dollars to workers who are living in real poverty. In all but the steak restaurant, males aren't permitted to wear shorts or tank tops. There is a limited room service menu located in the room.

The Riu complex is a series of hotels next to each other. As a guest at the Palace, you are able to use the facilities at the Bambu and Naiboa, including bars and buffets (not dinner). We visited the Riu Macao and Bavaro and used their pools, but could not get drinks. We checked the Bavaro restaurants. They had the same exact menu as the palace. There is a cobblestone path at the end of the beach that leads to each resort.

The palace has a good gym with treadmills and steppers. There is a 2nd gym at Caribbean Street with free weights, but the equipment is rusted. There is a disco located across the casino open till 4 am. Entry is free, but drinks must be purchased. If you don't want to walk to the disco or casino, there is a free shuttle that will drop you off at the casino. There is also a very nice pool bar located at the Naiboa. It has a view of the pool and tables to sit at. The ambiance was very good and the drinks and service was awesome.

The main attraction is the beach, which is beautiful. We never had a problem finding chairs, but there are not many shaded areas and no canopies to hide under, so bring sunscreen. Bar staff provide service at the beach, but we found it quicker to get the drinks ourselves. We had our own large insulated cups which they gladly filled. The bars have a menu listing the various drinks they offer. Chairs were a little harder to find by the pool, but you could always find one nearer the 2nd or 3rd row from the front.

Our room had daily beverage service which consisted of water, beer and sodas stocked in the refrigerator. I would leave several dollars every other day and our fridge was always stocked. A coffee machine is provided and there is also an automated liquor station with four bottles that you could use freely. The balcony had a built in rack to hang or dry clothes. The room was always extremely clean and everything worked well. There is an lcd tv, but it is not connected to hd. To our surprise, there was daily turn down service each night. We didn't see any insects or bugs and there is no need for repellent. We received a call several days into our vacation to inquire how everything was going and if the hotel could do anything to make our stay better. This was very nice. Having been to Punta Cana before, we were very surprised that no timeshare solicitation, or offers of free gifts to get you to attend one was ever attempted. We were glad this was the case.

In regards to the entertainment, there are nightly shows, the sports bar, and disco. Every night we walked to the other Riu hotels to see if we liked their entertainment better. We also did an atv tour and a safari tour which showed you the local area. It included lunch and horseback riding but the many stops were really intended to attempt to get you to buy items such as cigars, coffee, cocoa, liquor, pictures, etc. I believe it would be better to negotiate a price with a cab and do your own tour to avoid the sales pitches and to spend time visiting or doing things you actually want to do. Macao beach is beautiful and I highly recommend visiting.

In closing, the Palace is an excellent resort that was kept immaculate. The service was outstanding and the buffet was very adequate. To avoid sales pitches for tours, skip the next day orientation and confirm your transfer pickup the day before you leave. We will definitely return!!!

16  Thank ae2j1