“Holiday accidentw”

Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana
Ranked #70 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Holiday accidentw”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Lovely hotel. Friendly, helpful staff. Stayed from 22nd May for 2 weeks. My husband injured his foot on the 'decked ' beach area ( used for dance classes, yoga etc). Walking across same, barefoot (sand too HOT!!!) caught the sole of his foot on broken piece of wood. Ended up with 'splinter ' about 1inch/ 1and half inch imbedded in foot - OUCH!!!!! Required wheelchair to get to room and taxi to local clinic (Caribbean street). Doctor at clinic could not remove 'splinter'. Advised to go to Hospital in Bavaro, more taxis. Our Thomson rep ( Julian) was amazing, he organised taxi, then came to the clinic, then the hospital . So, so helpful, spoke to nurse and doctor on our behalf. They wanted to do X-ray, he managed to talk them out of it. They carried out medical procedure to remove same. Quoted 1700 dollars, after much discussion regarding antibiotics and unnecessary medication , bill was finally 1400 dollars! If the amazing Julian had not been there, who knows what we would have paid. Both staff at Clinic and Hospital spoke better English than our Spanish, but still struggled to understand each other.

Thomson Holidays have an amazing employee in Julian. Until the end of our holiday, he checked we were okay.

Hope to return to this hotel. Rooms are dated but very clean, our maid ( room 0108) so helpful

Food - travelled extensively - Mexico, Maldives, Cuba, Spain,France, Austria, Portugal, most of Europe - impressed with buffet - yes there is repetition, but never ate the same thing twice. A la carte restaurants - Italian - cold food. Krystal - ,lukewarm food. (Walked out)

Beach incredibly busy, water sports of every type available, helicopters flying overhead most of the day, lots of people walking to and fro.

Would still return to a well maintained, friendly hotel.

We did not drink from the 'in room' mini bar. Mentioned this to staff that we don't drink rum,gin,vodka or brandy, my husband drinks whisky. Next day, a bottle of Johnny Walker red lable in room,that's what I call customer service.

Go and try this hotel, you will not be sorry. Watch out for Adrian, Jasmine, De Paula and Victor and lots more friendly staff. ENJOY!!!!!!

If you travel with Thomson, you are in safe hands with the fantastic Julian.

carte restaurants - not impressed - Italian - cold food ( walked out) . Krystal - lukewarm food.

Room Tip: Room 0108 ground floor facing courtyard. Clean, quiet and handy got everything. We had requested an...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alejandromac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (956)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is the first time we have visited the Dominican Republic and staying in a Riu hotel. Before I went away, like most people I trolled tripadvisor before I left reading reviews of the hotel, location and trips/excursions to do whilst we were away.

Firstly our holiday started brilliantly by flying Premium Club on the Thomsons Dreamliner. ABSOLUTELY amazing! The upgraded luggage allowance was excellent, having the luxury of 23kg for each our suitcases and 7kg for hand luggage was an extra worry of being overweight that we didn't have. We got checked in in our dedicated check-in, Thomson staff were lovely checking us in. Very smiley and chatty which seems to be quiet rare usually they just want to get you processed and away! We were first to board the plane aswell and we have the first 8-10 rows of the plane dedicated for premium club. While you are settling into your mahoosive seats the cabin crew come round with a tray of fresh orange juice or sparkling wine for you to enjoy while the rest of the flight are filling in. Once in the air the crew hand out your menus for the inflight meal, unlike normal plane food this 3 course meal was actually edible and tasted very nice! You could not want for anything on this flight, the staff wait on you hand and foot. The pamper and relaxation pack was a nice boost to have and the individual tablet is an absolute gold mine. There are about 16 films for you to choose from at any point during the flight, there's also tv programmes, a wide variety of music and games to choose from and you can also link your iPhone/iPad up to it too incase you've loaded films onto those. Your also first to get off the plane too and the taxi transfer was great just being able to get straight out and to the hotel with no real hanging about waiting on buses etc.

The drive up to the Riu Palace Punta Cana was simply amazing, it really is absolutely like nothing you've seen before. Once we had checked in we headed up to our room to check it out and the room is nice enough. The bed is huge and the bathroom is nice however as we walked out onto the balcony it was very clear that we were facing out onto what looked like the service yard between our hotel and the hotel next to us. In the mear 5 minutes we stayed in the room we must have heard about 2 trucks hurdling along the road and it didn't look like we would get any sunshine on this balcony either. I'd asked when I booked the hotel that we have a view of the fountains when I booked the hotel as I'd read previous reviews and was told that would be sorted for me. We headed back down and spoke with Wellington at reception who was helpful but did tell us that we would need to pay for an upgrade to change our room, reluctantly we paid the $260 for the room and it was well worth the money. We went to the morning meeting and booked three excursions, Dr.Fish, Treasures of the Sea and a Caribbean Cruise. Definitely do Dr Fish as it was just amazing! Lovely and relaxing.

We only ate in one of the a la carte restaurants, the steakhouse restaurant. The meal was ok, however we went into the buffet not long afterwards for something else to eat. The buffet itself was always well stocked with a wide selection of meats, fish and salad stuff to try. There seemed to be a lot of flies around sadly but staff were always on top of refilling drinks and taking away your plates when you were finished. Both my boyfriend and I had upset stomachs a few days after arriving and the only thing we can think was making us unwell was the fruit. We were having it for breakfast, and some at lunch or dinner but as soon as we stopped eating it we were both absolutely fine. It looks so good and juicy aswell!

Our rep Julian was brilliant, he was there if you needed anything and even offered to get suncream, drinks etc from outside the complex for us to save you money as the shop is dearly priced. The only other issue we had seemed to be ordering drinks at night, the staff didn't seem to be able to get the drinks right. We either got the right number of drinks but not the right drinks or only one right drink etc. Just couldn't seem to get it right.

All in all it was a great holiday, really nice and chilled out. I don't think we'd return however, not because of the hotel but just because there's not an awful lot to do.

Room Tip: Definitely make sure that you have a room facing onto the fountains when you check in initially.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rhall20142014
Shreveport
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I just got back home yesterday. Had an awesome time at this resort . The room was a little damp, so we did not use the a /c very much. The food was good, there was a wide variety of everything. The beaches were very nice The only negative was with SCUBA CARIBE the salesman came over and we finally sighned up for trip.,, the trip was great .. did some snorkeling, and had a water party aftter this we almost ran out of gas..to top that... thw boat captain dropped us literally 3/4 from the resort and we did have to walk back. Other than that , it was great.

Room Tip: One thats not too damp, one thar faces the inside walkway
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KimberShreveport
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just got back from this holiday and have to say what a fantastic place.The hotel and staff where excellent,If you hear any bad reports about this hotel i would ignore them, all the staff could not do enough to please you,In each restaurant ( 5 which you book to go into)the staff are extremely pleasant ,great service and very quick .Entertainment each evening is very good and different for 2 weeks running .All in all can not fault hotel in anyway .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie H
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

The resort is very beautiful inside and out, beach is awesome and long...u can walk both ways for hours. The food is good and buffet has a big variety of dishes, salads, meats and desserts. All desserts, appetizers and salads are put out so beautiful on little personal plates and bites. The restaurants are hit and miss I guess...we didn't really like Brazilian, being to Brazilian restaurant in other resort this one was poor... This is our 5th day here so we are going to try Japanese tomorrow. Steak house was better in Riu Palace Cancun, we stayed there in January this year. Here the steak was good but lobsters were offal. Yesterday they had a special party in the steak house by the Beach and that was awesome, they had BBQ steaks, chicken, lamb, pork and lobsters- though lobsters were not good- they tasted overcooked and saggy...like a cotton ..horrible. All the meat was great on the other hand.... I don't know if they just don't know how to cook them or those lobsters are lame...shrimps same thing are way to soft and u can taste sand on ur teeth. I been to 3 other resorts in punta cana and never ate such a horrible shrimps and lobsters....for me it was a bummer as I really like them and was looking forward to eat them. Krystal we really liked and going back there today, we ordered lamb there and beef sirloin it was cooked great. The service is good everywhere. Staff are really trying to keep everything clean and beautiful. The room is being cleaned twice a day and the room is nice and specious. Get the room on 4th floor with view to inside pools and alley... Its most beautiful and u will be able to see ocean from side of balcony. The beach is clean and water is awesome. Drinks are strong. I would want to come back but I wish they would have better shrimps and lobsters.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
San Antonio
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Despite what is shown for when I travelled, this is a trip I took with several friends in May 2012.

I travel quite a bit and this was my first trip to the Dominican Republic. The RIU Palace is a very large resort, which I like, with one of the most attractive beaches I have ever been to. This is saying a lot considering I do quite a few beach vacations. The pool is fantastic as is the swim-up bar which is situated with it's back to the beach. This makes for an easy transition if you want to go from the ocean to the pool, and the transitional area is absolutely beautiful with plenty of palm trees and places to relax. Just picturesque!

We were very impressed with our room, which included a safe (no extra charge) and a nice bar setup consisting of various liquors for you to help yourself to. This is above & beyond your typical all-inclusives that give you a few cheap beers in a small fridge with a few sodas. The service for anything else you needed was impeccable. The staff is eager to please and got us whatever we needed quite fast.

The food at this resort was just fine. We had no problems; however, we weren't expecting a great deal. I would put it a notch above typical all-inclusive buffets without a doubt. There was a great little restaurant near the pool area where shirts/shoes were not necessary. This is always appreciated!

There isn't a whole lot to explore on one's own outside the resort and I wouldn't recommend doing so. This is what the excursions are for. We did a great zip-line day trip that was certainly worth it. We also did one of the snorkeling trips via catamaran that was very enjoyable.

I would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We stayed at the end of the hotel closest to the pool and loved it!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank DocHolloway
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I want to start off by saying everyone has their different opinions about this hotel. It depends on the most you make out of it. I came here with my boyfriend. We booked through American Express/Amstar vacations. When we arrived, at the front desk we were greeted with welcome drinks (yummy pineapple). Overall our experience was wonderful.

PROS:
- The safe is included. I've been to a few all inclusive resorts and some charge extra for safe use. Here, it was free.
- Free Wifi - it's spotty however in our room (0145) it was strong and fast.
- There were always lounge chairs available in the morning. You can put your towels on them to hold your spot...nobody touches anything. Felt very safe leaving our bags and belongings at the chairs while swimming and participating in activities.
- Staff was always friendly and welcoming.
- Ronny at main buffet was our man breakfast and dinner. He always knew where we liked to sit and held our seats for us and treated us wonderfully. We gave him a few singles after every meal. On the last day we gave him a larger tip for being so great.
- Victor, one of the pool servers, was also great. He would joke around with us and even taught us some spanish.
- One night, Roses were given out to the ladies at the main buffet for dinner. Always lovely decorations and flowers on tables.
- Rooms were perfect size. Beds comfortable.
- I can't believe there was turn down service every night. The maid staff was amazing. They even took my rose and put it in a vase so it wouldn't die. We left a few tips here and there.
- I've been to a lot of all inclusives and the food at the riu restaurants was hands down the best food I've had. I highly recommend Steakhouse (ask for your meat Medium). And Italian.

CONS
- keep your room AC on a timer, and don't leave it blasting cold. I noticed it made the sheets/bedding damp feeling.
- We were huge NHL fans and wanted to watch the Stanley Cup finals..I did my research and thought the hotel would have---but they didn't carry NBC so we couldn't watch. We actually traveled off of the resort one night to Steve's Corner Bar Bavaro. It was strange...but the people were friendly and we could watch the game. But if you're really dying to watch something, bring an iPad.
- some of the pool towels were stained, probably from sun lotion, etc...wasn't bad.
- THE POOL WATER WAS DISGUSTINGLY WARM. I understand it's 95 degrees but they need to keep the pool cooler. At around 4PM when we would come back from the beach, the pool was so warm and disgusting especially by the bar I felt like I was swimming in piss because you knew nobody left that bar.

**We are in a Spanish speaking country...people are so ignorant to assume that they should understand English. The language barrier was not a problem. Sometimes you may have to point or be patient to show them what you want...but many workers have been there a long time and are used to dealing with foreigners and the different languages.**

We did Dolphin Explorer as the only excursion. The staff was not enthusiastic at all and it showed...kind of pathetic. and the price for photographs was ridiculously expensive. the actual experience (we did the dolphin excellence program) was great. our trainer was great and the dolphins titan and picasso were beautiful. they truly care for the dolphins.

Traveled June 3rd- June 10th. Weather was lovely..overcast some days in the afternoons and humid. prime tanning times were from 8AM-12PM.

Room Tip: Loved the ground floor...super convenient and we didn't care much about the view since we aren...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#44 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana? Share your experiences!