“Beware: WheelChair Stolen First Night There” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana
Ranked #67 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Hartford, Connecticut
“Beware: WheelChair Stolen First Night There”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I continue to believe these "wonderful" reviews are written by company employees. While there are many comments regarding the excessive expectations of American tourists, I think there is a global desire to be provided a safe environment if you are paying to stay in a resort. My mothers wheelchair was stolen the first night my family was there and no replacement was available. There was no attempt at prioritizing this robbery with the staff in fact they all but ignored me when I ran frantically to the front desk. I know it was an "inside" job as my family ran around the "resort" seconds after the wheelchair went missing to no avail. Looking in bushes,behind buildings etc. This can only mean the wheelchair went into a room. After this the staff would not issue a report for the insurance company so we could not be reimbursed and then they DID NOT HAVE A CHAIR TO LOAN US nor did they assist us in finding a local merchant who would rent us one. It was a nightmare and upon return home I contacted the company. No matter what anyone says, large American companies are at least a little concerned about this type of thing, perhaps because of potential bad press or litigation, however my attempts to contact the RIU company were in vain. It would be hard to rate anything other than this horrendous service as it was the focus of the trip but my impression was beach and pools areas were overcrowded. The food passable. The rooms OK but with rock hard beds. Not very clean; somewhat of a moldy smell but this often the case in the Caribbean. But truly the trip never went past the absolute poorest, almost non-existent customer service I have ever experienced. These "fantastic" reviews are, in my mind, quite questionable.

Room Tip: Choose no room. Just do some more research and go somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Pickyhotelclient

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This resort was a major disappointment. Everything looks so beautiful in the pictures, and the hotel really does look just like the pictures, however the pictures don't tell you that the bed is comparable to sleeping on a pile of bricks and the sheets feel like sandpaper. The pictures don't show you that there is no chance of getting your room at the 3:00PM check in time because the front desk is so organized. There is no "first come, first serve". The room were finally were given, not only had a horrible bed, but the faucet in the bathtub didn't work so there was no way to use jetted bath tub. The water was cold and very low water pressure. I basically bathed out of the sink. However, the absolute worst experience was when the bell hop filled the elevator with himself, me, my husband, 4 other guests, and a full luggage rack. The elevator couldn't hold the weight and we got trapped for at least 15 minutes. We refused to use the elevators the rest of our stay and our legs were exhausted from all the stairs. Finally, don't count on using the WiFi in your room. It only works part of the time in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank mglne21
Peoria, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We have gone to the Riu Palace Punta Cana 4 times in the last 5 years. This is a very comfortable hotel convenient to beaches that go on for miles and miles. The staff in the hotel go out of there way to be helpful. They remember returning guests. We recognize other guests from past years as they return also. There are 5 restaurants to choose from Entertainment could be improved--we could probably perform the childrens program as it is the same every evening and has been all 4 years. We return because we enjoy the location and the amenities.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Desertgal422
Henderson, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This vacation designation is not for handicapped wheelchair bound people period. Starting at the airport arrival, there are no Jet-ways at the airport for wheelchair people to de-plane. 4 people had to carry my wife off the aircraft down a portable stairway. Same thing on the way back home. Transport buses to the airport/hotel have no ramps to get you into the vehicle. We had to hire a driver that had a Toyota van so we could get my wife in the front seat and the rest of the luggage in the back. No handicapped rooms from what we were told by the staff, even though we asked for such a room when we booked the vacation. No shower chair/bench in the shower for the wife. When we called the front desk, they replied, "We will get her something to sit on"!!! They showed up 30 minutes later with a plastic picnic chair!!! Not what we were thinking of, but it worked out. Forget about the tours; there again, no place to sit for the wife. We took the safari/outback tour, which I do recommend, if you are not disabled. My poor wife had to sit up front with the driver, Leo, who was fantastic driver by the way, on a bench seat chair that was approx. 4 1/2 feet off of the street level. I still don't know how i got her off and on the truck 4 times during the tour. Curbs are huge, approx. 18 inches in some places due to the flooding in the month of May; Very difficult to get around something like that. Yes, you are going to a third world country that is very poor and the infrastructure is not the USA, but this is a tourist destination after all. Our overall view of the Riu Palace Bavaro in Punta Cana, is the hotel and staff were very good. Very friendly and more than happy to help you. Rosa, our housekeeper was awesome. For a non-handicapped person, 4 stars; for a handicapped person 1 star.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #2037, no ocean view at all. If you want an ocean view you have to upgrade to the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Neil P
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed June 28, to July 4, 2014. We had a very very good time, the beach, you and can sit or walk as far as you want, the staff came around about every 20 minutes with drinks or to get what you needed that was every day. The pool was just as nice, everything was always clean. The food was ok, things I liked and things I didn't like but always a lot of food. The rooms were in very good shape plenty of room king size bed flat screen tv a lot of stations, stocked fridge, and a liquor cabinet We stayed at Riu Palace Bavaro Sept 2013 we liked it so well we came back, if you come to Punta Cana you can't go wrong staying here or Bavaro. I have never seen the staff be anything but helpful. If you stay here and you wanted for something and didn't ask, that is your fault.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room We stayed on the 3rd floor on back side, quite but no good v...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank chuckm61
tranent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This has been one of the best holidays weve been on, it has been 5star all the way, from the hotel to the staff, to the excursions, the only thing i would complain about is the holiday wasnt long enough, we are just back from a fortnights holiday, could have been longer.
The staff at the Riu are magnificent, they run after you all day and night and have always got a smile for you.
The hotel was brill although does need a little touch up here and there, especially the pool a few tiles missing, but apart from that the cleanliness was great and the rooms were fab.
The food at the Riu was absolutely fabulous, the buffet restaurant was superb, the displays they done with the food were stunning and the taste of everything was great.
My husband and I went on 3 excursions, The Eco Caribe, The Outback Safari, and Santo Domingo, all 3 were first class.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are great
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank william w
Irmo, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Entered hotel and everyone was great. Guys at counter friendly and helpful. Room very nice, but did feel a little damp at times. House keeping was great. Juana did a great job keeping me organized and clean. Every night someone came around to offer fresh towels and see if i needed anything. Not sure she knew English, bit nice anyway. Staff at buffet was great and very helpful. There is apparently a shortage of ice because you have to ask for it. I thought since i usually sat in the same section they would remember i liked a lot of ice, but they always brought it over. Food was good could have been a little more variety. Other restaurants were just fair. I would stick with buffet. Definitely would avoid steak house...it is open air and after i dress for dinner i need air condition. If you must eat in one of the restaurants i would chose the Italian, but make your reservations 2 days in advance. Please eat dinner because the room service is the worst thing at the hotel. Menu is very limited and food is awful. It most all be 2 day old left overs. Sports bar was very smokey so avoid that if smoke is a problem. Bar in lobby area was busy and the only time i had a problem with any staff. It could have been me because it was after an excursion and i was hot, sweaty, dirty, thirsty and hungry...but that bartender really made me mad. By the way she was the only female bartender at the resort and all the front counter workers were men. All the staff was great very helpful and friendly. I would go back any day. Don't forget to have several Costa Caribes, Sammy Sosa's and Coco Rosa. These are drinks!

Room Tip: Don't pay for the upgrade rooms. I just slept there.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends