“It is what YOU make of it”

Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana
Ranked #66 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
San Antonio, Texas
“It is what YOU make of it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Let me start by saying, I was just like yourself surfing and reading up on the reviews. Reading all the praise and/or horror stories of the Good, Bad, & the Ugly of other's travels. In my travels I've stayed in 5-Star resorts all the way to the complete dumps that you couldn't get away from fast enough. The Riu Palace Punta Cana is sitting comfortably on its laurels in its 4-Star rating. This hotel is what you make of it, and is all in your state of mind. That being said here are my two-cents, of my recent visit/experience. (June 29 - July 9, 2014) Also just remember kindness and respect will get you everywhere!! Take it easy, remember you ARE on Vacation.

Upon arrival at the hotel my elderly parents, nephew, and myself were greeted at check in with a nice cool beverage. The check-in process itself was quick and painless, the rooms were ready on time and we were quickly escorted to them. The lobby is spectacular, statues and art reproductions line the walls, not to mention the gran chandelier as you walk in. It is something to see when it is all lit up.

The room itself was as expected and seen in pictures, I opted for the Superior rooms and the view is of the lush gardens and pool area. Regular rooms are exactly the same minus this view (so if its about the view for you, upgrade if not you will be in the exact type of room facing other hotels and landscapes). The rooms were clean and maintained to normal peoples standards unless you choose to nitpick about everything. Now I will agree with others about a slight musty odor, BUT this is to be expected in ANY tropical climate due to the humidity. Its the smell of the sea air, and you will grow used to it after a few hours in the climate. The Housekeeping staff is very attentive and always willing to do what they can. I was lucky enough to be paired with a true jem of the housekeeping staff, ANA MURILLO. Ana went out of her way to make sure our stay was a pleasant one, it was like having a second mother around, making sure we survived our nights out. Always greeting us with a smile and a good laugh; and of course a beautiful new towel creation daily. And I must add this!! In my excitement to hit the beach I accidently left Jewelry and cash out... I know, I know.. When I realized what I had done I rushed back to the room. The room was cleaned and my jewelry, thought lost to the world, was in a neat pile for me. I WAS IN SHOCK!! While I don't recommend testing this theory in any hotel, it was nice to know that there are still a few VERY HONEST employees in this hotel, THANKS ANA!!!.

The Beach... well what can you really say.. ITS BEAUTIFUL!! And I would think so, isn't that the reason most of us are booking this trip anyway. The swimming pools are average. The infinity pool is nice, but small. The Large pool with swim up bar is ok as well. The temperature of the pool changes throughout the day as the sun heats the tiles, and not for the reasons most claim due to no one moving from the swim up bar haha. The swim up bar is another animal in itself. It is VERY difficult to get a drink here. As there is only one bar with 4 bartenders working, its a busy place with a lot of demanding people all wanting complex mixed drinks. If everyone was ordering beer or something directly out of the frozen machines it would move faster, but as they are not it does take some time for each persons order. (Pool Tip- order simple frozen drinks virgin or alcoholic in multiples, and you will be fine) There is also a Free Spa available to guest of the hotel. It is in the back of the Spa building past the glass doors. Here there are 2 small co-ed tiled Jacuzzi style pools, one cold and the other heated. They also offer separate facilities for men and women with showers, steam and dry sauna rooms. While they are separate, keep in mind that everyone tends to roam free in all the areas. So use au natural at your own risk haha.

The food and restaurants vary by your particular tastes. The Main buffet "Don Manuel" does its job of offering an array of foods. Somewhat limited depending on your tastes, but there is something for everyone from the vegans to the hard core carnivores. Keep in mind that the clientele here is mostly European, and the buffet is catered to their tastes. You may see foods you might not be familiar with, give them a try you are on vacation. If you don't like it, don't eat it, that simple. The desserts are kind of one-note, with not much out of the buffet style desserts. (Dining Tip- Pick a section/servers in the buffet and go back to that one for every meal you have there. The servers are very good at remembering your likes and dislikes, and will accommodate accordingly) Our servers for this trip were JUAN #1 & JOSE MIGUEL. These men were always eager to serve and make sure your dining experience is to your satisfaction. THANKS AGAIN JUAN & JOSE!!

The Theme restaurants are very hit or miss. While there we experienced the: Japanese, Italian, Brazilian, & Steakhouse. The Japanese was just horrible! Its all great during the sushi course, then goes downhill fast from there. Avoid it if you are expecting anything resembling Asian cuisine. The Italian was ok. The antipasta bar is great, with a slightly different selection for the regular buffet antipasta bar. The pasta course is hit or miss with how al dente your pasta is cooked, sometimes with a mix in the same serving. The Brazilian is an assortment of roasted meats and your run of the mill salad bar. For my fellow carnivores out there this is the place for you. But most meats are cooked well-done here, so don't expect much less. But you might get lucky like I was when I heard people complaining about it being raw, I flagged the guy over to discover they were complaining about medium-rare beef. Needless to say luck was in my favor that evening...mmmmm medium-rare steak.. The steakhouse is actually very decent. The starters is a platter of various seafood. (One strange fact though- for a place that serves Lobster and crab, there is not a pair of claw crackers to be found at any restaurant on this resort!! Be prepared to crack and pry them with your hands) The steaks here are cooked to order, so it can be as rare as you like it, or they can just make you a hockey puck.

The Nightlife and Bars are truly what you make of them. I will be honest there is really no set night life after the evening shows in the theatre end at 10:30/11:00PM. The shows are exactly what they are Hotel Shows, don't expect Vegas! But the performances are somewhat entertaining if you just sit back and relax with a drink or coffee. The hotel does offer a shuttle service to the neighboring Macao property's Casino and Night Club every 10/15 minutes. The casino is SMALL with about 40 slots and 4 table games. If your are expecting any resemblance of a casino you are used to this is NOT the place for you. The Nightclub is what you would expect, small dark room with lightshow and loud music. But keep in mind it is not owned by the hotel and you must pay for ALL drinks here. Should you choose none of the above the hotel does offer two other options on property the Lobby Bar & 24-Hour Sports Bar. The lobby bar is a nice quiet place to unwind and have a coffee or drink. The beautiful atmosphere allows you to relax, have conversations, or meet other hotel guests. YAHANNI is always ready to serve up drinks with a smile. The only down side is that it closes at Midnight, and lights are off by 12:15AM and its a ghost town. The 24-Hour Sports bar is where everyone decides to go after all is closed. They have multiple TVs showing various sporting events from around the world. They also have a snack area of Nachos, sandwiches, hotdogs, hamburgers, and fruit plates. RIJO the bartender here is here to help you finish your evening. He will make sure you have a great time, and wake up with a great hangover in the morning if you want to. The kind of hangover that keeps you going back each night, and wondering why you even left in the first place!! THANKS RIJO!!!!

All in all the resort is a great place to vacation. It is all what you make of it for yourself here. If you choose to nitpick and be miserable that is exactly what you will find. BUT if you keep and open mind and just enjoy yourself you will have a fun memorable time, I know I did. And PLEASE PLEASE let us all remember that Tipping is not a city in China, While tips are not required, they ARE appreciated greatly. That $1 that means little to you could mean much more to them. So let the staff know that they are doing something great even if you can't do it monetary but with a gracious THANK YOU. You'd be surprised how far that can get you on your vacation. Put yourself in their shoes in your own job, do you remember the multiple people that complain to you, or the few that appreciate you and show it. You would go out of your way for them and they will do the same for you!

Should you want to try excursions I would highly suggest Saona Island, chat with MEL from VIP travel in the lobby, he will take great care of you.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
24 Thank Mark M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Waukesha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Our room was wrong the first night and hey could not fix it until the next day. When we did get our new room we had to take our own bags to the room on the third floor and the elevator was broken. My boyfriend carried both of our 50lbs bags up three flights. The beds are terrible and when you tell them they placed single blanket over your mattress and say it's better. The rooms look like they have patched and repainted more times than they should be. Our sheets were scratchy and sometimes had stains. The towels were in similar condition. Our shower curtain also had questionable stains. Our mini bar was not replenished regularly and even when tipped (in many cases very generally) the staff is not responsive.

The dining areas are okay but sometimes look questionable in regards to sanitation. This was confirmed when we made a reservation at their "steakhouse". First of all the food was terrible the lobster looked sick and the steak was so tough I could hardly cut it. The worst of it was when we found a caterpillar cooked into our mixed vegetables. It was so gross and to top it off they hardly did anything to compensate us. Also Both my boyfriend and I both ended up sick. I get that happens sometimes when you travel but we both were very cautious about what we ate and drank. I was so sick I couldn't leave the room at all one day. Room service will only bring you exactly what is on the menu and they only have like four things on the menu. They also get very weird about you trying to bring buffet food back to your room which my boyfriend tried to do for me when I got so sick. I will never stay at another Riu hotel. We had a great time every time we left our resort but the hotel was not at all what they advertised.

Room Tip: Wifi is free but spotty get a room near the lobby.
3 Thank Megan R
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Overall, the resort was beautiful. The beach was great and the rooms were gorgeous. The pool was fun and everything was clean and well kept. However, the food and drinks were horrendous. Basically, only beer or soda was drinkable and the food was so, so, so bad. I'd spend a little more money next time and stay at an amresort. I'd never go back to a Riu.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zrturrell
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

RIU PALACE PUNTA CANA - NEVER AGAIN!

First of all, I'd like to apologise for my English, since it's not my first languish.

On the first week of this month of July, 2014, we were at Riu Palace Punta Cana for 8 days, to celebrate our 41st. Wedding Anniversary. Two more couples teaveled with us.

I've been waiting all thise days because I wanted to have a cool down period.

We were last year at Riu Palace Riviera Maya, and even though both hotels look exactly alike, it was a big difference of what we got in Mexico which was a lot better than in P. Cana.

In the rooms the bed was very hard and the sheets were rough. In the liqueur dispenser the bottles were almost empty. The light bulbs inside the bath tube didn't work (and either in the two rooms of our friends) and when you close the shower curtain it was dark inside. The TV set was acroos the sofa, in the other side of the room, not in front of the bed and that was an inconvenient for us who like to watch TV on bed.

Our travel agent in Miami (the agency is Top Vacations) had told us that we will have premium liqueurs (in Mexico we did) and it wasn't true: The best whiskey they had was Red Lable ant the best tequila was Jose Cuervo, wich both are cheep liqueurs.

The food was good (in Mexico it was even better).
We went to two specialty restaurants: Krystal where we have our Anniversary Dinner and it was fabulous. the food was delicious and they prepared a celebration to us with decorations, a yummy cake and all the waitresses sang Happy Anniversary to us. It was awesome and we really appreciate what they did. This was the 2nd of July.
We went to La Altagracia Steakhouse also. We ordered filet and lobster and this one was very slim and long, but the meet was the size of a small shrimp. They told us that this was not a lobster season. Well, in that case, I think they should remove it from the menu untill season comes.
The buffete restaurant was very good (I keep thinking that in Mexico was better) The food was tasty and varied.

The shows were bad. In one week there were only two good shows.

The activities were very good. The Animation team was excellent: Sponge Bob, Sexy Kelvin, Cartier, Coco Loco, Madelyn, Ray and Chocolate always make us have super good times.

All the employes, the waitresses and the people from the bars (Alejandro and Richard) were very nice and made an excellent job.

The WiFi didn't work in our room. only at the lobby.

Some elevators were out of order.

The beach is beautiful.

By the way, It's the first time in our trips (We are used to travel two or three times in a year) that there is no celebration of the 4 of July in a resort. Not a decoration, not a thematic dinner at the buffet, not even a single word. All the americans that brought t-shirts and flags didn't have any response from the hotel. That's a shame since so many americans came to visit this resort.

AND WE HAD A SERIOUS PROBLEM:

Our travel agent had told us that as clients of one of the Palace we could visit the rest of the Riu hotels (in Mexico it was that way) and they have a transportation for the hotels, the casino and the discotec. the bus is supposed to pass every 10 minutes.
There are five hotels in this Riu resort. Palace Bavaro is the first one and Palace Punta Cana is the last one.
The night of our anniversary, after dinner we went to the Palace Bavaro with our friends. We enjoyed the show and had a Sambuca drink. After that we went to the front door to wait for the bus. We were six people all over 60 years old. After 20 minutes waiting my wife went to the front desk to get some information about the bus. The person there told her that the bus was supposed to pass every 20 minutes (not 10) but if we wanted they could call a taxi that will cost $5, but we would need two of them because we were a group of six. My wife told him that we will wait the bus.
After 1 hours and 20 minutes, I went to the front desk for the third time and ask them to do something to help us and the persons (3 of them) were very rude whith me and I ask for the complain book to make a report and they sayed they didn't have any. In that moment a man that was seating in a desk all the time without saying a word, and told me he was the manager, named Nelson, came to me and I thought that he was going to solve the problem, but instead, he came yelling at me that this is not our hotel and get out of his hotel. At that point my wife took the camera and started making a video. Wen Nelson saw her, he thougt she was taking pictures and when she tol hem it was a video he got more agresive and my wife stoped recording because she got concern that he could hert her. By the way, at that time the lobby was deserted. There were only us and them and they had tuned the lights off. The video last about 30 seconds but you can see clearly this man attitude. I don't know if I have the option for upload it.

To avoid losing sanity, I started walking towards my hotel to get help and after about 20 minutes walking I found a security guard in a motorcycle and ask him for help and he communicated with the transportation people and send the bus to pick up the rest of the group. Finally I arrived to my hotel and waited for my wife and fiends.

NEXT DAY We knew that the bus stoped at the casino that is NEXT to the Bavaro but we didn't know it. And We also knew that there is a beautiful boardwalk by the beach and we could be in our hotel in less than a nice 10 minute walk, AND THOSE 4 MEN AT THE FRONT DESK AT THE LOBBY OF THE RIU PALACE BAVARO DID NOT TELL US THAT WE HAD THOSE EASY OPTIONS. I don't know if they have a commision for the taxis.
Later we knew that the clients of Bavaro hotel go to the discotec and casino walking since it's very close.

The next day we try to reach the director of our hotel to give him our complain. We let him written messages in the front desk but he never contacted us that day. Finally, next day, we waited at the door of his office and were able to talk to him. The big boss is a yung belgian man who speaks perfect Spanish. His name is Neil Salozari ( I don't know whow to spell his name)
We explain to him the situation two nights ago and let him watch the video. He sayed that it's correct that we didn't have the wright to visit the other Palace hotels and about the video he simply said that in 30 seconds he couldn't say what really happened that night. My wife tol him that 30 second were more than enough to see and listen to a Riu employe screaming to a group of Riu costumes. Untill that point the conversation was in good terms.
I told him what my travel agent had told us and he said that she just cheat at us.
I told him that she told us that the hotel will have the courtesy to give us a late check out because we arrived at 7:00 pm, and he said that we have to checkout at 12:00 pm, the regular time.
Then I commented to him that in the Riu Palace Riviera Maya we drank Black Lable and tequila Don Julio Reposado, he just said that it wasn't true, because Riu don't give those liqueurs. At that point I was realy pissed of for how he dared to tell me that I was a liar. Of corse, that was the end of the conversation.

The same night we were at La Plaza talking to the animation boys and we mentioned them the argument we had and the subdirector (the second boss) approached. He is dominican and his name is Melkis (didn't give us his last name) I'll will write the exact words:
Melkis: "Mister, you're talking more than you should"
Me: "And your treatment is less than it should be"
Melkis: "You know what you should do? "You should build a hotel for yourself"
Me: " And call you to be the manager" "I don't want you to speak to me, please!"

Conclusion, our Aniversary celebration was a failure, and thanks to the big managers our vacations that could be memorable, were miserable.

Oír friends are willing to corroborate this review.

WE DONT RECOMEND RIU PALACE PUNTA CANA HOTEL BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM THERE YOU CAN BE SURE NOBODY IS GOING TO SOLVE IT.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near an elevator.
7 Thank EDDYLU
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Trip dates were June 23 - June 29, 2014

Let me start of by saying, this trip was wonderful! Just me and my husband, no kids! The check in process was easy, the bell staff was courteous, and the wait staff in the restaurants were amazing. My advice for anyone that has a weak stomach is to not eat any meat or vegetables. I know it sounds crazy, but on the days that I only ate bread products or oat meal I wasn't sick. On the days that I ate meat or vegetables, I was sick. Bring lots of chewable pepto tablets!! Also, bring plenty of sunscreen, the sunscreen in the gift shop at the resort is around $40 US dollars. The free drinks were great and there was a large variety on the drink menu to choose from, but also you can get pretty much whatever you want. Make sure to take advantage of their cappuccino and espresso; its really good and we didn't realize they had it until about day 3 of the trip. Also, bring some dollars for tips, it's not required but we did tip when someone went above and beyond. The beach is amazing, the pool was awesome. Also, utilize the safe in your room for all of your valuables. We heard a from another family staying there that their daughters friends cell phone was stolen from their room. We heard of other incidents too, but this is the only one that we heard first hand, so I wouldn't want to post any second hand information regarding this.

So overall a great stay, but please be mindful of what you eat. I have literally never been that sick in my entire life.

We went on two excursions that I highly recommend!!! The pirate ship dinner cruise and the seascape excursion. Both were amazing and totally worth the price!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elaine T
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Very relaxing and enjoyable stay. It was a very reasonable price and food and rooms were excellent. Complete relaxation- we would definitely come back to this resort :-) over rating I would give it a 9

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Kristen O
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My boyfriend and I just got back on Sunday. He had stayed at a Riu in Mexico which he said was very similar to this one.
When we first got there at 11 am, they did not have any rooms available yet, which is understandable since check in is at 3 pm. We left out luggage with them, change into out bathing suites, grabbed a drink and headed to the beach. when we came back they had set us up for a room in the first floor. I believe it was 1113. When we got there the housekeeping lady was saying that the room was not ready, that it needed to be painted. My boyfriend notice a leak in the ceiling and urge for us to get a different room. We waiting another hour which was okay, we grabbed something to eat then went back to the lobby. They set us up on third floor.
The room and the pool view was beautiful. We personally liked the higher level because f the view. Each room has a balcony, which kept my boyfriend entertained while I got ready. The size of the bed was awesome! The bed was not the worse kind of bed but you are staying at a hotel what can you expect. The whole room was spacious and the bathrooms were nice and clean.
The food part I would say was a 5. We stayed there 4 nights 5 days. the 4th day we were tired of the food. It is a difference country what can you expect. I do want to give a special thank you to Jorge at the buffet who always welcomed us with a big smile and gave us the table we wanted.

The beach as beautiful, we were able to do the banana boat which we talked the guy down to 10 a person. The pool was very entertaining. The pool in the middle was out favorite pool, it was more for couples and adults. Everyone I saw there loved our bartender Henry. he walks around the pool and takes your order for drinks. Awesome Awesome guy!
The night life wasn't to spectacular but it was nice and relaxing. We were also able to get wifi in our room with no additional cost.
Overall we had a great experience.. We did two excursions (horseback riding and the Bavaro Splash). We met great people there. My boyfriend and I plan on keeping our Riu tradition and visit the ones in Spain, Costa Rica and Panama.

Room Tip: If you like a nice view go for the third floor pool view,
5 Thank destinyyy2010