“Simply amazing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
United States
“Simply amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

This resort is pretty amazing.
It is very quiet and very relaxing.

There is no nightlife, so if you are looking for that...this is not the place.

The Spa was delightful. Go early in your stay, so that you can return for another treatment during your vacation, after you realize how delightful it is!

La Yola was our favorite restaurant. We ate there twice. Great atmosphere. Great food.

There is a grocery store at "the village". A very nice sized grocery store. The TB staff will drive you to the village and you call them to bring you back to the resort. We did this twice. However, both times we were there we found that there were almost no stores open (other than grocery store). Rather disappointing. So, don't plan for much time in the village, because there isn't much there.

The golf cart was so much fun to drive! And we drove it a lot!
The staff at TB are very well trained, and it shows in every area.

We had a 2 bedroom villa directly on the beach. It was quite heavenly. Beds are great. Bathrooms are luxurious. Be sure to use the bath gel, etc.... that they provide. Great products!!!

We went deep sea fishing through the resort one day. Caught a very large fish. It was a sailfish. The boat captain tried his best to release the fish, but he could tell that the fish was not going to make it, so we kept it. Brought it to the Bamboo Restaurant and they cooked it for us for dinner! It was SOOOOO good! The Chef did an excellent job!

Do not miss swimming in the fresh water springs!
It was one of the highlights of my week!
We brought our own snorkel equipment with us from home, and we snorkeled in the spring. Very cool water, which was very refreshing.

It rained only one time in the week. And only for a short while. It was lovely.
There are many palm trees and coconut trees on the property. They make an amazing sound when the wind is blowing the leaves!

There are 2 universities that have an extension on the property. Located across the main road, near the petting zoo. One is Cornell University. We ran into one of the Professors and his students at the Springs one day, and then again when we stumbled upon their university facility. (The bees are here)

The resort has bees and bottles its own honey. They sell it for $4.00. (This exact plastic jar of honey will sell for $12.00 at the airport) Folks, don't miss this honey! Makes a great souvenir for the folks back home. Bring gallon zip lock bags from home to pack the honey in your suitcase. The honey is also served at your table in the bamboo restaurant for breakfast. (possibly other meals too).

The petting zoo is very nice. We saw baby goats that were one week old. The man that worked there climbed into the pen and brought us a baby goat to hold. So very precious!

There was only one thing I could possibly "complain" about. For meals (other than breakfast) you had to pay for your water at the restaurants. For a family of four, we drank a lot of water. To the tune of a $40.00 water bill for dinner.
Water bottles in your villa are complementary. We asked our housekeeper to keep at least 12 bottles of water in our villa each day which they were very good about doing for us.

The beach staff will also bring you a bucket of ice filled with bottled water at the beach, at no cost.

Great opportunity to practice your spanish at this resort. We even told some of the staff to please speak to us in spanish only, because we were needing practice. They were always so very nice.

The Punta Cana hotel on the property has a little store, selling t-shirts, sun lotion, etc....
The sun lotion that we brought from home (we brought about 12 bottles for a family of 4) (one week vacation) was available at this store for $35.00 a bottle. Yikes. Be sure to bring plenty from home!!

Franco's is a pizza restaurant on the resort. Near the Punta Cana Hotel. Certainly recommend.

I don't feel the need to elaborate on the VIP service at the airport. Others have said plenty on the subject. It is a delight.

If you are heading to this resort, you are in for a great vacation.
Very, very quiet.
Very secluded.

Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank GraceAlone
, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Grace,

On behalf of Team Members & Vincenzo Calcerano, General Manager of Tortuga Bay Punta Cana Resort & Club, thank you for taking the time to complete our guest comment form on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a “Leading” Experience.

vcalcerano@puntacana.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

From the moment you get off the airplane you will live a dream, the VIP life! I have to mention the incredible service from that moment til you board your plane back home. There is nothing that you can ask for that is not done for you. The golf car you have for your own use during your stay makes a big difference. Restaurants are very informal and good, not a WOW WOW. Very good breakfasts. Rooms are lovely, comfortable and very clean. Outstanding personnel. We will go back again for sure, especially with that VIP airport service.

Room Tip: Beachfront locations are great,beautiful view
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BLL25
, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear Sir,

On behalf of the Tortuga bay family & myself .

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments about your recent stay at our Tortuga Bay Hotel. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again to our Tortuga Bay hotel, and give you a “Leading” Experience.

General l Manager
Tortuga Bay Puntacana resort & Club
Tel (8090 959-8229 ext 7220
Cel.(829) 797-1121
nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

After many years of waiting to get to Tortuga Bay We got there from the moment we got of the plane there was some one steps from the gang way with a sign with our names on it! It seems thousands of people were walking on the Tarmac looking for the immigration office to get into the airport but not us Lourdes guide took us in a back door to a private immigration office and just the two of us were wisked through I would say the whole thing took 5 minutes!
From then on we were on TBay time ...Perfect with a choice between bike or golf cart we drove the compound saw the Eco tour the restaurants the golf courses. No cabs the drivers from the property took us everywhere! We had a cell phone programed to the concierge,they could be found 24 hours aday,. When I got to the beach my handsome towel boy had a cold coconut ready for me to drink and a bucket of ice and bottled water. I really can't begin to go into all of the things we loved but it was great:))))))

Room Tip: All are good!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
19 Thank traveltothemax
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
Dear Sir,

On behalf of team members & myself , thank you for taking the time to complete our guest comment form on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a “ for one – of a kind Leading Experience’’.

Vincenzo Calcerano
General Manager Hotel TORTUGA BAY.
Tel (8090 959-8229 ext 7220
Cel.(829) 797-1121
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

It was beautiful the 2 bedroom villas are the best especially if you are on the beach. It is right in your backyard. The Villa was beautiful, the food ok not great. The service was good at Tortuga Bay but when you left and went to the sister properties not so much. There is some what of a language curve also - some speak English great and others not so much. I will definitely book at this resort again. My family had a great time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Dakota S
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Dakota,

On behalf of our team members & myself , thank you for taking the time to write to me and comment on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay.

I am delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to us when you next visit at Tortuga Bay. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests. I will share your comments with my team members!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a “a one – of a kind Leading Experience’’.

Greenville, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

My wife and I just returned last week from a five-day weekend spent at Tortuga Bay. I had done a great deal of research to find the best location for a relaxing (kid-free) weekend that minimized travel hassles, offered a quiet setting, good food and great service. Although I was worried that my high expectations might not be met, I am pleased to say that Tortuga Bay was the perfect fit!

The Airport: Every review mentions it, and it's certainly worth mentioning. The VIP airport service is unbelievable. My wife and I arrived on a full 757 from Charlotte, and EVERYONE - even first class passengers - that got off the plane was herded into those large buses one sees on airport tarmacs. Everyone except for my wife and I, that is. As we descended the steps, we saw the golf cart with a driver and greeter holding a sign with our names. Other passengers from the plane were obviously envious. The best part, though, was skipping by immigration. The golf cart dropped us at the line (probably 150 people), which we promptly skipped. It was amazing. Likewise, when we departed, we skipped the check in line and went through the flight attendant security to avoid the lines. I have no idea how Tortuga Bay arranges this, but it is probably one of the single best hotel amenities I have ever encountered.

Check In: The quick drive from the airport takes you into the gates of Tortuga Bay. You ride through a small neighborhood of nice looking homes on the golf course and pull up to a small reception building. Our villa manager, Giovanna, was on hand to greet us, as was the hotel manager Vincenzo. Upon arrival, you are immediately driven to your room by your manager in the golf cart, and check in actually takes place in your room. This was a nice touch. The whole process takes just a few minutes. You are given a cell phone to stay in contact with your villa manager, and the golf cart is yours for the duration of your stay. I would say the whole process from landing on the plane to being alone and checked into our room was probably 50 minutes tops, which is about as good as you're going to find. I was pleased.

The Room: We had a second floor, one bedroom, with jacuzzi (Villa 612). Ours was sort of slanted facing both the ocean and the golf course, so I was pleased with the location. The room is huge, and there is a very large bathroom with both the jacuzzi and a large shower. There is also a small walk-in closet. Our room had two large verandas with lounge chairs and a small table for eating as well. Overall, I was very pleased with the room. One of the few negatives, and it's not that big a deal, is that there is a lot of empty space in the room. There could stand to be one or two more chairs. Our first full day there was pretty rainy, so we spent a good portion of the time in the room reading and watching television, and other than the desk chairs, there is really only one chair in the room, so one of us had to sit on the bed (not a bad thing, mind you- the beds are quite comfortable!). Overall, I was extremely pleased with the room.

The Facility and Grounds: the location is pretty outstanding. The beach is gorgeous, and you are right up on it. White sand and clear water as far as you can see. There is a lot of seaweed, but they have several staff members constantly removing it. I just hopped over it to get in the ocean. Not a big deal. Great lounge chairs and umbrellas, and more than enough. I never saw more than three couples on the beach, and there were probably 30 chairs. The pool area and the Bamboo restaurant and bar are pretty centrally located, so you can easily walk. The layout of the whole place makes everything pretty convenient. My favorite thing about the whole set-up is the solitude. If I were a celebrity looking to escape, this is where I would go. One afternoon, I walked a solid 15 minutes up the beach and did not see one person. I was told that the entire hotel was full while we were there, but it felt practically empty. I loved that. Of course, if you are looking for active nightlife, you'd probably be bored, but that's not what I wanted. In essence, you are at a hotel within a resort, and your golf cart enables you to explore the whole thing while returning to your small oasis. It's really quite wonderful. We'd spend most mornings at the beach, have some lunch and then more beach time or perhaps the afternoon at the pool. Everything is quiet and uncrowded. But again, the small hotel opens up to the larger resort (if you want it to) - staying in a hotel this small and having access to six or seven restaurants, a spa and three golf courses is pretty unique.

The Spa: I normally don't care to visit a spa when I travel, as I find the treatments to be usually inferior to what I'd get at home and ridiculously overpriced. However, our travel agent arranged for complimentary massages, so we did visit the Six Senses Spa. Had I known how good it was going to be, I certainly would have utilized it more! The massage was outstanding, and the facility was great. Also, although we didn't pay for it, I looked at the menu, and the prices were very reasonable. Next time I go, I'll get a much longer treatment!

The Food: Bamboo was our main food outlet during the trip. During our five days, we had a few dinners and most lunches there, as well as the daily breakfast (which is included). All the meals there were pretty outstanding, and it's a great environment. We tried out several other restaurants within the resort as well: La Yola, Playa Blanca and El Grill. Overall, I was very pleased with the food quality, and the selection is pretty good for the islands. Prices are high, of course, but in line with the setting.

The Service: Service is really what sets apart this hotel. Anyone can build a great facility in a beautiful setting, but phenomenal service is what makes a five star/five diamond experience. I cannot say enough about how great the service is here. I have traveled the world a great deal, and the best service I have ever encountered to this point was at several hotels of the Oberoi chain in India, but Tortuga tops even that. It's not only the fact that they anticipate your needs and meet them, but they do it in a friendly, laid-back way. That is pretty unusual. Our villa manager, Giovanna, was outstanding, but literally every employee, from the cleaning lady to the men picking up the leaves on the grounds in the morning, was very friendly and helpful. The wait staff in Bamboo and on the beach, as well as the bartenders, are absolutely wonderful. The staff to guest ratio must be pretty high, because I felt like I had help whenever I needed (the cell phone is a great touch), but at the same time, they are great at leaving you alone when you want quiet. It really was perfect.

I have stayed at many grand and wonderful hotels around the world, and I have enjoyed them for my time there. But there are not many hotels that make me truly think, "I want to come back to this place." Tortuga Bay surely did that. I would love to return and hope that I can one day.

Room Tip: It seems that a first floor room would be more desirable as they open directly onto the beach - but...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
34 Thank SCTravelGuy
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 2 June 2012

Tel. (809) 959-8229
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

Let me start by saying that my husband and I have been fortunate to travel a great deal and to stay in some lovely and upscale properties so that is the perspective of this review. Tortuga Bay is quite close to being perfect in many, many respects. We were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary, and it was a great choice.

One real stand-out feature is the “whisking service” where you are met upon arrival and literally walked through customs quickly with absolutely NO waiting. The same is true as you depart; you are walked through customs and security in just seconds, and taken to a private lounge to await your flight. You are then walked to the front of the queue for boarding. This feature alone was worth so much in terms of time and frustrating waits that are often the case at airports.

The property itself is magnificent, beautifully landscaped, lush and inviting. The beach is also beautiful, and private to Tortuga Bay, and goes for a very long way—you don’t feel confined by a small area. The sand is very soft. There is some seaweed in the water, but not so much that you can’t go in and swim. They offer the usual beach amenities such as kayaks, which are very fun. The staff provides you with a small flag that you put up to signal that you need something such as food or beverages—a nice touch, rather than having them cruising up and down the beach to check on you.

This brings me to the service, which is outstanding. Upon arrival, you are given a cell phone, and have only to push one number to reach your villa manager for any request that you may have. The staff arrives almost instantly to take care of your needs. In addition, the wait staff and bartenders are so accommodating and friendly, always happy to see you and be of service.

In particular, Daniel, Francisco, Caesar, and Ismael were especially warm and gracious.
The rooms are well appointed, the linens are Frette, the beds ever so slightly firm--but I must point out, we have a very soft pillow top at home, and the beds are nowhere near as firm as you will find in much of Europe or Asia. We had a one-bedroom, which is very large and had two full bathrooms, one with a tub, one with a shower. Our room had a sort of Juliette balcony facing the ocean, not one you could spend time on—though it did offer two large balconies, one on each side. One had lounge chairs and a Jacuzzi, the other, a dining table and chairs. The only drawback I could find was that the balconies had stucco walls, so that when seated, you had no view of the ocean. If you love privacy or wish to sunbathe nude, this is ideal. If not, other units had full front balconies with railings, allowing for an ocean view. Be sure to specify when booking. Each unit comes with a golf cart for getting around.

And speaking of golf—the courses are amazing! The views and ocean holes are simply stunning. We played the Tortuga and Hacienda courses, they were challenging without being too formidable. The Corales course was a bit more of a challenge, but our caddie, Nelson, made the experience great fun. The ocean holes with crashing waves surrounding them are breathtaking.

There were several restaurants to choose from, and we found the fare to be standard for the Caribbean. This is not to say that the food wasn’t good. The menu featured a usual assortment of entrees, but not a huge variety. We find this to be somewhat typical to the Caribbean, the islands are, after all, a ways from major distribution centers, but we would not describe the menu as outstanding. With respect, I would suggest a greater variety of appetizers for snacking on with drinks, and perhaps some standout, signature dishes.

I don’t want to end this review on an even slightly negative note, as overall our stay was fantastic, and we definitely plan to return. We have stayed at some of the ‘best’ properties on Grand Cayman, Great Exuma in the Bahamas, Nevis, Jamaica, Belize and the Turks and Caicos, and Tortuga Bay out-does them all!

Room Tip: Ask what type of balcony and view you will have.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
19 Thank mbenveniste
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Mr.Benveniste,

Dear Mrs. Benveniste,

Tel. (809) 959-8229 Ext. 7220
Cel. (829) 797-1121
Absecon, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

This resort and it's people have an uncanny way of making you feel so special. Beyond the beauty, exclusivity, quality rooms, personal golf cart, shuttle van to take you anywhere/whenever, golf unimaginable, etc., it was the people that completed the circle. We got to speak one on one with one of the owners, the general manager, and many grateful and appreciative staff members. These employees work so hard and are so very grateful for your patronage, it really grows on you. The VIP treatment at the airport upon arrival and at departure cannot be explained in words. No lines, fancy lounge, ride to the plan (first ones to board), etc. This trip will stay with us for a long time with hopes of returning some day. Thank to all of those wonderful people at Tortuga (Haydee, Vincenzo, Victor, William, Cesar, Edwin, Wilken, Mark, and each and everyone that gave us a smile and made us feel special).
Mike & Alison Trazzera