“Wonderful Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Just got back from a wonderful stay at Tortuga Bay and we will be back. From the moment you are greeted at the steps of your airplane and whisked through the airport, ten minutes later in your hotel, to the delightful rides on the golf cart or bikes throughout the verdant grounds of the beautiful resort, to the sensational spa treatment and the wonderful family of villa managers and employees who make everyone feel so special, you will see that this is an extraordinary place. It is quiet and relaxing. There are two pools to choose from and several different beaches. The Club pool and beach are gorgeous. The service throughout the resort is wonderful.... The resort is very well maintained. Rooms are very tastefully decorated but could use an extra club chair or small couch in the junior suites. The beach is beautiful sand but does have a constant flow of seaweed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank aka627
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Aka,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on TripAdvisor ! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again at Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club , and give you a “ one- of a- kind’’ Leading Experience .

Tel. (809) 959-8229

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
boston
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Just back to 23F Boston from 86F in PC

The recent nasty review on villa managers was written by someone whose wife had taken the bathrobe and put it in her bag to go home even though there is a small card saying you can buy a new one. He should speak to his wife about this and not the VM who has served my wife and I for 4 of our 8 trip to TBH since it opened 7 years ago and she is a superb and was a top student of my friend at the Catholic University here!

Just to give some new info from this past week:

an amazing 38% of the guests are returnees, aka TBH loyalists

the new Westin will somehow open on 12/19/13 and will proved TBH guests 2 more places to eat and a another bar to visit.. this hotel is adjacent to Playa Blanca and can re driven to in your golf cart although it is at the other end of the resort

best time to go to Playa Blanca itself is Sunday afternoon when the local Dominican executives and families come to use the beach

Try the Saturday evening Dominican food/music night at Bamboo. It is very authentic per my own opinion as I have been coming to the DR for 30 years since serving in the Peace Corps here.

A nice place for lunch is the small restaurant at Corales golf course. My wife and I went to eat and watch the roaring surf hit the coastline. Gorgeous..you can see Oscar de la Renta's area from here.

If you go to the Bistro in the PC village for dinner, stop over at Punta Cava for a drink or tapa
Monday is domino night and the hotel owner's son will be there playing seriously!

Wear a bathing suit to the ecological reserve and swim at the 3rd laguna which has cool fresh water. Go to the 3rd laguna used by Segway tours called Guama' as it is the best and safest.

Cap Cana has the beach Juanillo which is the resort next door. Rated one of 10 best bar/beaches in Carribean. Busiest on a Sunday but we went there for lunch on a weekday and it was quiet on the beach but full at the restaurant

If you are real adventurous, hire a driver to take you to the baseball game in La Romana. This will show you the real Domincan Republic. The new toll road takes about an hour to get there

Antonio at breakfast can make you the fruit drink famous on Anthony Bourdain's show from the DR: Morir Sonyondo...try it

Hope you can go to this special place and enjoy top service from the super village managers led by Vanessa and Mariela. The Cibao VMs are the best!

Room Tip: second floor ocean front
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ddoran
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Doran ,

On behalf of our team members & myself , thank you for taking the time to write to me and comment on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay.

I will share your comments with my team members!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a “a one – of a kind Leading Experience’’.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Recently spent 3 nights at Tortuga Bay! The small hotel is the ultimate in relaxation! It is a beautiful property made up of small houses. We stayed in a lower level 2 bedroom unit that was wonderfully appointed. More than enough room for 2 couples. Units have small kitchens that are really not good for much because expect coffee because they don't supply any utensils. The beach is very very quite with lounge chairs and umbrellas and more towels than you could ever use AND the softest sand. Helpful beach boys are there to take care of your every need from drink to food to ice cold water. What really makes this property special is the staff. They couldn't be nicer with service above and beyond! We did have a few strange problems occur while we were there - burning hot water in shower, security taking a "rest" on our lounge chair one night (not a good thing to be woken up at 3am by squawking on a radio, peeking outside seeing a man on a lounge chair outside! This truly was extremely frightening as you can only imagine. The hotel next door which is a large property, Punta Cana, is just about totally deserted. We did not feel comfortable walking any place near there at night..............Management did quickly addressed these issues - might have been nice if they had offered a little something-compensation?). Food was great - we had them come and cook a BBQ for us one night in our unit. Adult beverages were a bit over priced....but thats what you expect at a resort that might be a tad bit pricey itself.

Room Tip: Ask for a unit on the beach.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Norma,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club
vcalcerano@puntacana.Com
1 829 797-1121
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 October 2013

If you want to feel like royalty, go to Tortuga Bay. The amenities and VIP service is unparalleled. The staff were wonderful- they make you feel like their family. The villas are gorgeous and the grounds beautiful. It's pricey, but worth every penny.

14 Thank Susan R
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Mrs. Susan,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 October 2013

When you are paying 4100 dollars for a 4 days vacation, you expect a " four-seasons hotels" service all the way.
We had a wonderful time with great service until check-out.
Our " villa manager" berated and scolded my wife and me in public, loudly and in front of other guests about a missing robe from our villa.
It made for a pitiful terrible ending for what would have been otherwise a stellar stay.
To add injury to insult, I was charged on my visa several days later and without my knowledge an extra $ 150, for that miserable robe.It must have been made with or from gold.
I called the hotel but they would not cancel the charges, nor would they have the manager call me back.
I had to dispute the charges with my Visa Bank.
DON'T GO TO THAT RESORT!

Room Tip: Avoid the place
68 Thank JOSEPH S
Dear Mr./ Mrs. Joseph,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your stay in Tortuga Bay. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest's total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced throughout your check out . At the same time you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in Tortuga Bay and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again to Tortuga Bay, and give you a "Leading" Experience.

Abraham Lincoln 960, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Tel. (809) 959-8229 Ext. 7220
Cel. (829) 797-1121
Fax (809) 959-8230
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at Tortuga Bay in the Punta Cana Resort in early October. We were absolutely stunned at the level of service and dedication of the staff to cater to our every need beginning with the arrival at the airport. We were met on the tarmac with a private driver while everyone else loaded into buses. We were escorted to immigration where staff took our passports and had them processed and within 5 minutes we were finished and taken to the resort. We had a lovely tour of the property in a golf cart by our villa manager. We were given a cell phone so we could contact our villa manager at any time if we needed anything. The villa was very clean and the beds and pillows were very comfortable. We played golf at La Cana which was amazing. Coralles had a tournament going on so we declined to play that course but both are extraordinary. Teeing up on the ocean's edge was amazing. The food and bar service was top notch. The option of dinner on the beach was ours but an evening rain shower kept us in a beautiful setting (and dry!). We also spent one afternoon at the Six Senses Spa. The staff is excellent and we highly recommend taking time to get the best massage you will ever have. The property hosts Punta Cana Ecological Reserve with very nice trails through the "jungle" leading to fresh water lagoons and a tropical fruit forest. We recommend taking a private tour that really brings into perspective regional goals for preservation and the accomplishments made. The beach is perfect white sand with loungers and umbrellas. You will not sit down before you are greeted by staff to assist with towels and beverages and anything else you need. It was sad to go but our arrival at the airport was the icing on the cake. The immigration line musts have held 200 people. Terminal 1 is basically open air so it was a bit warm. Again, our manager took our passports and presto, we only had to run our luggage through the scanner and we were done. We were escorted to a very nice air conditioned VIP lounge with beverages, cheese, meats, etc. What an experience. This is truly 5 star in every way and the most romantic resort ever. This is a place to put on your bucket list. We cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a villa ocean front. The sound of the waves is a must.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Mrs. Pat,

On behalf of our team members & myself , thank you for taking the time to write to me and comment on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay on Tripadvisor It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to us when you next visit at Tortuga Bay. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests. I will share your comments with my team members!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a "a one - of a kind Leading Experience''.

Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club
Englewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Upon arrival, you are greeted with an amazing concierge, who gives you a tour on a golf cart (the grounds are quite big). The beach is stunning, as well as the architecture. The concierge service is called upon with the cell phone they hand you at check-in, and they meet all of your needs. The food could be a little better. Feels very secluded.

Room Tip: The Villa's are amazing.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank 532adamr
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Mr. Adam,