“Truly Extraordinary”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Truly Extraordinary”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

A very sophisticated and elegant environment, with meticulous attention to detail. The quality of construction and choice of materials could not be improved upon, with an abundant use of local stone. All villas are two stories, set in their own individual landscape making the approach to each very special with the feeling of privacy. Our Junior Suite comprised a 450 square foot room, 15 feet by 30 feet, plus two large bathrooms, a kitchenette, sizable closet space, and a 350 square foot terrace overlooking the sea. The grounds and landscaping are magnificent with incredible attention to quality plantings, an impressive variety of species, manicured and maintained daily with a large staff - nothing out of place. And orchids peeking out from everywhere! The path network meanders through lush and healthy vegetation, paved in local stone with a white gravel border between it and meticulous lawns. The setting could not be improved upon.

You are assigned your own Club Car golf cart giving one the opportunity to travel the extensive grounds, golf courses and Club House at leisure.

The entire staff takes great pride in their work and in their environment, and this pride is translated to each guest where you are treated as though you are the only guest in the resort, and given personal attention. Amazing would be an understatement. Underlying all this is a warm smile at every encounter, and a personal greeting. It crosses all discipline, from Villa Manager to dining staff, to housekeeping, and to gardeners.

I should note that the attention begins the moment you step off the airplane, greeted at the foot of the airplane stairs by a Tortuga Bay staff member who escorts you to a waiting vehicle to take you to the terminal, handling your passport control requirements and whisking you through a segregated VIP area and out to a waiting car. A process that takes minutes. The best service we have had in our Caribbean travels over 30 years.

Dining setup allowed for private conversation without crowding, and with Frette table linens to add to the quality. With regard to food, breakfast was always abundant and satisfying, as was lunch. However, we feel that the dinner menu is inappropriate for the setting - too heavy and too complicated. During our 9 day stay, and after two dinners, we gravitated to La Yola for all our dinners. The food there is extremely well prepared with a great deal of variety and attention to presentation. The maitre d' and staff are outstanding, and once again one is given personal attention at every meal.

Conclusion: we shall return ! How could we not.

Room Tip: Our suite was oriented to the south west, affording us early morning sunrise and late afternoon sun...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EnFin2014
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Enfin,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Vcalcerano@puntacana.Com
1 829 797-1121

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Vermont, USA
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just returned with my wife from a 7 days stay. An incredible experience. Loved our Villa (upstairs) which was roomy, beautiful and a fantastic view of the caribbean. The weather was perfect, not too humid, not too dry. The resort was near capacity and we often said "where is everybody", in a good way. Tons of beach chairs and spots to choose from. Always tables to choose from at the restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, Bamboo, right near the villas is great! The food is excellent and the staff is superb. Don't miss Dominican food night where the showcase local food. Cesar was a particularly wonderful person to deal with at the restaurant and gave us some great insight into the island. We swam, took long walks, ate at some other restaurants, read and toured their tropical fresh water area. We have been to more than a dozen islands and we feel this may have been the best service we have received. The airport transfer makes you feel like a rock star. Thank you to all the great staff at Tortuga Bay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joeandfamily
Dear Joean & Family,

Vcalcerano@puntacana.Com
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We do not usually write reviews.
My wife and I had a great escape to Tortuga Bay last week
When we were asked to write a review of our experience we agreed to do so without any reservation.
Our experience was outstanding. The treatment we received was equal to the other reviews.
My wife and I have been fortunate to travel to many great destinations including trips to the Four Seasons and the Ritz-Carlton.
The accommodations, service, and location were outstanding.
We plan on returning as soon as we can.

3 Thank meyer1020
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Meyer ,

On behalf of our team members & myself , thank you for taking the time to write to me and comment on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a “a one – of a kind Leading Experience’’.

Yours sincerely,

General Manager Hotel TORTUGA BAY
Tortuga Bay, Puntacana Resort & Club
vcalcerano@puntacana.com
Tel. (809) 959-8229
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We spent a wonderful, sunny and relaxing week at Tortuga Bay this past week. It is as fabulous as the reviews say. Your introduction to Punta Cana begins with the rock star "VIP" treatment as soon as you step off the plane. A smiling greeter whisks you away from the crowds and through customs with no wait. Then grabs your bags and has you in a clean cab with a beer in your hand for the 10 minute ride to Tortuga Bay. There you meet your personal "Villa Manager." For us, it was primarily the amazingly gracious Ms. Belkys who makes everything stress free for you from reservations to shoe shines and anything else you may need. As you check in you get a small phone with speed dialing button to reach your "Villa Manager" 24/7 and a golf cart to use during your stay. Our beachfront junior suite was magnificent including a modern bathroom bigger than a typical hotel room with excellent shower and jacuzzi bathtub. The beach is 20 yards from your deck which wraps around the whole suite. It's a beautiful beach with nice chairs, and even though the resort was 90% full, rarely were there more than a handful of people visible. Bamboo, the resort restaurant, is where a fabulous breakfast awaits you every morning. We also wound up eating most of our other meals here because the food was so delicious and beautifully served (and it was so easy). The bar is also here and Mr. Beddy, who is the master mixologist and Rum ambassador in the evenings will become your best friend. Be sure to try his impressive collection of aged, dark rums which were a revelation. The Spa is very nice and quite tranquil with a myriad of choices. My "Punta Cana" massage was awesome. But the most winning amenity at Tortuga Bay is the charming, kind people who work there. All the servers, the front desk crew, and even the cleaning people always have a bright, smiling and sincere "Hola" for you all the time. They made this trip very special for us and we miss all of them. Though you will be very sad to leave, the Rock Star "VIP Transfer Service" to and through the very busy airport will put a big smile back on your face once again as get ready to fly back to reality.

Room Tip: The beachfront junior suites are awesome. We preferred the top floor with beautiful views of the bea...
1 Thank Traveling J
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Travelling .J,

I am delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to us when you next visit at Tortuga Bay. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests. I will share your comments with my team members!

Yours sincerely,

General Manager Hotel TORTUGA BAY
Tortuga Bay, Puntacana Resort & Club
Abraham Lincoln 960, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Tel. (809) 959-8229
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Having being to the Dominican Republic many times, I had never taken time out of Santo Domingo to see some of the tourist areas. You are generally besieged by nasty all inclusive resorts but Tortuga bay is only one of two that actually focus on quality. One thing to note is its pretty hard to differentiate this when looking at Punta Cana region online for hotels.

When we arrived the welcome was so warm it was almost over the top. The high level of staff enthusiasm, efficiency and willingness to genuinely help continued throughout our stay.

The Villa's are huge and comfortable and if there is anything to complain about it would be the marble floors throughout could do with a little softening with rugs, and why have a huge kitchen that you cant actually cook in? With each Villa you have a Villa Manager who will look after anything and everything - so dont be shy about calling them.

The hotel is right on the beach within a massive resort so there is plenty of opportunity for swimming and sunning. The main emphasis is golf but there are also watersports, horse riding, and the local ecological reserve.

In terms of meals and restaurants the bamboo restaurant by the pool provides a fabulous inclusive breakfast in the morning with hugely friendly and attentive staff. There are also a few other restaurants within the resort area but I would suggest you avoid this and go in to Punta Cana Village for more selection at a better price. The Grill at the golf club was an awful expensive exercise with disgusting food and New York Silver Service Prices. Even the very attentive staff couldn't save that place. The high end La Yola served pretty good food but the service would not stop pushing us to spend more spend more, have this have that - even after polite declines. The food was OK but the prices were much higher than the restaurants ability to deliver.

Overall - fabulous hotel, great place to stay and the staff make it easy and enjoyable.

PS - thank you for the free wifi. You have addressed my pet hate of hotels still trying to force valued guests to pay for internet!

Room Tip: The rooms are all large and well appointed. Dont waste money going for "beach front" - go...
2 Thank NZ-Stuart
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Stuart ,

On behalf of our team members & myself , thank you for taking the time to write to me and comment on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay on Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a "a one - of a kind Leading Experience''.

Your sincerely

GERENTE GENERAL TORTUGA BAY
809.959.8229 Ext.7220
MOBILE:829.797.1121
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The resort was beautiful and the service was excellent. Especially Rafael and other staff members who drove in front of us and showed the way wherever we wanted to go. They are very pleasant and nicely dressed, always ready to help. Anything we needed or wanted, they were very kind in trying to help us. Thanks to Bianca and all others who made our stay so comfortable.

Due to the fact that we eat Kosher food only, almost everything was brought from home, including paper goods, snacks, baguettes etc. and delicious frozen (double wrapped) ready meals that we warmed up in the microwave provided in the kitchenette right in our suite. We took in the round table from the porch and requested a table clothe and napkins, that was provided right away. The room is so spacious that it looked as if the table was meant to be there.

The golf car and bicycles made it easy and fun to get around! It was truly amazing to drive through the scenic paths and roads in Tortuga Bay. The beach is breathtakingly beautiful and well maintained. The complimentary availability of the kayak boats was a nice addition to our beach experience. We literally felt that we own the beach! Its was so empty and afforded us the privacy we wanted.

The only issue we had was with the Laundry service, the return of our clean laundry took much longer than expected.

Our stay was truly an exceptional relaxed and calm experience. For privacy seekers, this is the right destination for a great getaway. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ocean front is the best and the top floor offers a better view.
1 Thank Abraham I
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Abolis,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on TripAdvisor ! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again at Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club , and give you a “ one- of a- kind’’ Leading Experience .

Your sincerely,

vcalcerano@puntacana.Com
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Although I had read other reviews of Tortuga Bay before I traveled there, I was still stunned to find myself on the beach enjoying a cocktail, all checked in, within 60 minutes of when my plane touched down on the tarmac. The VIP transfer service on both ends of this trip proved, in and of itself, to be a uniquely incredible experience.
Likewise, the resort does not disappoint. We stayed in a beachfront luxury villa that was elegantly appointed, provided a comfortable king bed and surprisingly had two bathrooms, a sun deck, our own outdoor hot tub, and we were given a cell phone from which we could contact our "villa manager" from anywhere on the resort or in town to insure all of our needs were well met. The in-room wifi was as fast and flawless as the morning maid service and evening turn down service.
The food at the resort was very good, and the recommendation we received for a restaurant off the property (Bistro -- not to be missed) was so good we went back again the next night. We played tennis each morning accompanied by enthusiastic 14 year old local boys who serve as ball boys, and fill in as opponents or doubles partners whenever needed. They made it a lot of fun. Within hours of your arrival, it seems each staff person knows your name, and each wants to make your trip as special as it can be. We played golf at Corales, which was an oceanfront course with incredible views, and there was neither a divot nor another golfer to be seen during our entire 18 holes.
You are provided with your own golf cart for your villa, which is a good thing, as I did not realize how extensive the property was until we took an exploratory ride. This may well be the largest beach front property I have ever seen. All of the grounds are very well maintained, and it is very easy to sit on your own private strip of beach, or even spend an afternoon in the pool without seeing another guest. At the same time, you can take your golf cart to the neighboring Westin property if you crave a more social environment.
Finally, the personalities of the staff really do compliment this award-winning resort. We enjoyed perfect service from Victor our villa manager, our drivers Julio, Adriano, and Alejandro, and drank many a rum in the entertaining company of Beddy the bartender, each of whom will be long remembered for their cheer, enthusiasm, and friendly service.
I will be going back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank BeachnbeerMan
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Beachnbeer Man,