“Not Just a pretty face- it's the whole package.”

Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club
Ranked #7 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We have been coming to Tortuga Bay since it opened almost eight years ago and always, we are struck by the perfection of it. This year we really tested the system. I got very sick late on a Sunday night. We asked the villa manager to call a doctor. Within 20 minutes a kind, professional and skilled doctor was in our villa. She took a medical history, did a complete examination, assessed the situation, hooked me up to an iv, adding pain medication, antibiotics and electrolytes until I had stabilized. She left me with five days of medication and detailed instructions on how to administer it. And all of this happened in our villa with me in my bed. She returned the next day to check how I was. I could not have felt in better hands if I had been anywhere in the US. In fact, I think I got better care faster at Tortuga Bay than I would have in New York. Within two days I was good as new. Meanwhile, recovering on the beach was a lot better than being in NY, too. Tortuga Bay isn't just a pretty face. It's the whole package.

3  Thank decarts
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Decarts,

On behalf of our team members & myself , thank you for taking the time to write to me and comment on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay.

I will share your comments with my team members!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a “a one – of a kind Leading Experience’’.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 26 March 2014

It's as good as having your own place in the DR with a private beach, very attentive staff and great amenities. We went there during peak season but it never seemed crowded. It's a family friendly place. Furnishings are tasteful and elegant. Our kids enjoyed the golf carts, bikes, fresh water ponds at the natural reserve and horseback riding. The duty manager made all our restaurant reservations, helped us plan our stay and addressed special needs like arranging a private bbq at the villa. Housekeeping staff was exceptional, we enjoyed special goodies that they left every night at turndown.
Oscar De La Renta botique had some interesting resort exclusive merchandise...worth a visit.

Room Tip: There are only 13 villas, all seem just as good.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank veronica L
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Veronica ,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on Tripadvisor ! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again at Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club , and give you a “ one- of a- kind’’ Leading Experience .

Your sincerely,

vcalcerano@puntacana.Com

Reviewed 26 March 2014

From the moment we departed TBH I've been dreaming and scheming about when we'll get back. The people/service are over-the-top fantastic. We were especially impressed by Ezequiel, Roselin, Francisco, Comacho, Maria and others!

The property and location are nearly unbeatable. It truly is a slice of heaven.

Pros also including the amazing VIP airport service. It was an incredible luxury on our way out - on a day the airport was JAMMED with hundreds of hot, tired travelers. Skipping the lines and waiting in a comfortable lounge with a/c, food and drink was the perfect way to soothe our sadness over having to leave ; )

Service is perfection, and I can still picture the gorgeous beach. Our one bedroom was enormous - giant bathroom - nearly full kitchen (minus only a microwave or stove) - two full balconies looking right at the beach. Housekeeping was excellent. We always had plenty of bottled water and fresh towels. The first couple of days we were there - the water pressure in the shower simply disappeared. (literally, standing there soaped up and water just stopped) It was excellent the remainder of our time. The village managers helped us set up dinner and transportation seamlessly each night.

I wish I could give a 4.5 rating instead of a 4 - because the flaws are truly so, so minor. The gym is tiny and about half the equipment wasn't fully functioning. There is a very small selection of free weights. Would love to see minor update/expansion if possible.

Food was good, not great. Dominican night was very festive - definitely worth your while.

Make no mistake - this place is very family friendly. It's a big plus if you're traveling with children, but something to consider if you're aiming for a romantic getaway. The pool was almost always full of spirit swimming contests and splashing. The beach - which has plenty of chairs and space (LOVED it - and set up service was spot on) does include plenty of young visitors. The gentlemen serving the beach were hustling nonstop - yummy drinks and snacks. However, with just one or two on duty at a time - it was nearly impossible for them to keep up. Major kudos for their efforts.

Also - the spa is a somewhat different entity. While I had a WONDERFUL deep tissue massage, the ambiance left something to be desired. We arrived 30 minutes early for our massages, and were still waiting 45 minutes later. There was lots of loud talking (men's voices) and what seemed to be a major repair of some kind underway - clanking on metal, beeping sounds, some type of alarm going off? It was anything but relaxing. There also doesn't appear to be any real locker room area. That said - the staff was very nice and the therapists were excellent.

Room service was prompt and tasty. We enjoyed dining at La Yola and Playa Blanca and at the Bistro in the Village. I'll try to write full reviews of those as well.

The golf cart was lots of fun - and we noted many others enjoying the bikes too.

Overall - it was heartbreaking to leave. TBH is stunningly beautiful, staff is amazing and we can't wait to return.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there's a bad room in the entire place, but we really loved staying beach fr...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lu93

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Lu ,

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My wife, our four children, godmother of one of our children and our godson all went back to Tortuga Bay for the second year in a row and I don't remember ever going somewhere twice where on the second time I loved it even more. We had a four bedroom villa on the beach and participated in everything from water sports, fishing, bike riding, golf and many other activities during our one week stay. The staff was unbelievable and catered to our every whim. The setting was perfect, the food was great, and everyone had a memorable time. We even met guests there from the previous year and enjoyed our vacation with them as well. The accommodations were top notch and kept perfectly clean every day. As a result, we plan on going back for the third year in a row next year!

Room Tip: Bottom units are more accessible to beach because you can just walk out of your unit to the yard and...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Earl C

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Earl ,

Your sincerely,

Vcalcerano@puntacana.Com

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We just returned from five nights at Tortuga Bay. The greeting at the airport was amazing. Our beachfront room for our family of five was perfect and we loved the proximity to the pool. Beach was beautiful and pool a perfect escape from the sun. The hotel could improve the food at all restaurants. Food was ok and when paying top dollar for the room we expected better quality food. La Yola service was so slow - our food came out 45 minutes after the children's food. We did not try Playa Blanca because other guest said it was so bad. Hire a good chef!!!

One other area they could improve - we went on two excursions and the return ride home provided by the hotel was late (45 minutes late on the first excursion) and 30 minutes late on the second excursion. Not only did the driver arrive late when picking us up from the dolphin explorer trip, he also got lost taking us home.

Service was amazing - especially Maria, Beddy, Francisco, Yon, Roselin and Rafael.

1  Thank N0rthCar0lina
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Mr / Mrs.North Carolina,

Ref: Your comments 25/03/2014.

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel on Tripadvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest.

We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you have experienced.

At the same time you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems and prevent any future occurrences.

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future and give you a "Leading Experience".

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We just came back from a one week Spring Break trip to Tortuga Bay. It was our first trip in years and the kids' (ages 13, 11, and 8) first trip ever out of the US. We didn't quite know what to expect. What we found was a fantastic all-around experience for our entire family. The hotel is gorgeous. The beach is clean, soft sand but walkable, with plenty of chairs, umbrellas, towels, and wait staff attending to anything you need. The kids can wander the grounds without worry, swim in the pool, play on the beach, take out kayaks, or rent time on boats nearby to water ski, wakeboard, tube, etc.

The dining options are plentiful and everything we ate was really good. Bamboo restaurant right on the property is excellent. Food options that are kid friendly are not hard to find at just about all restaurants in Punta Cana and many are accessible in your golf cart (you get one with your room). Breakfast at Tortuga Bay is delicious, easy, and if you eat a lot, suffices to get you all the way to dinner pretty easily.

There's great fun to be had on the island away from the hotel, like swimming with dolphins and zip lining. Some of these trips take a half day, and that starts at 10 or 11, so you get back well into the afternoon. If you are active or have kids, no problem. In our case, I took the kids to do some things while my wife had some time on the beach and at the spa, which was wonderful according to her. If you like to lounge and read on the beach all day, you might want to think twice about the excursions far away from the property.

This review would be incomplete without mentioning the staff at Tortuga Bay. They made our trip truly special. Everyone was so friendly and helpful, especially towards the kids. From Rafael in reception, to Cesar, Emanuel, Juan, and Beddy at Bamboo, to Monica who cleaned up the room (our kids are a mess, you're a saint!), to the villa managers Maria, Yanil, and Bianca who helped arrange our plans and reservations for each day and night, they made us feel so welcome and at home. We hated to leave and cannot wait to return, hopefully next year. Well worth every dime. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in an oceanfront suite. Great sleeping. No noise - then again we were probably the loude...
1  Thank Chris B
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Chris B,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

vcalcerano@puntacana.Com

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Tortuga Bay Hotel is the real deal folks. I have been to half a dozen other resorts in the DR and none come close to this paradise. I would put this hotel up there with one of the finest hotels in Turks and Caicos, the Grace Bay Hotel.

Your joyous vacation starts the moment you step foot on terra firma. As you exit the plane onto the tarmac, a smiling host greets you with a sign and a smile to whisk you off in a golf cart to and then magically through customs (no lines, wow, how do you spell relief?).

On arrival at the resort, your villa manager, then the gracious GM, Vincenzo warmly greet and orient you to the property. You get the immediate sense that Vincenzo, who in his former life must have been a painter, is acutely aware of detail. He personally gets involved to ensure that every aspect of your vacation is perfect. This is my first ever TripAdvisor review. It is my way of saying thank you to Vincenzo and his wonderful staff.

We (wife and 16 year old daughter) enjoyed a beachfront junior suite (6183) directly across the path from Bamboo. The view from the room was a knock out. Open the three sets of French doors and you feel like your room is on the beach. Everything in the room was just right. Comfortable King bed plus a roll-away twin for our daughter.

Breakfast at Bamboo each morning was a treat. The staff is incredible. We shared belly laughs with Emanuelle on a daily basis. Great guy, super server. The breakfast selection is excellent. Something for everyone. Eggs and other items to order. Juan 'cooked' up double cappuccinos like a pro. Fresh fruit and juice akimbo. Your day is off to a great start after Bamboo.

We played golf daily. The La Cana courses are delightful. We played Tortuga and Aricife, the two ocean courses. I am a 15 and found both courses sufficiently challenging from the blue tees. The range, fairways and greens are meticulously maintained. The tracks traverse the beautiful residential estates before delivering you to eye-poppingly gorgeous ocean views. 8 and 9 on Aricife take you along the pristine beach front. What's more, you generally have a 10 mph wind at your back to really launch a bomb.

We also played Punta Espada and Corales. Highly recommend both courses. Punta Espada rivals Pebble Beach in its stunning views and topography. The greens are fast and treacherous. Corales is a bit pricey but from a straight golf experience, a treat.

This review is getting too long. Dinner at Bamboo was off the charts. The food, presentation and service were A+++. I had red snapper on a bed of exotic mushrooms and pureed potato. As good as any fish dish in the best eateries in Boston. It was great to eat outdoors at Bamboo. Ambiance was not great. The lights were a little too bright for my nocturnal sensibilities. Overall, a phenomenal meal.

We dined twice a La Yola. Food was not as good as Bamboo. But the ambiance was lovely. The restaurant is on piers over the ocean at the marina. The illuminated water gives off an ethereal glow that makes the food seem unimportant. I found the highlight of the meal the visit to our table by the Dominican troubadours. The main guitar player has been strumming and crooning for 18 years at this spot. He is joined by another guitarist and a young singer who are both exceptional.

Others have written about the VIP treatment on departure. All I can say is that my family had huge smiles on our faces as we departed.

I could go on, but I will end by saying as soon as I finish this review, I am opening my calendar to plan my return to this incredible hotel. Thank you Vincenzo and company for an epic vacation.

1  Thank Mojowork
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Mojowork ,

On behalf of our team members & myself , thank you for taking the time to write to me and comment on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay on Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to us when you next visit at Tortuga Bay. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests. I will share your comments with my team members!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a "a one - of a kind Leading Experience''.

Your sincerely