“Great spot and staff”

GreenLeadersSilver level
massachusetts
“Great spot and staff”
Reviewed 6 March 2009

Great beach and staff. Food was excellent, not the place to go if you are looking for alot of people and nightlife. Golf was alittle slow but they are buiding 2 new courses so that shoudl help.

3 Thank MassachusettsMadden
Puntacana Resor... a, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 2 March 2016
Dear Mr./Mrs. Massachusettsmadden,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at the Tortuga Bay. I was absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. We all look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future.

Cel. (829) 797-1121

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
New York
Reviewed 4 March 2009

My wife and I and two kids (4 and 2 yrs) traveled to the Dominican Republic for the first time last month After reading reviews on Trip Advisor and booking with Leading Hotels of the World, we chose Tortuga Bay. We arrived via American Airlines and were greeted by a VIP agent at the plane's door. She "whisked" us through immigration and customs into an awaiting car and before you know it, after 6 minutes, we were in the living room of our villa. Tortuga Bay is the most beautiful resort we've ever seen. The French Doors from the bedrooms and the living room onto the terrace was magical. The staff and Villa Manager are so accommodating always with smiles and eager to please. The food at Bamboo and La Yola couldn't have been better. I played lots of golf at La Cana while my wife pampered herself at the Spa at Six Senses. Our children had babysitting service and they were always entertained. Six nights went by so quickly and we cannot wait to book again for next year. While we were there, Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones were staying with their family in the next door Villa. Highly recommend Tortuga Bay.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank Travelalot055
Dear Mr./Mrs. Travelalot055,

São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 19 February 2009

Fantastic location. The attention to detail is obvious from the moment you arrive until you depart. The staff is absolutely wonderful.

4 Thank ssoliani
Dear Mr./Mrs. ssoliani,

Wilmington, MA
Reviewed 17 February 2009

I hate to give just 4 stars, but I just can't give 5. I have high expectations and allow room for a slip. We've been to some pretty spectacular places over time. I chose this place primarily because of the great reviews on this site.

Many people have reviewed arrival/departure, which were great. The property was beautiful, and it was pure relaxation. I read all of the TripAdvisor reviews, so my comments are based upon positive and negative surprises that came about versus my expectations.

Positive Surprises:
-The food was tastier than I'd expected. I never left Bamboo although I'd planned to try La Yola for dinner one night. Didn't happen (see below). The Grill was also surprisingly good. And I thought pricing was very reasonable on the menus.

-Umbrellas and lounge chairs were more comfortable than I'd expected.

-The airport lounge on the way home was ridiculously nice - I had a drink, and basically free lunch.

-On Valentines Day, they drew a bath and had rose petals everywhere (too bad the bath was ice cold).

-The spa was great and very reasonably priced. I'm pregnant, and they treated me with appropriate care making adjustments where necessary and I didn't have to monitor them along the way to make sure.

-We did a day-detour to the Lagoons, which were neat. Spent an hour and it was worth it.

-The plantain chips and guac/pico de gallo were to die for. I don't even like guac. And they were complimentary by the pool. Very nice.

Negative Surprises:
-Making a reservation was really hard, which I was prepared for, but it was harder even still. We selected a "romance" package on their website but there were blackout dates not shown online, which created confusion. I asked for brochures in the mail but never got any. I did get a printed confirm, thank goodness, and that's all I had to go on. But they were fine in the end with us buying the 3-day package and adding an extra day. Their reservation line goes straight to a travel agent in NYC.

-We were supposed to be upgraded per the package and based upon availability to an Ocean Front Suite. We had an Ocean View Suite, which is not quite as good since no upgrade was available.

-When we arrived, our Villa Manager had no idea we had this package despite it being on my confirm, and throughout the trip, I felt I had to stay on top of them about what we are supposed to get with the package (Can we please book our spa appointments? Which night will our dinner be...?). Thank goodness I had the printed confirm because I kept having to show it to people. And even still, the fact that we had the package was just never properly absorbed by them and their people/system. For example - we were supposed to have dinner our third night with a specially prepared menu "under the stars." I had to call and ask about it, which was embarrassing, and then once the reservation for dinner was confirmed, no one contacted us with menu info. like we were told would happen. We showed up at the restaurant and no servers knew we were having a "special" dinner and the whole situation was terribly awkward. It actually ruined our dinner. We had to ask 100 questions and speak to the manager, and I even left dinner to call our Villa Manager who didn't really have any answers other than that she "thought it was taken care of." So she busts out "special menus" at the restaurant since she's come to meet us, and then the food/beverage manager calls her away to discuss and they all come back and tell us that we are to just order off the menu and she stands there hiding the "special menus" behind her back. Again - not our fault, but felt really uncomfortable. The next day, Yves, the food/beverage manager apologized for the prior night and asked us back to Bamboo to be "his guests," which ultimately meant we ordered off the menu AGAIN at Bamboo but we paid for neither dinner #3 or #4 (our package said we had this "special" dinner included so one dinner was complimentary to make up for the snafu). I guess that's some consolation and it was the right thing for them to do, but I had desired to go to Bamboo and have our "special dinner" on night #3 and go to La Yola on night #4. Instead, we never made it to La Yola and we never had a "special" romantic dinner. It was just an awkward, regular meal. I don't blame Yves for this - I think he did his best to handle it, but rather I think this was the fault of the Villa Manager(s) who didn't make sure if was all set. And I guess even part my fault since I didn't think it was necessary to breathe down their necks to be sure it was all set and call back when no one called us with menu info. like was supposed to happen. But in the end, I do think that dinner #4 as "special guests" of Yves should have also included a "special" menu at which point all would've been forgiven.

-Because of all of the confusion with the package, it never really was clear that we were leaving on 2/16 and not 2/15. Evidently adding an extra day to the package created a lot of confusion. I even got a bill for our stay slid under our door the 15th with instructions for checking out by noon the next day.

-I thought the service was good, but I would draw the line there. They often couldn't answer questions - I'm pregnant and asked if their cheese was pasteurized. They just nod and say 'yes,' when in fact this is somewhat serious. So I had to have the food/beverage manager come out to answer the question. Simple requests were easy. But I ALWAYS had an empty water glass even though I always had to ask the same people to fill it. And it was irritating that for breakfast they bring you water in a pitcher that is okay to drink. But for dinner, some nights I spent $20 on water for two people because I couldn't seem to get that pitcher to appear. $20 for water???

-The resort was SWARMING with kids aged 1-7. It was February break weekend that we were there, and no one says kids can't come. And there was no terrible behavior. But ours was NOT a kid-free week. Each day at breakfast must have had 15 adults and 15 little kids at all times. Again - no complaints - I don't hold it against the hotel.

-The water is unpredictable in the rooms. One day I had an ice cold shower. At the spa my shower was scalding.

-Internet was ok, but definitely not high-speed.

-Beds are very hard - my husband's back still hurts.

I know I listed more negatives than positives, but just sharing my experience. Overall I enjoyed and thought the value for the money was pretty good. Had I not been expecting out-of-the-stratosphere service and attention to detail based upon the reviews, I'd have had fewer negative surprises.

• Liked — Beautiful, reasonable prices once there, had all the majors (spa, golf, beach, pool, good food...)
  • Disliked — Thought the service wasn't as good as others found it to be (and we did tip plenty outside of what was included)
12 Thank rmacy74
Dear Mrs. rmacy74,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments about your stay at Tortuga Bay. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that you may have experienced at Tortuga Bay. At the same time, you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist at Tortuga Bay and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

Boston
Reviewed 15 February 2009

First time in the DR, and had read a review of Tortuga Bay in Travel & Leisure, were looking for something new and decided to give it a try. We usually stay in a Four Seasons or Ritz, so our service standards are quite high. We were simply blown away by how good the service was at Tortuga Bay. From the moment we stepped onto the tarmac at the Punta Cana airport and met by our VIP host who carted past hundreds of people in line, to the room service delivery person who thought to bring a glass of port with a cheese plate, to the awesome bartenders who sent us champagne on our last day - this place is amazing.

Rooms, design, views were great. Wish there were more non-stop flights here from Boston, but we will absolutely be back.

• Liked — Frette sheets and towels, and the view
  • Disliked — nothing
4 Thank mjvailla
Dear Mr./Mrs. mjvailla,

St Paul, MN
Reviewed 15 February 2009

We just got back last night from a one week stay. As you can see from my user name we are frequent travelers in Mexico. El Tamarindo (our favorite), Las Alamandas, Royal Hideaway, Villa del Sol (now Tides) and Casa Que Canta. We live in Minnesota and have easy flight access to Mexico. We decided to try something different this year. We have fond memories of the Caribbean from years ago in Jamaica and Bermuda so decided to try Punta Cana. I researched Tortuga Bay on various sites especially trip advisor.
THIS RESORT IS FABULOUS!! It is extremely expensive but if you can afford it it will not disappoint.
As others have mentioned the airport greeting and ushering through customs etc. is a bit embarrassing ( I wondered if fellow passengers wondered "Who are those guys"), but you get to the resort about 15 minutes after landing.
Our room was second floor ocean front. We loved sitting on the front balcony watching sunrise with palms swaying in the wind. A green grass strip, white sand beach and aquamarine water as our front yard. In the evening we would sip champagne while we watched the stars come out. It was even exciting to watch the rain and wind on our first 2 evenings.
The room and bath were lovely.
We enjoyed breakfast, both full service and buffet, every morning at Bamboo restaurant.
We spent every day on the property, but each day was a fun adventure. The property is huge. Some days we would just lie around the gorgeous beach and swim in the ocean. Other days we would take the golf cart provided and drive to the Punta Canta Club. There we would find another magnificent beach and pool and grill. Some days we drove in our cart past the Punta Cana resort. There we would hike in the nature preserve and swim in the many lagoons.
We never wanted to leave the property. Just read, swim, relax and walk the long, lovely beach.
Every afternoon at about four we would head to the pool. We swam and enjoyed free appetizers (nuts and banana chips with guacamole and salsa) and drinks (not free).
We always ate dinner on the property. La Yola and the Club restaurant were good, but we loved the Bamboo restaurant. We ate outside by the pool. The trees were lit. It was lovely. We enjoyed the Friday night Dominican Buffet and loved the fresh fish other nights. Ask for anything with it and they will try to accommodate.
This is a quiet tranquil resort.
Finally and most importantly, in all of my years of travel in the US, Europe, Caribbean and Mexico, the staff at Tortuga Bay are the nicest, kindest, most courteous, helpful, friendly people I have ever met. They apologized for rain and clouds, celebrated sun, laughed, smiled, sang, danced and did their very best to speak English. Never hovering but always available. They picked up on our cues.
Will we be back? Absolutely!! I still have other places to try in Mexico and the Caribbean, but we will return and hopefully many times.
If you are reading this staff of Tortuga Bay Thank you for a wonderful time.
Bob and Mary G

• Liked — Beach and Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
9 Thank Mexicomamma
Dear Mrs. Mexicomamma,

Stowe Vermont
Reviewed 4 February 2009

The Villas at Tortuga Bay are even more beautiful than they are in the pictures. This area of the Puntacana resort is very intimate with Palm trees providing a canopy for the walkways and cart paths around the villas. The private Pool/Bar/Restaurant area is perfect and over the course of the stay becomes very homelike as you get to know the bartenders, waiters etc. You are greeted by all by name and everyone is genuinely interested in making your stay special. The villas are incredibly spacious and perfectly appointed in a simple elegance. The bedrooms and common areas open fully to an open air experience and the bathrooms are awesome. I'm picky there! We slept with doors wide open, palm trees rustling, ocean crashing and a 7:00am sunrise to die for. A beautiful breakfast was brought to the room every morning with a paper; there was high speed internet and flat screen TVs in every room. The beach was perfect, the golf great, the tennis pros fun, the spa experience was the best I've had and I'm not a stranger to spas, and there was a good variety of dining in the area. I can't say more; except, get ready to open your pocketbook wide, this is not all inclusive; it's all exclusive; but worth every cent.

• Liked — My expectations were exceeded.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple