“Unbelievable accomodations and service from the time you land to the time you take off.”

Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club
Ranked #1 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
Reviewed 21 May 2009

This was meant as a dream vacation for us and our parents and Tortuga Bay delivered on everything it promised and more. From the incredible VIP arrival and departure treatment to the turndown service awaiting at the doorstep at the time of your dinner reservation. Everything was top-notch and A+++++. We traveled with a 5-year-old child and she was treated so well by the staff that she said to us upon returning home.."I miss Santiago", one of the waiters at the Bamboo restaurant. When medicine was required, it arrived at our doorstep within 30 minutes. We didn't even have to leave our villa! The Villa Managers are at your beck and call 24/7 and the choices and quality of the restaurants is incredible. Check out the brand new Playa Blanca. Such a great location and beautiful surroundings. Not to mention the petting zoo! The guide brought out each and every animal and placed it in my daughter's arms for photographs. She was in heaven!
We ate many breakfasts and lunches on our villa terrace and the room service was equally good as in the restaurant. The amenities in the room were amazing! The beach is gorgeous with white sand and turquoise waters. The only possible negative thing I can say is that there is hard/sharp coral on the ocean bottom, which makes it hard to walk without water booties.
We have been to Caneel Bay, Cap Juluca, Four Seasons Maui Wailea and other high end resorts and this beats all of them. We would go back in a heartbeat! You cannot go wrong with Tortuga Bay.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Puntacana Resor... a, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 3 March 2016
Dear Mr./Mrs. sweedies,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at the Tortuga Bay. I was absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. We all look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future.

Cel. (829) 797-1121

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
United States
Reviewed 1 May 2009

For my first visit of DR, I choose 2 "LHW" resorts to stay at. One is Paradisus Palma Real and the other is Tortuga Bay. And I must say that I love Tortuga Bay as much as I am disappointed with Paradisus (see my other review of Paradisus PR).
From the very first moment you step out of the plane the service provided by TB is of the top class. With the VIP Assistance, it takes me only 20 minutes to get out of the airport (including 15min waiting to get my luggages, but TB can't do anything about this). For comparison, a friend of mine who has visited Punta Cana several times told me that usually it takes an hour and half if you have to line up like every other tourists to go through security and custom. TB is able to provide this unique service because the Group who owns the Resort also owns the Punta Cana International Airport (yes, this is a private airport).
Upon arrival at the lobby house, we are greeted by our Villa Manager who immediately brings us to our suite. The suite is very spacious, well designed (by Oscar de la Renta) and has a somptuous vista over the beach and the ocean (I do recommend to book an ocean front villa). It is a real luxury to have a private beach just 10 steps in front of our villa. Almost nobody, powder sand, cristalline water, very nice weather, sunny but not too hot thanks to a very pleasant wind. If you are looking for calm and serenity at Punta Cana, this is definitely the place where to stay.
The pool is closed to the restaurant Bamboo. It is not very large but nice, considering that TB is rather a boutique hotel than a big resort. Bamboo is the only restaurant inside TB. It serves good foods (not excellent but better than other restaurants in the surrounding and much better than what I ate at Paradisus Palma Real), except for the disappointing Dominican night Buffet every Friday
As already said, the service at TB is up to the standard I expect in such a place (although I regret the absence of beachside service). During our stay, we are provided with a golf cart (which is very convenient and also fun to drive) and also a mobile to call the Villa Manager from anywhere at any time (quite a good idea).
What else to say about TB ? Well, simply one advise: if you ever come to Punta Cana, don't miss the Tortuga Bay.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank lolongan
Dear Mr./Mrs. lolongan,

NH
Reviewed 25 April 2009

My husband I traveled to Tortuga Bay the week of April 11th. It was our first time to the Dominican and after reading all of the fantastic reviews, we knew Tortuga Bay had to be the place.

As others have stated, the VIP airport service is amazing. Prior to experiencing I had wondered if other reviewers were blowing this out of proportion (I mean how good can the airport pickup/ drop-off service be?) But let me tell you... it was amazing, and definitely something every traveler should experience once in their lives- particularly on the return.

Our room (a one bedroom ocean view suite) was gorgeous. It was clean, spacious, and we loved being able to open all of the doors and window and have a view of the ocean right from our bed. There is always a beautiful breeze in Punta Cana, so the fresh air was always welcome.

This is definitely a quiet, secluded place. The beach was serene and well kept, and you never felt over crowded.

I'd say I our only major disappointment was the food. We had expected the meals would be quite pricey based on other reviewers, and believe me, we have no problem spending good money on a good meal. But after 2 bad dinners in a row- each at this price point, it really set the tone for what we would come to expect from other meals.

The first night we dined at Bamboo for the "Dominican themed buffet." We just didn't feel the food was very good, and at $50/ pp, definitely not worthwhile for us. The 2nd night we chose to dine at La Yola. I had read many positive reviews so I had high expectations. The restaurant itself was beautiful, but again the food was a big disappointment. I ordered a pretty basic shrimp trio dish (how can you really screw up shrimp?) Well, the battered coconut shrimp was undercooked (golden brown on the outside, gray on the inside.) When we explained this to our waiter, he didn't offer to get me something else, nor did he remove the charge from the bill. Given the language barrier, we decided not to make a fuss about it- but we were thoroughly disappointed, mainly by the poor service for what had been billed as such an upscale restaurant.

We did have room service one evening and I thought that was very good. I had a pasta dish and salad. We also enjoyed a few meals at the poolside pizza restaurant in the Punta Cana Resort. The pizza wasn't amazing, but it was decent and certainly more affordable.

We did visit the Six Senses spa one day and it was amazing- the most beautiful spa I've ever seen. Very relaxing and well worth the trip. The pool at the spa is also nicer than at Tortuga, the only disappointment there was not have lounge chairs that lay flat for tanning your backside.

All and all if was a very relaxing vacation and we're glad to have experienced it. But for the price, I think we'd opt to try something else next time around. For us access to good food is an essential part of our vacation experience and this was just disappointing all around.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Julez4you
Puntacana Resor... a, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 2 March 2016
Dear Mr./Mrs. Julez4you,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments about your stay at Tortuga Bay. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that you may have experienced at Tortuga Bay. At the same time, you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist at Tortuga Bay and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

It is my hope that you give us another chance to better serve you in the near future

caracas
Reviewed 20 April 2009

Amazing site, service and experience... white sand beach with top of the line service.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Mr./Mrs. tortuga12345,

Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 April 2009

This is one of the best vacations I have ever been on... I went with my mother for 5 days. We got two spa treatments each which were great. The amenities were top of the line.. and the beach is truly beautiful. The vistas from the rooms are magnificent... you feel stress just melt away by being there. The food was good (not excellent) and expensive but we still had a wonderful time and would return in a heartbeat. The best was riding around in our own personal golf cart!

Actually, come to think of it, even better is the social commitment the owners of the property (Julio Iglesias and Oscar de la Renta are two of them) have made to giving back to the local community by building churches and schools... the book about the property in our room had a foreword from Bill Clinton commending their endeavors and stating he hopes other resort complexes follow suit...

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Dear Mr./Mrs. MPT10,

Long Island, NY
Reviewed 12 April 2009

I want to start off by saying that I have stayed in some of the best resorts in the Dominican Republic and specifically punta cana since 1997. This resort is BY FAR the most spectacular. It has been a month since my husband and I went there and we are still talking about it and trying to plan our return to Tortuga!! The service is amazing, we did not know what to expect with the VIP transport service from the airport to the resort, and it was perfect. It takes all the stress away because they do everything for you from the moment you step off the plane, within literally 15 minutes of landing we were at the bar having our first cocktail!! (we had only carry on luggages). The return was equally as worth it!! The VIP waiting room in the airport is so comfortable with internet, bar and snacks...all included, with clean bathrooms if you wanted to change clothing.
The villas are amazing. We had an oceanfront villa which was gorgeous. The terrace alone was worth it!! Our villa manager, Mariela met us upon arrival and checked us in at our villa and gave us all the info we needed. Then she took us on a tour in one of the golf carts and we learned the property. Anything we wanted, we would just ask, and it appeared!!!
The location of this resort is perfect. There is so much private beach area that you don't even have to see anyone else if you choose not too. The punta cana beach it self is one of the prettiest beaches we've seen, so we knew that part was going to be great.
We ordered room service for our breakfast every morning and ate on the terrace, it was wonderful. Then for lunch we ate at Bamboo and the food was very good. The service at all 3 resturants (Bamboo, The Grill and La Yola) were all to perfection! Dinner we ate at Bamboo which was also very good and pricey. But we knew that going into this...we were prepared for the prices. I can't say that the food was to die for because we are from NY and I always tell people if you want spectacular food on a vacation go to Itlay not the carribean!! But it was still the best food that we've had in the DR.
We went horseback riding at sunset and that was fun, they only do it on Thursdays. It was my first time on a horse and the ranchers were very nice.
My husband wanted to go kitesurfing so we found an instructor named David that is located between the main beach and the spa (walkable distance) and he was very nice so if anyone is interested in kitesurfing you can get lessons there too!
The spa was an excellent experience as well, we had 2 treatments each and the prices are comparable to good spas here in the states as well.
We walked thru the ecological park with the fresh water springs. It was very pretty. I'm not too outdoorsy and still liked it, my husband really enjoyed it. We swam in one of the springs and it was an experience. Clean and cool waters.
If you are looking for an extremely relaxing, private resort this is the place to go. Not a place for night life or partying.
Overall, we absolutely LOVED this vacation, better than our honeymoon at Turtle Island, Fiji!! We cannot wait to return!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SKPLongIsland_NY
Dear Mr./Mrs. SKPLongIsland_NY,

Broomall, PA
Reviewed 31 March 2009

The most amazing place I've been to in a very long time - and I travel quite a bit! If you want the "rock-star" treatment, stay at Tortuga Bay. The meet-and-greet service at the airport on arrival and the VIP lounge for departure just add to the elegance at the hotel. You're checked in right in your room and handed the keys to your own golf cart for the duration. The individual villas, all facing the beach (the golf view bldgs are gone) make for an extremely private and romantic vacation . Our one bedroom Oceanview Suite was huge; with 2 full bathrooms, kitchenette and a very large balcony across the front offering a gorgeous view from our ratan-canopied king bed. The service is impeccable. Having your own concierge to fulfill your every wish certainly helps one relax on vacation. The long white beach is very private clean and quiet with no vendors permitted. The golf course is both challenging and beautiful; don't forget your camera for the oceanfront holes. Lots of restaurants to choose from, some better than others, but all with great wait service. The included menu-selection breakfast at the Bamboo Restaurant is better than home-cooked! We could find no negatives about our stay and would return to Tortuga over and over...if our budget would allow. Highly recommended for honeymoons, romantic getaways and family vacations; just don't look for night life!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple