All reviews la yola villa manager bamboo restaurant through customs golf cart six senses vip service ecological reserve bedroom villa punta espada international airport ocean front four seasons vip lounge seaweed problem cap cana the grill
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I was invited for a special event at de la Renta's boutique property of villas. Assigned to Room 611(1), I must say that after being greeted at the airport by a VIP hostess, avoidind all custom's lines, then ushered to a hotel car, arriving at my villa with my villa manager and housekeeper waiting at the door was unbelievable. Four nights of splendid glory...from the unending breakfast buffets to the gorgeous beach just steps from my covered terrace, the attention to detail was beyond anything I could have dreamt. The staff, fluent in multiple languages, we're so thoughtful, so respectful, so silent, the only way I knew they were around was when I blinked and realized my room was suddenly perfect. If you liked being spoiled...Tortuga Bay should top your list. ******

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank JeffWade
Puntacana Resor... a, Soecial Services Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear JeffWade,

Thank you for taking the time to write your valuable review on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay Hotel at Puntacana Resort & Club. We make great effort in making our guests stay one to remember by service excellence. It is such a pleasure to read comments like yours which assure us that we are fulfilling our commitment

We would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future as you already are part of the Tortuga Bay at Puntacana Resort & Club family!

Reviewed 14 August 2018

This was quite simply the best family vacation we have ever been privileged to have. First, the staff takes customer service to a whole new level. Thank you Victor, Roselin, Ceasar, Antonio, Damian, Jose, Beddy, Israel, Josie, Sylvia, Francisco, Carlos, Ramon....oh forgive us if we left anyone off the list. The staff was solicitous, courteous, humorous, unassuming, caring and entertaining. Our oldest daughter was travel sick the first day and at least 3-4 different people checked on us and brought various "healing" drinks. They graciously endured our basic Spanish and taught us more. The staff is multilingual as they host guests from around the world.

We thought breakfast buffet was particularly lovely with well chosen variety. Not on the menu? No problem! If the ingredients were in the kitchen, they special ordered it. My husband had his birthday while on vacation and Victor took special care of us from dinner reservations, to helping me with a delicious surprise cake to a gift of island rum. We were completely taken care of.

The accommodations were unbelievable. The walk-out beach front villa was tastefully decorated in a perfect,airy Caribbean style. We were so happy with our beach front villa that we didn't bother to golf or go to the spa. The beds were wonderfully comfortable (firm, but not too hard and no awkward sags) and rarely do we find a bed we like when we travel. The fully appointed double bathrooms were a luxury for sure. The resort is quiet and peaceful and there is plenty of space that you barely run into other guests. We enjoyed the well-equipped gym and jogging around the property.

We did not find the seaweed to be as big of an issue as others do. We did explore other properties while we were in Punta Cana and the whole area was having to deal with it as best as possible. You could see patches of it on the flight over the Caribbean. We were not disturbed by the early crew or any of the equipment, and we appreciate the care taken to provide a beautiful clean beach. The beach is in a very calm water way and we fully enjoyed swimming and lounging from early morning to moonlit evening. Bring your telescope if you enjoy star gazing, Mars was on terrific display while we were there. It felt like we had the entire beach to ourselves except for the staff who remained available but inobtrusive.

A couple of the staff suggested a visit to Isla Saona and our family had a wonderful excursion. Thank you again, Victor (he is doing a tremendous job managing the resort), for helping us to plan the day and Roselin for the "care travel bag". On our return, we were welcomed "home" with a delicious bubble bath. After seeing more of the island and many other resorts, we were quite thrilled to be at Tortuga Bay Resort.

The VIP airport service was definitely awesome. Our incoming flights were re-routed and delayed and we were so exhausted after a hard week of work, 4:00 am up and 10:00 pm arrival, but VIP had us from our footsteps off the plane to the resort in a flash. Our kids had a blast driving us around in the golf cart and mom and dad...well, we truly relaxed. Our kids are ages 11 and 14 and that can be a tricky age to entertain, but they, too, appreciated the kindness of the staff and the beauty of the resort. We enjoyed visiting the natural lagoons one afternoon, too.

Our only disappointment was that we had to go home and could not stay longer. We hope to be blessed to return...and soon!

Room Tip: Be sure to try a private dinner cookout at your villa or on the beach
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank Trent M
Puntacana Resor... a, Special Services Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback following your recent stay with us at the Tortuga Bay Hotel at Puntacana Resort and Club. We are absolutely delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. We are all totally committed to offering a relaxing and unforgettable experience to our Clients, and it is such joy to know that you felt this. We will be sharing your kind review with our staff. A good hotel is nothing without a great team to back it up so again many thanks for your kind words. The Tortuga Bay team hopes to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, as you are already part of the Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club family. Have a great Summer!

Reviewed 6 August 2018

I agree with all the reviews. The property is gorgeous and meticulously maintained. The room was beautiful and perfectly appointed. I loved that it is a smaller property thus you are not on top of other guests. The service is almost too good, they are always asking if you need something. I loved the spa and had the best facial I have ever had. The products are all organic and really helped my skin. The food is good and there are several choices for restaurants however we did not choose to eat in La Yola. You can have private dinners at your villa. The cake the hotel gave me for my birthday was very light and tasty. They surprised me by leaving it for me with balloons and a banner in my room.
Be aware there is A LOT of seaweed and in spite of the attempts to keep it away it is still present and very odiferous, thus the choice not to eat at La Yola(outside over the water restaurant). Mare is by the beach but did not have the odor.
We did not swim at the hotel except in the pool which was nice but hot. We did like the pool at the spa. My tip is go to the beach at the Westin down the beach as they have a very good barrier to keep out the seaweed and the beach is very nice. You can get food and drinks and charge it to your room at Tortuga bay as they are owned by the same company.
If you are like us and want to explore outside the property it will be very expensive as the transportation is limited and costly.
They do not communicate very well prior to arrival. I had wanted to do yoga but the instructor was away thus only option was private instruction which again was pricey if you want to practice daily. My son tried to set up classes for me and did not get a timely response thus i did not get any classes.
Lastly be aware that the website states cancellation is possible up to 7 days before arrival date but when my confirmation email arrived it stated NO cancellation thus I was stuck even after discovering the seaweed problem several weeks before I was to arrive.
Overall I would recommend this hotel and would return is seaweed not present.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
7  Thank neverstaysahome
Puntacana Resor... a, Special Services Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Dear Neverstaysahome,

We appreciate you taking the time to write your comments on Tortuga Bay Hotel at Puntacana Resort and Club after your recent stay. We are delighted you decided to stay with us on such a special occasion as is your birthday and we are happy to know you enjoyed the surprises our staff prepared for you. We strive to give our guests a personalized service and our staff makes their greatest effort to make sure that our guests visit will be one to remember.

Our resort offers our guests so much to do and so nearby. You can find golf, tennis, a variety of restaurants and beaches, an ecological reserve with 12 lagoons, a petting zoo, horseback riding, water sports, shopping experience, voluntarism, and excursions, all part of Grupo Puntacana and 1 - 7 minutes away. The Tortuga Bay luxury hotel provides each guest their own golf cart to have easy access to all these, as well as a complimentary transportation to the nearby mall and to the airport upon your arrival and departure. All can be scheduled by the appointed villa manager when needed.

We have made every possible effort to accommodate our guests with the seaweed issue affecting all of the Caribbean. We have setup barriers in all our beaches, we have machineries and a big crew constantly picking up to have them removed as soon as possible. This is something we cannot control and varies each day.

Please let us know if you decide to come back so that we can schedule any activities you are interested in beforehand. Thank you again for your comments and we hope you come back to visit us again in the near future!

Reviewed 27 July 2018

Yes, the seaweed problem for 2 people who love the Caribbean waters was a huge disappointment but the rest of the resort was so beautiful and the service was the best we have ever had that it still made our stay really terrific. From the airport escort, wonderful bartender, room cleanings, to the folks waiting on you at each meal the service was sublime. We have stayed all over the world and on numerous private islands and as soon as the seaweed clears up, we cannot wait to go back to Tortuga Bay.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rene89
Puntacana Resor... a, Gerente de Servicios Especiales at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2018

Dear rene89,

On behalf of all the staff, we would like to thank you for your very nice words!

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and that you rate highly our service due to the kindness of our staff!
We are totally committed to offering our guests a relaxing and unforgettable experience and it is of great satisfaction when we see comments like yours.

We do hope this is the first of many visits, as you are already part of the Tortuga Bay Puntacana Resort & Club family!

Reviewed 14 July 2018

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights at the Tortuga Bay in Punta Cana. There were a few issues, but overall, it is a lovely property. The good first: The property is in perfect condition. The buildings are well maintained, the grounds are immaculate, and the service, on average, is very good. We stayed in a second level room at the end of the property which had 2 bathrooms - mind:blown :) A nice touch for his and hers. There was a very large patio off of the room which we did not use because it was too hot and it was uncovered.
We had several meals on property, lunches mainly which were all excellent. This is one of the reasons we actually love the DR, the food is consistently good everywhere we've been on the island, with few exceptions. We had dinner twice, once was good the other not. The fitness room was adequate and virtually unused. I took a yoga class one day, and it was a very good class, I recommend it, you always learn something new from a different instructor.
So the bad: for some reason, our travel info didn't make it so we were not greeted at the airport. Not really a huge deal because immigration is quick, but it was a disappointment. The hotel was there to collect us by the time we were out with just a short wait on our part. The bad meal: I had the tasting menu one night. My husband ordered a steak and an appetizer. It took almost 3 hours for all of my courses to be served with some major wait time in between courses. It was very uncomfortable to sit and wait, eat a little bit, while he had nothing. Dining fail.
We ate at several local restaurants in the area, they were all very good (see other reviews for names). Our biggest peeve of the trip, however, was out of everyone's control. There is a major seaweed/grass problem here. No one seems to know why the seagrass is washing up, or when it will come, or when it will go. It would be very difficult to plan a trip around this, but I suspect it's more prevalent during hurricane season. It was terrible. It was RANK, it smelled like dead fish everywhere on property, including indoors. You could not sit on the beach, let alone get in the water. I don't know how management can handle this - because it's an act of God, really, but they should at least send an email saying that there is an issue that will probably be here during your stay. We have beach access at home, so not a huge deal for us to hang out by a lovely pool all day. Good luck if you're coming from Germany for a beach holiday!
The rooms had plenty of storage, and amenities - shampoo, lotion, etc. Also, we asked for our fridge to be cleaned out so we could put our own items in, and they just brought us another mini fridge. It was nice to have a small kitchenette to make drinks and have snacks.
Since this was our anniversary, the staff decorated the bathroom, ran a bath, added rose petals...sweet and thoughtful. They also made a special table for us at breakfast that morning - embarrassing, but a lovely gesture.
The pool was very nice. Our only complaint is that since the water is non-potable, ice and water should be offered at least hourly. Some of the servers were onto this, they would plunk down an ice bucket and keep you stocked with bottled water and fresh ice. Others did not, so it was inconsistent.
We used the 7 senses spa and it was fantastic. A must do. We both had massages, and they were actually good, not your typical resort light touch rub down - actually felt like she got in there and did some work.
My husband brought his clubs to play a few courses. It turns out 2 of the courses he wanted to play were closed for maintenance. So, he had one course to play. Another disappointment, but he should have called ahead to schedule tee times, he wouldn't known.
A bright note to the trip was meeting a couple from NJ. We don't tend to mingle much when we travel, so it was unusual to actually meet people and really like them!
Overall, we might go back, if we know there is no seaweed & the courses are opened. The staff does try really hard to make it a special experience, and, as I said, everything was pristine, just missed the mark by a bit...

Stayed: June 2018
6  Thank Jewels1698
Puntacana Resor... a, Special Sales Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Dear Jewels1698,

Many thanks for taking the time to give your recommendations following your recent stay with us at the Tortuga Bay. Hotel at Puntacana Resort and Club We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you felt accommodated by our staff. We hope you come back soon and will me more than happy to schedule any activities, reservations, and answer any questions before you arrive. And can even give you certain recommendations if you would like.

We are making numerous and our greatest efforts to clean the beach from the unpredictable seaweed flow the days we do have them.

Despite this inconvenience we hope you visit us again in the near future. Our best wishes!