“Overall it was great!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Kitchener
“Overall it was great!”
Reviewed 26 September 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 10 days in early September. We wanted a nice quiet getaway and that's exactly what we got. Overall we had a great time! I will TRY to keep it short & sweet...

Resort itself - amazing if you want to unwind and be around a quiet atmosphere it is great. Though it is not just for couples, it is a perfect place for couples to be together.

Rooms - we stayed in villa 38 and it was great... villa 38 & 36 are closest to the beach.. we were on the top floor - nice, we could see a little bit of the ocean as well. We stayed in the Deluxe Jr Suite (2nd room category). It was clean - no complaints. Bed was comfy although it was a bit firm for my liking but this is something you need to adjust to wherever you are travelling too - things are different from Canada to the Caribbean. Also some reviews complained about the AC - had no issue's as such... some reviews complain about a smell.. there is not a mildew smell some people mentioned - it's just the smell of the water.. if it bugs ya enough spray some perfrume or bring some freshener - you'll be fine.. I wouldn't create an issue out of this at all.

Maids - they were wonderful - always did a great job… Turn down service is also a nice treat.

Food & Drinks - overall it was great. We did get a little sick near the end of our holiday however I am sure this is not the resorts fault - this most likely happen during our excursion when we did not drink bottled water. They have a lot of variety and the nice thing is you can go over to the family side resort and have more options.

The California Rolls @ the Sea Blue was awesome, other dishes were great but I think I ordered a roll everyday.. lol

The Cata Tapas is also very nice.. The grouper was great.. very good atmosphere here.. very attentive staff here... they were very kind.

Thalhasa (pretty sure I am spelling it wrong, but the restaurant in the lobby) was great for their breakfast lunch and dinner... I personally preferred their dinner meals best.

I will make a quick note on one staff member - Nelson - he was just awesome. He is a very nice & kind person... he really made our trip a little better with his kindness. I could see even with other guests he interacted with them the same way he did with us.

Japanese Restaurant - on the family side - awesome show while they cook your meal! The food was also yummy.

Italian Restaurant - also on the family side - VERY good.. The osobuco was delish.. amoung many other things.

Drinks were also good.. I personally wasn't a fan of the service @ the infinity pool bar - not as friendly.. I tried many times speaking in just Spanish with them but no go either... the beach bar was great... the Maloo Juice bar is also fantastic.

Nice thing no reservations for Royal guests which is a major plus.

I saw one review someone saying there isn't enough "Dominican Food" - not true - there totally is! They have a yummy cook out on Fridays for lunch on the beach... chicken, seafood and rice.. it was amazing... and they have Dominican Day with a pig roast, also some vendors come to the swim up pool area. We bought some stuff. Also some restaurants have Dominican themed food as well. They try their very best to cater to everyone's needs and I would say they do a great job. People need to stop comparing "Canadian" or "American" food to the Carribean (I'm sure they would say the same things about the food we eat back home) it's good just different - that's all.

Beach & Pools, Grounds - Grounds are always so very well kept.. Pools were also very nice.. Beach was great too.. Of course there is seaweed!! (i love people that complain about this).. It’s the ocean!! that's what happens! lol... again staff does a great job cleaning this throughout the day! There was also space for us to find chairs either with more sun or more shade (beach & pool)... the palms everywhere give tons of shade which is always needed in the Caribbean.

Lots of actives too offered by the resort....

Gym - I haven't seen any mention by anyone about the Gym.. it is great! Small but you have enough treadmills, weights and other cardio machines. It is not very busy so it is enough machines for sure. It is well kept!

Snorkeling - yes you can do this right off the resort.. If I wasn't scared of putting my head under water and floating there I would have done it no problem (maybe in a few years I’ll get over that fear lol) but it was nice, shallow water so very nice.. lots of fish to see =)

Staff - overall very good... they do what they can right..They speak English of course but some will just speak in Spanish to you.. which is totally fine (I get it) but this may bother some people that are not as open to speaking Spanish. My boyfriend was getting a little frustrated however; I did most of the talking.
The guy who gives you fresh towels by the swim up pool is probably the rudest guy... this is a little unfortunate BUT you move on and make the best of it... I am one of those people that really try to embrace Spanish and I was having a hard time... they need to remember that it's not that easy for everyone.

Another note I will add quickly, as a travel agent I hear people telling me that @ Catalonia resorts there aren't any English speaking guests, just European.... this makes me laugh cause any all inclusive you go to, anywhere there are people from all over the world.. but yes it is true, at Catalonia there tend to be more European's there which is great.. There are of course Americans and Canadians as well.. a nice mix of people.

Overall I would recommend this property (I would say 4.5 star) - it was a nice, quiet, intimate holiday for me & my boyfriend and we got exactly what we wanted, some time for us to relax and be together.

Room Tip: I like to ask for higher floor, close to beach... ocean view... if you are in a Deluxe Junior Suite...
10 Thank Genevieve G
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor!
We always look forward to receive your comments about your recent stay at Catalonia Royal. It’s a pleasure to read our services met your expectations and had a wonderful time! Thank you for your great feedback of our different services, we appreciate you recommending us, we will be waiting to welcome you back for a second amazing holiday.

Best regards

Management Assistant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,061)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
North Carolina
Reviewed 26 September 2012

My wife and I went on our honeymoon here several weeks ago. Overall we had a good time. Some food was really good, some sub-par. Italian restaurant was our favorite. Very relaxing on the royal side. Nice, quite beach. Make sure you catch the beach parties that are on two nights during the week.

Now, to the reason I wanted to post on this site. Our trip was made by several staff members at Catalonia. One of the few reasons that I would come back to this resort was because of these gentlemen. Elias Omey and Juan Roberto Yan that work in the Creperie restaurant were responsible for some of the best nights on our trip. My wife and I ended up going to the Creperie every night (11 nights total) to eat Juan's crepes and enjoy he and Elias' company. The first few nights we went just because of the crepes, but as our trip went on, we found ourselves going to speak to Elias and Juan, and eating the crepes was big plus!! They both made me look at my life as an American in a different light. I never thought I would have such a life changing experience while on my honeymoon. We as Americans are very fortunate to live in a society that has so many great options to earn a living to support our families. These guys work very hard for what they have, and it is inspiring to see two people in a third world country working as hard as they do to support their families.

I know a long post about a two staff members may seem silly, but these guys deserve so much credit for what they do, and what kind of people they are. I hope that if you visit this resort you will go to the Creperie and support both Elias and Juan. I tipped them as much as I could. I know they will make your visit as awesome as they did ours.

Two others that impacted our trip were Juan, a waiter at two of the restaurants on the Royal side, and a bartender named Miguel at the Royal beach. Two great guys with great attitudes. Always enjoyed being around these two folks.

If you visit this resort please look for these guys. You are missing out if you do not.

Best of luck.
Chad

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ChadWNC
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for choosing us, we were enchanted to welcome you for your honeymoon holidays. We appreciate your kind comments about our staff; they will be congratulated on your behalf for the excellent service provided. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards.

Management Assistant.
Toronto
Reviewed 14 September 2012

My boyfriend and I took our first trip (with sister & finance, mother & father- late 20's and up) to the DR and stayed here, the last week of March 2012.

Immediate perks:
Adults only
Clean
Quiet
Not far from Airport

Each couple very much did their own thing, and enjoyed it to the fullest. There were ACTIVITIES off the resort that were easily facilitated on-site (scuba diving and buggy tour)

the BEACH was impeccable for a full day of lounging:
pristine ocean maintained as such by dividing wall (appreciated by some)
beach bar steps away
full waiter service
lounge chairs and umbrellas
daily meals served on the beach (DR style paella, made fresh over huge open fire)

The GROUNDS were in great shape, POOLS were clean:
infinity pool usually occupied by full day loungers
Pool with swim-up bar was more lively, always a good time

FOOD was decent quality, no one sick and few complaints aside form maybe having the same thing twice! A few notable meals in the main restaurant on this side of the resort, Japanese restaurant was fun on family-side

SPA was lovely and enjoyable, should you wish to spend a few extra $'s
nice way to spend a morning...pampered

Short walk over to the family resort- more partying, more lively- nice to have the option to come back and retreat.

While I am always hesitant to endorse a place (as one man's paradise is one man's hell!) I can state that we all had a marvellous time. If you are looking to relax for a change, this is it. No samba lines dancing through the pool chairs, no beer-chugging contests.

Should you be on your way to Royal Catalonia Bavaro, we hope that your experience is an equally lovely one, and that you feel like a high roller for your 7 days too- you deserve that!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
17 Thank lindsay416
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor!
First of all we are enchanted to receive your comments about our services; always a pleasure to know you had a successful holiday at Catalonia Royal. Our staff was more than pleased to provide the excellent service you deserve for your holidays. Thank you for recommending us, we look forward to your next holidays!

Kind regards.

Scotland
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Our first trip to DR and the Catalonia Royal Bavaro exceeded our expectations! Our room was stunning, service was excellent and food was varied and plentyful. Staff are very helpful and polite and always had a friendly "buenos dias" with a smile when passing. I loved the waiter service on the beach, the swim up bar at the main pool and the tapas restaurant was excellent quality food. I would have no hesitation on reccommending this adult only hotel, they strive to keep standards high and do a great job of achieving it. We are a couple in our 50's and will definately be returning. Thank you Royal Bavaro we had a wonderful holiday!!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are not as private as 1st or 2nd floors as some of paths are right outside your b...
7 Thank SamanthaJayne06
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Catalonia Royal for your first visit to the Dominican Republic! Also we appreciate receiving your great review on Trip Advisor.
Thank you for your excellent recommendation and comments, we will pass on your kind words to our staff they will be most encouraged. It’s an honor to read you will be choosing us again in the future; we look forward to your next holidays!

Lake Elsinore, California
Reviewed 11 September 2012

The Catalonia Royal is a nice resort and we enjoyed the Adults Only concept but it was not fantastic. We did like our large, nicely furnished Deluxe Suite overlooking the gardens and Villas with private pool. We liked that there was untouched jungle to look at behind the resort grounds. The shower was really nice with 2 shower heads (1 was a rain shower) and the cute Glass with Reef and Fish dividing the shower from the large round bath tub in the room. Our king bed had a good mattress and was comfortable but pillows were very lumpy. We did ask for a different kind type of pillow from the pillow menu which we promptly received but it was hard. Everything with the Suite was very good and our maid was great. Very sweet and did a fantastic job cleaning. We tipped her every day and she made cute towel swans and there were flowers and leaves for decoration everywhere. Good turn down service as well. The resort does very well with at least the Deluxe Suites. The food and drinks were mostly only so so. The Italian Restaurant over on the family side was very good, Mikado Japanese Restaurant also on the family side was pretty good and fun and Cata Tapas on the adult side had a very nice atmosphere and the ribs were very good. Service at this restaurant was great. Breakfast & lunch at Thalasso Restaurant in the lobby building was good and the service mostly friendly. We did not like the Blue Grill at the beach for lunch. Our meal was not good and the service was indifferent. Some of the people working at the resort were very nice and helpful others seemed bored and just going through the motions. The Infinity pool next to the beach was very nice. Sometimes a waiter would come and take drink orders but other times not. You had to get out of the pool and walk wet over to the restaurant stand there until the bartender has time to make a drink. The other pool is at the back of the resort and the service at the swim up bar was good and the drinks were better there as well. But we did not find that pool or area as beautiful as the Infinity pool area where you could see the ocean from the pool. The overall cleanliness and upkeep of the resort was very good and the landscaping was pretty and well taken care of. The beach is very nice with tall coco palms, soft sand and a long stretch of beach. The ocean here is a green color (not the bright turquoise as in other areas along the coast) but still pretty and very clear visibility on most days. The sea grass was a non issue for us as it is natural and due to it there were tons of fish around the artificial reef. We saw a few smaller stingrays in the sand while snorkeling and 3 flat flounders so watch were you step. So in that regard we did like the beach and ocean here. The beach and pool area never felt too crowded and the beach waiter was a very nice gentleman that made the rounds. The beach bar under a Palapa Roof with nice chairs was cute and we loved the Maloo Fruit Juice Bar. Our best drinks at the resort were freshly made fruit juices from Maloo and a bit of rum from the bottle we received on arrival to our Suite. The other drinks were too sweet for our taste and the Margaritas and Mojito's where not good. We never had a problem finding 2 lounges in the shade at the beach or a free lounge bed around the Infinity pool. There was never a shortage of beach towels. One day they made fresh Seafood Paella at the beach for lunch which was good and one evening was a fun Beach Party with lots of BBQ food, a DJ, dancing and nice camaraderie with other guest. This resort did attract some really nice people and we made friends easy here. The resort was about 90% full and so was the family side. The family side landscaping and pool looked nice but it was way more crowded over there on the beach as well. It had that Mass-tourism feel which we don't prefer. At the Adult Only Royal side. The majority of guest came from Germany, Russia, a few other European countries and a smaller percentage from the US. We really enjoyed this mixture. And lots of cute honeymoon couples. There was even a marriage proposal in the Infinity pool.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend booking a Deluxe Suite as the other Suites don't have the nicly refurbi...
8 Thank Munichchick
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comment on Trip Advisor.
We are content to receive your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at Catalonia Royal.
We are delighted overall you had a successful holidays with us, and appreciated our resorts ground and services, we will of course take note of your important suggestions and comments to improve in this areas.
It will be an honor to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Best regards.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 September 2012

While the resort was breathtakingly gorgeous and our exclusive room with a private pool was the highlight of our vacay, the food was not good at all. When I say not good, I mean bordering on disgusting. The pizza was average and so we lived off of pizza for 5 days. My fiance and I loved the place, all the rooms are big and beautiful, clean, spacious and perfect. The grounds are of course well kept, the staff extremely friendly as well but the food was just bad. The breakfast at Thalassa restaurant was edible and so we filled ourselves to the brim in preparation to most likely starve for the rest of the day. The Tapas restaurant wasn't terrible but its only open for dinner and the portions are tiny- its a tapas restaurant so I guess I cannot complain about portion size. All in all I give Royal Catalonia a 3.5 overall, if the food were at all edible it would be a 4.5, most definitely.

Room Tip: Definitely shell out the extra dough to get the exclusive suite with the private swimming pool, it w...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gingerbeer1
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, Management Assistant at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your time invested in this comment.

First of all we appreciate your comments about our resort grounds and rooms; also it’s a delight to know you received always a friendly service from our staff. We are sorry to read about the discontent with the food service, it would have been a pleasure to be aware at the moment to do our best in assisting you. It would be an honor to welcome you back, to exceed your expectations.

Best regards

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We spent our honeymoon at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro. I had high expectations based on the reviews and was slightly disappointed.
I will start with the bad first:
THE FOOD was the biggest disappointment. Thalassa was by far the best place we ate. Their pasta dishes were pretty good. We ate at the steak house on the other side one night and did not have a great meal. My husband ordered the churassco, I would recommend that. Stay away from the crab cakes, I don't even know how to describe them except they were cold, and reminded me more of sausage, didn't even resemble or taste crab. The Italian restaurant on the other side was pretty good, we ended up eating there twice because on the last night we tried to go the Hibatchi restaurant and it was closed. Weird. Also, the restaurants close from 6p-7p, you cannot get any food anywhere between those times-that includes drinks. Stay away from room service-that food was just horrible.
THE ROOM was the next disappointment. It was dark and always felt damp. It smelled of mildew and the sheets always felt wet. We could have asked for another room, why didn't we? I dont have a good reason except that it didn't seem to bother my husband.
HORSEBACK RIDING excursion was sad. The horses looked tired, had scabs. Just sad.
The good:
THE DRINKS were always flowing, great options, always had service at the beach, the bar, the restaurants. The price of the all inclusive is worth every penny if you like to drink.
THE STAFF was awesome. Friendly, helpful, always smiling, saying hello. Concierge could have been a bit more knowledgable but at least they were friendly.
THE GROUNDS were beautiful, well kept. You can tell the staff cares about what the place looks like. The restaurants were clean and very nice looking-each with different decor. The other side was just gorgeous.
PRIVACY was perfect. We could be social if we wanted and with it being adult only, we didn't run into screaming kids or annoying drunk people. You can get that though, just go next door. So I loved that there were options.
THE BEACH was breath taking. Lots of places to lounge, always found a spot to lay out and shade for my hubby.
SONOA ISLAND excursion was amazing. Catamaran out to the island was lovely and the island was gorgeous, felt like we were stranded on a deserted island.
LOCATION to the airport was great, it is the closest to the airport which made for a short car ride which I really appreciated because the people in the DR drive like lunatics-and I come from NYC.
OVERALL I would not recommend or go back to this resort. It was a great honeymoon and we had a lovely time but we are both foodies, the lack of great food was a big deal for us so we splurged one night and went to the JELLYFISH, a local restaurant off the resort. That was not only the best meal we had in the DR, but one of the best we have ever had. Worth every penny.

Room Tip: Stay off the first floor, you will likely have more light in your room which will probably help with...
1 Thank Audra J
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor, and for choosing us for your honeymoon holidays.
We appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff, grounds and ambiance; we are content overall you enjoyed a lovely honeymoon with us. Also we apologize for your disappointment with the restaurants service, we kindly clarify restaurants on the family side open at 6:30 p.m. also they count with the snack bar 24hours. We look forward to change your mind and have the chance to welcome you back, and show the excellent service we can provide.

Kind regards.

#39 of 112 in Punta Cana
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!