“lovely and relaxng”

GreenLeadersGold level
Paisley, United Kingdom
“lovely and relaxng”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I stayed at the Catalonia Royal with my daughter from 2nd - 12th October.
Check in was quick and easy and our room was ready when we got there. We were in villa 44 with a nice view overlooking the pool. We had no problem with humidity in the room . AC worked well .
The beach was beautiful and was cleaned regularly . Tho after getting a few nasty bites we tended to stay by the pool.
The staff were lovely and we never had a problem despite my limited spanish .
The restauraunts were all nice though our favourite was Thalassa. The servers were always friendly and eager to please. We tried the Gran Caribe buffet for dinner but it wasnt that great, but we did like it there for breakfast . Some people complained about the birds flying in and out .. i kinda liked them and it was nice to sit overlooking the lake and have the flamingos , herons , fish and turtles for breakfast companions.The Dominican buffet on Sunday was great , the spit roasted pork was amazing . I also fell in love with the iguanas on the grounds on the family side. We didnt see much of the nightly entertainment , we preferred getting up early and enjoying the days. Although we did like the Micheal Jackson show , that was fun.
We had no problems with vendors or people selling excursions on the beach, a polite no thanks and they left you alone.
On the whole we got what we went for , a nice chilled out few days in beautiful surroundings. Really cant think of anything I would complain about.
Would I return .. yes i probably would.
Thank you to all the staff who made our stay special.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sugar100
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. sugar100,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for your recent holidays. It’s wonderful to receive your review on Trip Advisor. We are grateful to read our room accommodations, facilities and staffs were of your expectations!

Thank you for your valuable feedback and suggestions, we certainly look forward to your next visit.

Josep Castellnou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,058)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 16 October 2013

If you want a great time please go to the pool at the sea blue bar and have Hector Ramirez take care of your beverages he is awesome - Hector will remember what you like to drink and he will bring you your drink as you are thinking - gee I would like a drink and honestly he arrives at the right time - I can't be the only one that loves Hector - Hector is an asset to the Royal

Room Tip: Pick a room on the pool side which is the front of the building because it will be quieter than the...
2 Thank Dianne A
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Mrs. Dianne A,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana. We are delighted to receive your review on Trip Advisor. We are content to read you have received an outstanding service from Hector Ramirez, we will for sure congratulate and encourage him to continue the excellent work! We hope you continue enjoying!

Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband and I just got back from Catalonia Royal (honeymoon). Here's a summary of our experiences;

Service - The front desk was always helpful. We don't speak much Spanish, but their English was good enough that we rarely had issues.
The servers at the restaurants were all very polite and greeted us with smiling faces. As mentioned in other reviews, you could have 2 or 3 servers for one meal and it's confusing as to who to tip.. we would just leave it at the table.
The bar tenders were also nice. Sometimes it took too long for them to come around and replace my empty drink, but that was just a reason for me to get my butt up and go to the bar my self! You can't expect to be waited on hand and foot, there are hundreds of other people they are waiting on!

Food - your best bet is to stay on the Royal side for food. All three restaurants are great and offer a great selection. Room service was also good and the food was always hot.
We went to the family side to try their food. I couldn't even find anything I wanted at the large buffet.. I just walked around, empty plate in hand, and finally gave up. We had dinner at the Japanese restaurant. The food was okay, but we have this type of restaurant where we're from.. I wish I would have gone to Thalassa or Cata Tapa instead of wasting a meal on something I could have had at home.

Grounds - Clean! Our room was cleaned twice a day, the pool and beach areas were cleaned every morning, and all walkways mopped (can be slippery at times). The one weird thing.. if you walked around the room barefooted, the bottom of your feet were RED! Still, I don't think it's a cleanliness thing, just weird..

Our over-all experience was good. I'm not giving 5 stars for a few minor negatives; Sometimes the drinks weren't strong enough and the cups are very small, our room was very humid (and always warm), the wi-fi had not-so-good connectivity, and too many pushy sells men trying to make us buy excursions, hand make jewelry, cigars, etc! I think that was the worst part.

1 Thank Emily B
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Mrs. Emily B,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for choosing us for your honeymoon in Punta Cana. We appreciate you taking your time to share your comment on Trip Advisor.

It was our staff pleasure to provide a helpful and friendly service. Thank you for your valuable feedback, as it’s our main tool to continue improving our services; we take important note to revise with the departments involved.

Once again thank you for your comments and suggestions, we are glad overall you had a pleasant holiday and enjoyed our services and facilities. We look forward to welcome you back soon at Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My parents, husband and I stayed at this report Sept 27 - Oct 11 2013, villa 38 on the second floor. The rooms were clean. We ate alot of the meals at the Thalassia - and the sweet sweet people that work in there were always kind. If my parents entered the restraunt for breakfast earlier than me, I was always informed by the staff that "Mama & Papa" have already eatten and have now continued on to have fun. Hector Ramierez at the Infinity Pool Bar kept an eye out on these seniors aswell. I never had to ask twice for a drink and when I went to the ocean for a swim I felt very comfortable leaving my mother in Hector's good hands.We only went to one show as most evenings it was raining. I guess it was that time of year. If I go back to this resort in the future, I will be sure to bring a tin of OFF. The mosquitoes really loved my ankles. This alone kept me from the buffet (Grand Caribe) at the familly resort as the seats were outside. Also, if you don't like birds, then you might not want to eat at the Grand Caribe as nothing is said about children feeding the birds. The birds have now been trained to fly and land on your table - take food, sugar packets etc and fly off. I personally don't like any animal on my dinner table. This area should be screened in to keep the birds and mosquitoes out. Other restaurants on the family side were good. Not excellent, but good. You definately will find something that you like between the 2 resorts. The only thing I didn't appreaciate is that the theatre was outside and again had to battle mosquitoes at night - shows started around 9:30 p.m.? With that in mind, I didn't bother.

Room Tip: Spend a little more to get the delux suites and face the pool side. Then you get sunshine all day lo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diana S
Dear Mrs. Diana S,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor!

We are pleased to read you received an excellent service especially from the Thalassa staff and Hector Ramirez, we will share your kind comments with them.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions in regards of our sister resort Catalonia Bavaro services, we will make sure to share with the departments involved for consideration and future improvements, please receive our apologies for the inconvenience.

We are content to know overall you had an excellent holiday; we look forward to being your choice once again in the future.

Kind regards.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My girlfriend and I traveled to the Royal Oct. 6 - 10th and had ALL expectations exceeded. Staying on the Royal side was indeed the best of both worlds since we are able to use all of the amenities from the much larger, family, Catalonia side and not vice versa.

Food: The 2 restaurants on the Royal Side (Thalassa and Cata Tapa) both were fantastic and upscale. Food quality, service, and presentation were all top notch. The Sea Grille was a great outdoor lunch option by the infinity pool with a beach view for burgers, sandwiches, etc. Room service is 24 hours and comes within 30 minutes. They have a great wood oven pizza station set up by pool on Cat. side that we went to almost daily to grab quick slices during the day. Try the corn pizza.

We mixed it up and tried some of the themed restaurants on the Catalonia side as well as their "privileged buffet" for breakfast and lunch. Hibachi and the Steak House. All were surprisingly good, after reading mixed reviews, definitely recommend the Hibachi experience!

Rooms: Big, clean, and comfortable. Our building (36) seemed to have the newer renovated rooms. Great large bathtub in room, comfortable king size bed, nice separate shower/bathroom, robes & slippers, tons of channels on flat screen tv, great AC and fan, living room, and balcony with hammock. Wifi worked consistently on balcony....although we could care less.

Pools/Beach: The infinity pool near the beach on Royal side was awesome. Cabana beds were always open and staff usually present to bring drinks right to you (as well as on beach side). Larger pool with swim up bar near lobby area was also nice.

The Catalonia had a huge pool with swim up bar and more activities and action. The Royal beach side had smaller beach area and more shallow water. The Catalonia's beach connected to ours and was much larger and less shallow so we used their beach more often than ours. The seaweed was constantly being cleaned and was a non factor. Gorgeous beach!

Night: There is nothing going on at the Royal side for after dinner so we went to the Catalonia side each night to catch some of the nightly shows and check out the entertainment by the lobby bar. The Casino and Disco were both small and minimally filled. Enough going on at Catalonia side for nights after long days of drinking in the sun....

All of the walk ways between and around both resorts were kept in great shape. Bridges over ponds and flowers everywhere etc. You can tell the staff does a great job and pays attention to the maintenance of the grounds. Service was overall solid everywhere we went and we honestly had 0 complaints. If we could change one thing it would be the amount of excursion vendors that walk around the beach area selling you packages. They seem to be affiliated with the hotel and were all very polite, yet annoying at times when you were just trying to relax.

Airport only 15 mins from Hotel.

Room Tip: ask for pool view so you can see the fountains and lights at night. building closer to beach are new...
4 Thank D R
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Mrs./ Mr. D R,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for sharing your comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are delighted to confirm you enjoyed the best of both world with our variety of services as well as our facilities and room accommodations.

We appreciate your kind remarks regarding our restaurant. In regards of the entertainment at Catalonia Royal we kindly clarify we count with a live Piano player and a beach party.

Once again thank you for your excellent comments; it would be a great pleasure to welcome you back soon!

Kind regards.

Manchester
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Third 2 week visit in as many years to CRB-which probably says it all in short!

Still there? OK here's a little more detail!

We've stayed on the top floor of #46 and also had a room on the ground floor of #36. Yes the higher rooms suffer less from the high humidity of the Dom Rep-it's the laws of physics! However with the A/C running pretty much continually supplemented with a dehumidifier, if available the environment on the ground floor was perfectly all right. Probably the best tip I can give any one shortly to arrive is to leave space in your luggage for a good quality air freshener (eg Febreeze) just to ensure a pleasant aroma is maintained throughout your stay! Standard rooms are perfectly fine, though on this most recent visit we treated ourselves and upgraded to a pool room which was absolutely divine!

Not going to say too much about food as this is so subjective. However if fine dining/haute cuisine is an essential element of your holiday selecting AI in a developing country has to be taking a chance?! We thought Cata Tapas was again superb for dinner and this year a little disappointed with lunch in the sea blue which seemed somewhat "preprepared" compared to previous visits. After first few days we tended to lunch at La Palapa on "the other side" where Royal guests have a separate seating area with a fine sea view which was surprisingly quite on most visits. Here there is an extensive buffet where the only problem was not to eat too much in order to enjoy your evening dinner! Breakfast and dinner in the thalasa also to a high standard- I have a personal difficulty with eating dinner in the "Breakfast Room"-but hey that's perhaps just me!
Dress Code no longer being enforced anywhere on the entire resort which to me seems a shame! Doesn't seem right that in the line to be seated for dinner the first couple have clearly made an effort to get "dressed up" and the next couple look as if they've just walked off the beach??

Staff as most reviewers report are a great credit to this resort with their smiling faces and efficient service. Many personnel are still "the same" as from our first visit 3 years ago. Pretty much total ignorance of Spanish has never presented any issues nor has tipping or not made any discernible difference to quality of service-though a few dollars here and there are welcomed and deserved!

Entertainment is pretty much the provenance of the "other side" On the Royal side the little guy with the afro hair and glasses is undoubtedly a fine piano player, but I'm afraid it just doesn't work for me- his repertoire is rather depressing on the whole and many folk come to the bar entrance and turn right round again when he is performing!

Will there be a fourth visit next year-every chane!

4 Thank Gokeith
Dear Mrs. / Mr. Gokeith,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro! Thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana, we are delighted to receive your comment on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your trust in our services! It’s a delight to read you returned back home with memories of a successful holiday experience. We are content that our room accommodations were of your enjoyment.

We appreciate your valuable feedback and suggestions in regards of our restaurant services, to make sure it’s corrected. Once again thank you, we most certainly look forward to your fourth visit to Catalonia Royal Bavaro!

Arkansas
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I take a yearly vacation to the beach every September and usually go to Mexico. I have been to the Catalonia Royal Tulum three times and I love it. The beach at the Catalonia Royal Punta Cana isn't as nice. The water is clear, but since it's the Atlantic, it's more green than blue and not as pretty. It's also very shallow and the waves break half a mile out or so.

The resort itself was small and nicely kept. Our room was just fine, as we don't spend a lot of time in the room anyway. But it was clean and the bed was comfortable. I will say, the air conditioner worked very well and most mornings I was freezing when I got up.

The bartenders at the beach bar are very fun and always smiling and laughing (and can make a good rum drink). They do not have very good alcohol selection and no real "top shelf" liquor to speak of. Just stick with coco loco, you can't go wrong. The coffee at the coffee bar however is to die for.

The food was average. Like I said, I enjoy the Catalonia in Tulum better and the food and alcohol in Tulum is above average, with more selection.

Overall, this was a decent place for the price, but I won't be returning, as it looks like I will stick to the blue waters of the Carribean next year.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lslane
CataloniaRoyalBavaro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Mrs. lslane,

Greetings from Catalonia Royal Bavaro, thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking your time to share your comment on Trip Advisor.

We are glad to confirm overall you found our facilities and accommodations enjoyable and received always a friendly service from our staff, especially the bartenders.

We are sorry to read our beach area and food services were not of your expectations, we hope you give us the opportunity of a second visit, being our main goal to exceed your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!