This is a great resort. The rooms are large and clean. We tipped the maid daily and got the best service. We were in villa 38 which is in the perfect location - halfway between the beach and the main lobby. There was a nice balcony with a hammock, wifi was okay most of the time, surprisingly quiet in the rooms and there are quite a few english tv channels.
The only thing that bothered us about the towel game on the beach was the people who saved chairs first thing in the morning and didn't show up until late afternoon. It's okay to leave your stuff there while you have lunch or take a walk on the beach but all day is a little much. We noticed that most people go to the beach in the morning and leave in the afternoon so there are plenty of chairs available at that time - no need to reserve if you don't go to the beach until the afternoon. Unfortunately no one monitors this. The snorkeling was pretty good out by the man-made concrete pipe - lots of different fish. The oddest fish we saw was a scrawled filefish - pretty cool looking.
The food was great. We enjoyed the a la cartes - especially the ribs at Cata Tapa. Best ribs ever!!! We never had to wait and loved that we did not have to make reservations. We had breakfast every morning at Thalassa. I loved the omelets and tipped the chef a few times. My wife usually ate off the buffet and totally enjoyed everything. Great service there especially Anderson! The buffet on the other side was good - lots to choose from and they cooked some dishes fresh for you. We ate at the Rodeo Steakhouse twice and it was excellent both times. We also found the service bad at Sea Blue but the food was very good so we put up with it but didn't always tip there. We enjoyed the Juice Bar at the beach every morning and the Beach Bar every afternoon. Great service at both.
I went golfing twice at the 18-hole and once at the 9-hole and both were very good. The best part was the singing driver that took us to and from the courses - highly entertaining!
We wondered about tipping in the restaurants as there are so many people involved in your meal - the person who seats you, the person who brings you a drink, the person who takes your order, the person who brings your order and the person who cleans the table. We were told to give the tip directly to the person who gave you good service as they do not share in the tips.
We didn't care for the staff who tried to pressure us into the hotel tour every time we went to the lobby. This is a total turn-off and we were surprised that the resort does this to their guests - not cool!
We met some really nice people here from all over the world - Copenhagen, PEI, Wiarton, Thunder Bay, Brantford and Ohio. Thanks for making our vacation better.
All in all, this is a beautiful resort with a great beach, nice pools, excellent food and friendly staff. We would definitely go back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the authentic Caribbean at an exclusive, adults-only resort. Its small details make big your stay and the personalized service you receive will make you feel as if you were in heaven. Exclusive suites, innovative restaurants, dreamlike swimming pools…relax in this tropical paradise and enjoy the best vacation you’ve ever had. Have an extraordinary experience, and leave the worrying to us; we’ll take care of you ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Expedia, TravelUp, Booking.com, Prestigia, Holiday Gems, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Catalonia Royal Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Hotel Punta Cana
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Punta Cana
- Royal Catalonia Bavaro