Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Melia.com
US$639
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$375
US$315
  • Breakfast included
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$459
US$2,112
US$1,408
US$1,198
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$462
US$463
US$204
6,363 results
All reviewsroyal sideinfinity poolpiano barcata tapathalassa restauranttapas restaurantthe sea blue restauranttao catrodeo steak housejuice barroyal guestsla toscanaswim up barsister resortsea grassmusty smellmain restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Just returned from the Royal Catalonia last night. My husband & I stayed on the Royal side while the other 12 in our group stayed on the "regular" Catalonia side.
I too, really enjoy seeing these broken down into catagories. Here goes:

Check-in: Friendly. Spoke english & were greeted with a cool drink from the bar. We had about a 20 min. wait for our room which was fine with us.

Rooms: Very clean. Nice updated decor. It had a musty smell to it but I've found that of other nice hotels in this climate. My husband & I loved the balcony with the hammock. We did not have a pool view but were in Villa 44 with a "garden" view. The bed is harder than I like but after lots of sun and some rum I never had a problem sleeping.
The housekeeper always had flowers and towel sculptures around the room and bathroom.

Food: Let me start off by saying that I'm a little picky about food. We only ate at Thallasa one time and ordered the languistino lobster. It was pretty good. I didn't care for my side or appetizer, though.
The Mexican restaurant was our favorite. They have a tequilla shrimp that was WONDERFUL. Also the shrimp quesidilla was great!
Next favorite was the American steakhouse. The ribeye was delicious and I'm from the midwest.
The Japanese was ok. Some in our group loved the sushi but the whole meal was just "eh" for me.
I really didn't care much for the Italian restaurant and neither did anyone in our group. We all went directly to the creperie shop immediately afterwards. Great crepes!
The buffets were alright. We always found something that we liked, especially at breakfast.
My husband ate at the beach buffet and had a bite of undercooked chicken that sent his stomach into cramps. CIPRO helped tremendously.
Another in our group spent 2 different nights violently ill. (Not alcohol related) We still can't figure out what she ate that got to her. She didn't let it ruin her vacation (mainly due to the effectiveness of the Cipro she took right away.
There were 2 others that I knew of that had bouts of this too. Again...Cipro to the rescue!
Just plan ahead and you'll be fine. Definately do not brush your teeth in the tap water no matter what they tell you.
We ordered room service once & it was very good.
Loved the Banana Mama & Coco Loco drinks. Especially good on the Royal side.

Beach: Beautiful & quiet. We didn't spend much time on the Royal Side due to the other 12 in our group were on the regular Catalonia side.

Pool: Again...Beautiful & quiet. We didn't spend any time here because we had a tough time finding people that spoke english. There were alot of French speaking people there at the time I guess.
We really enjoyed the regular Catalonia pool. We sat near the pool bar every day & had very few children in the area. It had a much more lively vibe to it which we enjoyed.

The new construction: At a stand still it looks like, for now. Will be VERY nice when completed. Spoke with another couple (on the plane home) that stayed in the new Villa 38. They said it was very nice.
The new beach restaurant and pools look like they'll be very nice.

The Staff: Very friendly & helpful. Found out after getting there that the housekeeping ladies enjoy cosmetics/nail polish/etc. as well as money. Will remember next visit and bring some along instead of candy.

The entertainment: HARD WORKERS! Always something to do. Enjoyed the Michael Jackson show.

We heard from others in our group that the massages by the ocean were heavenly.

I did the parasailing on our last full day there. Fun but didn't realize that I'd be gone as long as I was. Got sunburned even though I had just applied sunscreen before we left.

If it weren't for the few food issues I would have given it a 5.

Honestly...We went in with an open mind, ready for fun & relaxation. Mission completed.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank beachbis
Reviewed 25 February 2009

I booked to stay at this hotel last year, but upon arrival they overbooked and sent us elsewhere. They offered us a FREE trip to come back and it was worth the inconvenience. We were treated extremely well upon arrival thanks to BRENEY at the Service Desk. He took care of our every need. Our room was clean and always well stocked with snacks and beveridges. You must Remember to keep your Dehumidifier on for the dampness. Great selection of movie channels. If you need a clock you must take one because we did not have one in the room, but after all you are on vacation. DONT forget to hang your DO Not Disturb Sign if you are in the room, LOL. We never ordered room service, but our friends did every morning, and enjoyed it. You should also book your Ala Carte Restaurants ASAP, because they do fill up. I am a HUGE FOODIE and will tell you the best foods for me. The American Steakhouse - steaks were great (except for the large hunk of attached fat you discard) the Brownie dessert is to die for ( I'm glad someone else posted it on here for me to take note on) and the Potato Skins were pretty darn good for the D.R. The Mexican - Macho Nachos, and Tequila shrimp was okay, don't forget the dessert because we were so full I didn't bother, and it was my favourite creme caramel. You must try the RUM CREAM by Barcelo on ice at the Thalassa Restaurant or Bar ONLY! The veal at lunch was also good. If you like well done BACON you must ask for them to cook it well at ALL the restaurants, at the large buffet they don't speak English well ( you must get someone to translate). The Pizza and Chicken and Fries and Nachos at the Regular Catalonia poolside at lunch and late afternoon are also pretty fantastic. It is the only place with food available late afternoon. Oh, the Creperie, fantastic Cappuchino and apple crepes ( the apple is the only FRESH filling), it is only open 4:00 - 11:00 p.m. If you are a GOURMET COFFEE DRINKER like me - I bought 20 pounds of Coffee Beans to bring home , be careful at the airport ( Security tried to charge me $20 ???? , I never paid it ) Ice cream at the beach buffet is also good, try it! The Tuesday night beach barbecue was MEH! I would pass if I went back, waste of time.The Italian Restaurant was good, we both had the Lasagna, it was good for what it was. The Japanese was a great experience if you have never done it before. Apparently some cooks don't put on a great show like we had. The food was a bit salty but okay, the sushi was good! Spanish coffee on Sunday nights at the Show area was great, and I think it was the same night the Cocktail Dude gave you a show while he made you a drink by the show as well. I had a Dominican Peach, the Bartender was Amazing - Video tape it! Don't forget to ASK for TOP SHELF LIQUOR at the Royal. I took a painting class which was Extremely enjoyable at the Catalonia Beach at noon, it is hard to find and fills up fast, don't be late. If you take bread and bananas to the beach you can see fish come up on the cement barrier to get it. Try the Archery by the Regular pool for funsies. My husband golfed a few times at the 18 hole course ( take your own balls and tees $$$) The shows were kind of Corny, the Michael Jackson one was okay. We also had a couples massage, well..........it wasn't great. The ladies chatted the whole time, and rubbed some sand into my oil, and I think they mixed up our massages. Shopping night is worth waiting for ( I think it was Thursday?????) they are nicer and you can get better deals than on the beach) If you want to hear certain music at the Royal pool bar take some CDS for Carlos to play, and leave them for him, I left a few because I think he only had 2 of his own. Someone mentioned on trip advisor about the pool music last year, thanks! Be Careful in the Casino , I gave you a heads up, don't forget your $5.00 coupon they give out. I will definitely go back, the weather was perfect, the people friendly, and the service was great! It is clean and safe. We also never got sick, but got our Twinrex Vaccines last year, they last forever. I think that just about covers it. Have fun and enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank BowmanvillePrincess
Reviewed 23 February 2009

Below is my review of this resort. I was their with my husband and we had a great time but there are a few things to be aware of.

rooms - very nice decor, jacuzzi, clean

beach - there was quite a bit of seaweed at the beach, it was not as taken care of, there were areas on the beach were you could see rock visible from underneath the sand, the sand was white, there were patches of seaweed in the ocean very close to the shore so people stayed away from certain parts of the shore, this was not a beach I would go back to

food - the food was comparable to food we had in Cuba, it was not better nor worse, a lady got sick while we were there and the staff took her to a hospital

service - this is where the resort really lost points, the staff barely spoke english, our patio door had a broken lock and we asked for someone to fix it twice - it was not fixed during the 7 days we were there, I asked for an iron board on day 3 - on day 7 I still have not seen it, the staff had a very difficult time understanding if you asked for anything

shows - I would rate the shows a 1 out of 5. The host made fun of the audience, that seemed to be his idea of comedy BUT it was not a tasteful comedy, it seemed like he was a bully in highschool type comedy, immature.

All in all it was a great vacation because it was relaxing, during the days we spent time by the pool and at night we walked around after dinner and then we enjoyed our room which had the jacuzzi.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank seeandtell
Reviewed 19 February 2009

Had a great time at the Cat Royal. Sunny everyday. I arrived about the some time Derekmom was leaving. LOL Sorry Derekmom. As it has been said before on here, if your the type of person that goes around searching for things to complain about, you will surely find it. I am not like that, nor do I tend to make big issues out of small issues. That being said;

Upon check-in, we arrived right at 3pm from the airport and found our room was not ready yet. Partly because we requested a particular building upon arrival and we were told it will be about an hour. No big deal, we ran off to eat and look around and when we came back, we were led up to the room. The staff at the front desk were polite and spoke enough English for me. HINT: Your visiting a Spanish speaking country, learn a few words and phrases. A simple Hola(Hello), Como Estas (how are you) and Bien (good) will do wonders on bring a smile to a face.

The room was very nice. Everyday, the maid did a great job. The bed was hard and I learned long ago to take my own pillows.

The food was good for the most part. I don't think I have ever been to a resort, in whatever country where I loved everything they offered to eat, but as the plan was, if we didn't like the meal at this particular place, let's hit the Buffet afterwards.LOL I enjoyed the Mexican and the Italian Rest's as well as the Royal Rest's.

The pool and spa area was nice. I am a beach bum so that is where I spent most of my time. The Royal beach was never crowded and my group was always able to find chairs. It was about a 2 to 3 minute walk to the beach from Building 46. Building 46 is the building closest to the lobby.

People who love to Snorkel, When your on the beach, you'll see the breakers about 400 to 500 yards out and yes, you can literally walk out to the breakers in waist deep water, all the way from the beach. Just take some diving booties for the coral and look for the blue areas. While we were out, we saw about every kind of smaller fish I could imagine and one monster size stingray.

I never checked out the Entertainment, which was on the Non-adult side. I stuck my head in the casino once. Nothing to brag about there. A few tables and a bunch of slots.

The Construction; It will not be an issue. I never heard any construction at all. I spoke with the desk guy and he said the new section is due to open in late May or early June. It looks to have a couple new buildings for the suites and a new section for those who like the plunge pools on their balconies. A new pool as well and a new restaurant. Any questions, feel free to write.

If you have facebook, check out my photos. I have about 30 of them.
[--]

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
9  Thank jlmmlm
Reviewed 18 February 2009

My wife and I just returned from a week at the Royal Catalonia and couldn't have asked for a better week of rest and relaxation. Aside from Mother Nature not cooperating (4 days of rain) the resort was everything we were looking for in a week in the Caribbean. Rooms were spacious and clean and housekeeping staff were always present in the event that we needed anything. The grounds were immaculate and on the Royal side, there were always poolside and beach lounge chairs available. In the event that we forgot what it was like travelling with kids, we wandered over to the Catalonia side to remind ourselves of how heavenly it was to be in the adult only portion of the resort. The Thalassa, Mikado (Japanese) and Italian restaurants were our favourites. The Gran Caribe buffet restaurant was large enough that there never seemed to be a problem finding a table and the quality and selection of food was more than adequate to satisfy any palate. Crepes were amazing at the little shop in the Market area.
Again, as we experienced a little "liquid sunshine", we were unable to spend a lot of time at the beach, but were able to walk in beautiful white sand for over an hour in each direction from our resort.
What really made for a great holiday was the friendliness of ALL staff and their willingness to provide top notch service with an "Hola" and a smile. As the days went by, with help from various servers, we were even able to "master" a few Spanish phrases that always brought smiles.
The little "tokens" of Canada (flags, pins, pens) were always accepted with appreciation and we even noticed a couple of service vehicles running around with Canadian flags attached to the antenna!
In closing, we are extremely happy that we chose the Royal Catalonia as our destination and look forward to planning our next trip there.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple