My wife and I spent a week at the Royal side of Catalonia Bavaro. It was our first trip after having a child 18 months ago and it was exactly what we needed.
First - I would like to make a comment about Trip Advisor. This website is fantastic and I appreciate everyone who made comments about both sides of this resort. I checked the website daily for reviews. Everyone was valuable and gave us important information.
Check In - Went fine. I did not tell the cabbie Royal so he brought me to the regular side first. Once they realized they wisked us over in a gold cart. Only negative part was there were 4 really drunks gays arguing with the front desk at the regular side. The mood was much better at the Royal Side. They gave us a cold drink and we ate lunch while our room was prepared.
Rooms - The room was very nice. Bigger than it needed and everything worked fine. The fridge did not make things extremely cold, but I would just grab a bucket of ice daily at the bar. The tub was huge. I really liked the hammock on the deck.
Beach - The best sand that I have ever felt. It was beautiful. Yes, there is seaweed. If this bothers you then seek professional help. Every morning I would walk to the beach around 8 while my wife slept in. I read a book, claimed my thatched hut and took an early morning nap. This was my routine but it was not necessary. The royal side had double the amount of huts. We became friends with a great couple from Virgina. Every day we shared the hut. The beach bar was great. Carlos would even come around with real coconuts filled with your drink of choice. If you want a snack it is a short work to the snack bar at the regular side of the resort.
Pool - I also loved the Royal pool. We would spend our late afternoons at the pool for a little more energy and drinks at the pool bar. We went to regular pool once but even though it was much larger it had too many people for us. Our pool was the perfect blend of laughter and mature people.
Food - We did make all of our reservations on the first day.
Thalasia - On the royal side. FANTASTIC. We ate lunches there daily. AMAZING. Lunch was the best. It was a different daily menu. Every time we ate lunch somewhere else we regretted it. We had dinner there twice and it was a great experience. One night we did not have a reservation and we walked right in. One night the lobster tasted bad and the waiter had another meal quickly made for us.
Steakhouse - Really good. Yes it is has cheesy decorations, but so does Outback. Food was very good and the steaks were a good alternative to the more exotic food.
Mexican - Really good as well. For $3 I bought a Corona.
Italian - We did not go because we had heard so many complaints about the temperature inside.
Japanese - Did not like at all. The food was not good. Very salty. Bad service. They also placed us with one large family that spoke a different language than us. This made for an awkward experience.
Buffet's - We did not like at all. When you compare them to Thalasia you would be crazy to eat there.
Snack Bar - Good for a snack. Yes the pizza is good.
Day Time Activities - Our goal was to relax so we spend the day at the beach, long lunches and pool.
Night Time Activities - Shows were fun. They only one I did not like was the fashion show, it was just a sales pitch. They are worth going to every night overall. Disco was fun when the crowd got there. We only went twice. After the shows we would have drinks and conversations at the piano bar with the friends we made. The beach party was impressive. Show up early to get a good table. Casino was not worth it.
Some hints -
* Bring $100 in ones for tips.
* Bring plenty of sunscreen. Very expensive in the store.
* We have a small child so we called home to the States daily. Do not buy a phone card. They double charge you. It is better just call directly.
* Make your dinner reservations the first day you get there.
* I brought my laptop and had internet in the room!
Have a great trip!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the authentic Caribbean at an exclusive, adults-only resort. Its small details make big your stay and the personalized service you receive will make you feel as if you were in heaven. Exclusive suites, innovative restaurants, dreamlike swimming pools…relax in this tropical paradise and enjoy the best vacation you’ve ever had. Have an extraordinary experience, and leave the worrying to us; we’ll take care of you ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Prestigia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Catalonia Royal Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Hotel Punta Cana
- Catalonia Royal Bavaro Punta Cana
- Royal Catalonia Bavaro