“Fantastic trip!”

Catalonia Royal Bavaro
Ranked #49 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 January 2011

We stayed at Catalonia Royal from January 6 until January 13 and it was fantastic! We have stayed at many differen't resorts, all with 4-5 star ratings and this one was by far my favourite. The great service started as soon as we arrived. It was the most organized arrival I have ever seen. As soon as we walked in we were offered drinks and towels, they already had a package ready with all of the info that we needed and we were driven to our rooms with our luggage. They were very helpful in showing us were everything was. Everyone at the front desk were great! Throughout the week when you needed anything from them they went out of their way to be good to you. I like the size of the resort on the Royal side, it is very easy to figure out. The rooms were really nice and clean, they came with fresh fruit and rum for us after we got there. I have read on here about people complaining about the rooms smelling musty tad, but everywhere we go we have always run into that. It's not bad enough to bug you. I noticed it a bit when I got there, but not really after that. I was too taken back about how wonderful everything else is. The place was absolute paradise, I wouldn't concentrate on something as minor as that. There was waiters on the beach and by the pools, all very nice! We were there for a couple of days and then we got a free upgrade to one of the private condos/villas on the beach. Absolutely beautiful. When speaking with others, apparently they upgrade people for free all the time. I was very happy with my first room, but speechless with the villa. This resort has absolutely everything to offer. The royal side is nice and quiet with great service, and if you are looking for something fun, it's a short walk to the other side and they have shows, a casino, and lots of things to do down by the beach during the days. The staff is great, very friendly (more so on the Royal side we found) and if they didn't understand what you wanted, they went and found someone that could understand you. It was the nicest staff I have ever encountered. The food was okay, I am a very plain eater so I struggled a bit to find things on the menus that I could eat. But my husband loved the food. We too found the restaurants better on the Royal side. You could also get 24 hours a day free room service! My husband golfed everyday at the golf course and said it was great, very fast moving... getting through a round of 18 holes in 2 1/2- 3 hours usually! He said he didn't even really need to book a tee time! We will definitely go back again, it is a great place, you wont regret going there!

7  Thank CanadaMel_11
PuntaCanaCabezaToro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2011

Dear Guest,

I am truly delighted to read your very positive reviews of your recent stay and for rating your holiday with us as wonderful experience .

We take great pleasure in ensuring our guests expectations are exceeded and I am delighted to learn that we have been successful in doing so during your recent stay. Thank you for your kind acknowledgments of our service standards, the facilities and the atmosphere of our resort and the professionalism and attentiveness of our team who had helped in making your stay an exceptional and enjoyable experience.

I appreciate you for highly recommending our Hotel on Trip Advisor and for your superb rating of your experience. I certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our Resort in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Reviewed 12 January 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro. The hotel is beautiful, amazing grounds, great food selection, beautiful rooms, and wonderful, friendly, accommodating staff, especially the hostesses and bar tenders.

We would highly recommend this hotel.

We stayed 17 days during the month of December, 2010. Our room was in building 38, top floor; just beautiful. Loved the shower!!

The Christmas Eve Gala Dinner was amazing along with the rest of the festivities. Our stay was very relaxing, comfortable, no line-ups, no pressure and no schedules.

No complaints...except for maybe the smoking. There is a lot of smoking everywhere, even where there is designated ‘no-smoking’ signs/areas. Something that is bothersome, but it’s up to the ‘tourist(s)’ to be more courteous/respectful to others, especially at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thank you Hotel Catalonia Royal Bavaro for making our vacation a wonderful and relaxing one, and.... one of our best all-inclusive experience.

We will return!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CNDtrvlbug
Reviewed 12 January 2011

First of all I must say I was there from January 2-9th, with my 3 older children(21-24-27 yr olds) !! We booked 2 rooms in the Deluxe section. We were quite happy with our rooms, I know what people mean about the*famous musty smell*. When you are on the first floor facing the back, you are in the trees so its more humid. The kids didn't mind it at all, and it was more excotic. You are in a tropical climate not in a city. We LOVED the staff, I've read hundreds of reviews in the last months and sometimes was worried about our choice. I'm wondering who writes these things...???!!! Mmmmmm.... Anyway, we liked them all, a special word to Julio Morillos at the Thalassa who really made our stay special!The beach is beautiful, as others say, it can be a bit tricky to walk for long distances, because there are no hotels nearby so the sea weed picks up and you are pretty much alone. We spent alot of time with our masks and tubas(not allowed fins) looking at the fish nearby on the man made reef in front of the hotel. That was really fun! and you don't get to do that often at other places without reserving a trip.. etc. We were pretty happy to go out as often as we felt like without having to plan ahead of time. We LOVED the Royal side , so quiet and peaceful, and we did go over to the other side a few times. Lovely lobby over there! I thought my kids were going to be over there all the time but they really preffered our set up. Now here comes the killer!!!! After 4 days they called us to ask if we wouldn't *mind* changing rooms because they needed ours. They offered us the most beautiful suite of the house! What a treat! So we spent the last 3 days the 5 of us together in a suitedirectly on the beach. WOW !!!! If anyone is hestitating about getting a private suite with swimming pool, they are really fun! !! So if anyone has any questions , I'd be pleased to answer! Enjoy ,if you've planned going, go with an open mind,bring sunscreen and masks for scuba diving,and have a ball! Joanne

• Stayed: January 2011
9  Thank Joanne P

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review about Catalonia Royal Bavaro on Trip Advisor.

We are glad to read from your review that your stay with us was exceptional from start to finish.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Sincerely

Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed for a week Dec. 29 to Jan.5. The Royal side, adults only was just what we wanted. Quiet and relaxed. Was a very windy week with clouds in and out but that didn't stop us from walks on the beach and a great spot every day poolside. The food and restaurants were excellent. Thallasa, Tapas and SeaBlue were fabulous. We went to the Rodeo Steakhouse on the other side once and were not nearly as impressed. You pay more for the Royal side and the differences are vast. Our room was the deluxe junior suite and they are newer and closest to the beach. Lovely room, the cleaning was great, everything done, replenished, The staff are fabulous, they treated us like royalty and I can't say enough about them. Roberto, the bartender in the piano bar is wonderful as are pretty much all the others. We will be going back! Any questions, feel free to email at kkport@hotmail.com

8  Thank kkport
PuntaCanaCabezaToro, General Manager at Catalonia Royal Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro.

Thank you for your very positive feedback in relation to the associates at the resort and thank you also for recommending our hotel to the other travelers.

We do hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Bavaro.

Reviewed 8 January 2011

My husband and I just returned from another wonderful stay at the Catalonia Royal Bavaro. We have stayed at this resort 8 to 10 different times! (I have posted reviews here on TripAdvisor before as well).

The resort is still well-maintained and clean, and as always, the restaurant staff smiling and ready to make our meals pleasurable. We want to particuarly recognize the two lovely ladies in the morning who greet and seat us (hostesses; shame on me for not getting their names so I could mention them here) and Jenny, a server we first met several years ago.

We were disappointed in the Thalassa lunch menu (very limited; 4 entrees, two of which were Veal), but fortunately, we had a nice alternative in the Sea Blue "deli" restaurant. Sea Blue, Tapas, the second swimming pool, and the "condos" with the private pools were still being built on our last visit; this part of the resort is especially beautiful. The pool bar by the Thalassa and lobby side did not appeal to us as much as before so we spent most of our time at the pool by the Sea Blue. (I walked to the lobby a few times and rap music was playing each time I walked by the pool that's closest to the Thalassa and lobby).

Since our visit was only 4 nights, we ate at Thalassa, the Italian (on the non-Royal side), and the Tapas restaurants. I was not very excited about the Tapas when I saw the menu and made my selection, but it turned out to be a very nice meal.

We were sorry to find out that Bacilio (Lobby bar bartender) and Rafael (breakfast server) are no longer with the resort. We had brought gifts for them, and for Victor... who we were told would be returning but we never did see him during this stay.

The room was spacious and much nicer than the rooms we stayed in previously. (We stayed in one of the newer buildings; room 3803). No problems with having hot water this time!

We are planning to return again in May (2011). We only wish the hotel management would respond to emails (we emailed them at the address provided on the resort's web site, but got no response).

Would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking, not for a "5 star hotel", but a smaller, nice resort, full of nice people, well worth the lower prices.

P.S. The people are nicest when YOU are nice to them! Attempt to learn some of their language (they will even help you!).

3  Thank DianaMoonTownship
Reviewed 8 January 2011

We have decided to write a review in response to some of the negative reviews we have just read. This hotel has excellent facilities, sumptuous rooms(non smelly) with excellent decor and quality fittings. The pools and grounds are superb and the staff are professional, well trained and very friendly. We found the food and service to be first class and the restuarants are well appointed and all are air conditioned with waiter service. The gym could be upgraded with more modern aerobic equipment but the rest of the hotel is excellent. It is adult only and focuses on total relaxation; night life and activities are however available at its sister hotel on the same site. Little services like free internet and transportataion around the whole complex are welcome services. We enjoyed ourselves so much we are returning this summer for three weeks.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TGJ25

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review about Catalonia Royal Bavaro on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the next summer.

Sincerly,

Reviewed 8 January 2011

I have just returned after a 2 week holiday here. We stayed in a Deluxe suite which I felt was very impressive. Large spacious rooms, one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on and very clean. The swimming pools and beach are glorious, no complaints there. The staff are amazing, so friendly, warm and try very hard to please. (Special thanks to Kenia, Manuel and Shomby in the main restaurant). The only people that seemed unfriendly and unhelpful were the staff behind the reception desk and the lady on concierge so I would suggest the management team address this and invest in some training there.
The food was a bit hit and miss. The main restaurant next to reception was the best so we mostly ate there. The Italian restaurant at the hotel next door was also good so I recommend trying there. Avoid The Sea Blue, lovely setting next to the beach but the food tastes old and stale, also avoid the "Tapas" restaurant next door. The food there looks more like sushi, definitely NOT anything like the tapas I know and love in Spain, and like the Sea Blue the food tasted old and stale, but also a lovely setting next to the fountains so I would strongly urge the management team to review the food they serve at these two restaurants and then I feel it would be a 5 star hotel.
Finally, this hotel offers peace and tranquillity but if you want some noise and lively entertainment you just have to walk next door to the sister hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
#39 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Catalonia Royal Bavaro? Share your experiences!