“Birthday Celebration”

Ranked #63 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Detroit, Michigan
“Birthday Celebration”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Christopher (our personal dance party), Clairassa (my family), and Angelo(great bartendar) made my birthday celebration wonderful. This was an all girls birthday celebration and my girls and I had a wonderful time with the help of those three individuals. If the other staff people could be like these three, I would have scored higher. Our rep from Island Sun Jehison was wonderful after a mix-up upon our arrival to the wrong hotel, He made our trip much better. I was very surprised that I had a birthday banner on my door which was a great touch. The food, drinks where the best. It was my first trip to the country and resort. The beach was breath taking. The room I had was an ocean view in there new part. Eventhough the first day was no hot water, but I spoke with Jehison and the next day and the rest of the trip was hot water. Room service was good. Not a 5 star hotel, but with the three employee who made my trip worth while made it a 5 star. Be prepared to have rude European at the hotel, restaurants. Over look them and keep a smile on your face and have some drinks. Be prepared to travel to the hotel it is not in Punta Cana, but once you get there. I would come back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear Jacqueline,
First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the online community.
We would like to thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff, and especially the named Team members, our food and also for pointing out the beauty of our beach.
We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your visit.
Warm regards,
Sandy Pfeil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,230)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from our 12th trip to this wonderful hotel. Please do not listen to the bad reviews. This hotel and staff are amazing, we return year after year because the staff make our holiday. The themed restaurants are really good especially the Japanese ( our favourite ). The premium club staff Rosa, Angela and Jessica are the best they can't do enough for their guests. Give this hotel a try. I'm sure you will fall in love with it as we have....

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elaine M
barcelopc, Manager at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Elaine,
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Barcelo Punta Cana.
We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.
Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to have provided you a great time, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.
We are looking forward to welcoming you once again and continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.
Best regards,
Gulf of Papagayo, Costa Rica
Reviewed 19 November 2013

If I NEVER have to stay at another Barcelo, I will be more than pleased with that!
This is my third and last attempt, as each one is lacking effort and quality. Punta Cana being the worst, then Puerto Vallarta, then San Andreas.

I feel bad for the staff in Punta Cana as the quality of people that come here have absolutely NO manners, and their vocabulary does not include Please, or Thank you. Therefore, everyone gets the same cold shoulder when ordering a drink, or anything service oriented, unless of course you dig into your pocket for a tip. Which I highly recommend if you want to make your trip a more pleasurable one.

Every time I walked by the front desk, someone was complaining about something. Again, not the fault of the staff, but poor management, and owners. The Dominican people are beautiful and friendly people. It is unfortunate they have to try to make up for what the hotel lacks. I had the opportunity to get a day pass to Hard Rock Hotel just down the beach, and if you get that chance, Be sure to take it so you can see what a vacation REALLY looks like! Night and day in service, happiness, FOOD, decor, and vacationers! Yes, it is 3 times the price, but I'm thinking it may be worth it , and save you the frustration of a crappy vacation that you looked forward to all year!

Back at BarHELLo, I met a lovely couple from New York that LOVE the Barcelo, and in fact are VIPs of the hotel, whatever that means. She also informed me that she was sick the day before and in bed all day. Her words..."I get sick every time I come here, it's nothing new" . Really??? I was speechless. The feeding frenzy at the buffets is disgusting. I had arms reach over my arm to get to the pasta salad, in case I didn't leave them any I guess! People! Are you THAT hungry? Cattle have better manners. All I can say is thank god for the sit down dinners at night.

On a good note....beautiful beach and rooms are pretty comfortable. If you get a screaming kid in the room next door, I suggest you move immediately. I made the mistake of thinking it would get better, and every morning had to endure a family of four getting ready for breakfast, and every evening crying because it was bedtime. I felt like they were in MY room. Walls are paper thin.

As for the spa, don't waste your time. Waste of money.

For a cheap family vacation, this may be right up your alley. But, you get what you pay for, and I hope your not a foodie. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dalecandy
Dear Guest,
First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.
We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Barcelo Punta Cana to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us
We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Warm regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel last year. The setting and beach is beautiful. Staff very nice but I didn't love the hotel. It is huge and divided into a few blocks, try stay in the newest one! We stayed for two weeks so dined in all restaurants in resort. The Japanese was my favorite but overall the food was very average. I didn't look forward to dining while here. The drinks weren't great either. At the weekends the resort is open to locals and it's very busy and not easy getting a sunbed or towel. It's not a bad place but I won't be returning.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for having chosen Barcelo Punta Cana as your holiday destination.
We want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable to us. For this reason, your comments are taken with special consideration as they help us identifying our improvement areas, giving us the opportunity to correct them, and thus achieve to offer our guests a service of the highest quality.
We look forward to welcoming you on a future occasion, in this way show our commitment for service and customer satisfaction, and quality assurance stamp of our family Barceló Hotels & Resorts.
Sincerely
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This was my 4th visit to Punta Cana and 1st time to this hotel. It was my worst experience ever!!!

The BAD stuff:
LOCALS:
-they allow locals into the resort which I have never seen in other resorts. So be prepared to see all kind of crazy local kids yelling/running/splashing around the pools and long line ups of locals while you wait for your food
-groups of local kids come to distract you while others steal your stuff. My wife's iPhone 5 was stolen!!!

ROOM:
-stayed in building 4
-tiny room with old outdated furniture and a small crappy old tv
-room smelled like urine. All pillows smelled. Urine smell from closet.
Bathroom was leaking and very dirty. I told them to fix it they sent a guy but it still leaked.
-sheets and towels had dirt stains on them

FOOD/SERVICE:
-80% of the food wasn't good. It was all disgusting looking and no one touched it, just are other 20% of good stuff or the specialty made stuff.
-SHORT STAFFED. Especially on weekends when the local hordes attack! We would be done eating sometimes before they brought coffee for breakfast or drink for dinner. Most people just get

THE GOOD STUFF:
-Amazing location!!! If you like a good clean ocean with nice waves and white sand then it's perfect.
-two big pools. One with pool bar if you like music and partying and one quiet one for relaxing on other side
-nice kids pool with slides. Kid must be at least 3 to enjoy or else still dangerous for my 2 year old since not that shallow.
-some new building ocean view rooms have amazing ocean view. I couldn't upgrade due to our double baby stroller not fitting in tiny elevator entrance.
-bars were great. Many of them and not too busy.
-good wifi. We had it in room too!

From my experience I would recommend Grand Palladium or Iberostar instead of this crappy resort.

Room Tip: Not building 4!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank AssyrianGuy
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Barcelo Punta Cana at Tripadvisor.
We are very so sad to read that we couldn’t fill your expectations regarding our hotel. We always try to keep our quality service, in order to satisfy the needs and expectations of all our guests.
We take all guest feedback very seriously; therefore we appreciate all your comments and will ensure that those are worked on.
Thank you to give us your honest point of view about our hotel. On behalf of the entire Barcelo Punta Cana staff, please accept our apologize.
Kind regards
Michigan
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Dream vacation. Was scheduled to go diving but 6-7 ft waves changed those plans for 5 full days. The beach is pure sand and the food tasty.

Played Bocchi Ball for the first time watched young European women go topless in the blue water. What could be better, although' I did miss scuba diving.

The food was endless. I will return in a year or so.

The local village ius safe and I took a taxi there to shop and look arpund

Room Tip: Any room with an ocean view is perfect.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Allen A
Dear Guest,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Punta Cana for your holidays. It was a pleasure to have you with us, Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are looking forward to welcome you back at Barcelo Punta Cana in the future.
With best regards,
Dominican Republic
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is amazing, has a good pool, good hospitality, excellent food, good bars, restaurants a la carte restaurant mainly Japanese. very comfortable rooms. the show very good and has a good atmosphere. remember to ask the royal plan for a better experience. this hotel is good and great for the family.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Folke,
Thank you for choosing Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you spent sharing your review with other travelers on Tripadvisor.com.
In the name of our entire staff, we thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff. We certainly hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, thus giving us another chance not only to comply with, but to exceed your highest expectations.
Please do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,