“THE "COMPANY" OUT OF THIS WORLD, HOTEL - AVERAGE AT BEST”
Review of Occidental Caribe

Occidental Caribe
Ranked #63 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Moncton, Canada
“THE "COMPANY" OUT OF THIS WORLD, HOTEL - AVERAGE AT BEST”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I just returned on April 26th, 2014 from a one week vacation at the Barcelo, Punta Cana.
First of all I would like to say, the 10 women I vacationed with are the people who made this vacation exceptional! I traveled from New Brunswick with 10 women friends, and without saying, I can't remember a better time! The beach was beautiful and the water, amazing, so beautiful.

The downside of this hotel (to me) is that it is very outdated. The grounds are really beautiful and you can tell at one time, this must have been an amazing place. However, like anything else, if not kept up, it gets run down, and this is exactly my opinion of this place. The food at the buffet is (in my opinion) not very good at all. I ate donuts every morning with a slice of bread with peanut butter. This is all I could take. The dinner restaurants in the evening were good. The Japanese is by far the best!.

When we first arrived we were given a room that really, "should have been closed down, until renovations made to it". After I complained to front desk, they did move us into another "acceptable room" the next day. That was a good thing.

Remember to bring bug spray with you, as well as Claritin, and Calamine lotion. The bugs ate from my knee caps down to my feet, that when I got off the plane I had to go to the Emergency Room of the hospital, and a doctor saw me and gave me an oral antibotic to take x 10 days plus a cream antibotic to also put on the sores. I have traveled down south for many years, and I must say this is the first time I ever encountered such bad bugs. Other people tell me this can happen anywhere, so I guess this was a first for me.

The staff were all very nice and I must say "hard working people", and they always had a smile on their face, so nice to see. I also met some wonderful people from Halifax. I don't know if they feel same! (lol) My roommate and I probably scared them half to death when we accidently tried to open up their room with our card! We were shocked and so were they when they opened the door. However, being from the Maritimes, they were wonderful people and forgave us for OUR mistake. We did apologize and all week long when we would see them, we had a great laugh.
Would I go to this hotel again. "NO" - but because of the group of women I was with, I have to say, I have only good memories of this trip.

Without hurrying my life away, "come-on April 2015"!

Room Tip: I was told Sections 1, 2 and 3 were the best sections to be into because it is the new section. Sec...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brenda D
barcelopc, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.

We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taken into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Barcelo Punta Cana to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us

We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.

Warm regards,

General Manager at Barceló Punta Cana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,230)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel itself was not too bad. We liked the lay out and the beach was beautiful. However, when we checked in, we were met with rude staff and a very unorganized check in. My family and I travel somewhere hot at least twice a year so we know what to expect. The food was average (except the japanese, it was amazing) but the service was horrible at all meals of the day. No one came to ask if we wanted water or coffee and the same for the evenings. We stayed for 7 nights and not once did i feel comfortable tipping for a meal. The cleaning staff however, were very nice! The entertainment at night was pretty good but the casino is very sketchy. After we were there for 5 days, my husband went to our tv and tried to move it to fix it because it wasn't working properly... The tv ended up falling and breaking. We went to front desk to ask them what we should do but no one spoke english so we decided to call the west jet vacations when we got back to Canada. However, when we checked out, we were waiting for our shuttle when we realized front desk was looking for us. We went to speak with them and fully expected to pay for a tv. They had 3 security guards standing there that made us feel like criminals and the front desk manager told us we had to pay $1,000.00 for the tv!!! This tv was only worth about $400 brand new not to mention is was about ten years old. but we had no choice but to pay it in order to leave the hotel and catch our flight. We would not recommend this hotel simply because of the rude and unwelcoming staff along with the bad food. Hope this helps someone decide on a better hotel than this one :)

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room! Most of the elevators were always broken so choose one close to the ground!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Meghan T
barcelopc, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest greetings from Barceló Punta Cana. Thank you very much for sending along your feedback, as we take all comments conveyed through this forum very serious as part of our improvement process to provide all our guests with the best service possible. It is very disappointing to know that we were not able to fulfill your expectation. Rest assured this has been revised with the management in order to be improved and prevent any further occurrence.

Barceló and its team are working very hard to improve our service on the daily basis.
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit.
We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

Best regards,

Whippany, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Travelled to the DR to celebrate turning 50. Our stay was April 12 - 18. We chose the Barcelo Punta Cana based on the size of the resort and the price. First I want to say the Barcelo has a beautiful beach. We woke up early every morning to save chairs as their were 8 in our group. This was necessary as most chairs were taken by 8 a.m. Getting towels at the resort was very difficult, never seemed to be enough. Next the pool and entertainment staff were very nice and friendly. The weather was also beautiful every day. Unfortunately there were a number of negatives with staying here. The room we were given 5213 was substandard. The lights did not work, air conditioning was very poor (barely cooled our room) and the furniture was old and the drawers did not work properly. Housekeeping did not provide us with enough bath towels. The food was average at the buffet as well as the specialty restaurants. We had a difficult time making reservations to eat in the specialty restaurants. We were told they were booked for the week. This was not true. We also tried to make a reservation at the pizza restaurant which was opened at lunch time but was told the pizza ovens were broken and that it was closed all week. This was not true. The hospitality staff and front desk did not try to accommodate any requests we made. We were overlooked constantly so that they could help the spanish speaking guests. The alcoholic drinks were terrible. The alcohol is definitely bottom shelf and and it was evident in any drink you order. They also could not make a frozen drink. The best you received was ice cubes in your drink. This was a big disappointment. We paid to have dinner on the beach one evening lobster tail and filet mignon. It was $35.00 pp. Don't bother not worth the cost. The food was not good and the service was terrible. The night time shows were ok. The casino was extremely small. We were told by our transfer agent now to play any of the table games....you will not win! We chose to take a cab ride next door to the Hard Rock Hotel to use their casino. I would go back to Punta Cana again, but unforunately would not return to the Barcelo Punta Cana

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank gdanderson64
barcelopc, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Punta Cana for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
We would like to highlight that our main interest is to assure our guests’ satisfaction and we regret very much that we could not fulfill your expectations this time. We can assure you that our guests’ opinions are studied carefully enough.
We have taken note of your comments and please allow us to inform you that we are developing several improvements projects.

We are looking forward to have the opportunity to serve you and most importantly be able to change your perception and regain your trust in our brand.

Kind regards,

Director Barceló Punta Cana
Scotland
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My first experience at this hotel was 2008 it was a great family holiday,plenty to keep kids busy and great staff always willing to help.Second time was in 2012 better this time kids now in their teens and able to look after themselves.Beach is out of this world restaurants are fantastic and staff are great and easy to get on with even with my Scottish accent.
Anyway I have booked to return this year again for three weeks with my family in July so hope the weather is good,and the food and drink is better.

Room Tip: We stayed in different blocks bottom corner next to fountain nice cool room,second time room above j...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank paulver
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I read ALOT of reviews before we left and was a mix so I went in with a open mind. We were in block 3 floor 3 with ocean front room. View was great. Everything in our room worked but was nothing fancy about it. Then again we were just there to sleep and get ready. Housekeeping was super friendly but didn't always replenish everything but if asked they always gave.
Service was decent but varied by person. We found if we tipped the service stayed the same. If you like what they are doing then tip but don't expect more by giving them a few $$ here or there.
Pools close down at 7pm. I hated that and was a big deal for me as other resorts let you swim or use jaccusi until late. The floor of swim up bar is in desperate need of repair and they need to find a solution to getting drink cups out of the water. We really enjoyed the other pool where there are chairs in the water. Highly recommend that section.
The ocean and sand was amazing!! We boogie boarded a few times, free water sports, it was a lot of fun.
There was a total of 8 of us and we got pictures done by Hector. He was a great photographer, friendly and talented. You can negotiate a better price.
Food was NOT good. They did have many creative ways of making hot dogs. We were bracing for this (read the reviews) once we found something ok we stuck with that. Fruit was a hit or miss depending on day and place you got it from. The burgers and fries were good. Good options for late night snaking. The Japanese a la carte was entertaining and delicious! We went twice. The Italian had great soup but hated the lasagna but others in my group loved it. The Dominican and French was nothing special at all.
The cleanliness was questionable. They had someone clean the entrance every day and it looked good. There was puke in a ashtray and was not cleaned up very fast. There was a area behind the door in our bathroom that had not been cleaned in a LONG time which made me think about what else had not been cleaned. My husband had a nose bleed one night and ran the pillow case and pillow under water to try and clean up as much as possible but did t get it all out. We left it out with the blood visible and they put the pillow case back on. We put the pillow to the side and a few days later they switched it out. We made up gift bags for housekeeping. Don't waste your time if you want to give them something, give them money. You have to fill out forms daily and dint seem interested in them.
Overall we had a great time but would not go back or recommend it to others.

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Stacers77
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Barcelo Punta Cana.
We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Barcelo Resorts as your holiday destination.
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for our guests.
Please feel sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to verify the points you mentioned.

Yours Sincerely,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed here from April 4-11th and where incredibly disappointed. We had NO HOT WATER half of the time, and NO TOWELS the whole time. Our room was above the kitchen and started clanging dishes WAKING US UP AT 530AM EVERY SINGLE DAY! Nobody seems to care and suddenly nobody understands english when there's an issue to be sorted out. I asked to speak to the manager and he peeked his head out and ducked back into the back room 4 times until I finally left without him talking to me about the issues we where having. I've stayed at other Barcelo resorts and been VERY happy. This should not be called a Barcelo. I feel like I've been robbed $3300 and a week of my life. Don't stay here.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Hotwheelers
Dear Guest,

We apologize again this was the outcome of your vacation; please know it was never our intention. Nevertheless, we hope to be able to welcome you to be able to serve you and turn this experience around and regain your trust in the Barceló Hotels & Resorts brand. For further comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

General Manger Barceló Punta Cana
New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I along with my parents returned from a 7 day vacation at the beginning of April 2014.
I had read many of the reviews for Barcelo Premium and knew what to except. I was not too concerned with the reviews since most negatives were minor irritants and I was pretty sure they were not ruin our vacation.
We traveled with Air Transat and had upgraded to the Prestige class, it was about 40$ per person and we got our money’s worth. This allowed us to stay in one of the newer building and gave us great perks at the airport and on the plane.
We quickly determined that this hotel was the best bang for your buck on this section of the beach. If you are looking to stay in a hotel that is comparable to the standards of Canadian hotels or that is a little less “party”, you may want to spend a little more money. This hotel was well priced and we got what we paid for.
The hotel was at a maximum capacity and that cause a few challenges. Some of the items that were included in our package were hard to receive due to the number of guests. Every day was a surprise to find out what housekeeping items you had and which ones were missing. (Facecloths, towels, hand towels…) As well my parents received a room in the middle of party central and were not able to move since no other room was available, that was a little of a disappointment.
The hotel is in need of some TLC. An example would be that upon our arrival we notified maintenance that our toilet handle was broken it would rotate all the way around, they came right up and told us that we needed to be gentle with it and only push down on it part way. Not a critical issue but it was an annoyance.
We had no issue with the food. We understand that food in other countries is very different. We tried some of items and other we passed on, but we did not lose any weight during our vacation  We really enjoyed the A la Carts, I’ve listed them in order of preference; Japanese, French, Seafood/BBQ, Mexican, Dominican. During lunch we really enjoyed the BBQ hut, Pizza place and the Mexican turned into a sit down restaurant with soup, sandwiches and other great food.
The hotel staff was great and they did the best they could with what they have to work with. I would strongly recommend learning Spanish. I know very little but it made things a lot easier, especially in the restaurants and with housekeeping.
I would however remind people to use their safe. We were rushing around one night getting ready for a reservation and I forgot to put my gold earrings in the safe. Of course this was the night that housekeeping brought us up the towels that we were missing, now I’m missing my earrings. Lesson learned….
We enjoyed our stay and did not let the little things get to us. We had plenty of sun and enjoyed the beach. We were looking for a vacation and that is what we got.
I hope this was helpful. Enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: Upgrade your room and try for building 2.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Heidi B
barcelopc, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Guest,

It’s our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome back again in any of our Hotels.

Kind regards,