“Terrible Honeymoon Experience”

Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Terrible Honeymoon Experience”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I went there for our honeymoon last year, May 13 - 20, 2013 and had a terrible experience! The Barcelo Hotels tend to have good ratings, but this one was dirty, had terrible customer service and the food selection was very limited. The first room that we were given was run down and looked NOTHING like the beautiful pictures that you see in their website. The air conditioning didn't work in the room (and it was really hot), the bathroom seemed dirty and there were ants in the bathroom counter and sink and to top everything else off the inside of the closets looked like they had not been cleaned in weeks. We waited for a couple of hours to try to see if any of these things could be fixed and in the meantime wasted our first afternoon. I eventually complained enough that they offered me another room which was better, but of course I had to pay about $100+ more per night. At this point in time I agreed since we were on our honeymoon and I just wanted to have a good time and we were exhausted. The cleanliness factor in the new room was much better, but every time I called anyone at this hotel to ask for anything it was a problem, not the way you expect to be treated at a 4 star property. The bathrooms by the main desk in the mornings were filthy, thrash was overflowing from the night before and quite frankly by 8:30am this should have been cleaned up. There was no flexibility with the restaurant reservations especially because two of the restaurants were also closed (limiting your food selection). If you booked a dinner time at one of the restaurants on your first day you were stuck. The food was ok, but the constant swarm of flies flying around was gross. They did give us a complimentary dinner on the beach for our honeymoon which was nice, but this was about the only decent thing they did during our entire stay. We did a couples massage at the Spa one rainy afternoon, this was ok but nothing incredible. The facilities looked a bit run down. Getting towels was also always a big hassle throughout our stay. Even on our last morning there, I went to ask the front desk for 2 dry clean beach towels, since we had left ours to dry on the balcony the night before and it had rained. The man kindly explained to me that it was not possible to get clean towels as the housekeeper had not arrived yet. Really? It was 8:00am and they seriously could not find me 2 towels? After I pushed back he finally said well let me see what I can do and eventually he did come up with two towels. Everything you asked for here took forever and was like pulling teeth. The Property Manager and staff could all care less about providing customer service, it's almost as if you are annoyance to them and they were doing you a favor. We will definitely never go back again, total waste of time and money! We did spend 1 glorious day at the Hard Rock Punta Cana which was AMAZING!! Great customer service, gorgeous rooms, outstanding food (we went to the Japanese Restaurant on the property), spa was beautiful, relaxing and impeccable, we will definitely go back to The Hardrock!.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank acatomi
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear guest,

Foremost we would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to post your review after having stayed with us at Barceló Punta Cana

First of all, we would like to apologize for any inconveniences that they may have experienced; we sincerely regret that, on this occasion, we were not able to fully meet their expectations

We truly regret all the shortcomings in the room. We have taken their concerns very seriously and have dealt with all ours managers in correcting theses service flaws that they highlighted in their feedback. We are sorry that we fell short of their expectations, but we are also happy for the feedback that they have provided us with to ensure these issues do not happen again

We apologize to regards to your comments concerning our towels service, we have informed our housekeeping manager about the issues and she will take the necessary actions to improve the services. We very much appreciate your comments, as it is through this medium that we are able to address guest issues and provide a high level of guest satisfaction.

Moreover, we deeply regret the impression that was carried of our room, food and service this is in no way the image we want to project, on the contrary to perceive our good services quality and a professional and friendly staff that always providing the service expected by our customers.

It is our sincere desire to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future to our resort again, so we can show that the situations described in your feedback does not correspond to our performance and service overall. We strongly believe that the next time putting our best efforts, we will be able to exceed your expectations, so that we can regain your confidence in our company.

We look forward to welcoming you on a future occasion, in this way show our commitment for service and customer satisfaction, and quality assurance stamp of our Barceló Hotels & Resorts family.

Kind regards.

General Manager at Barceló Punta Cana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Boulder City, Nevada
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed with two Dominican friends from July 16-July 22. Our room was average. No real problems. The beds were very comfortable. Water went out in the whole hotel one day. Food was good. Loved the Japanese Restaurant and the buffet was very satisfactory. Seemed to have to wait quite awhile to get water and drinks at the buffet. We all loved the Pizza restaurant. The pools are wonderful! Great kids pool... I was with a 7 year old who just loved it. Strong waves at the beach kept me from being in the Caribbean as much as I wanted to be. Entertainment nightly... fun.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Punta Cana for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain.
For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. I accept your feedback for continuous improvement in a future stay.

We feel proud and grateful for your nice comments about services and facilities in our property, your feedback will encourage us to continuous providing a high level customer service we believe our guests deserves.

We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I can never get enough of staying at this resort... I have visited here many times because truly it is a resort of: FUN, DANCE, RELAXATION, ROMANCE, CELEBRATION, EVENTS, BEAUTY, CHARACTER, FOOD, DRINKS and for us especially the staff (who have become extended family).
Each time we return - there is nothing more warming like walking into an area to see arms open, smiling faces (sometimes happy tears) to welcome your return. The staff has always been hard working and they make it their priority to accommodate any concerns you may have.
The grounds are breathtaking - and the ocean is beautiful! I have always enjoyed our stay...in fact I am returning again in February for a 6th visit. Last February when we arrived a few new faces had joined the Barceló Family (including a new Director) - we were just as pleased with our stay!
If you like dancing... there is a disco and beach tunes always playing - as well as in the Theatre when the show is on, one can dance at any given time.
Food is enjoyed - I love the Buffet as it allows a variety of food, but do try the other Restaurants as they too provide a wonderful meal and settings.
Weddings are AWESOME here...one couldn't ask for a more beautiful area to be married - your pictures will be treasured forever with one of the most beautiful beaches in the world! I have seen the wedding suite - it's fantastic!!!

If you have children - there is a children's "FUN POOL" - keeps the little ones playing for hours - there is also much room for you to set yourself up comfortably in provided loungers in the kids area - so you too are comfortable.
The two other pools - well...both beautiful...one with a swim up bar or a bar where you can party all day in the water (but don't forget to get out to go pee...lol) and another bar just within feet of the other pool.

Again...I can't wait to return - there is a handful of us returning visitors (who have met each other here over the years) - making this location better and better each time we return! Thank you Management, staff and all for making this our home away from home!

Shay & Geoff

Room Tip: Many have suggested Block 3 is a good location (I understand this is a renovated area) I have always...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thanks for your positives commentaries; is a pleasure to us to know that you have had a really good time in our hotel; we hope you visit again Barcelo Punta Cana to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one.
We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff, specially to Jesse .

We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you here again at your Home away from Home Barcelo Punta Cana.

Kind regards,

West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The place was good. I travelled with with family and friends and good times during our stay. Customer service was ok, they helped us to have our rooms closer and on the same building. The view was great, it was the first resort to have the view of the swimming pool and we liked. The rooms were clean and neat. We enjoyed the food at the buffet. The food was good, after all it is a buffet restaurant and since I am not fanatic of these a la carte restaurant, I admit that the food was enjoyable for us at the buffet. The swimming pools were great, specially the one located at the left side, not the main one. My kids loved the children pools. The beach was excellent. The one thing that we disliked was the animation crew, they perfomed poor shows, specially the Disney Show, we got so boring that we left before the show end. they does not encorage the public, they just do the show and that's it. In summary we have a good times and feel sastified with the stay. I got just what I paid for. It is good idea to make the reservation using their website months before to get good prices and discounts specially if you register at Barcelo.com. I saw many bad reviews of this resort before arrival , but everybody does not think the same. The only thing I did was to be positive, that's all. That's the only sugestion I give to people who rely of what the reviews said good or bad about any Resorts Hotel like this.

Room Tip: Best rooms are the one located on the main building specially the 4th floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barcelo Punta Cana for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.

Please be sure that your observations are taken into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.
We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Barcelo Punta Cana to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.

Warm regards,

New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Another excellent stay at Barcelo Punta Cana! This was our 8th visit to Barcelo and like always it never disappoints. They invite returning guest to a Lobster Gala Dinner. A very nice touch that makes you feel special, they gifted a souvenir, and the tasty lobster makes it even better. The service was excellent in all aspects from months prior to stepping onto the hotel until the very moment we checked out. The rooms were clean and re-stocked daily. The food was great. We love having the traditional dominican food available. It was delicious. The only suggestion would be to have all the restaurants equipped with better air conditioners. With the exception of El Conuco and Roma which are fully air conditioned restaurants, the rest ranged from being warm to somewhat hot. (specially our favorite Tokyo where the air conditioner is barely felt) It's to be expected when in the Caribbean but better AC's would be great. The heat in the Taino Teatro was a bit too much this time. I wish they would just add huge ceiling fans like the airport. It would help greatly during the summer months. The disco made up for it were the air conditioner works great and the music selection was was very good. Thank you, to all the hard working staff of Barcelo Punta Cana! Can't wait for our next visit.

Room Tip: Choose building 1, 2 or 3
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MJ J
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Barceló Punta Cana, we appreciate your trust in our services, we were delighted to see you back for your 8th visit. It’s always a pleasure to confirm our staff provided a pleasant and efficient service during your stay; we make sure to congratulate them on your behalf.

We are looking forward to welcome you back again and remain at your entire disposition for further assistance before your next visit.

With kindest regards,

General Manager Barceló Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I would like to let you all know that I had my worst experience at the Barcelo Punta Cana. We chose this hotel for our holidays because we had a great experience last year at the Barcelo Atenea Mar were we stayed for a week. What was wrong this time was the fact that the Barcelo Punta Cana doesn't pay any attention to what a four star hotel should be in terms of cleanest, service and food selection. At the check in the reservation did not appear on the system and after a long trip with a 4 years old we had to wait for several hours at the hottest reception lobby. The room was smelling and the bathroom dirty and reallly outdated, the bed every day dirty, never enough towels and on the weekend gets really crowded by locals I believe because they have to sell the rooms left at a low price but yet we as canadians end up paying premium. The food choice is bread or bread and full of bugs (flies and bees, very disgusting) and for the five restaurants "a la carte" two of them were closed and for the other ones they get full pretty early and you get to chose from three options. DON'T WASTE YOUR HOLYDAYS/MONEY at the Barcelo Punta Cana.

Room Tip: For the money you have to pay to get a "better room" you better pick another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrea A
Dear guest,

First of all we wish to express our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have encountered. Our ultimate aim is to provide service excellence; our guests’ feedback shifts our focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist throughout our Resort and helps us improve the quality of our services and facilities.

We very much lament any inconveniences that our you may have experienced during your stay with. We are very concern with all the mentioned issues, therefore we have taken your comments seriously and have dealt with our managers in correcting all these service flaws that you have highlighted in your comments ensuring that these problems do not happen again. We are sorry that we fell short of your expectations.

We truly appreciate the letter and all the information shared. It is a pity though that we did not have the opportunity to meet with you while you were at the resort, so that we could have taken proper actions sooner and so avoid your disappointment. It would have been a pleasure to sit with you and discuss each of the valued comments that you have given.

It is our sincere desire to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future to our resort again, so we can show that the situations described in your letter does not correspond to our performance and service overall. We strongly believe that the next time putting our best efforts, we will be able to exceed your expectations, so that we can regain your confidence in our company

Warm regards.

General Manager Barceló Punta Cana
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Barcelo Punta Cana from july 20th to the 24th for our honeymoon. We received an awsome customer service!!! Specially from Julio Caraballo, what a man!!! He made sure we were ok, booked our meals at the restaurants and more. Food, music and noise were shut down by 11pm and that worked for us since we needed some quiet time to rest.

Food was very good (exept the french restaurant), staff very friendly, drinks were awsome, no problem with towels or chairs at the pool or beach.

Something they can upgrade:

Fans at the theatre (so hot!!).

They had "dress code" wish we followed, but for others that didnt exist. And we had to return to our room to change twice.

Also need to have a snack bar or pizzeria open until late for all the people that
like to eat after 11pm.

We recomend this resort. We will be back!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Marcos C, Director General at Occidental Caribe, responded to this review, 2 August 2014

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Occidental Caribe? Share your experiences!