“Memorable 5th Anniversary”

Ranked #3 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Medford, New Jersey
“Memorable 5th Anniversary”
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Let me start this review by thanking Michael McHugh at Dream Makers Vacation Services. I came across his name on this website and contacting him was the best thing I’ve ever done. I simply told him what we like to do as a couple and he recommended Zoëtry Agua. What a perfect match! It was exactly what we were looking for! He was patient and understanding when I attempted to change my trip due to a death in my family. He was right there for me, checking on us while we were there.

Everything you see in the pictures is accurate. The room was beautiful, definitely “rustic elegance” as another reviewer stated. We originally booked the Taino suite but were upgraded to a Junior Suite King with direct access to the pool thanks to the staff and our TA Michael McHugh. The staff at Zoëtry are amazing and make an effort to ensure every second of your vacation is pleasurable and memorable.Gregory and Benjamin were great bartenders. Juan makes you feel right at home in the restaurants. Francisco and Fernando go out of their way to make your dining experience the best it can be. Daniella made us feel very welcome. There are activities if you are interested. I enjoyed my Spanish classes and dance lessons with Vladimir. If I could thank each and every staff member of the resort I would b/c they are all just that wonderful to everyone.

We could not have spent our 5th anniversary in a more special place. It was truly romantic; from the candlelight dinner, to the rose pedals on the bed, to the drawn bubble bath.

Tips: Remember you have to pay $10.00 cash per person to enter DR at the airport upon arrival (the line was held up by many ppl who did not know this and were frantically asking for an ATM)
-Take advantage of room service. Nothing like breakfast in your room or on your patio.
-If you have a problem or issue, do not wait until you return home to complain. If you let the staff know, they will go above and beyond to fix it.
-We did the helicopter ride and it was great. Just remember you also have to pay an additional fee to have your bags transported separately.

3 Thank Vanntastic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Our group of 18 people visited Zoetry Agua for 6 days that just flew by! The resort itself is a gem! The ambience is incredible and the beautiful smiles from the employees make your visit a one of a kind.
The rooms are spacious, with beautiful furniture, amazing bathrooms, and showers you don't want to step out of!!
We enjoyed our days by meditating every morning in the beautiful palapa on the beach, practicing yoga twice a day, and not getting enough of the amazing lounge chairs in between! We would forget ourselves by the pool or on the beach, and only getting up because you could not pass up on the incredible cuisine they were serving at the various locations throughout the resort. The food is delicious, and beautifully displayed - we took multiple pictures of the meals we got served (and their desserts are so yummy!).
The spa is what I still dream of... deep tissue massage, couples massage, the sauna, it all was exactly what our bodies needed!
But foremost, what makes Zoetry Agua so special, so magical, is all the beautiful people working there... Their happiness, kindness, and generosity make you feel special, wanted, and loved. They all have a very special place in my heart and I can't wait to visit them all again - December 2011, here we come!!!

P.S. Once you visit , it's hard to not go back... they do tell you it's your home away from home... paradise!

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank DimitraYoga
Essex
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I am a travel agent but this was a personal trip and I am so pleased that Zoetry was one of the properties I chose to stay at. I will certainly be talking to my clients about it.

I travelled with my 25 year old daughter and was a little concerned that the hotel would be all couples and a little too romantic for mother and daughter ! And yes, it is a wonderfully romantic and beautiful property but it is perfect for friends or couples.

The place was totally relaxing and serene with beautiful gardens, thatched accommodation with either views of the gardens and the lazy river pool, or the beach.

For such a small hotel there is a great choice of restaurants - all a la carte in the evening and in fact every meal was a la carte, including breakfast. I thought the food was excellent here, as was the service. Yes, not all the staff speak perfect English ... but they try their best and are so helpful.

In fact ALL the staff here were just so lovely, it really made you feel so special and comfortable.

Don't come here if you want lively entertainment in the evening, but if you are happy to sit at the bar after the dinner, and enjoy a local band, then this is for you.

I think the place is magical and a perfect retreat from our busy lives.

2 Thank Karen54Essex
East Montpleier VT
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We stayed at the Zoetry for a week, and it was so wonderfully relaxing. It's very quiet and the perfect place to get away from it all. The food was delicious, and everyone was so nice!

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 21 March 2011

My wife and I arrived in the Dominican Republic for our honeymoon on March 13, 2010. We apparently arrived at the airport with the hordes of spring breakers and were greeted by long lines at the arrival gate. It took us nearly an hour to get through immigration, which I found out later was very rare. Most of the people we spoke to at the hotel swiftly moved through the airport in a little over 15 min. After a clambering over people to get through immigration we found our private transfer service waiting to take us to paradise. One word of caution, Dominican drivers are NUTS. The drive to the resort was harrowing hour-long thrill ride to say the least. There are traffic signs, but who knows why they are even put up. We sped down a poorly maintained road passing lines of traffic and tour buses on blind curves and swerved wildly several times to miss head on collisions. Needless to say when we finally arrived at Zoetry we were a little on edge, but this was not to last.

The first words you will hear upon arrival to Zoetry are “welcome home,” and that’s just what it feels like. This is not your usual over crowded, loud, crazy beach resort. This is all place is all about relaxation and they certainly deliver. Check-in took all of 30 seconds followed by a guided tour of the resort. When we arrived at our room it was more than I imagined. The pictures online do not do the place justice, believe me it is even more special in person. Our Agua sweet was elegantly decorated with fresh flowers upon arrival, and everyday after, which set the stage of perfection for the rest of our stay.

I spent months researching the perfect place to spend our honeymoon and fell upon Zoetry after speaking with my travel agent. Every stipulation I had was far exceeded by Zoetry and its staff. We seriously felt like we had our own little private slice of Caribbean heaven, in fact the Zoetry does not even feel like a resort as it gives off the feeling of staying at a friend’s private beach house where everything you ask for is brought promptly with a friendly greeting and a smile. We were always referred to by our names and were never treated as simply as a guest, we were family.

The resort staff was absolutely perfect. I have read some reviews about a language barrier, but did not find any difficulty communicating with the staff. Granted we are from San Antonio, so we are quite used to hearing Spanish and utilized what broken Spanish we know on occasion, but never out of necessity. We love to learn about other cultures and the language is a big part of that. You are in their country, so my advice is soak up what you can while you are there. We were complimented at every occasion by the staff for our modest efforts to communicate in their own language even though there was no need.

When we arrived I learned that their long time manager Natalia had recently left for other opportunities. I had the pleasure of meeting Louis the new manager on our first night at the resort and I have nothing but great things to say about his hospitality. He speaks perfect English and is willing to do anything, personally, to make sure your time in paradise is everything you expected. We saw him every day during our stay, and he would always stop by to see how everything was going, always looking for any feedback he could get. Another member of the staff we would like to mention is Juan. I have never met a more friendly person in all my life. Juan exemplified everything we had come to expect while at the resort.

I have also read other reviews that are critical of the resorts food and I seriously believe that their taste buds have been corrupted from years of abuse from McDonalds and the like. My wife and I have eaten at some of the finest restaurants in the nation and found the food at Zoetry to be on par with what we would expect when paying over $100 per plate. As with everything here you can modify, change, or even request something completely off the wall and it will be delivered. We never once were told they had run out of anything or that something couldn’t be done. On one occasion at breakfast they even squeezed fresh orange juice for us when we asked for a glass. I would however advise you to again, sit back relax and enjoy things that may seem a little out of your comfort zone. Just let the chef take over and I promise you will be pleased. I have also read that some people found the service to be “slow.” We never felt like we were waiting on anything, as everything was promptly delivered without fail. Again remember, you are on vacation and good food takes time. You are not at a fast food restaurant back home. Maybe the people writing those reviews did not enjoy their company at the table so things feel like they took longer than they really did.

Some advise if you are planning to visit:
• Keep the excursions away to the resort to a minimum. Zoetry is purposely set far away from anything, which we loved, so there is a good deal of travel time to your where most excursions are based. We did partake in two actives outside of the resort, deep-sea fishing (Mike’s Marina, the absolute best), and a SNUBA trip both of which were amazing. It was just so hard to be away from the resort for a whole day, back in the masses of people.
• Brush up on a little Spanish. This is not necessary but will be greatly appreciated when you show off to the staff that you can communicate, even if it’s only a few words, in their home language.
• Sit back and relax. One of the best things about Zoetry is how relaxing your surroundings are. Take a nap on the beach with a drink beside you and let the beautiful surroundings wash over you.
• Men, bring long pants for dinner. There is a dress code at dinner, nothing over the top but just a heads up. The only stipulation here is men must ware long pants and a nice shirt. You wouldn’t go to a fine restaurant at home is cut off jean shorts and a tee-shirt that looks like you just wrestled it from the teeth some wild animal, so for the sake of everyone around you this policy is in place. It helps set the romantic mood so many come to Zoetry for.

All in all this was by far the best beach resort my wife and I have ever had the pleasure of staying. From the grounds, to rooms, to the staff, Zoetry will blow everything else out of the water. If you want to stay up all night and party on the beach with loud music, this is not the place for you. If you want to be able to enjoy some time with your someone special and be able to look down a completely empty beach for miles and feel totally in your own world this is the spot.

2 Thank BeachNut_11
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 21 March 2011

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Zoetry and we were both sad to leave what felt like our private resort! With it being a small resort, we felt as if we were the only ones there at times. As previous reviews indicate, the service was EXCELLENT. So excellent that Annie at the front desk actually traveled to the local pharmacy for a decongestant for me after I came down with a sinus infection shortly after our arrival. Since we don't speak Spanish fluently, she offered to run this errend for us so we could stay at the resort and relax! When we thanked her profusely, she simply responded with "It's my pleasure." The staff here is simply amazing. We made many friends during out week long stay.

Our room was a beautiful 2nd story room that faced the pool that snakes through the property. We enjoyed the privacy and the quietness of the room. The nightly turndown service was great. They would also put fresh flowers picked from around the property in the room every other night which was a great touch. Our mini bar was stocked with snacks and beer. After requesting some more wine, room service showed up with an entire bottle, instead of the mini bottles that were in the room before!

The local Dominican dishes were our favorite. The Friday night that we stayed, the hotel did a great job by putting on a beach dinner for all of the guests. They cooked a ton of Dominican fare and everything was superb!

The staff did a great job at making us feel special on our honeymoon. Our second night there the restaurant that we ate at made us a special cake to celebrate. A few nights later, our dinner on the beach has cancelled due to the high winds, but the staff did everything they could to make it special for us. They sectioned off a part of the restaurant and decorated everything for us to ensure we had a special dinner.

Lastly, the beach is immaculate. The sand is so soft! The resort does a great job at keeping the beach clean from seaweed and anything else that washes up throughout the night. It felt like a private beach to us. You can walk nearly a 1/2 mile in either direction on the beach and not see another hotel. There are lots of huts out on the beach which provide great protection from the sun and you don't have to get up at 6am to stake your claim on one. Lots of room at the beach and pool depending on what your preference is.

We did two different massages at the spa. We did an 80 minute couples Hot Stone massage and an 80 minute Swedish massage. Both were fantastic. The spa is beautiful and so nice to just sit at and relax. We found this our little haven when the wind and rain kicked up one afternoon. The warm water and beautiful setting of the spa was perfect for relaxation.

We had never traveled to this part of the country and I was so surprised at how kind and genuine the people are. We loved the staff and can definately see ourselves coming back for another trip to visit all of our friends! Thank you Zoetry staff for making our Honeymoon perfect. This was the best start we could imagine to our marriage!

2 Thank nickiaco
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Decided on Punta Cana, read tons of reviews, and decided on Zoetry for a 9 day honeymoon with my wife. The resort is about 1 hour drive from the airport, but we did not view that as a drawback, it was a fascinating drive. From the moment we arrived at the resort, we were treated with excellent service in an incredibly beautiful, relaxing atmosphere. The welcoming was very nice and personal. Greeted by juice and a cool moist towel to do the check in process. Then given a personal tour of the grounds that ended at their beach front restaurant where we were offered beverages and the menu. That's when we felt the beauty of true all inclusive, anything we want at any time. When our room was ready we were brought there with our bags. I had just booked a standard room, so I didn't where to expect to be put. Was pleasantly surprised with a second floor room with a nice view of the pool. It's true the second floor has a rickety deck to access the rooms but that just added to the charm.

The Room:
The room was beautiful and comfortable, and even smelled great (no musty smell!). Bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. There is a pillow menu available upon request but the ones in the room were so comfortable, we didn't bother. There was a bath tub with plenty of room for 2 and nice shower. Water pressure was a little low, but we always had hot water. Mini-bar was well stocked and always promptly re-stocked. Housekeeping really does come 3 times a day, although the last one of the day can come pretty late (after 9) so I would recommend putting the do not disturb on the door when getting in bed.
There was even free wifi and free international calling.

Food and Drink:
I'll start with drink. Bars are well stocked and you really feel free to have whatever you want as much as you want. With meals there is a wine menu with wines for sale but there are also house wines included, and you can also ask for anything from the bar and they will go and get it.
As for food, it was very good overall. It was amazing at first, but after halfway through our trip, it did start to get a little repetitive. That is a small complaint though because every meal was still really good. I felt the meat was always an excellent cut and excellently cooked. Anything seafood was always really fresh and really great. We enjoyed lots of fresh fruit and fresh fruit juices. Food was always accompanied by great service, which brings me to the staff.

The Staff:
Everybody is extremely friendly, and really delivers personal service. I could see how there might be a little language barrier in some situations, but my wife's first language is Spanish, so it was not a problem for us. We truly felt like we had a personal connection with some by the time we left. A stand out person was Juan in the restaurants. Let me just give you an example: my wife likes spicy food and the food in general was not spicy. Juan made sure that they custom made a spicy salsa for her, not just the first time we talked about it, but every time that he served us in a restaurant.
The front desk was very helpful the few times we had to use it (for example, taking out money which was no problem at all). The only time we needed maintenance was for when our remote control didn't work and someone quickly came and fixed it.
One exception to the excellent staff was witnessed in the spa. The main woman (don't know her name) in the spa was not very friendly with my wife on the phone, and she yelled at another staff member in front of my wife. The only spa service we paid for was a mommy-to-be massage (my wife is pregnant), and the main woman did not tell the masseuse that my wife was pregnant. After the massage started, my wife had to say that she was pregnant, and once that was cleared up she did get a great massage.

The grounds, beach, and activities:
The incredible pictures you see really is how the resort looks. The hotel grounds and beach are absolutely beautiful and well maintained. Zoetry's beach is unique in the area because the water is calm. For whatever natural reason, the beach is calm in front of the resort, but if you go in either direction away from the resort, the waves are pretty constantly big. The water was always warm.
Activities were nice and laid back. Cristina in activities was very friendly and fun, and great at getting people involved.

Overall we were 100% happy with our experience, would absolutely recommend it. Especially after seeing some of the other resorts on our way back to the airport, could NOT imagine going anywhere else. As our transportation brought us back to the airport, the other resorts we stopped at looked like absolute madhouses with so many people running around and no personal service. Zoetry left a calm energy with us and we cannot wait to someday return.

1 Thank ElChapulin