“Can't wait to go there again!”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #2 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 15 April 2011

When we arrived at the resort we were greeted like we were long lost family. We were welcomed with a glass of tea and cold wash cloths to wipe our faces and hands. We were escorted around the resort so we would know where everything was.

When we made it to our suite we were very pleased with the accommodations. Vaulted ceilings with a thatch roof, huge bathtub and shower and my favorite thing...a can of Pringles.

From the time we got there until the moment we left, the staff were very helpful. Always making sure we were taken care of. My wife and I both got very sunburned and Christina, the events coordinator, noticed. We were under the shade on the beach and she went and got us some cold, wet towels to put on our shoulders.

If you are planning to go, make sure you do the wine pairing dinner. Chef Luis Fitch, also the GM, prepares a delicious dinner with the appropriate wines.

The food was amazing. I particularly liked the Dominican Breakfast with mangu, fried salami and cheese. I also enjoyed the fresh tortilla chips with guacamole and pico de gallo. They make a delicious pizza too!

To sum up, we had a great time and we will remember it forever.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Jshultz
There are newer reviews for Zoetry Agua Punta Cana

Reviewed 13 April 2011

This was the most spectatular family vacation we have ever had. We have experienced several wonderful locations over the years, however this property truly tops them all. The service began with "Welcome Home" as we were toured around the property and introduced to each member of the staff. As we were waiting for our rooms, we hear a helicopter that subsquently "lands on the beach". We are thinking this is some celebrity of sorts - "this is just one of our clients". The most lovely, caring and genuine people whose goal is to learn your names and make this an "exceptional" vacation. The service was just impeccable.

Our first evening we spent in the wine tasting while our 14 and 18 year daughters had dinner by the beach. We told our girls we would meet them later for dinner, however we never made it to dinner because the wine tasting was not typical. It was actually beyond our expectations. Each wine was accompanied by a delightful course - we were educated by Chef Luis Fitch who described each wine thoroughly and impressively spoke in 3 different languages within the room of guests. (He actually speaks 5 languages all together.) This was just the beginning to all the delicious meals we experienced while we were there.

Each day was followed by something special, if it was a special inspirational quote, water aerobics, horseback riding on the beach, cigarmaking, sailing into the deep blue waters of the Caribbean, a primer in spanish, cocktail contest, ping pong, tennis, pool, or to the 20 minute spa treatment for each of us.

Our rooms were up above nestled in what looked and felt like a tree house, wooden planks for walkways, wicker, mahogany, flanked in blooming tropical vines and flowers. It was just fabulous. It was also impressive to see the day to day upkeep and the attention to detail that occurred in the night time - like staining the pool deck or painting to keep a fresh and clean look at all times.

Besides the accommodations, the food and property, truly what made this such a special place was the people. Between the four of us, we wanted to mention and send our appreciation to the following members of the staff that made us feel welcomed, cared for and appreciated at all times. The service was just terrific: Wait staff: Juan, Carlos, Yari, Gregorio, Jose, Jordani, Aleahanda, Fernando, and Benjamin. Miquel was wonderful with the sailing - a must for anyone visiting Zoetry. The Reception: Roberto, Carlos and Eduarado & Danielle.
Spanish is a plus - if it wasn't for our daughter (18) who was fluent in spanish we probably would have had to go to Spanish class each day. Everyone loved that both our girls tried to speak Spanish.

This is a place just so fabulous - we miss everyone and hope to return very soon for a "piece of heaven".

Room Tip: There are only 53 rooms - all rooms are great.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank varoots10
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I have to say that I agree with the negative reviews. The food is fairly good, but very inconsistent. A few times we were given food that was very sub-par and sometimes rotten. We all sufferred stomach problems during and after the trip. The service was very good when we arrived, but progressively got worse during our 7 day stay to the point that we would be seated for lunch and then have to wait 30 or more minutes to have our order taken and then at least a half hour more for our food to arrive.
The resort is beautiful, but the condition of it reflects that of a much older resort and not of one which is only a few years old.
I have heard many positive reviews about the spa. I had the worst massage of my life there--couldn't wait for it to end. The girl had no formal training and was rough and unsafe, but perhaps this was an isolated occurence.
We did not take the negative reviews too seriously when booking as we thought that people were merely just too picky, but after experiencing Zoetry for ourselves we can certainly see where they were coming from.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank peacock2011
HotelManagerlf, Hotel Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2011

Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies for not fulfilling completely your expectations.
What I can ensure is that we buy the highest quality products according a five star hotel.
I am surprised to see your comments, and we take the perception of our guests as a reality, therefore we will take immediate action in verifying the quality of each and every product purchased in our property.
We will also work to improve the efficiency of our service in all areas.
We can proudly state that most of our guests have a high level of satisfaction that is why we are ranked among the highest properties in the destination (Punta Cana), we regret that you are not among this very happy guests.
We thank you for taking the time to write in Tripadvisor because we take very serious each and every comment posted and it certainly helps to improve our service.

Reviewed 12 April 2011

When I read some of the reviews of this resort I can hardly believe that I went to the same place as these people. I have just returned from 7 nights at this resort and I say this without any reservation that I have never been so glad to leave a place in my life!!!! Before I left I checked trip advisor and there were mixed reviews I didn’t know what to believe however my travel agent assured me that the resort being 5 star and given what I paid would be a great choice. How wrong was I!!! Basically all the bad reviews on this site are true. Firstly start with the positive. The resort is nice, people are fairly nice and the beach was beautiful, clean and well kept. However when it comes to quality of service, these people have no idea what that means. On several occasions at breakfast you would order something and wait almost half hour for the meal/drink and when it arrived it was nearly always the wrong order. I don’t know if it was the language barrier which was another problem. I don’t expect everyone to be fluent in English but at least understand me when I ask for just TOAST as opposed to FRENCH toast which is what I always got when I asked for toast. Furthermore with the language issue room service you would hope that you might get someone who knows what was on the menu and could take your order. On several occasions I ordered pilau rice and just got plain rice, this happened every time. When I finally did get pilau rice it was just disgusting!!!! This leads me onto the food at this place. What a joke!!! Everything if it didn’t come with rice came with this mash potato stuff ....with everything??? Not to mention the fact that I was sick with food poisoning for the first three days, the first day after eating that fish/vegetable soup on the room service menu....truly horrible. Another dish that just defied belief, the Dominican style baked chicken & plantain. Well all this was deep fried chicken (KFC style) deep fried un-ripened plantain and wait for it…. Ketchup. I just couldn’t believe it when they placed that dish in front of me and expected me to eat it. If I wanted KFC I would have stayed in England. Finally Spa, told by reception that it closed at 8pm. The first night I got there 6.45pm told by non English speaking individual… 5mins. Half hour later still waiting, He never came back again. I went to the desk and told them of this incident and was told that there was a staff shortage, come back tomorrow. Went back next day 6.30 told by two really rude women that spa is closed at 6pm??? Tired again next night got there 5 and was met by again non English speaking individual who basically ignored me and left me to do my own thing. No welcome, no tour of the spa… nothing absolutely despicable. People don’t waste your money on this place it’s not worth it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank Love2travel_1126
HotelManagerlf, Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2011

Awful
Dear Guest
We are terribly sorry that we did were not up to your standards.
Please be sure that we will take immediate action in correcting our shortages, also we will train our staff better when it comes to their communication skills in foreign languages.
Concerning the food poisoning you claim to have experienced, this is a very serious statement that ought to be brought to the management during your stay, which never happened.
Medical attention would have been given to precise your health condition.
Our HACCP (Food Safety) programme is permanently monitored by Cristal UK where we have been approved according to their very high standards.
I apologize for the perception you had with the Dominican style chicken which in fact comes with ketchup because more than 90% of our guests request it and we try to be ahead of their needs.
The plantain fritters are made of green (plantain) and are not ment to be with ripe ones, I am sorry that you didn`t like them they are very well made because it is part of The Dominican staple foods.
I really wish to receive a second chance from you to make up your dream vacation.
Thank you for your comments they help, to improve our product.
Yours Truly

Reviewed 8 April 2011

We just want to share our wonderful experience, because this piece of heaven deserves my thumbs up.
Besides the gorgeous setting and imaculate rooms, you will encounter the most corteous and friendly staff.
And please dont miss the wine tasting dinner, the manager himself is one of these well known Chefs.
The food is prety good in general terms, the best weve tried so far at an all inclusive, no matter how expensive these were.
Give yorself a chance to live Agua Resort.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the few ocean front
1  Thank Irishontherocks

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your feedback we appreciate enormously the fact that you are one of our very special happy clients.
We conduct the wine pairing dinners with much passion and we do everything to transmit our passion to our guests.

Reviewed 8 April 2011

Zoetry Agua was a very unique experience. It is an extremely small and rustic resort. You see the same people everyday from the staff to the other visitors. Checkin was quite easy and you got a quick tour of the property before heading to your room. Rooms were large and alot of closet space. We had a second story garden view room, but wished we had a 1st floor agua room next to the pool. The resort is extremely quiet and the pool/beach areas are not crowded. You can easily find a location to relax and be alone. We spent most of our time on the beach, good chairs, good services, great snorkeling and tons of sun or shade. Our biggest complaint was the beach area between the resorts was a little trashy, you had to watch out for horse droppings and the 2nd story walking terrace was a little hard to walk on. During our time at the resort we rode horses, snorkeled, got a massage, did a bike tour and did a little sailing. We were also able to do some boogie board and body surfing on the beach. For lunch try the pizzas and chips/salsa they were both awesome. The resort has 3 restaurants but normally only 1 open for breakfast, 1 for lunch and 2 for dinner. The menus did not change but they would add a chef's special menu to increase the selection. Overall our food was really good and ranged from lobster to steak to fresh fish. One major concern was the bugs at night and early in the morning, but they did supply bug spray and they seemed to help. Overall there is wildlife around the resort, from peacocks, lizards, fish (even an octopus) and horses. There is very little entertainment but what do you expect from a resort with 51 rooms. Coco Cafe was our favorite stop for afternoon snacks and drinks. Overall my wife love the quiet atmosphere and I loved the location. Overall I would stay at this resort again in a heartbeat and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Ask for an Aqua room towards beach
2  Thank dt12201
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We had been to the Zoetry in Cancun several times and loved it. Unfortunately we cannot say the same for our visit to the Punta Cana property. We booked a second floor beach front room. Received a call 5 days prior to arrival from Zoetry’s US agent to offer us an “upgrade” to the Caribe Suite, which is inland without the ocean view. We declined the offer but when we arrived we were told only the Caribe was available and so we had no choice (this same thing happened to other guests while we were there). After arguing with the staff and a discussion with two managers, they finally acknowledged that we were right and we were told we could move to the room we had reserved in two days and we would be offered two free days for the next visit.

The Caribe Suite for the first two days was not good. This had an outdoor shower and bathtub, which sounds great in theory but it doesn’t feel luxurious when you have to take a shower with mosquitoes and a fence that has holes in it and allows people to look through if they want to. Also not great to have to walk outside to use the bathroom in the middle of the night (again, the mosquitoes). Even when we were moved two days later to a beach front room it wasn’t what we had reserved as it was on the first floor. It had curtains that didn’t even close properly – so no privacy (which is why we had reserved a second floor room in the first place). Besides this obvious bait and switch, the rooms aren’t luxurious – they are old and worn, the mosquitoes in the room are unbearable and the bathrooms are very warm and uncomfortable (more like an outhouse). There are large gaps around the doors, allowing mosquitoes, spiders and in our case, a lizard, into the room. It is a nightmare vacation when you have to spend all your time scratching your bites.

The pools are not that clean, and are chipping in places at the bottom and on the sides.

The food is ok but the wines for purchase on the menu are average and often not available. The service in the restaurants is friendly and they do try to help you any way they can. If it hadn’t been for the food and restaurant service, we would have given this zero stars.

Luckily, we met some great people while we were there and the weather was good so it wasn’t a total disaster. But we won’t be returning or recommending this hotel to others. It needs a lot of work for it to be the luxury that they advertise.

Room Tip: Confirm directly with hotel day before.
7  Thank historyman_11
HotelManagerlf, Hotel Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2011

Nightmare in Paradise
Dear Guest
Please accept our apologies again, as I have explained during your stay we experienced a reservation system collapse, which had never occurred before.
We are sorry that you didn’t like your Caribe Suite, which was actually an upgrade of room category.
We thank you for your feedback, and we are working in improving the privacy of these bathrooms.
In regards to your Suite De Luxe Ocean Front in the ground floor, that was the room you had booked.
I am surprised that you didn’t bring these issues to our attention for an immediate fix.
About the cracks in the bottom of the pool, we will be fixing them as soon as the winter-spring season is over, we can not afford to empty the pool now.
We hope that you will be reconsidering in coming back and make up for a much better stay.

Hotel Manager Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana lfitch@zoetryresorts.com