“Bumped Our Honeymoon - The Day Before Our Wedding” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zoetry Agua Punta Cana

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #2 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“Bumped Our Honeymoon - The Day Before Our Wedding”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

Last fall, my fiancée and I deliberated over our “perfect” honeymoon. We decided that the one thing we wanted most was a small resort that offered a quiet and private reprieve from our busy lives. After looking all over the world, we made our selection for a once-in-a-lifetime vacation at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana. The small resort, with just 51 rooms, was exactly what we were looking for.

We booked our room last November, seven months before our wedding, and quickly received an email from a reservations clerk offering to help us with any additional needs for our visit. Over the next few months, we traded numerous emails and arranged a special dinner on the beach, as well as transportation to and from the airport.

Two weeks before our trip, I called Zoetry to ask whether we might be able to extend our trip by a few days. They told me they were over-booked for those extra days. When I asked whether our original booking would be affected by their “over-booked” status, they assured me we’d be fine.

On Friday morning – the day before our wedding and just three days before our scheduled departure – I received an email from Zoetry informing us they had overbooked the property and were unable to honor our reservation. They offered us a room at another property called Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana – a sprawling complex with 176 rooms. Secrets, more than triple the size of Zoetry, was precisely the type of place we didn’t want to go. Worse, the reviews weren’t as good.

When I asked Zoetry Hotel Manager Luis Fitch why he bumped a honeymoon couple instead of someone in one of the other 51 rooms, he told me, “It was a business decision.” When I asked him what went wrong, he casually said, “People get bumped. It happens in the airlines and at other hotels.”

When I explained that a move to the much larger resort wasn’t an acceptable option, he offered us a free “romantic” dinner and a free airport pick-up. Only after I continued to express my outrage did he offer something better – but by the time I won that Pyrrhic victory, I no longer wanted anything to do with his chain.

So on Friday afternoon – as guests were arriving for that night’s rehearsal dinner – we found ourselves scrambling to book a different honeymoon. We ended up going to a wonderful resort in Los Cabos, Mexico – but at significantly greater expense.

If anyone is planning a vacation, I strongly recommend avoiding Zoetry and their related properties. The casual indifference with which they canceled our honeymoon at the last minute bodes poorly for other travelers, as does the fact that other Zoetry guests have shared similar stories on review sites of being bumped at the last minute.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
21 Thank Brad_Phil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (852)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

After much research, my fiancé & I decided on Zoetry for our destination wedding weekend. Zoetry offered everything we were looking for – an all inclusive resort located on a beautiful beach with great amenities, an array of food to satisfy all of our guests needs and top level service. Given Zoetry’s boutique style size with only 51 rooms, we were able to reserve the entire resort for our wedding weekend – it was this opportunity that excelled what we thought would be a great weekend into something that exceeded all expectation.

I cannot say enough about the staff at this resort – from the moment we arrived, we and our entire party, were treated with such high regard. As noted by other travelers, the staff does remember your name and is there to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. We are well traveled and were sad to have to say goodbye to the staff – my now husband & I didn’t feel that we could thank them enough for making our weekend such an unforgettable experience – Susana, the Sales Mgr/Wedding Coordinator did a fantastic job in executing our vision for the entire weekend. Enrique, the head maitre’d , was present at all restaurants making sure that food was prepared and timed to perfection - the food is AMAZING! Special thanks to Louis, Jordania, Juan, Gregorio, Kenny, Anna, Doris & the entire staff!

The property is even more beautiful in person & the spa & wellness center offers a great escape to every day life - if you are thinking of vacationing or having your wedding at Zoetry, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2011
4 Thank DNG_11
patriciaguadalupe, Public Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 23 June 2011
We are very pleased that you and your party enjoyed your stay at our resort. We are glad that we are accomplishing our goals and satisfying your expectations.

We appreciate your review.

Best regards.
leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

After reading through the negative reviews that were on here (as I always do) I would say to anyone considering this hotel to ignore the vast majority of them!

The hotel is beautiful, the beach and pool area is paradise, the restaurants have been carefully though about and they all have charm and wonderful different and interesting menus.

The quality of the food (as a westerner you sometimes find a lack of what you perceive to be quality when you go to a less affluent country) was absolutely first class.

The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. I would be shocked if you ever have to ask for anything (you run out of water and there's someone there straight away).

There are a whole host of activities every day and you are told by newsletter that they slip under your door before you go to sleep (when you are out at dinner).

The gym facilities are not what you would expect in an actually gym but you make use of them as best I could and they served a purpose.

Its a very quiet resort and a lot of people when we were there seemed to eat in their rooms which meant there wasn't always a lot of atmosphere in the dining rooms at night but this wasn't really a problem, its a quiet relaxing resort.

The only issue with this hotel was that there were an awful lot of mosquito's, if you are effected I would cover up at night and wear plenty of repellent.

You will occasionally find other bugs etc maybe in your room, but you are not in England or America anymore so just deal with it, theres nothing they or you can do about it

This is literally the only negative.

The hotel manager did a wine and food evening one night where the foods matched the win and you lean all about the wine, this was fantastic and a really nice touch.

The hotel was unfortunately over booked when we arrived for a wedding, so we had to spend our last two nights at the secret sanctuary resort (the sister hotel to Zoetry) But the management compensated us and we were very well looked after (they rearranged our transfers, upgraded our room at the new resort and gave us complimentary treatments.

I cant speak highly enough of this place. Top notch!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice at this hotel!
5 Thank treacleboots
We appreciate greatly your favorable comments. We have worked very hard to make your stay a great experience and it means a lot to us that we have accomplished your high expectations.

Best Regards,
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

I've stayed in Punta Cana before and Zoetry Agua is by far the best. However the mosquito's on and off the resort property were to the point of unbearable. Since arriving home every night I've wake up with terrible mosquito bite irritation. If it wasn't for Benadryl I'd be in trouble.

Positives:

-Poor fitness center (I've stayed at Hampton Inn's who have better equipment

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
patriciaguadalupe, Public Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 25 June 2011
On behalf of the hotel and staff, i want to sincerely apologize for the mosquitoes bites.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Best,

Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

We stayed at Zoetry for our anniversary in May and enjoyed it so much we can't wait to go back again! We stayed in room #22, which is the oceanfront lower level room with the plunge pool at the edge of the property. We loved that we could just walk out our front sliding glass doors onto the beach and lounge under one of the thatched roof umbrellas. The view was amazing! Weather was in the 90's and sunny, so the plunge pool was nice to cool off in. The resort is beautiful, with a rustic yet elegant feel to it. The thatched roofs, palm trees, fences made from cut palm trees, wooden steps/bridges, plants, (lizards & peacocks too!) and the many many beautiful flowers make you feel as if you are on a secluded, private island. Then you add in the luxuries of the beautiful pool area, the spa, the various restaurants, the coffee shop, the island elegant decor of the rooms, the amazing service, etc.; the attention to details is truly remarkable!

Zoetry offers you pretty much everything and anything you would want. All meals, drinks, snacks, etc. are included in your daily room rate. Also included is a spa treatment, a horseback riding trip, kayaking, snorkeling, sailboat rides, etc. Basically you can be as busy as you want to be. We chose not to be very busy and just spent most of our time relaxing and enjoying each other. Also included is laundry and ironing service which was fabulous! And, all tips/gratuities are included which does make it nice as you don't feel that servers are just being nice to you to get a tip.

Service was great! While we were lounging either by the pool or under one of the cute thatched umbrellas on the beach, servers were very good about asking us if we wanted anything. They even brought around trays of fresh fruit kabobs which was awesome! We thought all of our meals were very good. The selection was very good with many different choices which was surprising being that this is an all-inclusive resort. I enjoyed lobster (awesome), ribeye, shrimp, and various other seafood while my husband enjoyed the breakfasts of french toast (awesome) and fresh fruit. All of the soups were very good too, especially the beef oxtail soup. The pizzas were really good too, especially the tuna and capers and jalapenos one. Desserts were good/ok. The servers were great about bringing baskets of fresh breads and pastries to your table while you were waiting for your meals to arrive. (The pineapple jam on pastries for breakfast is fabulous!) The first night we were there, we felt the service started a little slow, but once they took our meal orders they did fine. So, from then on we just ordered our drinks, appetizers, and meals all at once when the server would arrive. They were always very good about refilling our drink glasses, almost too good sometimes!! :) Also what is cool is that you can have them bring your meal to your room too! We loved eating breakfast on our table on our front porch area in the morning hearing the ocean and feeling the breeze. Also, be sure to check out the coffee shop too. The pastries and various teas and coffees are great! Service was great too!

We went for a few walks on the beach. The beach area around Zoetry is beautiful, but when you get past the resort it goes a little downhill. There are not a lot of resorts around Zoetry (which that part is very nice), but unfortunately "litter-bugs" have left their mark amongst the palm tree forests surrounding the resort. But, it was still pretty to see all the palm trees and coconuts laying around on the beach. Just gives it that rustic feel. My husband said it kind of reminded him of the movie "Castaway." (Do take a little caution when walking too far to one of the resorts as you will be approached by peddlers from nearby stores, some of them very aggressive and pushy. If you run into this, just remember that most of the stuff they are selling you can buy at the airport. We waited and ended up finding what we wanted at the airport for much cheaper.)

Our room was lovely. The bed was comfortable, the shower was large and awesome, the closet space had just enough room, and the decor was beautiful. The maid/cleaning service did a great job and we loved the rose petals, fresh flowers, and cute little towel animal they made. Adorable! Again, the attention to detail is amazing at Zoetry. And, they always made sure we had plenty of bottles of water, snacks, drinks, and fresh fruit everyday in our room. You also get a complimentary beach bag and bottle of rum!

We did the wine tasting meal, which was nice. It was very interesting and although I'm glad we did it, I also wouldn't have been devastated if we would've missed it either. Wines were good, food was good, & service was good, but we enjoyed being on our own more and this dinner involved a large crowd of people gathering around tables. There was also a beach party grill one night and instead of going to that after seeing everyone crowed around tables together again, we opted to try the restaurant and had a wonderful, romantic, private dinner with just the two of us since everyone else was at the beach party! We were so happy with our decision and loved our private evening meal!

On a side note: the name of the transport service we used was called IBK and they were very good. They were waiting on us when we arrived (even though our flight arrived 45 minutes early) and they were waiting on us at the resort when it was time for us to go. And, they were very pleasant, talkative, and interesting!

We did go snorkeling at the resort and were pleasantly surprised. We assumed it wasn't going to be very good, but we saw quite a few interesting, colorful fish and ended up having a nice time. We also went on a sailboat ride (on the boat located on Zoetry's beach) and that was really fun! I would recommend trying it. We got a little wet, but the breeze and water felt good and we were able to get some great pics of the resort and island with our waterproof camera.

Zoetry was amazing and beautiful with great service and food. We loved our stay and feel that it was the best trip we have ever had. And, we have stayed at many Ritz Carlton's and Four Seasons resorts over the years. Not that those were bad in any way, we just felt our stay with Zoetry was even better! We really are excited to go back and stay even longer next time!

Room Tip: We thought our room was the best, room #22!
6 Thank CRRTWR
We could not be more pleased that you had the most wonderful experience with us.
We can't wait to serve you again!!!

Best regards.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

Went to Zoetry with spouse and 10 friends and by 2nd day the entire staff knew us all by name. Hands down the best food and service from an all inclusive resort that we had ever been to.

The resort was gorgeous, spa treatments were amazing, rooms were wonderful and it was quiet and peaceful.

I would go back again in a heartbeat!

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ndragone
We hope to see you in your next visit, hoping we are you first choice in the Caribbean.

We appreciate your review, please keep recommending us

Best Regards

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

My wife and I went to Zoetry for our honeymoon. The staff alone made our expericence second to none! Accomindations were impeccable and the scenery to die for. Was stress-free and extremely relaxing. We are already making plans on when we can return. Everything this place promise's is delivered tenfold.

3 Thank May7wed
Thank you, If you have any recommendation for us to improve we would appreciate to hear them all.

Best regards,