“The BEST TRIP OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #3 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Knoxville, Tennessee
“The BEST TRIP OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

First of all, let me start off by saying that I have read TripAdvisor reviews for MONTHS, and we based much of our decision to go to Zoetry on those reviews. I am not sure where some of the things that people are saying about the resort are coming from, but I am astonished that it gets anything but good to great reviews.

This was our honeymoon trip, and I really feel that anyone going on their honeymoon is looking to go somewhere that is relaxing, beautiful, quiet, scenic, and basically FABULOUS....this is that place. We honeymooned at Zoetry from the end of May through the entire first week of June, and we had nothing short of a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend using a travel agent to travel anywhere out of the country as that helps expedite the process of arranging travel to and from the resort, etc. We took the helicopter transfer from the airport to the resort, and I would highly recommend it. It was my first helicopter flight, as well as my husband's, and it was fantastic. It is a short 20 minute ride and offers great views of the Dominican.

Once we arrived at Zoetry, we were immediately greeted by Daniel who offered us cool towels and showed us immediately to our room. The room to say the least is beautiful. We stayed right on the beach in a lower level room with a plunge pool, and it was perfect. Daniel settled us in and then gave us a tour of the property to help us acclimate to the property and where things were located. We even stopped at the front bar to have a champagne toast. It was perfect.

I have seen some of the reviews about the food not being good and I get really upset. This food is by far some of the BEST FOOD I HAVE EVER HAD. This is an all-inclusive resort, and I have heard horror stories in regards to resorts like this where the food is terrible. This is not the case. The food is outright AMAZING. Everything I ordered, I loved. It is fresh, wonderfully presented, and very delicious. The breakfast selection was something that I looked forward to every day, The lobster is out of this WORLD, and I think I ate it close to 5 times. The coffee is the best I have ever had, and we took some back with us to the United States.

In regards to the staff....I could go ON AND ON...I was truly sad when we left. I have never seen people who work so hard to make their guests happy. By the end of the week, we knew many of the staff's names and they knew ours. Is there a language barrier? Absolutely, but you have to TRY to learn...they enjoy it, and they want to learn English as well, and it can become a very educational experience. I had a hard time when we got back not saying "hola, como esta?" to every single person I pass by. From the cleaning staff, to the maintenance people, the wait staff....it was unbelievable. They tried their hardest to make us happy and did an incredible job of making us feel special for our entire stay. Special thanks to Peterson, Jacquline, Junior, Juan, Daniel, Jarlie for making our honeymoon unforgettable.

Some words of advice....be realistic. You are going to the Dominican Republic....are there mosquitos, yes. Is there a language barrier?...yes. Is the food different than what you are probably used to?....yes. Is this a 5 star luxury resort with marble floors, perfect air-conditioning, and a staff with perfect English?? NOOOOOO. However, if you are looking for a resort with beauty, character, charm, gorgeous scenery, amazing food, and a fabulous staff, you need to go here. It was the most amazing trip, and we hope to visit again.

5 Thank MaryMac44
patriciaguadalupe, Public Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 22 June 2011
We are so happy to hear that you have a wonderful time with us, I’ll be sure to share your experience with all employees. Customer service and perfect vacations are our top priorities.

Best,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 June 2011

The rooms were what we expected, nice. Our expectations were met mainly because we knew what we were looking for based on previous travels to other places. We were looking for something basic and homogeneous to the land, with a slight touch of luxury. Our room was spacious and open, with a pool entrance. Expect things to be on "Dominican "time, which for us, was perfect. I believe that they are forbidden to say "no," because every response was "No problem." The staff there really made the difference. They constantly checked in on you, especially Jacqueline and Juan, and openly expressed that they wanted to offer us the best service possible. The meals were GREAT! It seemed as if all of our meals were custom made, never did the food seem stale, old, or recycled. The location of the resort was a bit far, but if you want seclusion, it shouldn't be a problem for you. The airport ride took about an hour, but at least it was scenic. We utilized just about all of their offered services, and all were good. I wish that the steam room could have been operational, but the sauna made up for it. My husband and I received very relaxing couples' massages, he enjoyed it so much that he was snoring halfway through. If you use the cleaning services, give it 36 hours, not 24 hours to be returned. The bar was constantly stocked, with premium drinks, not the cheap ones. The staff also worked daily constantly trying to keep the pool clean, sometimes all day cleaning. The beach was quiet and felt private, and the staff made sure we were comfortable as we laid out on the beach. The only blemish on my trip was the constant mosquitoes. To be fair, it was no fault of the resort, they tried to spray the grounds daily, but the bugs there are relentless. My husband complained of a few bites, I had dozens. I didn't let the mosquitoes, nor the rain ruin my vacation though. It was definitely what we were looking for....minus the bug bites:)

Room Tip: Search sites for all-inclusive deals and compare.
2 Thank 404mommy
patriciaguadalupe, Public Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 23 June 2011
Thank you, on behalf of the hotel and staff, i want to thank you for your comments it’s really important to us knowing you have had a great experienced.

Best regards,
Sandusky, Ohio
Reviewed 11 June 2011

This place is terrible. Save your money and go elsewhere. For 600+ dollars a night I would expect a clean and wonderful resort. The resort is an hour away from the airport... which is were most all the rest of the resorts are, which means no tours or other off resort activites are around this resort and it is a long trip to and from where the activites are. the drive to the resort is crazy and scary, I was just hoping that the people were taking us to the resort and not into the jungle to dissapear. along the way you can see melnourished cows and random horses walking down the street.

First off, just from walking from the "front desk" to our room on the beachfront my wife had got 15 mosquito bites at 2 in the afternoon. The Mosquitos are horrible and was the beginning of our horrible experience. The resort sprays for the Mosquitos before dusk... and dont think about that they are spraying right outside of the open air resteraunts. They came around the resteraunt that we were eatting at and sprayed and for the rest of the meal all i could taste was the bug spray they used. Besides that, the food was mediocure at best. I just hope that the Steaks came from healthy cows and not the Melnuorished cows you see while driving to the resort. The Spa looked nice, but I have no clue how they can think that anyone really can use the spa when they charge super high rates for a simple 60 minute message, $120+.

The coffee shop drinks are alright, but the snacks they have in there are all stale and not that good. The game room is useless, has a lopsided pool table where the balls dont roll straight, they also had board games monopoly and guess who... The resort also has a tennis court, but you cant play becuase the mosquitos are too bad

The workers at this resort is the only nice thing about this place. They are friendly, nice and always looking to please you... but who wouldnt be this way when they know you are just handing them over lots of money for not a great resort.

The photos showing an arial of the resort on thier website has been photoshopped.. the water isnt that blue, the beach isnt that white, and the property next door is not a green lushious area. The water was Murky, the beach wasnt soft, and the property has a run down building and trash and was gross. They have a wooden walk way to get to the upper rooms and the boards were loose, and caution tape blocked off portions of the walkway because the boards were rotted out and unsafe (which i think the whole walkway is unsafe) we felt very unsafe using the walkway. There was a strong smell of sewage outside, and you could smell the septic tanks even from inside the rooms. The toilets dont have toilet seats, and our bathroom had no hot water. also all the other pictures on thier website have been photoshopped as well, the rooms and resteraunts are not that bight and nice, infact id call it dark and dinghy. The rooms have nice porches, but you cant sit out there because of the mosquitos.

This place was scary and creepy. Maybe it wasnt for us, we are use to luxurious and clean places that feel safe. This place feels like your own deserted island including all the bigs and such. The workers look to help you, but at the same time you constantly feel like you are being watched. I do not know how this place gets great reviews, I think this resort might have people forging good reviews for them. I dont know how anyone leaving this resort doesnt feel like they just robbed of their money and robbed of their vacation time.

P.S. They charge you ten dollars to enter the country for a Travelers card, which is a scam.. you buy the card... walk 10 foot and put the card through a paper shredder. Also, dont change your money over to Domanican Pesos... you can use your american dollars and they charge you 20% at the airport to change your money back and forth... I lost a lot of money converting it back and forth and was the cherry ontop of our cruddy experience in the Dominican Republic

11 Thank vacaman123
HotelManagerlf, Hotel Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 12 June 2011
We sincerely apologize for not exceeding nor meeting your expectations.
We also apologize for not being able to deliver good weather during your stay, the severe weather we have all experienced during your stay is the cause of many of your perceptions of poor maintenance and cleanliness of our property, I am actually trying to show a picture taken 5 minutes ago, which will serve as proof of the conditions of our beach right now on a sunny day, pristine blue and soft clear sand.
We do have a clean and wonderful resort, as proof read all the reviews of our resort.
I am sorry that your travel agent did not explain that this resort is 50 minutes away from the airport, and that this property is meant to be in an exclusive isolated area.
Unfortunately, there are mosquitoes when it rains, but we do address this issue by fumigating with non toxic smoke several times a day.
The landscape in our countryside it is also rustic and in a developing country and yes, you will see cows and horses, our beef is all, American Certified Angus Beef.
Our wooden bridges and walkways are ment to be rustic, being very safe and frequently inspected by local and international authorities.
We are most aware that this resort is not for everybody, this resort is for guests who want to be surrounded by nature in an exclusive rustic-elegant setting, willing to relax and experience the flair of The Caribbean.
I hope that you will give us a next opportunity at another sister property.
Thank you for your comments they help us, to improve our product.
Luis Fitch
Hotel Manager Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana lfitch@zoetryresorts.com
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 June 2011

When I first walked in to the resort. I loved it. I was on my honeymoon and I wanted to have a really good time, so at the beginning I gave it more credit than I should have. There are definitely some great parts to the resort. Our room was very nice. However, they drained our private plunge pool (I'm assuming for bug reasons) every night and didn't refill it until the afternoon, which meant we couldn't go in it in the morning. The croissants at the resort are made fresh and they are amazing. They are available all day at the coffee shop, which was the best part of the resort. The food starts out surprisingly good. Breakfast is always the good. But room service is frequently messed up our order or forgot stuff. The service at the restaurants is very slows. The breakfast restaurant opened late, making us late for our one trip off of the resort. The restaurants are also very unorganized, which meant people who arrived after us would be seated before us and people seated after us would get food before us. One nighted we waited an extra 25 mins just to get asked if we wanted dessert. And we only got asked because I got up and got a menu myself. The woman who runs the restaurants is very sweet and did apologize for our terrible service at one meal, but it fell short considering our table had been given away twice in one day. It rained... a lot. Of course, this is not the resorts fault. But the walkways flood. I tripped and injured myself. I also ruined my shoes. The walkways on the second floor and the bridges get so slippery I watched several other people fall as well. So be careful. There are 3 restaurants. One of them we only ate at once. The food there was good but it was the farthest from our room and in the rain it was too difficult to get over there. The service was for the most part very good. The staff was very friendly and seemed to always know you by name. So when the service was terrible it seemed even worse because it was unexpected. We were approached by someone from the vacation club asking if we received our $100 resort coupon. We had not. He did not have it on him and wanted to meet me the next day to give it to him. I'm not sure why it couldn't be left in our room or at the front desk. I could not meet him the next day because we later scheduled a dive trip. I looked everywhere for him to let him know, but he had already left. We when left for our dive the next day I told to front desk what had happened but they did not get the coupon for me. The next day the roads were flooded and the guy couldn't get to work, even though they told me to wait in my room for him to bring the coupon by. So I spent several hours just waiting for him. The next day we left so we never received the coupon. The spa was very very nice. I would have loved to spend more time in the spa but I was waiting for my resort coupon and there could not. Our phone was broken when we got there and some how was picking up interference from the staff walkie talkies. It took me three requests to get it fixed. It also took me three requests to get more pillows. The most disappointing part was the dive "shop." IF YOU ARE A DIVER GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Or at least plan your dives with someone off site. Not only are they outrageously overpriced, they do not live up to expectations. On of the workers told me we were going 7 mins away to another resort where I could hang out at the pool while my husband finished his dive class. Instead, the other diver drove us an hour away and they dropped us off at some guys house. He left us there and my husband did his dive class. I sat in a random guys living room... After the dive he picked us up and dropped us back at the resort. He made comments twice about us tipping him, so my husband felt obligated to tip him even though he didn't do anything. He didn't even drive the car, he just sat in it while some other guy drove. Also because our phone was broken the day before the dive he came to our room. But rather than knock on the front door he came in through our "private porch," and knocked on our sliding glass door when I was getting out of the shower. I found this invasion of privacy very upsetting, especially on our honeymoon. Possibly the most upsetting part of the whole trip occurred after we got home. I received an email, which I opened expecting an apology for the terrible service. Instead, the email pointed out that the man at the front desk had accidentally under charged us and they want us to send them more money. Parts of this resort are nice and it has a ton of potential but it really was disappointing. I really wish I had let the travel agent convince me to go to another resort.

5 Thank samanthaw0
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We just returned from our 1 week stay at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana in early June. The event was our 20th wedding anniversary and it is no exaggeration to say the resort exceeded our every expectation. Like others we had poured over reviews of the resort here and, to be frank, I'm amazed there are any bad reviews. I guess it just shows there is no pleasing everybody.

First some background on us. We are a middle/upper middle class family who live the Midwest of the USA. We are not millionaires, we don't fly to fancy resorts every year, and we don't stay at "Hotel Pillowmints" when we are on vacation. We've been to the Caribbean several times in the last 15 years and have always felt (having gone both ways) that all inclusive is the way to go. My guess is if you fit the description above you're experience and expectations at Zoetry will be similar to ours.

The pictures of the website are dead on. Our room, the color and shape of the resort and beach was exactly as the pictures in the website depict. No "bait and switch" here. Our room (#14) was garden side, but we were able to step out of our patio to the serpentine pool and were about 200 yards from the beach. Beautiful full soaking tub and spring shower.

In a word--this was the most fantastic resort in the Caribbean we have ever been to. We were impressed with nearly every aspect of the trip, and would highly advise anyone who is looking for three things: Rest, Relaxation, and/or Romance to go to Zoetry.

This is a small boutique resort with only about 50 rooms. They have some activities, but if you are looking for toga parties, party till you puke, blaring disco music at 4:00 am (we at our age we were certainly not) this place will probably disappoint. If however, you are looking to spend quality time with your partner, relax by the beach, read, sunbathe, swim, and restore your energy (and perhaps a romantic connection) this is the place for you. They also have a billiards room and a small library.

Pros:
1. I cannot say enough about the food here. Not only the best we've ever had in an all inclusive, but among the best food we've ever had period. Served with fresh and organic ingredients, and presented in a unique fashion, the food here has got to be one of the main highlights of the resort. BE SURE to book the wine paring dinner with Chef Fitch--you will be dazzled. The have three restaurants here and all are ala carte dining with no reservation needed. Multiple and healthy choices for all three meals of the day. Remember that dinner is "resort elegant" dress code and men must wear long pants and collared shirts. In addition a terrific coffee shop is open all day and room service is provided 24/7
2. Great top shelf beverages and good house wines. Other wines will come with a charge, but, not being overt œnophiles we were quite happy with the 5 house wines.
3. The Spa and Wellness center is great. You get a free 20 minute message with your "Endless Privileges" package but we did a couples massage as well. NOTE: If you are even thinking about doing some spa treatments book the Spa special before hand and it will save you money. Additionally they have a jacuzzzi, sauna, and hydrotherapy stations that are free to use throughout your stay. VERY relaxing
4. The beach is very nice, although it rained several days we were there (what do you expect, its the rainy season). Smooth white sand and relatively clear waters. We went snorkeling and kayaking and just wading in the surf. very fun
5. Several wellness opportunities exist, including stretching class and Yoga. We cannot say enough nice things about the Yoga instructor, Tatiana. Very patient and encouraging
6. We also cannot say enough nice things about all the staff. To a person they were friendly, outgoing, and worked to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. I have never been so impressed as I was with the genuine feeling of warmth and pride in their work the staff at Zoetry have. TIP: Bring about $40 or so in ones to tip. TIP 2: This is a foreign country, so I believe the least a visitor can do is try to speak some Spanish to the staff. Even if you butcher it, you can tell the Staff appreciates it. Most speak fair to good English. Special thanks go all the wait staff, but especially Juan, and the activities coordinator Christina (thanks for getting our Candles !). Everyone was friendly and helpful to a fault.
7. We used Delta Vacations and the transfer to and from the airport (about an hour ride each way) was smooth and helpful
8. Free worldwide calling from room (anytime) and free Wi-FI in your room (good, but not great signal) allows you to keep up on the world if you want to do so.
9. A special fresh tea and cocktail are made daily

Cons:
1. Everyday every room receives the "Sundial" a newsletter with which restaurant meals will be held in and what resort activities will be held when. Occasionally the activity would be cancelled but there didn't seem to be an organized way to let people know tis
2. This is the tropics, so expect bugs, particularly Mosquitos and sand fleas. If you are one of those people who are eaten alive by bugs, PLEASE bring some DEET containing product with you. The staff fumigates every day, but the insects can still be pretty bad. We used DEET and my wife was still bit at least 30 times by sand fleas--and they itch!
3. The Timeshare people will accost you on the beach and offer a helicopter ride to their sister property to listen to a 2 hrs pitch--avoid these people (conspicuous in their black polo shirts and long pants on the beach) unless you are truly interested in timeshares.
4. The pool was pretty cold, but not unbearable and the outside hot tub was more of a "lukewarm" tub.

Be sure to drink only bottled water but all ice and drinking water in the restaurants is distilled. Take pepto-bismol, hydrocortisone cream and lots of sunblock.

Bottom line: We wanted rest, relaxation, and romance on our 20th anniversary trip and that's exactly what we got. If you are looking for the same, in a quiet, beautiful setting look no further than Zoetry in Punta Cana.

13 Thank Wallfam2
Thank you for your great comments especially “the most fantastic resort in the Caribbean”, customer service and perfect vacations are our top priorities.

We appreciate your review, thank you very much.

Best,
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Zoetry is a very nice resort, the beach there is really remote and wonderful. It is a small resort so you won’t fell like you’re in a tasteless, as usual touristic industry resort. The food is exceptional for an all-inclusive and I am quite a gourmet. It is probably one of the best resorts I ever stayed. The general manager is a chief so he is taking a great care about the food. There are five house wine to chose from for each meals and the menu changes every 3 days.

It is a perfect place if you want to rest and enjoy in a quiet place with luxury.

The only problem when I was there was the huge amount of mosquitoes in the premise. I hope they solved this problem fumigating. In fact it was hard to enjoy some place due to the mosquitoes. At the beach it was windy so no problem. But in the garden or in the swim out from the aqua suites it was horrible.

I rated it 4 out of 5 because I believe there are always room to improve in every place but really this a very good resort.

Mr and Mrs fontaine

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
I want to sincerely apologize for the mosquitoes,i hope we have the pleasure of serving you again!
Hope to see you soon greetings …
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 June 2011

The best part was the food - hands down. It was the most delicious food we have had on ANY vacation, much less an all-inclusive. The food was gourmet and healthy and wonderful. The drinks were also great, and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The only complaint was the mosquitos, but the hotel really does everything they can to get rid of them. The staff also is constantly cleaning the pools, rooms and restaurants, so the place is spotless. If you want a relaxing vacation with a nice beach and pool, this is for you.

Room Tip: garden view are more private than beachfront.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank vtdg
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, we could not be more pleased that you share your experience with us.

best regards,