“AMAZING STAFF, AMAZING BEACH, AMAZING FOOD”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #3 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“AMAZING STAFF, AMAZING BEACH, AMAZING FOOD”
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I came to zoetry with my family in June of 2011. The beach was beautiful, the food was fantastic (I would recommend eating every fish option on the menu). The resort was beyond relaxing and the staff couldn't have been better. I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants a trip where they can simply relax and enjoy the pleasures of the carribean.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank TRAVELAOG
patriciaguadalupe, Public Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Thank you so much for your review of your stay at Zoetry Agua.
We hope we have the pleasure to see you again.

Patricia Guadalupe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (877)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We went to Zoetry Agua for our honeymoon in late June 2011. We spent HOURS researching before deciding where to go, and we were so glad we ended up choosing the Zoetry. I thought I would try to post about some of the questions we had before coming, so here goes:

1. We arrived at PUJ just after midnight, so we were a little worried about the drive to the resort. Even though our flight was over 2 hrs delayed, the driver was there waiting with a sign with our name. The company is actually called Amstar--so dont be alarmed by that. The drive was a little nerve-racking because the roads do have a lot of potholes and the drivers drive pretty fast. I would just suggest trying to arrive during daylight hours, though, because we were mainly nervous riding so late at night. Anyways, yes, the trip is just under an hour and is a little rocky, but I've seen MUCH worse in other countries. And when you arrive at the resort you totally forget the car ride because the resort is just so amazing!!

2. We stayed in Room 48, which is a 2nd floor ocean front junior suite. It was awesome, and was even better than the pictures they have online. We had an amazing ocean view from our bed, and we had BOTH a rain shower and a tub (it was hard to tell online if that was the case or not, so we were happily surprised). The room was so spacious and we loved the big closets and double sinks.

3. THE FOOD IS AMAZING. My husband really wanted to go someplace with good food, and the Zoetry did not disappoint. We loved the Dominican breakfast in the morning and the steak fajitas from Indigo at lunch. Some of the menus changed throughout the week, others stayed the same, but we were even content eating those fajitas every day because they were so good! Also there is 24 hour room service, which was awesome. The menus are limited based on the time of day, but they have a great selection. We ordered breakfast in bed one morning, and it arrived hot and very quickly! Also, ask for bread and jam at breakfast--it is so delicious! One night we paid extra for a romantic dinner on the beach. It was pricey ($250 USD), but totally worth it. Our waiter, Fernando, was so fun and he even brought me a second salad because I didnt realize we had ordered raw tuna, which I dont like. The dinner lasted a few hours, and was just a really fun evening.

4. The whole resort is very clean and so beautiful. Walking through the grounds feels like walking through a paradise Lost-esqe jungle. Our room was serviced multiple times per day, and a few nights they put rose petals on the bed for us while we were at dinner, which was always nice to come back to. What others have mentioned about the beach is true--the area in front of the resort is very clean, but if you walk either way along the beach it is a little dirty. We ended up just hanging by the resort, since there wasnt much to see in either direction. Our favorite spot was on the beds by the pool--it is just so beautiful looking out over both the pool and the ocean.

4. One of the things I liked best about Zoetry was that the staff was very nice, but they werent always in your face. If you needed something, you could easily get it, but you didnt have someone pestering you all of the time. I will note that my husband and I are both fluent in Spanish, which was a pretty big plus to be able to fully communicate with everyone there.

Overall, we had the most relaxing, wonderful week. The place is even more beautiful than the pictures, and we are so happy we chose to spend our honeymoon at Zoetry!!

Room Tip: I emailed them to confirm my reservation and asked for the room I wanted, then confirmed again 2 wee...
6 Thank aem1123
We hope you had an unforgettable honeymoon at Zoetry and want to thank you again for choosing Zoetry Agua, we are so happy to hear you enjoyed our resort.

We hope to see you again!

Memphis
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed at Zoetry Agua for 5 nights the first part of July.

First, a comparison to the other resorts we've stayed in the last couple of years is in order for some context of my comments. In the past two years we've stayed at five star resorts in the BVI and Antigua. While those were great boutique resorts, ones that we'd give 4/5 stars and gladly return to in the future, Zoetry Agua exceeded them all in our opinion.

The positive comments below all deserve of the word "outstanding" by them and the general comment that I'd make is that the Zoetry exceed our prior resort experiences on almost every point (not to be meant as a slight on any other place we've stayed; Zoetry was just that nice):

1. The staff. Very kind and genuinely friendly. They would not let you lift a finger and always greeted you with a smile. There are to many to name individually and I may leave someone out and that would not be fair but suffice it to say that all of the staff were incredible and friendly.
2. The food and menu: gourmet and varied. Luis the manager is a chef by training and the food is a top notch aspect of Zoetry Agua. The resort is fairly small in size and still has three very nice restaurants, one with AC, along with two bars, one up front and one at near the beach/pool.
3. The rooms. We stayed in a first floor room about two buildings back from the beach and right near the pool. As a side note, I would not hesitate to stay in the "garden view" suites in the future because they are very close to the pool, restaurants, pool, etc.
4. The grounds: impeccable. They work daily cleaning the pools (without getting in your way by doing it early) as well as some aspect of the grounds (without getting in your way). As an example of Luis the manager's great leadership qualities, we noticed him out early in the morning (pre 8 am) one day helping his staff clean up the seaweed from the beach. The Zoetry Agua is the only resort we heard of in Punta Cana that even tries to clear up the sea weed (I got this from talking to other people on the airplane and looking at the resort next door). This was not an issue for us at all. It doesn't bite nor is it ugly. It's very natural.
5. The amenities. Computer with printer, pool tables, snorkeling equipment, Hobie, wifi throughout (it actually works unlike other resorts we've been to), Scuba lessons gourmet coffee bar, free calling to anywhere in the world, spa (free massage included), and tennis court (a very nice court). These are all free and included in the price of admission.
6. A truly all inclusive resort, unlike some others that advertise that they are all inclusive but don't include a diet coke in the price of admission!
7. Wine parring dinner. Luis the manager led this and did a great job of helping novice wine drinkers understand wine as well as the organic aspects of how it goes with different types of foods.
8. Distance from airport/remoteness. Some have commented on this as a negative, but frankly it's not a very big deal. The drive is about an hour and both ways we had a driver and an interpreter and they give you a lot of information about the island. We had Raphael and Mr. Willy on the way in and Jose and Emanuel on the way out. The cost 160 for two round trip which was great considering I paid almost 100 dollars to take a 25 minute cab ride back home once we returned to Memphis! Also, every Caribbean resort I've been to has been between 45-1:30 ride from the airport so this is very common.
9. Reception. Always helpful and informative. They are waiting on you when you arrive. We had to wait about 20 minutes for our room because the resort doesn't kick you out like others always to by a certain hour. They are flexible on your departing time and as a result you may have to wait a few minutes. Don't sweat that though: you're on vacation so relax.
10. Coffee. The coffee was awesome. It's locally grown and roasted and was the best we've had at any island resort
11. The other guests: everyone was very friendly, but not to the extent that they were intrusive or created a "party central" atmosphere. We met people from all over the world, to include Brazil, Russia, Ireland, Germany, and South Africa. I would say there was more international diversity here than you'll encounter in the BVI or Antigua which seemed to be more English or Scottish. There did seem to be slightly more Americans here than those places as well.
12. The price. The Zoetry Agua sees to be a little above the average price wise for Punta Cana, but it is literally half to almost 1/3rd the price of other Caribbean resorts we've stayed. I would still give it the exceptional ranking even if the pricing was the same, although I hope this doesn't cause them to increase their price! The DR is a poor country so I'm sure this lower price is reflective of that fact.

The only thing that could be better is the beach/water, but this is not the resort's fault so I don't fault or mark them down at all for that. The water was beautiful and very enjoyable. We swam in it every day and noticed many others doing so as well. However, you are on the Atlantic ocean so this resort and the others in the Punta Cana region are very similar. It isn't the BVI or Aruba. I hesitate to even mention that point because again it doesn't detract from our rating or would prevent me from returning. I love snorkeling and while there was some snorkeling I wouldn't call this a snorkeling destination like BVI (Antigua wasn't really a snorkeling destination either in my view although there was some snorkeling).

Another comment would be to take 50 or 100 single dollar bills with you and tip. The average income of a worker in the DR per day is what most American's make per hour. In fact, the cigar industry pays somewhere around 7-10 a day for manual labor, so you can see how positive an impact you can have on these nice people for very little sacrifice on your part. They never ask or expect a tip, but it seems like the fair thing to do particularly since you do it when you go out to eat in the states.

My last comment would be that I'm perplexed by the negative comments (very few but still some) that I've read on this list. Either these comments were coming from someone particularly sensitive about a given issue or there existed a very peculiar situation the day they experienced it. For instance, we did not get "bothered" by any of the time share folks. They were there, but they never approached us about anything. We did not experience any delays in services.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank grhoden
Thank you for writing us about how much you enjoyed your stay at Zoetry Agua, we are very pleased to hear you had a fabulous time, i hope we have the pleasure of serving you in a future.

Independence, Kentucky
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We stayed at Zoetry Aqua in late June 2011 to celebrate our 10 year anniv and had a wonderful time. Zoetry was everything we expected and more. From the moment we checked in to the moment we left, the entire staff was so friendly and accommodating.

Room: We had room #15, which was great. It's a swim-out suite (which we took full advantage of),and it's near the beach, main pool and Indigo bar. The "3x/day maid service" was like this: 1x per day they would thoroughly clean our room, 1x a day they would bring us clean towels, and then they had a turn-down service at night, where again they'd bring clean towels & take away the dirty ones. We loved the turn-down service. We always liked coming back from dinner or the bar and finding our room all set for the evening, with rose petals and sometimes another treat or surprise. I've seen some people comment on the A/C. I probably would have liked our room to be a degree or two cooler at night, but it was comfortable enough. I am very bug-phobic and was concerned about bugs in the room, but this was not an issue for us.

Food: We are still in withdrawals from the great food. I usually get tired of eating out while on vacation, but I never got tired of the food at Zoetry. My husband had something different for lunch and dinner every day. I was worried that my options would be limited because I don't like sea food, but that wasn't the case at all. I loved the fajitas at Indigo for lunch! A lot of people got room service for breakfast, but we enjoyed the basket of sweet rolls and homemade jams at the Amaya restaurant. We were able to take advantage of the Wine Pairing Dinner (even though it was on the same evening that we arrived - Wed - and was "full") and the Beach Grill on Fri. I would recommend both. We found the restaurant Oleana very, very warm but still ate there twice. The mosquitos seem to love that place, too! We did not blame Zoetry for this, though.

Service: The BEST. I can't imagine any place beating Zoetry on service - from the front desk, to the bar, restaurants, poolside, room service, cleaning service, etc.

Misc: There is lots of opportunity for privacy at Zoetry, but we also met some nice couples around the main pool and at the bar after dinner. The "house band" was so much fun! They came to the restaurants and bar each night. We took bug spray with a high content of Deet. We only used it in the evenings before going to dinner and did not get bit once. The spa prices were a bit steep for us, although not unexpected at a resort spa. One day the "spa ladies" were on the beach handing out "2 for 1" coupons, though, and we were able to get a couples massage for the price of a single. It was great. There is some plaster repair that needs to happen in the pools. This did not detract from our experience at all, but just an observation.

Overall we would love to go back to Zoetry some day and highly recommend it to any couple seeking a quiet, relaxing getaway. We had a great time!!

4 Thank KYMomx3
patriciaguadalupe, Public Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
Thank you for leaving your feedback regarding your stay at Zoetry Agua Punta cana.

I hope we have the pleasure of serving you again.

Best regards,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2011

This resort is kept up and maintained very nicely. The grounds were gorgeous. The rooms were very clean and tidy. We were on our honeymoon looking for a place that wasn't huge and crowded. If you're looking for a place to relax, chill, and get away from all of the noise of the 500 room all inclusives in Punta Cana...this is the place. We are from Louisiana where we are used to good food. The food at Zoetry was above expectations and very nice. The presentation was beautiful and the service was good.
The beach was very relaxing and the ocean was very calm, which was nice for wading and enjoying the water. Also, the spa was amazing!!! We would recommend this place for a honeymoon. We didn't hear any negative comments while we were here.

3 Thank trobe11
We are delighted to hear you had pleasant stay with us from our beautiful resort to our good staff.

If you have any recommendation for us to improve we would appreciate to hear them all.

Best regards,
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My husband and myself recently stayed at this resort in the Dominican Republic. Not everything was terrible but we had expected much more.

We paid for private transport from airport to hotel. Our driver was waiting for us with name sign in hand. He took us directly to our vehicle and away we went. The ride was approx. 1 hr from Punta Cana Airport. Our driver pressured us on the way to stop and buy 2 Presidentes. Our driver disappeared for 10 minutes or so, but did come back with our cold beer.
Upon arrival at hotel we were immediately greeted by wonderful, friendly faces. Our check in was fast and away to the room we went. The grounds of the resort are very beautiful and well manicured. We were taken to room #18 Oceanfront Jr. Suite on the beach. The location of the room was fantastic, only steps away from the beach. As soon as our luggage arrived and the resort staff was back to their usual routines the problems began. The room was less than mediocre. The doors in the room that lead to the porch didn't close properly and there were very large gaps that allowed the little bit of cool A/C we had out and the BUGS in. The hotel provides bedside bug spray for yourself and sheets. Not only does it stink but is VERY GREASY. However, you have no choice.
The Hotel allows unlimited International Calling. Our phone in room wouldn't make any calls. After a number of times asking the front desk to repair our phone line, it was finally fixed the next day. Still then, 1 out of 20 tries we were able to get thru. WIFI in room never worked the whole trip.
The whole concept of the open air bathroom is very nice and pretty but allows NO PRIVACY!! Rooms were supposed to be cleaned x3 daily. We had one for sure a day but no more. You have to beg for extra towels and pillows.
Our room also had a plunge pool outside on the porch. Once again, nice concept but SO DIRTY. The whole bottom of plunge pool was full of sand and water was cloudy with dead bugs floating on top. It was never clean the 4 days we were there.
My last main issue with the room was the air. Before we went to bed went set thermostat to 60 to try to get room to cool. Finally by 5 or 6 am things began to cool off.

SPA
The day after arrival we went to the spa to get our free 20 minute massage., It was fantastic. The next day we went back to the spa for facials and pedicures. Facials were 149.00 each. There was no steam, exfoliation etc. It was more 50 minutes of facial massage. We then had 2 Spa pedicures at roughy 80.00 each. I cant remember the exact price. The pedicures we a joke. We soaked our feet in half a bucket of water and again they didnt have the proper tools or eq. to give the service of a spa pedicure.

BEACH
The set up of the chairs on the beach was great. Spread apart so you weren't right next to someone but the beach itself was disgusting. During each night so much debris washes on shore it takes 5 men and all day to clean the trash. Water bottles, papers, toys, and baby dolls were the few things observed daily that washes on shore. It was kind of gross. We never saw anyone in the water the whole time. ???

SERVICE / STAFF
Eduardo was fantastic and very accomodating. He tried to make things right for us. Very attentive. We liked him. The waiters we all very nice and friendly. I really cant complain about anyone there.

I paid 6000.00 for our 4 night vacation. At half the price I wouldn't complain, but this hotel is not worth the nightly rate. Very dissapointed

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CCS28
HotelManagerlf, Hotel Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 9 July 2011
Dear Guests,

Thank you for sharing your experience in trip advisor; we encourage our guest to do, so we take your comments very seriously.

Is a shame that such unfortunate procedures can happen, we have communicate this issue with your travel agency transportation contractor. Please let your travel agency in the U.S. know, we must act together to avoid these terrible incidents.
We have taken action in fixing some of the gaps in the rooms, we are also looking at the quality of our repellent.

Concerning the air conditioning, please have in mind that it is a thatch roof and temperatures range among 17˚ to 18˚ to be honest it will not be colder than that.
We assure that open air bathrooms are 100% privacy guaranteed, I apologize for having the steam room broken, it is up and running.

Spa treatments were suppose to give you a wonderful and relaxing time, I’m really sorry that we didn’t satisfied your expectations in that area.

Beach is being cleaned everyday cause of the inconvenient that we are having with, however we appreciate your comments and we are definitely taking special attention to this.

We sincerely apologize for any kind of inconvenient you experienced, if it’s anything I can do, please let me know, guest feedback is a way to continually improve our service.

Thank You, we truly appreciate your time.

Luis Fitch
Hotel Manager Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana lfitch@zoetryresorts.com
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My husband and I went on a whim to the Zoetry Agua Punta Cana resort for 5 days a few weeks ago and had a fantastic time! We decided we needed a quick trip to relax and rejuvenate...booked our trip 2 days before we left) and we did just that.

The Spa is absolutely wonderful and Zen. I would say that it is a "must do" if you like facials, massages etc. The only “nightlife is the one you chose to create with the other guests at the bar and we did just that...we met several very nice couples and spent time with them!

The food and drinks were really superb especially for an all inclusive resort. We are picky foodies and frequent very fine restaurants all over the world so I was very nervous that it may not be so great- but it was. (If you are looking for buffets and fast 24 hour heat lamp food you will most likely not appreciate the freshness and detail put into each meal.) This is not the typical cruise ship/all inclusive set up...thank God! Finally an all inclusive has taken the concept to the next level. We even asked for special dishes that were not on the menu and the chef made them for us!

The rooms are very comfortable and have all of the amenities a 5 star resort offers. Housekeeping did a great job of making our stay very special and relaxing. The candles and oils with the turn down service were such a nice touch; we slept so well every night. Also the fact that there is no check out time really helped make the trip relaxing right down to the last minute.

Quick note to those of you who are considering a visit so I will reiterate what others have mentioned... Punta Cana is in the tropics located in the jungle coastal region of Central America. This means that you may feel warmer than usual, the sun will be very strong, you will see animals and insects you don't see everyday, it may rain because it is a rainforest and you will need to use repellent with some frequency. If you cannot cope with mosquitoes and insects don't go to the tropics in the middle of the summer months especially. You should most likely try to go in the months of Dec, Jan, and Feb. The resort does spray for the mosquitoes however you cannot completely get rid of them especially at this time of year. My husband is a magnet for them and with the use of a little spray at night he was not even bitten once.

Great resort- Thank You to all of the wonderful staff who made our stay so relaxing and fun!

We don't usually go anyplace twice because after all there is a big world out there to see however I can honestly say I would consider returning again for a relaxing spa getaway.

4 Thank Ashley1Ocampo
patriciaguadalupe, Public Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 6 July 2011
It means a lot to us that we have accomplished your high expectations and bring you the best service.
We hope to see you in your next visit, hoping we are your favorite choice in the Caribbean.

We appreciate your review, thank you very much.

Best Regards