“Just Magical!!!!”

Chester, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,567 helpful votes
“Just Magical!!!!”
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Whilst on a recent 21 night trip to Punta Cana we spent 3 nights at Zoetry Agua between 3rd – 6th October after an initial 6 nights at Excellence Punta Cana

This was our 28th trip to the Caribbean and our 10th trip to Dominican Republic. We have stayed in the North of the island twice and this was our 8th trip to the South so we like to think that we have a fairly good well calibrated holiday measuring stick

This was our second trip to Zoetry as last year when we were on the island we spent a day out here to see what it was like and liked it so much we decided to come back for a proper trip in 2011

As you would expect the transfer from Excellence was trouble free as it is only a quick 5 minute trip up the road. We arrived at just before 11.00 in the morning to be greeted by Ulises & Luis before being given a tour of the resort and shown to our room by “Maggie” who told us all about the resort, their AI concept which includes not only a 20 mins complimentary massage but also free laundry and international telephone calls.

The room we were allocated was a great swim up room close to the beach so we were very happy indeed. The bathroom as you will see from my photos is huge and stunning but unfortunately does not have any AC. To make things slightly worse the toilet also has an open slatted wooden window which allows not only bugs to come in but also the warm tropical air

The room was in a great location as you could see the main pool from our patio and got sun most of the day. Due to the bathroom area which is nearly as large as the bedroom not having AC the bedroom never really cooled down as much as we would have liked even if we kept the dividing door shut. The individual rooms do not have standalone AC units but rather a centrally controlled AC system. As reported in my “Live From” they did check it out for us and managed to get the room a little cooler.

That apart it was a great room - #14

The resort is actually more beautiful than we remember and it still very much reminds us of some properties we have stayed at in Africa. Very much like a private members club in the sun with great personal service

As with Excellence we were totally amazed that so many people recognised us from our previous trip – even more so as it was a mere one day last year – knowing “Papa Huhn” and talking with the staff about him must have left an indelible impression

Along the beachfront you have 12 beachfront suites, the main swimming pool and Indigo Restaurant. Going back from the beach up toward the main reception area you have two swim up serpentine pools, the balance of suites and the Amaya Restaurant, Spa & Gym. The main reception building is a huge open sided wooden building which along with the reception itself has a few shops, a coffee shop [Coco Café], the Canoa Lobby Bar and also the top restaurant - Olena

The grounds are much more tropical than we remember from our daytrip last year and are very well maintained indeed

The ocean front is deep but not very wide and is in keeping with the size of the resort. There are adequate beds and shades and the ocean is much calmer than at Excellence which is only 15 – 20 mins walk away. The beach is well maintained and the weed that was washed ashore was quickly collected up and barrowed away

Zoetry is the type of resort that quickly envelops you and so you instantly feel at home and at peace with the world.

For breakfast you have the choice of room service or an a la carte menu in the Amaya Restaurant which is open from 7.00 until 11.00. For Lunch you again have the choice of room service or this time the Indigo Restaurant which is open from 12 noon through to 16.00

In the evening in addition to room service you normally have the option of 2 of the three restaurants – Indigo, Olena or Amaya the latter being the only one which has AC. During our three nights the Indigo was never open in the evening which is a shame as it is a beautiful setting.

At the Amaya you can dine inside with AC or outside on a wraparound deck. Dining is between 18.30 – 22.30. Some nice features are the fact that the menus do change and dependent on the days you are staying they also lay on some other events such as the Wine Pairing Dinner, Beach BBQ & Author’s Cuisine Dinner

We did attend the Wine Pairing Dinner but as mentioned in my “Live From” thread did not really enjoy it as there were far too many guests invited – it is advertised as an intimate affair with invitations only being sent to a limited number of guests where in fact they invite everyone and on the night we attended it backfired as about 80% of the people staying at the resort wanted to attend

During our stay we had one lunch and one breakfast courtesy of room service and both meals were very good indeed

We found the menus and the food for all three meals of the day to be very good indeed and a step up from Excellence where we had spent the first 6 nights of our trip. You can always tell when a chef has succeeded with their presentation when the guest elects to photograph the food before eating it. We especially like the meal we had in the Olena where we met their new Executive Chef Hector who has a lot of interesting and creative ideas. The food in the Olena is “Europe meets Asia” and was very, very good indeed – so full of flavour

One of the many small details which impressed us was that the wine list also held a list of those wines which were included as part of the AI Package and you were asked to choose the one you wanted. The staff at Zoetry are very professional, attentive and chatty without being intrusive and the pace is leisurely which again fits in with the style of the resort.

In the evening apart from a trio of wandering minstrels there is no entertainment which was not a problem to us as it allowed us just to sit and chat over a drink or two with other guests. The Canoa Bar is run by Kenny [great young man] and is the sort of place where you only need to ask for a drink once and thereafter they just arrive as if by magic

All in all despite the problems with the AC in our room we had a wonderful 3 nights at Zoetry Agua. I feel the length of our trip was just a little bit too short and we will happily stay for one or two more nights next time round. A very big THANK YOU to all those that looked after us and made sure we had a great trip

All the guests we talked with were all having a great trip as well. Some had been meant to have been staying at Secrets Sanctuary and had either “been switched” to Zoetry or had decided to switch on the basis of what their TA had told them was happening with the change of management at Sanctuary

On the flipflop_man 360 holiday scoring matrix which measures 14 different parameters which are important to us Zoetry Agua scored an impressive 302 this time round

Should you be interested in seeing some photos please click on the link below:

Best viewed in slideshow mode

For photos and videos of other trips we have made feel free to check out

Please note that any time you enter the happy world of flipflop_man’s magic moments and memories it is always wise to have a drink in hand as there are always a lot of them to see – we are very lucky people.

As always I am happy to answer any questions

Room Tip: Use to the relevant TripAdvisor Forum to ask for advice about best room location
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank flipflop_man

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (908)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 October 2011

This resort is beautiful. We were oceanfront with our own pool and a gorgeous view of the palm trees. We actually had a banana tree in our backyard! The food was great and the drinks were plentiful. U have yo try the Kenny special or the banana mama! Our favorite staff members were restaurant Juan, bartender Kenny, JoAnn from coffee shop and Moises from SeaPro! We even went surfing at macao surf camp one day, it was really fun! If u want a romantic, quiet, upscale getaway - this is the hotel for you!

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank BeachGuy82
North Bend, Ohio
Reviewed 21 October 2011

If you are looking for a nice relaxing vacation...this is the place for you! Beautiful views, great food, good service. The pool and spa are breathtaking. With only 52 rooms, Zoetry is very exclusive........ I would definately recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Any room is great at Zoetry, but oceanfront is ideal.
5 Thank Jason H
patriciaguadalupe, Public Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Thank you, we greatly appreciate your comments directed at our service. We value our guests and try to exceed each guest’s expectations.

Best regards,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We had such high hopes for this trip, having read many of the other reviews, viewed all the photographs and quite frankly, shelled out a huge amount of cash, so I’m very sorry to say I was quite disappointed with our week in Zoetry Agua Punta Cana.

First of all, on arrival, we discovered that we had been bumped from the room we had specifically requested and paid for, in favour of honeymooners who had been transferred from (Secrets) Sanctuary. Instead of a king bed, we had two queens and instead of poolside, we got mid resort and with a shrub view. Apparently, Sanctuary is no longer part of Secrets so many of their guests were moved to other resorts. Having just travelled 20 hours to get there, I was in no mood to argue. We were told that we would be compensated for this (meal on the beach or spa treatment but not a refund as I suggested and was fine with) but came to our last day and still hadn't been moved or comp’ed. The staff member who checked us in was away for several days of the trip and must not have passed on the message. When we met him again and suggested that we could be credited for a spa treatment we had, he (staff member who checked us in) said we should have “asked first before booking the treatment..” but it was supposed to have been taken care of by Front Desk, surely? We were only comp’ed the spa treatment when I said “not to worry, I'll just deal with it through my travel agent when I get home”. Bear in mind that, due to our professions, we were extremely polite during any exchange with staff members, so please don’t think we were being rude in our transactions with the team.

As a result of the Sanctuary issue, what should have been a quiet week at the resort turned out to be an overbooked one, leaving the staff under resourced and overwhelmed. Some orders for snacks, meals or drinks were completely forgotten, took a very long time, or didn't come as requested, other guests told us they waited for 2 hours for room service (we never bothered ordering it), turn down service was sporadic and Bvlgari toiletries were not restocked towards the end of the week - I was glad I had my own travel sized shampoo and other items. They also ran out of house wine, beer and some of the menu items at dinner. However, the staff members were all so lovely and hard-working, that I simply didn't want to complain to them. They were clearly exhausted from working long, long days yet always had a smile for you.

Again, as a result of the overcrowding, there were issues with the availability of sun loungers with shade or parasols and a couple of other guests that I won’t go into detail over but, really, all of the sun loungers alongside the pool need parasols.

The food wasn't as fabulous as I'd come to expect from reading reviews. I had a badly upset stomach from lobster on my last night (checked with other guests who ate it and they had the same problem). The menus don’t vary much at all, and don’t describe what else will come with the dish. I found some of the food to be quite bland – the satay shrimp, for example, never saw a chilli or a peanut marinade and when I asked about it was handed some non-descript sauce that hadn’t either. Also, the lighting in the restaurants at night was very low, so low that I couldn’t see what I was eating. The best food we had was at the wine tasting evening but there, another problem. We heard about the Wednesday wine tasting evening on Monday night and tried to book it straight away but were told that it was full. Another couple went and asked about it just after us and got on the list, having lied about a birthday. We called again on Wednesday to ask about cancellations but were told it was full – then found out later that 6 people didn’t show up so could have gone. They did arrange another night on Thursday as many were disappointed on Wednesday, and it was a very nice event. If only the food every other night was as exceptional.

I did laugh at the other reviewers who complained about the wildlife in rooms and mosquitoes, thinking: “You’re in the tropics, fool, get over it”. However, having killed the 3rd cockroach in our bedroom, and now recovering from over 100 giant mosquito bites, I kinda get it. Plus, those tiny, cute frogs make a huge racket at night time and we had a couple of those bunking with us. They came in through the cracks around the doors along with mosquitoes. There are ways to deal with the mosquitoes like doing something with the pond in the middle of the resort with still waters and algae or treating the pool. Also, mosquito nets over beds and spraying the rooms daily would help. Primarily, as you do about drinking water and wearing sunscreen, WARN people about bugs eating you alive, poolside and in the middle of the day and let guests know about the sand fleas on the beach. I’ve travelled all over and know I suffer from “skeeter syndrome”, but this is the worst condition I’ve ever been in. I will have to see a doctor. Suggestion: wear repellent ALL DAY – seriously.

Allowing con-men on property to sell us crafts was the last straw for me. They were aggressive and rude, trying to charge me $475 for two paintings and telling me I knew nothing about art (I do) when you can get the same paintings for $20 a piece at the airport. The BBQ on the beach was ruined by these traders overcharging for cigars, paintings and jewellery all which you can get at the airport for a fraction of the cost. The AM sales man who tried to “register” us for future resort stays in the Caribbean was equally rude and aggressive. It all really lowered the tone.

I wouldn't rate this as a 5 star property. Here's why:

• The rooms are damp and everything smells musty now that we’ve returned home, including our luggage set. This is clearly due to the high humidity there, but surely there’s a way to fix the smell in the rooms. Hurray for travel sized Fabrese so we didn’t smell too bad on our 23 hour journey home. Boo for the chesty cough I have developed.. :(
• In a 5 star, everything should work and not look so shabby. The, um, “coconut art” in the room was broken and missing a coconut, the storage items for tissues are dusty, old and need replacing and some of the spa jets and steam room in the spa didn’t work.
• Some fans in the lobby bar would go a long, long way to making guests comfortable over drinks as the breezy beach bar isn’t open at night due to its proximity to rooms.
• Sporadic quality in service and facilities – the free laundry service doesn’t exactly clean your clothes and everything had to be re-washed on return home because of the aforementioned smell.
• Those beach-con men.

There is great potential for this place to be a 5 star but it needs a bit of a repair and makeover first. Having stayed in dozens of hotels and resorts world-wide, I would say Zoetry Agua is 3.5 stars and probably worth 2/3 of the money we spent.

On the plus side, I would say that the staff members are wonderful and that seems to be why other reviews are giving high marks. They work long days, are extremely friendly and polite and whatever it is you’re paying them, Zoetry, it’s simply not enough. Gratuities are (supposed to be) included in the price but early on we decided to use the dollars we had brought to shop and go on excursions to tip extra and those tips were gratefully received. Particularly awesome were Gregorio and Kenny at the bar, Joanna and smiley Juan on waiting staff, Rosalita and the other ladies on beach duty and the ladies in the Spa. The location and grounds are beautiful, and the peacocks roaming the grounds are a lovely addition.

Tip: Ask for your champagne and chocolate strawberries daily (we were never offered it and didn’t find out until the last day that it was available), if that’s your thing. BUT please, please be nice to the staff. We saw a small number of guests being rude and mean to staff members as the problems I’ve mentioned were clearly affecting them too, but we never felt the need to take it out on the staff.

I’m very sad that we didn’t have a better time. Believe me - having spent all that time, effort and money spent to get there, I wish I was gushing and posting a 5 star review but in all honesty, can’t. Sorry, Zoetry.

Room Tip: Insist on getting the room you booked, and ask for minor problems to be resolved. I feel that we sho...
14 Thank AJGBrennan
HotelManagerlf, Hotel Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 27 October 2011
The Staff were wonderful but this is no 5 star
Dear Irish Guests
Please accept our most sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations.
We truly appreciate your feedback through Tripadvisor, we believe it is the best way to improve.
Our philosophy is to give our guests more than they have paid and more than they expect.
Unfortunately that was not your perception, therefore it is a reality.
Please allow us to compensate if you had received a downgrade, That was just poorly handled by us, please see my e-mail address bellow this reply in order to settle in the best way possible.
As far as the lounger umbrellas we are in the process of acquiring more accordingly to our high demand, if we have failed to deliver the service please forgive us.

Hotel Manager Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana lfitch@zoetryresorts.com
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2011

this hotel was just absolutly amazing on every level! The food was delicious all the time, the staff was so kind and polite! everything of this hotel was absolutly perfect! we went for our honey moon and its the best place to relaxe and enjoy the beach! I felt like a princess the whole trip! I will deffinitly go back because it was the best trip in the caribbeans of my life! A special thank you to Elvis and Juan for there excellent service at the restaurant! Muchas Gracias por todo!

Room Tip: We chose the Junior Suite Garden VIew on the second floor and we had our little private pool just do...
1 Thank Vanessa M
patriciaguadalupe, Public Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
We are so happy to hear that you have a wonderful time with us, I’ll be sure to share your experience with all employees. Customer service and perfect vacations are our top priorities.

Best,

huntinigton NY
Reviewed 17 October 2011

What a beautiful gem! We just celebrated our 25th anniversary and never thought we'd find anything that compared to our honeymoon in Caneel Bay.....we may just have discovered its rival! Though the trip from the airport is long and a little frightening because of our driver....all was forgotten when we entered the gates at Zoetry.
Our luggage was taken, drinks were offered and we were given a thorough tour of the grounds which are impeccably kept....I was in awe.
The rooms couldnt have been more luxurious....from the many pillows on the bed, deep cushioned chairs and plush robes we felt extremely pampered!
This is truly a tropical paradise!

Room Tip: A room within view of the beach. Upper level is very private, lower level offers direct access to po...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ezroses
We appreciate greatly your favorable comments. We have worked very hard to make your stay a great experience and it means a lot to us that we have accomplished your high expectations.

If you have any recommendation for us to improve we would appreciate to hear them all.

Hope to see you soon greetings …

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 11 October 2011

The Zoetry Agua is an oasis of bliss. My husband and I have just returned after spending 9 days at the Zoetry in celebration of our 10th anniversary, and we can't believe our luck at having found this jewel. The quality of the food, the service and the accommodations are extraordinary. "All inclusive" is a term that many of us have come to associate with adequate or a less than satisfying experience. However, the Zoetry is my concept of "all inclusive" ....not one wrist band or buffet in sight! Quality ingredients are freshly prepared and well executed dishes are the expectation, rather than the exception. The unique thing about the Zoetry is that they provide you with nutrition information on each dish which allows you to select those dishes that meet your needs, and they will prepare dishes to address food related issues! It doesn't get more "food friendly" than that. My husband and I have been accused of being "foodies", and we found the Zoetry's wines, espresso bar, top shelf liqueur, Chef hosted dinners and wine pairings were a welcome theme of the Zoetry Agua experience.

However, don't think its all about the food. To arrive at the Zoetry you will drive for about 45 minutes through beautiful countryside, leaving behind Punta Cana's casinos and "spring break" crew. The lobby's architecture is open and tropical and you immediately feel you've stepped into a resort that is a cut above the rest. The rooms are well appointed and we highly recommend the beachfront suite with plunge pool. The spa is a peaceful and aesthetically beautiful space.

We highly recommend that you take a deep breath and relax. Care will be taken to meet your needs, however it make take a bit longer than you have come to expect in the States. However, I suggest, you've left the States to slow down...so slow down. Pause, relax and remember this is a beautiful tropical island and everything operates on "island time", not a New York minute.

We plan to recommend the Zoetry to all our friends and family for years to come.

Room Tip: Beachfront provided beautiful views and easy access.
5 Thank Tfergie603
patriciaguadalupe, Public Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Teresa, It is an honor you chose us to celebrate your special occasion and I am so glad our staff made your accommodations even more memorable. I hope you will choose us again in your future travels.

Customer service and perfect vacations are our top priorities.

Best,