“A relaxing vacation”

Ranked #3 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A relaxing vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

My husband and I just returned from our vacation at the Zoetry and had a wonderful and relaxing vacation. From the reviews we had read we were a bit nervous to stay there, but in every review there appeared to be some truth and a little exaggeration.

This resort truly gives you the chance to sit back, relax and reconnect with your spouse. Any and everything we could have wanted was delivered to us and always with a smile. From the room service 24 hours a day with a full menu, to the wonderful ladies serving us on the beach, you really do not have to lift a finger and can really enjoy every moment. The staff was amazing and always took the time to get to know us and remember our preferences. This is nothing that you could ask for that they wouldn’t make happen. The group dinners that they host are a wonderful way to get to know other couples and enjoy the experiences. The wine pairing dinner was wonderful and Alain was truly spectacular at hosting it. The knowledge of the wines he presented was very nice and it actually allowed my husband for the first time to find a red wine he liked and understand what he enjoyed about it. The food was amazing, except the lobster which was always overcooked, but the presentation was phenomenal. The romance of this resort is truly what couples should come for. You can pay a bit extra to do a special dinner on the beach and it’s worth every penny. The service as always is unbelievable, the menu is outstanding and the ambience of the setting is more than I could have ever asked for. The nightly turn down is something you will not find at a larger resort, which is something incredible all on its own, and one of my favorite experiences.

I will be honest we did have a few negative experiences at this resort. When we first arrived, our room was not ready. Not a big deal, but after traveling all morning, and then the hour drive to the resort it would have been nice to change and lay down. Not too big of a deal though. However, that afternoon we wanted to sign up for the Chef's tasting dinner and we were told we were not able to because it was "overbooked!" In a resort of 51 rooms and that prides itself on the "Endless Privileges" this definitely put a bad taste in our mouth. At Zoetry they place a sheet in your room nightly telling you about the next day's activities and you are to sign up, but how can you tell a couple that just arrived at 3pm that afternoon that they are unable to take part? I would think that saving a spot for couples arriving that day would be the most important to give us the opportunity to start our experience. It really honestly made us feel that we were not part of this exclusive resort which is not a great feeling in the first couple of hours of your arrival. Yes, there were bugs and lizards, but it's the Caribbean, it's to be expected. However at night they turn off all the lights and it is complete darkness. It is very hard to get back to your room especially if you have had a couple of drinks. Our last day there we arranged to have our breakfast sent to us at 4am since we had an early flight. The room service guy brought it to us, but as he was leaving we heard a loud bang outside, and plates crashing. He tripped in the dark and we felt horrible. This is something they really should address.

If you want a relaxing vacation, with exceptional service then Zoetry Agua Punta Cana is the place for you.

Room Tip: Try and get a second floor unit across from Amaya resturant. Even though we weren't ocean front...
6 Thank Brittany S
patriciaguadalupe, Public Relations Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
On behalf of the hotel and staff, I want to sincerely apologize for the level of service you experienced with the authors cuisine.
If I can do anything to reconcile this, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
Best,

Guadalupe Olguin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

My wife and I were in need of a relaxing vacation before Thanksgiving, and we hit the jackpot with Zoetry Agua Punta Cana. With onlly about 52 rooms, it was private and calm. As such, it was very easy to meet people and for the staff to get to know our likes and dislikes. The service was spectacular for the most part (only issues: it took room service almost an hour to deliver our food and it took multiple phone calls to get our transportation coordinated with the VIP travel service).

The food was incredible! It was much better than any resort at which we stayed in the past, including the Ritz Carlton in Hawaii.

Structurally, it's like living in a multi room treehouse, which was cool. The rooms were spacious and look just like the pics on the website. Though they spray for insects daily, we still had to kill a couple if spiders, but overall it was comfortable. You're in nature, so you have to expect some insects here and there. Mosquitoes were prevalent, but once I covered myself with the resort-provided bug spray, they stopped eating me up.

Geographically, it's about 75 minutes from the airport. Sections of the road have a lot of potholes so those parts of the ride are a but irritating.

Overall, this place has set the bar for relaxing vacations. We had a great experience.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank kjc596
We are so happy to hear that you have a wonderful time with us, I’ll be sure to share your experience with all employees. Customer service and perfect vacations are our top priorities.

Best,
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

From the moment we arrived to the resort we were treated fantastically. The staff, food, and amenities were amazing. Our personal suite was gorgeous and quite large with a living area, courtyard area, large bedroom, and large restroom with a garden shower. Every single staff member we came in contact with was helpful, friendly, and wanted nothing more than to make our experience perfect. We left feeling like we had been given anything and everything we desired, whenever we desired. If you want room service at two in the morning; there is someone who honestly seems happy to bring it to you... or, feel like not leaving your comfy spot on the beach for lunch or to get a cocktail?... No worries, there is a lovely staff member who is already on her way with an iced beverage and a special menu just for you! My husband and I chose this resort for our honeymoon and we couldn't have been more pleased. We WILL be returning!

Room Tip: Suite Taino was amazing, just make sure to close your bedroom door to the bathroom to keep the A/C a...
4 Thank Robin B
Thank you, on behalf of the hotel and staff, I want to thank you for your comments it’s really important to us knowing you have had a great experienced.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 6-night stay at the Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, and it exceeded our expectations in just about every way. I was nervous about bugs, insects, lizards, etc., in the room based on previous reviews, but our room was spotless and bug-free throughout the trip. We stayed in a second-floor garden view room near the beach, and it was immaculate.

The food was a great surprise. We live in one of the largest cities in the United States and eat out frequently at top-ranked restaurants. We were not expecting the food to be excellent at the Zoetry, but every meal was wonderful, including room service. Breakfast was served with delicious jams and jellies, and chips/pico de gallo/guacamole accompanied lunch. We ate at all three restaurants for dinner and did a special "Author's Dinner" offered one night. That was a multi-course meal with wine, and the food was prepared by an outside chef.

The service here cannot be beat. We have stayed at other five-star all-inclusives in the Caribbean, and no resort has come close to this kind of service. There are too many fantastic employees to name each one, but special kudos to Kenny, Juan, Vladimir, and Yahaida. They made our trip truly spectacular.

5 Thank KS713
Thank you, we greatly appreciate your comments directed at our service. We value our guests and try to exceed each guest’s expectations.

We are glad you felt welcomed!

New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

All the people I went with to the Zoetry Aqua resort in Punta Cana had a horrible time and experience. It was really disappointing because none of us had been to the DR before and were really looking forward to a relaxing vacation. For the amount of money that was spent on our trips I would say that it would be more worthwhile to stay at another resort in Punta Cana. Everyone I was with was happy to leave, which is a shame because we were all there for a special occasion and we stayed for a couple extra days in an effort to make a vacation out of it as well.

The resort did have a rustic feel to it, which accurately captured its ‘eco-friendly’ description. Palm trees surrounded the entire property. I would say it felt more like we were on a glorified camp ground with a bar and a few restaurants than a resort. The rooms were cleaned and fumigated at least three times a day, but we all still had cockroaches and centipedes in our room. The bug spray was acetic and clearly did its job because the dead bugs were all over the room, and it was so acetic it removed the nail polish from all of the women’s nails.

The staff at the Zoetry were always kind and came to help as soon as they could when we all called about our toilets clogging and breaking down multiple times a day in addition to coming to change our sheets because they were covered in dead mosquitoes throughout the entire trip. A staff member even came in the middle of the night to help with a lizard that crawled under my bed.
The resort grounds are well kept and dimly lit at night. If you want to feel like you are enclosed in a jungle filled with bugs, sleep in rooms with thatched bamboo roof tops, and have few restaurant choices with long waiting times, this might be a place you would like.

There was one restaurant choice for lunch, two restaurants for dinner, and one for brunch. I still cannot figure out why the resort advertises wellness as going beyond good health and nutrition, because the food choices were limited and one of the most appetizing choices was pizza. After eating the same pizzas for days for lunch, they lost their appeal. As long as you come to dinner not being hungry and could withstand a 40 minute wait time then you will enjoy the romantic ambiance and musical travelling band inside.

I was surprised by the sand at the resort. It was brownish rather than the normal white corral beach sand seen at other resorts in Punta Cana. There was someone at the beach everyday trying to clean the debris, which is good, but I had never seen such a large amount of debris on a beach before. A friend of mine actually cut his hand on some coral in the water and needed medical attention, but the people at the resort told us that they had no one on the grounds who could help nor did they have anything to treat it with (i.e no first aid kit). I think even a camp site would have this!

It rained for two straight days during my stay. We tried to all go to the indoor pool and spa, but the water was too cold and we could not go in. We asked the staff to raise the temperature of the water several times, but after two hours of waiting we all gave up. The sauna was out of order for the duration of our stay so I did not get to experience that. We were left with the option of playing a board game. Here we were on a resort in the DR and the only option we had was to drink and play a board game?

I felt very compelled to write this review because I stayed at another resort in the Punta Cana and had a wonderful time! It was only 20 minutes away from the airport, as opposed to 1.5 hrs like the Zoetry. After a long flight it makes a big difference. The other resort I stayed at was cheaper and was also all inclusive. It had over half a dozen five star restaurants and had a WHITE sanded beach with pink coral in it. NO LIE! There were several pools there so you could be around people at the swim up bar or be alone in a more private pool if you liked. The best part was the resort was surrounded by palm trees as well yet there were NO bugs. I did not have any bugs in my room and I even was able to sit in an outdoor hot tub which was on the back deck of my room and drink champagne without getting attacked by bugs! The setting was romantic and the grounds were well kept, it would be great for a wedding. Also, the staff was equally as friendly at this resort. I had personal staff who tended to me and knew me by my first name. If I needed anything, all I had to do was ask. It rained for 3 hours while I was at the resort, and I had the choice of going to one of several bars or restaurants, playing pool, going to the Casino, spa, hookah lounge, cigar bar, or taking a tour of the grounds etc.

I write this review very sincerely, and I really was being as honest as possible because I do not want someone else to experience the vacation I did. I think everyone enjoys different experiences, so it really depends on what kind of vacation you're looking for when you choose a resort. I personally look forward to my vacations because they are few and far between and I wouldn’t want anyone to unwisely spend their money nor have the vacation experience that I did if they werent looking for it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank TA1234566
AlainBERTHELOT, Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Thank you for your comments.

We are sorry about the disappointing experience you describe and kindly rest assured that we already are dealing with the issues you raise.

For further clarification, please feel free to contact me directly on ABerthelot@ZoetryResorts.com

Alain BERTHLOT / Hotel Manager
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stayed at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana for a week at the very end of September 2011. I was very impressed! It is a secluded, beautifully manicured, 50 suite oasis designed to soothe your cares away. When I first arrived at the property I was worried it would be too quiet for me, since I have enjoyed the atmosphere of the larger Secrets resorts, but I fell in love with this place. It was like I had my own private resort with a bunch of friends.

It was a blast. It was so intimate that it allowed me to really get to know all of the warm and delightful people who work there, and build great friendships with the other couples but I discovered you can make it crazy and fun whenever you want to, and also be peaceful and calm whenever you wish. It is all up to you!

One the many highlights of each day was meeting at the lobby bar each night where we were hosted by the most entertaining bartender I've ever met, Gregorio. Then my favorite part- dancing bachata, meringue and salsa to the to the music of the fantastic band with the brothers Ramon and Christian singing. Sometimes, when I didn't have a dance partner, the band members would dance with me and sing at the same time- or the bartender, concierge, or other staff would graciously oblige me.

During the day, there are many activities offered that are included. I highly recommend taking advantage of yoga on the beach with Sandra. I never liked yoga before! Sandra is an incredible instructor who I got to know very well. I only wish she could come back with me! Horseback riding on the beach is also included, and a fantastic experience. Moses took me out sailing on Hobie cats when I felt the urge, Vladimir took me snorkeling, and I ended each day in the spa’s hydrotherapy pool. The treatments were great, especially the massage therapy. A 20 minute session is included, but you will definitely want more.

Of the 50 suites, we stayed in an oceanfront suite with a plunge pool. It was very large and open. I liked that the bathroom & bidet were not connected or in the same room as the shower and bathtub; they were on either side of the double vanity. It was constantly cleaned, and our laundry was done with no extra charge. The food was of a very high standard, and the room service was always delicious.

There are too many people to mention and thank, but here are just a few of the many people who made this trip so special:

Gregorio
Janet
Christian, Ramon, Albert
Moses
“Coffee boy”

If you want to refresh yourself in a romantic, intimate, luxurious setting, and if you are okay with being spoiled, I would look no further. The only suggestion I could make is to bring good old American bug spray if you are the type that mosquitoes love. I don’t think theirs is quite as strong as ours. My companion didn’t have one bite all week, whereas I came back with many itchy souvenirs!

Besides a bug bite or two, there was nothing about this vacation that didn’t far surpass my expectations. Although, I must warn you not to let Gregorio pour you too much “mama juana” or else you may not remember your trip! Please feel free to e-mail me any specific questions. I send my sincerest thanks to the entire staff and hope to be back again soon.

Happy Travels!

Room Tip: Ocean front suites can't be beat!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emmypar
Thank you very much for your comments, I will make sure all the staffl will be recognized for his wonderful job.
Hope to see you soon.
Regards

Montréal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

We arrived after a 1-hour "soso"ride at the Zoetry Hotel knowing not much about it (we decided to leave a few days before). What a pleasant surprise ... no one was waiting for you with a glass of "faux champagne"! We were greeted at the reception by of team of professionals. It took exactly 5 minutes ! And we did not have to wear this ugly "bracelet" that other resorts impose on you.

Room Tip: Suites no.3 is perfect (on a small "serpentine"swimming pool