“great hideaway!”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #2 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Staff is helpful, a very personalized service. I fell in love with the amazing rooms.
Great seafood!
I travelled with my baby and everything went swiftly, they even managed to buy formula milk for me. It was a nice family holiday.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank ycj2014
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for the time you dedicated to let us your feedback regarding your holiday at Zoëtry Agua. Your comments continuously help us in refining our standards and the service to our guests.

Your satisfaction is our everyday job but surprising you is our main goal and I am glad to know we achieved it beyond your expectations!

The entire Zoëtry Team is looking forward to welcoming you very soon to our peaceful oasis!

There are newer reviews for Zoetry Agua Punta Cana

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We returned recently from six nights at Zoetry. It was great, just what we expected. Close to perfect. Before leaving, I read all the reviews, pro and con, and now I seriously wonder about those who wrote such scathing reviews and what they expected. Yes, there were a few parents with kids (didn't mind them), food is somewhat repetitive, and there are some communication breakdowns, and a few things go wrong, but that's what traveling is- relaxing and taking it all in stride. Folks if you want something that feels like you didn't leave home, then don't leave home- or go to a large chain resort with no personality.

What we liked about Zoetry: isolated location; not much to do but read, hang out; incredibly friendly and genuinely caring staff (shout outs to among others-Luismi, Mercedes, Dayanara, Jendi, Maria in housekeeping, Wanda, Claudio, Jordana); nice rooms; clean; peaceful place. They work hard to accommodate your interests, special needs.

Not inexpensive, but it was just what we wanted and expected- a break from normal life.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank wallymoon

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. Thank you for your support that allows us to provide you the highest treat. We truly appreciate your comments about the staff service, it is a great motivation for us.

Our main aim is to offer a special treat to our visitors by providing them more focused services and playing our part to ensure that we will go beyond your expectations!

I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed our location and that you felt comfortable during your stay. Therefore, we hope to host you the next time you visit Punta Cana.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Firstly the Zoetry is a beautifull resort and the pools /rooms [we stayed in a larger room in the new section ] are first class .
We had our children with us and at age 17 and 11 we were happy to have no interconnecting doors between our rooms however with younger children they should allow for interconnecting doors .
The beach was superb the Spa first class the coffee shop great and the guy who runs it fantastic .
Great pools and even when busy it does not feel so .
The major downside is the service
To have to wait most mornings 45-50 minutes for breakfast and a similar time for lunch and in a couple of instances over a hour to get a cup of tea then the service staff cannot understand english so it is pot luck if you get what you ordered ruins what could be a fantastic resort .
Despite chasing and asking for your food [and tea and us Brit"s can not start the day without a cup of tea!!] the waitress staff just look at you with a blank face it got so bad one day a whole group of guests went to see the manager .
He advised it was his second day on the job and he would do his best to change it Indeed one of the concierge I spoke too said the service was killing them [his words ] .
Would I go back ???
The resort is stunning and having never been to Dominican republic before I was very impressed Indeed we visited dreams one night and hated it the resport had no soul the Zoetry is a wonderfull place immaculate and so beautifull.
However the service would stop me going back as for the star rating and money you pay it is simply not good enough .
A stunning beautifull place badly let down by service ...

Room Tip: we stayed in a larger suite on the new side it was very clean tidy
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank oakhillsports
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for the time you have dedicated to review our Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana. At our Resort we constantly strive to meet your needs and exceed your expectations, therefore your feedback is very important to us.

It pleased us to learn that you appreciated our facilities and the beauty of our grounds. Our guests can enjoy a total relaxing environment at our Zoëtry Agua, the perfect getaway for your health and wellness. Great to hear that you liked our beach, Spa and Coco Café.

On the other hand, please let us express our deepest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with breakfast/lunch; your feedback is an important part of our daily work and it is through constructive comments that we are able to improve our services. However corrective actions have been taken because if there is something that disturbs your vacation, we should be able to do something right away.

We are looking forward to hosting you in our Zoëtry Agua paradise, in the meantime please accept our best regards.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We booked this 6-night, 7-day trip with friends to celebrate my 50th birthday and for both couples to get some R&R from work and our children, so that we could come home refreshed. When researching where to go, I wanted something warm, nice beaches, small/boutique hotel, with good food and spa amenities. Additionally, we wanted a direct flight from PA so that we didn't have to spend a lot of time traveling. When I saw the photos of Zoetry Agua on-line I knew it was the spot. I loved the look of the property with its cane-thatched roofed suites and natural materials. As we called it, “Elegant Robinson Caruso."

Our flight was easy and direct. We arrived at the hotel and it was like heaven. Upon our arrival to the hotel, we were greeted by the staff with a cold washcloth to refresh our hands and face after our travel, and a fruit drink. We were then escorted to our ocean front villa, room 167, which was clean, crisp and had a walk out to the beach and our own private dipping pool. Some have commented that the pool is cold, which it is, but when you are hot from being on the beach, it was refreshing to go cool off in the pool. The bathroom was well appointed with my favorite Bvlgari products. There was a beautiful bowl of fruit, incense, massage oil, massage block, and a burlap Zoetry beach bag. Our champagne was in our room and chilled upon arrival. For the reviewer who mentioned never receiving their champagne, there was a card next to the fruit that said sometimes they do not leave the champagne because they want it to be available when the guest prefers to drink it, so please call to make arrangements for its delivery (or something to that affect.)

Our culinary experience was top rate. Having said that, I must mention that the chef, Sergio, was new to this hotel as were some of the other key management staff and they are all fantastic! It was definitely 5 star, so if you were visited previously, and did not have the same impression, I’m confident that you would be impressed if you visited again under the new team. Our first night we had a wonderful dinner at Olena. Lobster Risotto was delicious! Atmosphere was very relaxing and unique. Breakfast was made to order at Amaya the next day. We were also treated to two wonderful lunches on the beach. First day a cooked whole grouper served with vegetables and other fresh/delicious sides and then a lobster paella (photo posted), which tasted as good as it looked. Several days we ordered shrimp ceviche from our beach chairs. Excellente! For breakfast, we had a wonderful omelet with vegetables, but sometimes they also offer a buffet of fresh fruit and pastries as well. The chocolate/chocolate chip warm muffins were amazing! I love espresso and lattes and thus was a frequent visitor to the Coco Café.

The spa was tranquil and relaxing. During my stay, I indulged in a deep tissue/hot stone massage, vitamin-C facial, collagen facial and enjoyed the steam and sauna daily as well as the water therapy showers and warm spa pool. The smells and sounds in the spa took you to a beautiful place.

We took daily walks on the beach which were safe and beautiful. As another reviewer mentioned, when you walked the beach between hotels, there was trash on the beach, which is unfortunate, but I’ve found to be the case in many other countries and it wasn’t as bad here. We also used the exercise room which had a couple of treadmills, elliptical machines and weights that I didn’t personally use. The only regret I have is that I didn’t take the yoga classes that are offered, which I do weekly back at home. I forgot my yoga clothes and just didn’t feel compelled to join a class. The beach and ocean was always calling me back. Which by the way, the ocean color and temperature were perfect! Horseback riding is offered by an organization outside of Zoetry, which I wanted to do, but the horses seemed a bit thin and overworked and I didn’t feel right about it. That is not a reflection on this hotel, but rather the country and outside organization.

All in all, this is a beautiful property with a staff that is there to help you feel relaxed and cater to your needs. With every thank you that I extended, “my pleasure” was stated back to me. I mean from every person, every time! That is remarkable. The staff does not hover over you, which I prefer, but if you want them or need their assistance, all you need to do is ask. In particular, I would like to personally thank, Lionel Gomez (GM), Miguel (Sommelier), Felix (Food & Beverage Manager), Sergio (Exec Chef), Emely (Spa Director) for making us feel so welcome and treating us like royalty. Muchos Gracias! There were so many others, but I cannot remember all of them, so suffice it to say, a general thank you to everyone.

Room Tip: Room 167 in the new part with a ground floor ocean front was excellent.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Cindy R
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Guests,

On the behalf of the entire Zoëtry Agua staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to come back to us with your kind feedback which will be helpful to other guests considering our immaculate private Resort. We greatly appreciate to hear that you loved the outstanding and unique experience you lived among us.

We are delighted to learn that you tasted healthy and fresh dishes, we strive to offer a special gastronomic experience to every guest. Everything has been thought out to go beyond your expectations and fulfill your needs.

At our Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana we have every desire to address your needs, our main goal is to take you through a paradise where you can check for yourself the friendliness and hospitality of our land. Our Resort invites you to discover the tropical colors of the Caribbean in an exceptional luxurious setting, relax on the beach and let yourself be pampered by our specialists of wellness.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon in our Zoëtry Agua paradise!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

My husband and I visited the week before Christmas. The drive from the airport was a quick 30 minute drive. Booked private transport through Amstar, Round-trip was $170 for 2 people.
Arrived at the resort around 3pm, was quick and painless. We were given a quick tour of the property and asked to wait by the bar for our room to be ready. Inquired about an upgraded room and the guest services rep said he would see what he could do. A quick 20 minutes passed and the guest services rep found us and escorted us to the CoCo suite. Which turned out to be the best suite we have ever stayed in within the Zoetry and Secrets properties. The suite was enormous with beautiful amenities, entry into the serpentine swimming pool, wonderful view of gardens and ocean views. I have stayed in swimup suites before that limited our privacy, however this one felt secluded and private.
When we stayed at the resort and it was at half capacity. The new addition to the resort had just opened and didn't really appear to have too many guest.
The resort is quite and relaxed and allows for lots of private time. You can walk as far as you want to the beach. The beaches were clean. The ocean was clean however the rip currents were slightly strong and made swimming a little difficult. The swimming pools were never crowded and chairs were always available. Pool service was spotty. You would be better off walking up to a bar to get a drink yourself. The bar in the main swimming pool is located in the restaurant. The newer swimming pool does have a swim up bar. The water in the swimming pool was very frigid however definitely swimmable if you needed a cool dip.
Food was the one thing that this resort was lacking. Breakfast was served in one restaurant and the menu never changed. The options could have been a little more healthy. Lunch was served at one restaurant near the swimming pool and the menu did not change either. Breakfast and lunch at this resort was our least favorite meals. The week that we stayed at the resort all of the restaurants were open for dinner service. All the meals we had for dinner were good, they could've been excellent but they were just good. Overall the service in the restaurants was mediocre. During breakfast, lunch, and dinner you could have anywhere from Two servers to six servers. This causes much confusion. Please be patient and allow for at least two hours for lunch and dinner. The food service at this resort is the only thing negative I would have to say about the resort.
We participated in all of the activities that the resort offered. The beach horseback ride was amazing. The ride lasted just over an hour. We road the horses from the resort's beach to the ranch and were escorted back to the resort via bus. We also participated in the cave tour. The tour was a little long and a little boring but we were glad we went. Was about three hours total before we came back to the resort but it's a nice break in the day.
The spa was a little disappointing. We did receive the free 20 minute massage, Which was actually perfect. We stay at zoetry properties because of the spas. Zoetry Bonita has a wonderful spa / hydro circuit. This resort could not compare to the other spas. The steam shower was broken the entire week were there. The Hydro swimming pool had broken faucets and the whirlpool did not work a few days. Very disappointing to resort that prides itself for spa. We decided not to book Spa appointments because of the broken items in the spa. The spa menu did not look to appealing.
Housekeeping staff was amazing, Concierge staff was very attentive and always knew our names.
This resort had it all, the location was private and secluded, the resort itself is beautiful. This resort could be a five-star however the food service / quality and spa issues holds it back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blondehabs
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Taiguey: Godd Day - Good Sun

Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for choosing Zoetry in this trip to the caribbean and also thank you for sharing your feedback with other travelers. Remember that Zoetry is your home away from home.

I am glad that you and your husband loved your suite and the facilities of the hotel. unfortunately we did not meet your expectations with the spa and the food service. I personally met with the managers of those departments and we are taking care of the causes that you mention so we can avoid things like this happen again.

Once again my sincere apologies and hoping to give you the welcome back to Zoetry.

Namasté

Reviewed 20 January 2014

A beautiful resort that blends an authentic Caribbean feel and true luxury. The rooms include top-notch amenities, with hard wood floors and Bvylgari bath products. Free horseback riding and kayaking!

Room Tip: Try to stay on the top floor for a fantastic view of the roof
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Got_2_Go_2_travel
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Taiguey: Good Day -Good Sun,

Dear Guest,

First than anything thank you for taking your time to write this review, at Zoetry we take pride in ensuring the customers satisfaction and it really pleased us is that you really loved your stay here. Our guests are the reason why we work so hard and find ways to make the experience at our hotel a unique one.

We are looking forward to welcoming you to our peaceful paradise!

Namasté.

Lionel Gomez

Reviewed 19 January 2014

It was our honeymoon. Something to remember for the rest of our lives. And it was, for all the wrong reasons. Our 5* luxury all inclusive honeymoon descended into a 3* (at best) expensive holiday

A 14 night window opened up in our busy schedules to have our honeymoon over Christmas and New Year 2013/14. We have been to many beach resorts around the world but have never been to the Caribbean. So, we contacted our AGENT to discuss options. We were clear in our briefing that a small boutique hotel, a nice sophisticated quiet place, adults only resort was preferred. It was through the agent’s introduction that we came to know about Zoetry Agua.

We were sold on their image of exclusivity and wellness, and we were assured that this resort was akin to a boutique hotel due to the limited number of rooms, which were all suites. Plus, because of an exclusive benefits deal that the agent had, we would get an upgraded room (if available), extra free spa massages on top of the existing Endless Privileges Program, fresh bottle of champagne daily (which we did not receive, but we were not too fuss about it) and a welcome gift courtesy of the resort. (also did not receive)

Rooms
All the rooms are supposedly ‘suites’. We wouldn’t personally call them suites, merely glorified rooms. There is a large bed, a TV, an Apple dock. It’s basically a large hotel room. And it’s pretty basic in terms of decorations and facilities.

During our stay we had two rooms. On arrival we were not offered our promised upgrade. No special VIP desk to greet us, and no tour operator staff. The first room we stayed in turned out to be in the older part of the hotel. It felt as though it hadn’t been occupied for a while, with a damp musty smell. It was also very dark, with the terrace and therefore the room obscured by a huge number of plants. Within 30 minutes of being in the room, we had a leaking ceiling, with water cascading through the bathroom ceiling. Cold drips whilst taking hot bath wasn’t pleasant, especially as the drips were from the bathroom above us! We reported this to the Front Desk, who assured us it would be dealt with whilst we were at dinner. It was not dealt with.

After 2 nights of leaks, and the lack of upgrade (despite the hotel being relatively empty at the time), we complained. We were moved, to a beach front room, also in the ‘old’ section. Beach front rooms are the same room, the same size, the only benefit being the location, right by the beach. The view towards the beach from our sliding doors was picture perfect. We thought we could finally begin our perfect honeymoon.

Unfortunately we had no such luck. After 5 or 6 days we had a succession of cockroaches in the room and in our plunge pool for 3 consecutive nights! We had to ask to have our room fumigated. Needless to say, there was always a concern when entering the room, especially as I’m terrified of roaches.

Staff
All the staff are helpful, friendly and hardworking. They are trying; however the service is very average. Some staff were clearly experienced and knew what they were doing, whilst others seemed in dire need of training in the most basic of tasks. There is also a very strange hierarchy to the waiting staff: ask one member of staff for something and depending where they were in the pecking order (or where you were seated), they would relay your request (now in Spanish) to another staff member. They in turn might relay it again, and so on. No surprise the requests were often misunderstood, and wrongly executed.

In the second week when the resort got busier, staff performance declined rapidly. Staff looked overworked and tired. We often had to wait 20 minutes to be served and even longer to get our food. Quite often, we would end up with food we did not order. Food is generally good but the quality declined somewhat and everything seemed chaotic and rushed. All of the restaurants appeared understaffed.

The drinks service by the pool or the beach was a hit and miss. In a few good days, we would be asked if we wanted any drinks. In most days, it was self service.

We can only assume that the sheer number of complaints meant that the Concierges seemed experienced and well trained in dealing with issues. This was reactive, dealing with symptoms not causes, rather than the proactive approach you would expect from a 5* hotel. Overall it felt that the hotel has expanded too fast and was not ready for their opening. The ground facilities could not accommodate the volume of guests they took in.

Pool
Pools are stone cold and not clean. There were constantly dead bugs, bees and mosquitoes in the pool. Also, there were always screaming children by the pool which resulted us to retreat to our private sun lounges or the spa. Unfortunately, as the resort got busier, our private sun lounges disappeared! How could a 5 star beach resort remove your private sun bed, which was one of the facilities of the room which you paid for?

Limited sun lounges in both pool areas and the beach front to accommodate 90+ rooms. Sun lounges would have all been booked before 8:30 am. They also always run out of beach towels.

Beach
Beach is a pretty standard brown sandy beach so don’t expect perfect white beaches. The beach area in the hotel is cleaned in the morning. Walk along the beach outside the resort area and you will see the washed up plastic bags and bottles, and other wastes.

As the place got busier, the beach area became filled with sun lounges everywhere. Even sun lounges that were not supposed to be there, i.e the stolen ones from private rooms! Looking back at the resort from the beach, it looked like some cheap cramped resort you find almost anywhere these days. It was NOT exclusive.

Water Sports
Hotel has two basic kayaks and one small catamaran which broke whilst we were there. The water is clean enough though sandy. The beach gradient is slight with a number of rocks close to the shore. Unfortunately although advertised as a snorkelling site, it wasn’t really. The sand bed extended quite far towards the sea and anything beyond that appeared to have high currents. The beach was pleasant to swim in nonetheless, just not meant for snorkelling.

Spa
The only place that kept us sane during our trip. They have a wonderful huge heated Jacuzzi pool. Excellent massage facilities with good on site masseurs. Be aware that you will need to book in advance as it can get busy, partly due to the fact that each guest gets a free 20 minute massage.

Another highlight was morning yoga with Antonia, which was very enjoyable. If you want to experience wellness as promoted by the resort, then go her yoga class. She is remarkable in giving advice to perfect your yoga posts. Even my husband, a die hard non yoga practitioner, was converted!

The staffs are excellent. However they are let down by the facilities. Whilst we were there, the steam room did not work the entire time and there were intermittent power failures, so occasionally other facilities were not available.

Summary
Overall our experience was very poor, and at times even stressful. This is ironic considering they brand Zoetry Agua as a wellness resort. It was an awful honeymoon that was hugely overpriced.

It’s a shame such potential has been wasted. I doubt we would consider any of the resorts owned by this Group now. Everyday there was always something not right, be it little thing or fundamental flaw. It’s been a long time since we have been halfway through a holiday and wanted to leave. We would not recommend this place to anyone, and we would not go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Grace L

Taiguey: Good Day - Good Sun

Dear Guest,

In the name of the Zoëtry Family I want to thank you for choosing our hotel in this trip to Dominican Republic. It is an honor for us to receive your reviews, because this encourages us to continue improving our service and also increases our commitment to your satisfaction.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced in respect to the points you marked in the survey. At Zoetry we take pride in ensuring our customers satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations since the beginning, but I hope that everything ended up well. Upon thorough review of the situation, we narrowed the causes to the problems you mentioned and we are already working on those points so we can solve it as quick as we can and try to avoid this things to happen again.

We deeply value you for choosing Zoetry Agua Punta Cana and we are committed to providing you the highest level of service.

Namasté