“Quiet, Beautiful but not quite a 5”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #2 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed at Zoetry in early April. The resort only has about 90 rooms so it is a restful beautiful boutique retreat. it was only about 50-60% full when we were there so it was even more intimate. It is about 40 min. from the airport which makes it rather remote which can be a plus or minus depending on your liking. The food was delicious and we cannot say enough about the staff and their willingness to make our stay a delight. It's hard to single out any one person but Pedro, Miguel, Omar and Frank were among those who were outstanding. Also, Felipe, our Apple rep, is exceptional at his job. I took advantage of the free 20 min. massage and it was wonderful. However, be aware that this resort is on the Atlantic side of the island not the Caribbean. That makes a difference in the beach experience. The water is not as clear and tends to have more surf. There are volcanic rock formations off the beach which are very sharp. We had red and yellow flags on each day of our stay. Also,if you are looking for more of a party atmosphere with lots of activity, entertainment and music, this is not the place for you. Evening entertainment consisted most evenings of a very talented duo with Fred Rubin on guitar and vocals and Jose(?) on rhythm. They end up about 10:30. This resort just misses getting top ratings. There is a lack of consistency that plagues it and would not be acceptable at a top resort. One lapse wouldn't mean that much but they kept adding up. You never received the same amount of towels each day. One day you would have a bath mat and not the next. We received a very attractive and tasty plate of chocolate covered fruit with a chocolate sculpture the 1st 3 nights and then never saw it again. We had granola available for breakfast the 1st 3 mornings and then no more. And this is billed as a 'wellness resort". Someone came along the beach and asked about our rooms We told him we did not have a room service/ info book in our room. He said he would take care of that. We never received one which means we were unaware of some services that we would have liked to take advantage of until we read the book in our friends' room near the end of our stay. There were issues with hot water on some days. All of this could be corrected with some kind of check list and training from management. The staff is more than willing to make each guests stay enjoyable. But they can't do what they don't know. So, again, management could do a lot to make this a true 5. Also, communication can be a problem if you don't speak English. We were told that this could be a result of the remoteness of the resort. Staff with more fluency moved on to the larger resorts. We learned that a number of people had been moved over from Dreams which was overbooked but cost quite a bit less It would have been nice if they upgraded full paying customers before accommodating their sister resort's overflow. All in all, we enjoyed our stay at Zoetry. It was warm (after a historic Midwest USA winter), restful and pampering in a lovely setting. And again, the staff cannot be praised enough for making it a very personal experience.

Room Tip: Swim out rooms have more comfortable chairs for relaxing including a love seat and 2 chaise lounges...
1  Thank marf45
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your feedback in regards to your awesome experience at our Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana. I will personally extend your comments to our entire staff, as your remarks always help us in enhancing our standards and the impeccable service to our guests.

We regret to read of the difficulties you experienced with the speed of food. Kindly be informed that I have shared to the departments concerned and the management team in order to avoid such situation in the future.

We hope that if you find yourself in Punta Cana again you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence by delivering the style of service we are accustomed to.

Zoëtry Agua is your Home away from Home!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I expected so much more from Zoetry. This was our first trip to Zoetry which is suppose to be the top of the line.
Let's begin with the pros: The beach is the best I've ever been on. We saw wild horses running. Water is gorgeous. The pools are amazing, although the main pool gets very dirty b/c there is a lot of flora around, but they do clean it. The resort is beautiful! The tree house looking rooms and all the greenery is gorgeous. This resort is very quiet. No activities to do day or night. It's really for relaxing and sunbathing. The WiFi worked very well. (Side note. Not a pro, but not a con since this isn't the resorts' fault... They have a bad mosquito problem even thought I think they do try and fumigate. Maybe it's just the time of year, I don't know. Ladies forget your perfume and buy the best bug spray you can find. They offer 'Off' at all the restaurants but you still get ate up. One lady we made friends with had 40 bites and counting. They bite during the day too)

Now for the cons and why this place only received 3 stars. If this wasn't suppose to be a 5 star resort and wasn't so expensive some of these things I could've overlooked, but when you pay so much money to come here there really is no excuse...

First, the no check-in and out time is misleading. You can check in any time you want but they likely do not have a room ready for you (they didn't for us and 3 other couples we talked to). So, you can drop your bags off and change in the bathroom any time you'd like.
The website says 'Limitless international and domestic top-shelf spirits'. The only beer they seemed to have was the local beer which literally made my husband sick (and trust me, he can drink beer). One or two Heineken or Corona and then "sorry we are out". They ran out of Absolute Vodka at both pool bars so I had to walk all the way to the lobby to get my drink. Oh yes, I had to serve myself at this 5 star resort. Always. The wait service was terrible! In fact, the lady at the pool took drink orders from 2 couples and then looked at me and walked away!! I ran after her and said "excuse me are you taking drink orders"? She said "Oh, yes". Then when she brought it to me I tipped her money to show I was interested in her coming back and receiving service. I never saw her again. Unbelievable. I finally complained to the management our last day there about the drink situation and amazingly enough they had Corona in our room within the hour (which by then our fridge had broke so that didn't do us any good) and at the pool bars. Still no Absolute and I still had to go serve myself. Management's efforts our last day was appreciated but just too little too late. The bottom line is that I shouldn't have to complain about not having beer or vodka. For crying out loud this is an all-inclusive 5 star and I certainly should not have to wait on myself 24/7.
A comment on here from a Zoetry manager in regards to another review says "we are offering 7 options of imported wines (from Spain to Chile, through California) and we also carry a 100 imported wine bottles list on our menu in order to provide the most variety possible to please any preference." When we were at dinner and I'd ask what whites do you have they'd bring the same bottle of Chardonnay each time. My husband got the same red. Now, they do have a large list for purchase, but if the 7 wines above are available in our included price it is never made aware to the guests. They are not very fluent in their English here and I think this could contribute to the problems. We are in their country so I don't expect them to be fluent but for example, and you'll see the pictures I included, I asked for no tomato on my chicken sandwich and pointed to the word tomato. I only received chicken and cheese. There were suppose to be 8 items on this sandwich. They did a tapas night. Fun right? Some of the items were very good, like the boneless short rib, so we ordered it again. The second time around they changed it to ribs.. on the bone. We said, 'this isn't what we ordered'. "Oh, yes, we change it on the second round so you don't get the same". Lot of good that does us. The ribs weren't very good. We were not wowed by the food. They do serve ice cream at the swim up pool bar. That's a plus.
I had to ask 3 times for shampoo and conditioner and didn't receive it in the room until the 3rd day. 3 days I was not able to wash my hair b/c there was no shampoo. Every time I called for it they said "I'm sending it now" but it never came. Conditioner finally came the 2nd day but not the shampoo. Now I will say that when we got there the room we received was very loud as it was right by the elevator and an employee kept knocking the 'quiet sign' against the door (after it happened twice I watched through the peep hole and caught him). I called and asked to be moved. Eddy moved us to an ocean front room which was marvelous. He really went above and beyond which was the only time we felt appreciated and valued. I highly recommend this room category if you end up going here. Best room/view I've ever stayed. We still could not get drink service laying out on our chairs out by our upgraded room. We were never told that we had to call and order the 'included daily' wine and fruit every day so we didn't get that privilege. No one ever said 'if you need anything I am your personal server'. I can't believe they don't offer this service especially in an oceanfront room. Even Secrets and Breathless offer this in not so nice rooms.
They allow children at this "5 star" resort which is absurd. However, the website says that children are not allowed to 'play loudly' as to disrupt others and there are no activities for children here. Here again my visit was ruined. 2 kids running around the pool throwing a ball in and out screaming. One kid doing cannonballs over and over into the pool. This makes me VERY angry (at the resort and parents not the kids). This expensive of a resort that focuses on relaxation and wellness should not allow children. Kids can not be made to just sit quietly like an adult and as a result others' time is negatively impacted. And yes, we did go at the very end of April when we thought all children would be back in school.
I can not in good conscience recommend this resort or brand if this is what you can expect. It's a shame because it's such a nice resort and has the potential to be 5 star but for the price and service it's sorely falling short at a 2.5 - 3 star resort. One couple paid over $10,000 to be there for the week! Would you want to pay that much money and have to wait on yourself, not have the drinks that they promise, and listen to kids screaming?

Room Tip: I'd get the oceanfront if you can afford it - not view (not worth the money)
4  Thank RomaTraveled

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to point out how you spent your stay among us. On behalf of the Zoëtry Family, we would like to share our sincere apologies on your recent experience. Our entire staff will read your comment, it will help us in offering better service, getting the highest satisfaction to reach all our future guest expectation. A stay with us, should be an amazing experience, something in a life time….we feel sorry that you did not feel impressed by our staff and our property.

We regret to hear from your review that your expectations were not match on this occasion and wish we could have done more to make your vacation more comfortable. You shared the inconveniences you have encountered with our food and beverage service and we absolutely understand your disappointment. The facts you describe are, of course, not acceptable and in total contradiction with the concept of our Zoëtry Agua. We will do everything in our power to keep high the quality of our services, being constant is the key in this industry and we usually are…your comment will motivate us to look more into details to perceive any kind of flaw in our service. Excellence is our goal and that is our every day job.

At our Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana we have every desire to address your needs, our main goal is to take you through a paradise where you will cruise between the friendliness of our staff and the hospitality of our land. Our Resort invites you to discover the tropical rainbow colors of the Caribbean way of live in an exceptional luxurious setting, relax on the beach and let yourself be pampered by our specialists of wellness.

Your thoughtfulness means so much to us, that is why we strive to offer an experience full of peace, in perfect harmony with the surrounding nature... far away from mass tourism. It is the perfect place for lovers of authenticity, our luxurious suites nestled in a little corner of paradise should guarantee you unforgettable moments. In fact, the greatest satisfaction we can have is a word of mouth from a happy guest...

Please accept our most sincere apologies for any trouble we may have caused during your vacation. We still hope that your experience was positive overall.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Zoetry Aqua Punta Cana for a 4-day weekend, and it was amazing. Beautiful beaches, perfect weather, and delicious food. The menus had healthy options, which tasted fabulous. They are also willing to accommodate for allergies/picky eaters. The fitness center is open 24 hours. The stay included horse back riding on the beach (fun, but if you've never ridden before they don't give you any direction), and a 20 minute spa treatment (which I didn't get a chance to try out!)

The rooms are amazing, beautiful and comfortable. There is a daily schedule of events provided each day, with great quotes, and information. Room service is available 24/7, wireless network is very effective and included in your stay, along with international calling from the rooms at no additional charge. The staff was exceptionally friendly and accommodating.

The beach was gorgeous, and never to crowded due to the small size of the resort. Bring and wear bug repellant. Each room comes equipped with Off Bug Spray, but I should have applied it to my feet as they are covered in bug bites. The hotel does spray daily for mosquitoes and offers bug spray in the restaurants if you decide to partake in the outdoor seating.

Snorkling on the beach is great, but be alert for reefs so you don't get cuts or scrapes. Overall, a phenomenal, low key and relaxing vacation.

There was a great fire show offered, following a romantic dinner on the beach, and a musician in the bar during the evening. The coffee shop is wonderful (try the chocolate croissants!)

The only thing that disappointed me was that they literature said we would receive a complimentary hand made beach bag, which we did not receive, but as a whole the resort was remarkable and relaxing. I would be interested in trying out some of the other Zoetry properties, as well as returning to this one.

Room Tip: The rooms are amazing! I loved having a room on the second floor due to the high ceilings and thatch...
3  Thank BenderFitness

Taigüey / Good Day-Good Sun!

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with other travelers around the world, regarding to your recent visit to our Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana.

Great to hear that you and your husband thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that my team accommodated your personal needs. It is gratifying to hear that you enjoyed a fabulous vacation amon. We highly appreciate you experienced how we pamper our guests and how we take care of them. In fact, exceeding the expectations of our visitors is our motivation keyword.

On the behalf of the Zoëtry Family, I would like to reiterate our thanks for the kind words you have expressed. We remain at your disposal for any request to come and we look forward to welcoming you very soon for a new Zoëtry experience

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Our stay at the beautiful Zoetry Agua was wonderful! From check in to check out everything was perfect! We had an amazing ocean front room next to the Indigo Grill. I was a little concerned that at this location the noise level might be high but that was not the case. We enjoyed being so near this restaurant/bar that was right on the beach. They referred to us as their neighbors and took excellent care of us. Janna welcomed us with a warm greeting, Claudio and Amar went above and beyond the standard good quality of service that would have been expected.

Felix and Jorge made sure that we were comfortable during our stay and that all was going well. Olga gave a fabulous 20 minute massage. We regret that there was no time available to book a longer massage before our departure. This will be a priority for our next visit. I wish I could list each person's name who made our stay so special as there were many.

I was pleased with the many healthy choices of food options at the restaurants. If you are vegetarian or just want to eat healthy you will not have a problem here. As with all big resorts we find that some menu items are better than others so we had no complaints with the food. The sparkling wine and alcohol selections were better than some other all inclusive resorts we have been to.

Arrangements were made for us to visit either the Dreams Spa and Resort or Breathless Resort that were close by. We selected Breathless and enjoyed a wonderful magic show. I would love to try this sister resort at some time as it was very impressive (the name fits). Zoetry was laid back and relaxing while Breathless was very large scale with more of a party atmosphere if that is your thing.

Thank you to all personnel at Zoetry!

Room Tip: Those who book ocean front rooms have a better chance of getting the nice beach lounge chairs. Our r...
1  Thank Sf W

Taigüey-Good Day/Good Sun,

Dear Guests,

Regarding your cherished vacation at our Zoëtry Agua wondrous paradise, I would like to extend our gratitude for supporting us with such a valuable advice. The whole Zoëtry Family appreciates your positive encouragements.

Guests like you who are looking for relaxing on their mind from daily thoughts could immerse themselves in an atmosphere of pure well-being by loving a journey of a thousand sensations, which will help them regain and maintain mental and physical balance.

We will highly appreciate to welcome you very soon, you will be surprised and pleased to rediscover our Zoetry Agua, where the sea and the sky meet in perfect harmony to make your dreams of relaxation come true…

Reviewed 9 May 2014

My wife and I just returned from a laid back and relaxing week at Zoetry Agua. This is the third Zoetry property we have visited and we were not disappointed. The resort is small and intimate and staffed with a hardworking group of people.
Check-in came with a very nice surprise, we were upgraded to an ocean view king room in the new section. This was handled by Anny Kerry and Eddy. Thanks to both of them for a very efficiently run reception and for taking good care of us.The room was spacious, well furnished and well serviced by housekeeping.
The beach was beautiful and felt like our own private retreat. Bar service on the beach was frequent and prompt.
There seems to have been a recent turnover in quite a few people in the Food and Beverage Department and I feel like the changes are positive. There are some outstanding personnel working in the restaurants and the following staff helped to make breakfast, lunch and dinner a real pleasure. Wanda, Merina and Giordany are great at their jobs and seem truly devoted to insuring you have a pleasant time. The new manager at Amaya, Francisco Hodge, is a real asset to the resort. We could see improvements daily in the service, attitude and the whole atmosphere in "his" restaurant. At Indigo we were made to feel special each time we dined there and this was primarily due to the efforts of Pedro Paredes and Omar. Both are outstanding and worthy of special recognition. We have traveled extensively and my wife and I agree that among a group of excellent waiters and staff, Omar is the best waiter we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We shared this feeling with his supervisors and recommended that they try to get an Omar to act as a trainer and example in each of the other restaurants. We were also impressed with the constant rounds and many miles walked by Felix Florintino as he made his regular inspections. He was everywhere. All of the people we have recognized are under the care of the new Food and Beverage manager, Felix Pelitier. He also is out and about and takes a personal interest in the guests' dining experience. I know that on our next visit, the excellent dining experiences will be even better.
Overall, we loved the resort, the facilities, the dining and the personnel. We look forward to returning.

2  Thank RHETTCOZ
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Zoetry family I want to greet you and take the opportunity to thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacation in Dominican Republic. Your comments makes us continue working hard and increase our commitment to your satisfaction through the service we offer.

We appreciate to hear that you were satisfied with our gourmet food and especially your experience with our staff. They truly love to craft memorable experiences for our guests. I am sure they will be happy when I share your feedback with them.

We hope that your trust in us is increased with further visits to our facilities. We said goodbye to you, but not before we reiterate our thanks and deep commitment to your stay at our hotel. We are available whenever you we require.

Namaste,

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We have just returned from our 7 night stay at Zoetry in Punta Cana. We felt welcomed upon our arrival right until our departure! The staff are fantastic, and the management of the resort should feel very lucky to have such a great group of employees! I wish I could name them all as we did not have a bad experience, they were all great. There were some that we had more interactions with, and got to know them during our week, for example, Juaquin, the bartender in the lobby bar was genuinely happy to see us when we stopped by and could not do enough for us to ensure that we were having a good time, always ready to have a laugh with us. Giordany, the supervisor at Piraqua was fantastic and always checked in with us when we went their for our meals, Jose Reyes was interested in where we were from and went home and researched our area and came back with some excellent questions and conversation the next day when we saw him, Merina and Wanda have smiles that would light up a room and we looked forward to chatting with them everyday, they made sure we wanted to comeback to their restaurant day after day, we could not have asked for better! Yanna, one of the other greeters at another restaurant was fabulous as well, and we felt like she could not do enough to ensure we had anything we wanted, without ever being asked. Emily at the spa went out of her way to ensure that we fit in our 20 minute messages even though they were booked up and we were slow to make the request. The maid service was fantastic, the food was fabulous, best we have ever had at any resort we have stayed (and there have been many), we loved the room service, there was nothing that we asked for that they did not make every effort to provide. There were evenings we had a short wait to get a table at one of the restaurants but we just went to the bar for a drink while we were waiting, no problem at all!!

The resort grounds were gorgeous, very well maintained. We loved our room, very very nice and very comfortable. We enjoyed our late afternoons on our balcony with a chilled bottle of champagne delivered, at our request, to our room. It is a very quiet resort so if you are looking for lots of action, and entertainment this is not the place for you. We enjoyed the quiet laid back atmosphere. It was very easy to meet people and hang out with others if you want to, so you can hang out at the bar during the evenings and enjoy some of the relaxed entertainment and make new friends. Overall, we had a great week!

Room Tip: Our room over looked to pool area, it was very nice. We could not see the ocean from our room but th...
3  Thank Sandra F
Lionel G, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Taigüey-Good Day/Good Sun,

Dear Guests,

Regarding your cherished vacation at our Zoëtry Agua wondrous paradise, I would like to extend our gratitude for supporting us with such a valuable advice. The whole Zoëtry Family appreciates your positive encouragements and improvement ideas that allow us to keep our property evolving.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We have travelled extensively and have stayed at a wide variety of facilities over the years from tents to 5star plus.. Zoetry isn't a 5 star resort. It is a good 4 star resort and does have potential but it is currently over priced and not on the same standard as most five star all inclusive.
The good:
1. Frequent maid service throughout the day with lots of fresh, good quality towels. No complaints here.
2. It's a small resort and quite peaceful. They have done a good job of blending in the new addition with the rest of the grounds. Beach is nice and very private. Horseback riding down the beach is common but really not an issue.

Not so good.
1. Mosquitos in the evening are a problem. We started taking malaria medication before we left. There have been some reported cases in the area although it is not common. We tried to sit outside for dinner one night but left early because of the bites. One evening we watched the staff move 7 or 8 tables full of guests from the outdoor patio to the inside section in the middle of their meals due to the mosquitos. The staff were very helpful in providing and spraying insect repellant and there is a can in every room. They also go around with a commercial fogger at dusk. You hear it first and then see a fog come drifting across the grounds towards your room. At the same time you notice the chemical smell in the air. The resort is located on a section of the island that is surrounded by marshy lowlands.
2. We arrived at 4:30pm and were greeted in the lobby, escorted to a couple of comfortable chairs and offered a drink. The concierge ran back and forth to the main desk and after about 45 minutes he informed us that our room wasn't ready. We finally got into our room at 6:30 that evening.
3. Wrong room. Blinds in shower area wouldn't close. Wrong beds. Fridge minibar empty. Back down to the front desk and finally moved to correct room at 7:30.
4. Food quality was average and inconsistent and the biggest disappointment. We ordered hard boiled eggs and you could actually specify 3,5 or 7 minutes cooked. When we cracked them open, raw egg ran all over the plate although we had specified 5 minutes. I ordered a turkey burger and received the hamburger.Ordered Chicken soup and received potato leek. They ran out of many items on different days. Orange juice one morning!. Granola and yogurt was available for a couple of mornings and then only boxed sugar coated varieties like Coco Puffs. One evening we had an excellent meal in the Italian restaurant and in fact returned the next night as it had been so good. The first night the pan seared scallops were perfectly cooked, the second night they were cold inside.
There is a nice little coffee shop near the front lobby, Unfortunately it isn't opened until mid morning.
There is a nice restaurant on the beach that we frequented for lunch, because of the location. The menu did not change for the week that we were there.
If you ordered a beer at a 5 star facility you are often served in a frosted mug. One waiter in one of the restaurants brought a glass but most of the time, the bottle was just opened and set on the bar in front of you. Not a big deal but that is the sort of detail that separates the good from the best.
5. On day 4, we had no hot water in our room. We spoke to the front desk, a maintenance man, and the concierge over a number of days. At one point we were told that they "don't turn on the machine until 7 am" Finally on day 6 we had warm water. We did get a call from the front desk to confirm the water was finally warmer. A 5 star manager would have sent a basket of fruit, a bottle of wine or a flower arrangement or considering this is a small resort, the manager could have called to apologize.
6. There is a lot of promotion of the availability of premium brands of liquor. Indeed there are 4 or 5 choices of good gin. However they ran out of Tonic mix for three days. The house wines are a red or white inexpensive Spanish wine. You could purchase recognized brands at a restaurant price. Beer was Presidente.

So, a four star resort charging a five star price. For the same money, there are much better options in the Carribean.

7  Thank Binderetoo

Taigüey: Good Day - Good Sun!

Dear Mr. Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us in regards to your stay among us.

Your feedback concerning the service you received at our premises are very important to us. We want guests to enjoy their stay at our Zoetry Agua, so your report of an unpleasant experience with some department is a serious concern for us.

Let us express our deepest apologies. We regret to hear from your review that your expectations were not met on this occasion and wish we could have done more to make your vacation more comfortable. I have taken the liberty of sharing all your feedback with the relevant Heads of Department to ensure that your points are addressed, corrective action have been taken especially regarding the food.

Our main aim is to offer a special treat to our visitors by providing them more focused services and playing our part to ensure that we will go beyond your expectations!

We look forward to serving you more efficiently in the future. Again, and on the behalf of the entire Staff, I would like to express our sincere apologies.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado

Been to Zoetry Agua Punta Cana? Share your experiences!