“Heaven on earth!”

Ranked #3 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Boston
“Heaven on earth!”
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Before my husband and I booked our honeymoon, we did lots of research and finally chose Zoetry Agua. We were excited just looking at the photos on the website and reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. But none of what we read could have prepared us for the fabulous experience we would have from the moment we arrived!

Much has already been said about the beautiful rooms, delicious food, excellent service and gorgeous beach. What I would like to highlight is the vibe of total relaxation and warm hospitality that we felt at this resort. Because it is small, the service is extremely personal. We got to know the front desk staff and many of our servers, including David, Jeremy, Manuel, and Pedro- who made a point of remembering and preparing our favorite foods and drinks, and always made us feel like we were family. There were ample palapas on the beach, always an abundance of fresh towels, and someone available to help us at every turn...from Victor, Willy, Jordana, Rosaura, Adelaida, and Kelvis to the rest whose names I can't remember- all the staff were really nice. We also loved the strolling musicians and the couples massage on the beach (by Rafaella and Yuri), which was excellent.

This is the place to go if you are looking for peace and quiet, not lots of excitement and activity. If your idea of a good time is lying in a hammock, walking on the beach, getting a massage or napping under a palapa, you will love it. If you're looking for wild nightlife and lots of water sports, you might be bored.

If you do decide to go, splurge on the oceanfront room. We stayed in room #50 on the top floor. It was incredibly relaxing to lounge on the porch with the endless view of the ocean and hear the sound of the waves crashing at night while we slept!

The beach at Zoetry blows other resorts in Punta Cana out of the water. It's clean and the water is calm and swimmable all day long. Because the nearest resorts are a hike down the beach in either direction, there is a feeling of total seclusion.

Only two small complaints, neither of which would keep me from going back in a heartbeat. 1. The resort sprays for mosquitoes every night at sunset and it would be nice if there was a bell or an announcement that went off on the property to give you time to get back to your room so you don't get stuck running through the insecticide fogger. Even though they say it's safe to breathe it, I don't want to be fumigated. 2. The beach on either side of the property is littered with plastic bottles and other junk that has either washed up from the sea or been dumped there. It would be nice to see Zoetry, along with the adjoining resorts (Sivory and Excellence) get together and share the commitment and responsibility for maintaining those beaches, to protect the valuable and fragile nature of this beautiful slice of the world.

Two travel tips: It can be helpful to learn a little bit of Spanish before you go to the Dominican Republic. It goes a long way towards helping you connect with the people and understanding the culture. I think this is true wherever you travel. Also, be flexible and don't let little things upset you. Slow down and enjoy the pampering, because before you know it you'll be at home, working and cooking and cleaning and you'll wish you were back at Zoetry...

All in all, an outstanding vacation! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank puntacanaprincesita
ZoetryAguaGM, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 1 April 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for you lovely review, all the staff have recieved your kind comments. We are very happy to know that you had such a wonderful time with us!

As for your suggestions, as of tomorrow our Fumigation team will work out a fix schedule and it will get published in our daily Sundial Newsletter and it will also be mentioned upon check in, thank you for the suggestion!
And about the litter on the beach, every two weeks the staff of Zoetry Agua goes out at 7am with plenty big trash bags to pick up all the plastic that gets washed on the sides of our beach. We will make a point of keeping track of the state of our neighbor's beaches in between our "cleaning days", specially after a rainy day when the ocean throws out all of the trash it receives daily from the boats accross the Caribbean (is amazing that still nowadays people are so unaware of the damage they create when throwing out somehting off the rail of their boat-yacht!). Thanks for pointing this out!
We hope to be able to welcome you back any time soon,

best regards,

Natalia Redondo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2010

I stayed at Zoetry Agua last Valentine's Day, as a surprise gift to my partner...and we were absolutely amazed by the impeccable service we got from everyone from the front desk boys 'til the barman or the waiters at the beach restaurant.

The rooms are flawlessly arranged, with a great view!!....Staying at this hotel went beyond our expectations. They always found a way to surprise us, with details, some many little details, which made a huge difference between just a regular hotel, and a luxury peaceful one, as it is the Agua.

The food is really good, and very well presented, and the restaurants' set up was very cozy and comfy.

The staff had clearly made a great effort to keep us all happy and relaxed to the max, Plus they all did it and meant the service from their hearts, and that was very appreciated by us. They do not put a $ on your forehead waiting only for tips. They earn them by their sincere service!

It was sad to have to leave on the last day...we wish we could have stayed much more days. it was a perfect holiday!!!!! The perfect gift for my partner and I for the best romantic getaway!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 23 March 2010

I spent a week at Zoetry Agua with my family and had a most amazing time. I am actually quite surprised with the somehow negative reviews posted lately, since I found the service to be flawless and warm and friendly, food was outstanding, the hotel is beautiful
(the rooms are so spacious and serene!). I would go back in a heartbeat and would HIGHLY and DEFINATELY recommend anyone looking for a great hideawasy to spend their money and time in wonderful Zoetry Agua.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 22 March 2010

The resort was absolutely amazing! From the moment we were whisked away in a Limo equip with a bottle of Champaign, to the moment we were dropped off at an unbelievable paradise. The grounds, staff, restaurants, drinks, pools, and beach were inviting with a mindless appeal. Staff member’s names have been brought up in previous reviews, which my wife and I are going to leave out. There is not one person that does not invite you into their life and treat you as if you are a part of their family. Hand and foot, night and day, the staff is there to make your experience a dream come true. If you are looking for a mind, body, and soul release this is the place for you. When you enter the resort you are made comfortable, leaving you with only positive thoughts and energy.
Before going on this trip my wife and I were unaware of some of the programs this resort/retreat offers. The reason I say retreat is for the fact you can actually release all of you problems, worries, and negativity and truly relax. During an afternoon lunch we met a gentleman named Charles Wills founder of the Wills system. Not knowing who this person was we got talking to him. After speaking with him and discovering the program he provides, we set up a meeting with him. My wife has a mild case of Anxiety which is one area Charles specializes in. After the one hour session my wife felt relieved and stress free. This is the retreat part of the resort I am speaking about. Combining his system and the wonderful spa services this vacation was truly a mind, body, and soul release. My wife and I are not trying to sell the resort we are explaining our wonderful eight days at this paradise with a wonderful staff and an eye opening experience with Charles. We hope to return very soon, it feels as if we have left a part of us at Zoetry Agua Resort and Spa.
One other thing we wanted to mention is great leadership shown throughout the management staff. Natalia is the resort Manager and an inspiring person to talk with. She runs a tight ship that shows through each and every one of the 132 members of her staff. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to email me at aaronujcic@gmail.com.

1 Thank AaronUjcic
Mount Carmel IL
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Just a little background-I have been travelling to the Caribbean for almost 10 years. I have stayed in moderate resorts (Riu Bambu, Riu Tequila, Royal Decameron Club Caribbean) up to very nice (Excellence and Sandals). I will give an overall summary, but the reason I was highly disappointed was the service!

The Good-Arrival at the airport and being quickly taken to the plush transfer vehicle was very nice.
The bellboy was very friendly.
The grounds were very rustic and beautiful-very serene.
The rooms were nice-large and clean-loved the open shower area and big tub.
The patio area was wonderful to soak up the scenery or enjoy room service.
Nice touch to have free internet and calling.
The food we had was very good.

Not so good-I had been researching their website and reviews, so I had certain things I was expecting, and did not get.
No champagne (or any drinks) in the transfer.
No check-in time is a great concept, but at 2 in the afternoon there was not a room available for us.
When we did get to our room, there was no welcome bottle of champagne or rum. There was a note that you could order your chilled champagne, which we did and it took 1.5 hrs to get it.
"Fully-Stocked" mini bar consisted of 2 bottles of water, 2 bottles of soda, and 2 beers. Not sure that I would consider that fully stocked.
Complimentary 20 minute massage-reception was not sure about this, so to find out we had to go to the Spa.
Several reviews had stated that you could essentially order anything to eat, anytime. Lobster all day if you wanted it. Well, I asked at dinnertime, and was told they did not have lobster. I was not too happy, but thought I would just ask the next day. Before we left, a couple sat behind us and the lady also asked for lobster and was told no. She told the waitress that at lunch she was told it would be available in the evening. The waitress went back to the kitchen and then said she can just try again tomorrow. Not sure if she ever had luck getting lobster or not.

The bad-service. I had been reading several reviews about all the great service and I was wondering if I was at the same place? We were really disappointed. Everywhere we have been in the past, you cannot pass 1 person without "ola" or some kind of greeting-we did not have that experience here. We enjoy talking to workers, but noone seemed to have time for us. Other than 1 time at lunch, it seemed like there just was not enough staff. We noticed 1 bellboy, 2 maids, 1 room server, 1 lady working in the spa, etc.

When we arrived, we went for lunch, it was a rainy day so the place was full. No problem, we will just sit on the couch and have chips and a drink. Well, soon there were 4 tables cleaned, and about 5 workers standing and talking. I think it took about 10 more minutes at that point to be seated. My husband ordered a beer and waited awhile before asking someone else for one. We were about to be finished with our meal so I told him I would just walk up to the bar to get one. As soon as I ordered one, a very nice dressed gentleman (the food and beverage asst mgr) approached me and asked if there was a problem. I went back to my table and had a drink in 2 seconds. Since the server was now being watched, he was told to come back and clean the dishes off of our table, since he forgot when he came over the first time.

At supper that evening the scenerio was similar. When we first sat down we each ordered a drink from the bar. We thought we had been forgotten, we were already into our main course when they were delivered. I joked with the server and he said that he had to run to the lobby bar to get it and it takes awhile. Well, I knew that there were only 2 bars on property, but I guess I assumed that at dinner time they would have at least some cold beer stocked at the restaurant? We did not attempt to ask for anything else as it was such a long hike for the poor guy!

Ok, so I suggest that we just stop by the lobby bar on the way to the room and put an end to the lack of beer for my husband. I asked if I could please get 6 cans of beer to take with us. The bartender was very nice but said that we needed to order from room service. So, we went back to the room and ordered 6 beers and champagne. This is when it took 1.5 hours for them to come, and they delivered 2 beers!
Next, was the maid service. It is a lovely concept to have maid service 3 times per day. Well, this was our first day, and we had been travellng. At 10:30 pm, 2 maids knocked on our door. They had towels and mop and bucket wanting to clean for us. My husband had a hard time explaining that our room was fine. He finely took the towels, said thank you and shut the door. We did not see anything in the room to hang on the door so they knew not to come in.... This seemed like a pretty late time to be coming when there is not much happening around the resort to be out doing.

So, the next morning we decide that room service on that lovely patio would be nice. We placed a call to room service (which always goes to reception, we wondered if they got busy and forgot). He said that it would be about 30 mins. Well, an hour and 10 mins later I called again and he said, "oh you didn't get your food yet?" We then got it about 10 mins later. Our order was not correct, but there is no way we were going to ask for anything different. As we sat eating is when we observed that just 1 man was delivering for room service-he was practically running. I know this is a small property, but if they are responsible for getting food or even drinks to your room, I think they need more help!

We decided to go to Spanish lessons at 11 am. My husband was excited to learn "cold" in Spanish so when we were done with our lesson 1130-1140, he could order a cold beer. The bartender said he did not have any cold beer. So, we sat and chatted with the entertainment lady some more. She then asked if we could get a cold beer. The bartender lifted up a bottle and said he was just putting them in. I am pretty sure that bar opened at 10am-but no beer 2 hrs later. A worker then said that Americans want to drink 100 beers per day and they don't understand why they are fat. Well, we are on vacation, but I hate to tell you that in the last day we have not even had a 6 pack-just can't seem to get served!

This was not turning out to be a relaxing experience. When my husband complained and said he wishes we were somewhere else, I said lets go. I went to the internet, got a phone number of another resort, checked out and got a taxi. This is the first time EVER that we have even considered doing this. I can handle more moderate resorts as far as rooms, etc-but service is the most important to me. I was very disaapointed in Zoetry.

5 Thank Travelgal179
ZoetryAguaGM, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this review, 23 March 2010
Dear guest,

I wish I could show you the dissappointment and surprise I went through when reading your review, I felt like verifying the headline and double check if it was indeed a review about Zoetry Agua that I was reading...what you experienced with us is SO far away from everything we have been so heartedly working hard to build since our opening.

I present to you my sincere apologies, and I assure you that all my team and myself have taken your review point by point and are hands on to finding the origin of the stream of incidents you had throughout your stay. Your extensive report is extremely helpful as it is painful for us to read how we failed you at all these different points throughout your stay. Please rest assured that none of these will go unnoticed and it will be the starting point of areas of opportunities for all the team (the 144 of them).

I would really appreciate to be able to get in touch with you personally since I would certainly be grateful if you could give me even further details and find a suitable way to make it up to you.

Please send me the appropriate way to contact you, either by email or phone, at info.zoapc@zoetryresorts.com or at facebook as Natalia Zoetry Agua.

Again, please agree to our most sincere apologies, I however sincerely hope that you were able to enjoy your vacation in the other hotel you went to and made the trip to Punta Cana worth it.

Looking forward to be in touch with you very soon,

Best regards,

Natalia Redondo
New York, NY
Reviewed 17 March 2010

My partner and I stayed here over a 4 night short trip from NYC. Being a gay couple was not an issue and there were other gay couples there as well but mainly a couples only resort. Stayed in a garden suit with access to the pool out of our patio. Didn't particularly think the beachfront rooms were great because the plunge pool was maybe about 3 feet deep and there was no privacy to it. The shower and tub were great. lighting was a bit poor in the bathroom. We just wished that there were screens on windows and patio doors (similar to Hermitage Bay in Antigua). The staff was very friendly and helpful. food was outstanding for an all inclusive. disappointed with the "fancy" restaurant in that the premium wines were extra and the house wines only included one white and one red even though the menu listed 4 other options (this happened on two of the nights that we dined there).

4 Thank Scuder85
Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, thank you for your kind words and most of all we are very happy to know we succeeded in delivering you with a memorable experience. I want to apologize for the shortage of wine selection you experienced at Fork, we have found that some of the wines we had originaly chosen (those on the menu) have a hard time to consistently delivered to our property, therefore we are in the process to change the selection to a delivery-guranteed one, we should be able to terminate it by this week (we are in the process of tasting it and making sure is as good as our first choice was). Thank you for the observation.
On a happy note, your screen suggestion has added up to many others that have suggested it as well, so we are going to try to see how it would fit in design and installation and probably make it a proyect for all rooms in 2011. Care to come and check it out then? smile.
Thanks again for choosing us, and for now taking the time to review us, we would be delighted to see you again, please consider Zoetry Agua your home in Punta Cana. Best regards, Natalia Redondo
springfield, mo
Reviewed 5 March 2010

We've never been anyplace with better service. Great attitudes by all the staff. It was a great trip.

Also have had great results from CHarles WIlls System!

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple