This is one of the more difficult reviews I’ve written; I’m so torn about the experience I had at Zoetry. In some ways, it felt like a fabulous 5* getaway. However, at times I just wanted to go home early. I rely heavily on the reviews I read on TA, so I want to be thorough, detailed and honest about our stay with the hopes that it will educate future travelers.
My fiancé and I spent 5 nights at Zoetry Agua over the Easter holiday. We were looking for peace and quiet, relaxation, good food, good drinks, and some sun. The pictures and info on the website coupled with the reviews made me believe Zoetry was the place to find what we were searching for.
The transfer service went off without a hitch. When we exited the airport, our driver was already waiting with a smile. Many glasses of champagne and about an hour later, we arrived at the resort. The ride was much easier on the way to Zoetry since we couldn’t wait to experience the resort. Our luggage was whisked away and we were checked in within a moment and off on our tour.
The grounds are amazingly beautiful and peaceful. I can’t say for sure what the occupancy level was when we were there (we heard anywhere between 20-40%) but we never felt like there were many people besides us. This was one of my absolute favorite things about Agua. At times, you really do feel like you have the entire resort to yourself: the gardens, the restaurants, the beach or the pool. There’s no fighting for chairs here, no need to wake up at the crack of dawn to get a good spot. They really try to emphasize relaxation and tranquility here.
The room we booked was a Jr. Suite with a garden view - #9. The rooms, as everyone has already mentioned, are beautiful. I especially loved the mix of rustic and modern amenities/feel of the room. However, once we checked in and got settled, the issues began. I won’t drag on about the problems we experienced but if you are interested in asking questions, please don’t hesitate to send me a private message.
• The blinds in the bathroom were stuck partially open when we arrived, so I was unable to take a shower without displaying my “au natural” self to the other guests.
Although we called maintenance, it took nearly an hour for them to arrive. This normally wouldn’t be a huge concern, but given the emptiness of the resort, we would have hoped for slightly quicker service. We had just arrived and I really wanted to freshen up!
• There was no pillow menu as described online.
• Our international phone calls would not go through. We had to call the front desk multiple times to have them put the calls through, but this often didn’t work either.
• Food service was spotty- about 9/10 times the wrong food was brought to us. For example, one morning we ordered two orders of French toast and an omelet with ham and cheese. We got one order of pancakes and an omelet with onions. We ordered one pineapple and one grapefruit juice and got orange. This happened all the time!
• Housekeeping was not 3 times/day, as described. This wasn’t a particularly serious issue to us; however, the housekeepers would leave large piles of garbage (room service plates, empty bottles of champagne) in the corner of the room rather than disposing of it.
• Around 3am on our second night, we awoke to a large THUD sound. Our air conditioning had broken and it started making a horrible pounding noise which could not be stopped.
• Both my travel agent and I had communicated with the resort to ensure we would be able to horseback ride over the holiday. Both of us were promised this would not be an issue…until we got to the resort and we were told we could NOT horseback ride.
• Drink service on the beach was painfully slow – 45 minutes at times to wait for 2 bottles of water.
After a couple of underwhelming days, we decided we needed to have our room switched. We were told by reception that they would send Natalia to us immediately. 45 minutes later she hadn’t arrived and, when we called back, they said she was off the property. They said they would switch our room to the one next door but we would have to wait a few hours.
At this point, I just wanted to go home. However, this is when things began to turn around. We asked to speak with Natalia Redondo, the GM of Zoetry Agua as soon as she arrived back on the property. This woman is an absolute gem. She cares SO much about the resort, the guests and does her job incredibly well. She listened to our concerns, displayed genuine empathy, and resolved our issues immediately. The rest of the trip, we received 5* service. We were given a GORGEOUS Caribe Suite with a plunge pool and outdoor shower. Natalia also arranged for a private dinner in the resort “gazebo” that was delicious, memorable and very intimate. Lastly, Natalia was able to set up a private horseback riding session for my fiancé and I. It was plainly obvious that she wanted to ensure that we had the experience we had hoped for and intended to have.
Had we not asked to speak with Natalia, I would have been horribly disappointed with our experience. However, she made the rest of our stay as good as it could have been (within her own control.) Were there issues after the move? Yes – our shower was very hard to regulate in terms of water temp (scalding hot or freezing cold), one night there was no hot water at all! The plunge pool did not get cleaned and refilled daily and at times was too dirty to swim in. The food still ranged from excellent (steaks, risotto, crab lasagna, tres leches cake) to really unappetizing. Service still varied, but we absolutely loved Richard, Juan and Javier, who went above and beyond in SO many ways.
Some additional highlights: the Saturday night beach party, the mamajuana drinks, the super clean beach with its soft sand and the hammock in front of our suite which was perfect for reading in.
When all was said and done, we decided we most likely wouldn’t return. I feel we spent too much on the trip to warrant such a spotty experience. I can't justify spending that much again for such a gamble. We enjoyed portions of our stay and Zoetry Agua has definite potential, but it’s just not there yet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly located along a 200 yard stretch of pristine beach on the easternmost Coast of the Dominican Republic in Uvero Alto, Zoetry Agua Punta Cana is a sanctuary of supreme relaxation integrated with nature. With 96 ultra-luxurious suites nestled throughout the beautifully-manicured gardens of this oceanfront Caribbean resort created from natural stones, hardwoods, cathedral ceilings and cane-thatched roofs, guests can spend afternoons swimming in the calm, tranquil ocean waters, under a palm tree in one of the inviting lounge terraces, or staring out at the beautiful garden or ocean views from their own private terrace or balcony. Zoetry Agua Punta Cana provides guests Endless Privileges® offering them limitless access to lavish amenities and services that include four gourmet a la carte restaurants, three bars and lounges, while the Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience provides 41 additional dining and entertainment venue options at nearby sister properties. 24-hour dining options allow guests to enjoy late night bites at Amaya. Or stay in and order room service. It’s all available at any hour day or night. The resort also features a luxurious spa filled with Natura Bisse products and an extensive menu of unique and indigenous body treatments. A full-service fitness center, salon and meeting facilities are also available to guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Zoetry Agua Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Zoetry Agua Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Agua Hotel Punta Cana
- Agua Punta Cana