“Fabulous Vacation”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #2 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 4 August 2010

My husband and I spent 6 days at Zoetry at the beginning of July. It was an absolutely fabulous experience and we cannot wait to go back. One of the key elements we were looking for in our vacation was total relaxation and that is exactly what we got. From the moment we arrived at Zoetry, the staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly and we immediately noticed how quiet the resort was. Our room was very spacious and the bathroom was quite nice. We especially loved the candles that were lit by room service while we were out for dinner. We had heard that the food was fantastic and it did not disappoint. We've been to other all inclusive resorts and the food does not even begin to compare. You can absolutely tell how fresh everything is. We indulged in several spa treatments while we were there and we found them to be wonderful. I cannot say enough good things about Zoetry. We have already recommended it to several of our friends and I have no doubt that we will try to get back as soon as possible. I believe that the staff totally makes or breaks a resort like Zoetry and the entire staff was unbelievably accomodating and friendly. I cannot think of a single complaint! We were very sad when it was time to leave and return to the reality!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank kvestal
Write a ReviewReviews (4,484)

Reviewed 1 August 2010

My husband and I just returned from a great and relaxing 6 day vacation from Zoetry Agua in Punta Cana. This is actually the first time I take the time to write a review but I felt compelled to do it, not only because my decision to visit the place was based on all the great reviews I read in Trip Advisor, but also because I believe the wonderful staff in this place truly deserves the recognition for such great work.

I have to start by saying that the despite the fact that the hotel has beautiful grounds and scenery, which many great hotels in the caribbean do, what really distinguishes this hotel out of the rest, is the fact that the staff really strives hard to please you and make you feel at home. Being such a small hotel compared to other big chains, service is very personalized and they address themselves by your names, which is something I truly value. I've traveled extensively during the past year to different hotel chains and locations, many of them luxury properties, but none can compare to the service I received here.

The ride from the airport was about 50 minutes long, which is farther than most hotels in Punta Cana, but from the very moment of your arrival, the staff is there to greet you and serve your every need and desire. I felt that by the time we left the place, these people were like a family to us. Our special thanks to Fernando, Enrique, Pineiro, our Captain Lady in the Amaya, and Indigo and so many others whose name I couldn't memorize but that really went out of their way to make our stay memorable. You truly made our time here special and this is the main reason why I would definitively consider going back to this place again.

Like pointed out by many visitors, this is truly a place for relaxation. Do not expect to find here large parties or dancing, and loads of fun, since the aim here is to disconnect - which was our goal and we achieved it. They do hold a regular itinerary of activities including daily Yoga classes, volleyball, horseback riding, as well as other activities such as Rum Tasting, Cocktail Preparation Classes, Cigar Classes, Biking, among others. However, my favorite time spent there was relaxing at the beach reading a good book and savoring great Pina Coladas who were brought to us by a wonderful lady that walked the beach all day, catering to our every need. I wish I could remember what her name was.

The beach was truly beautiful and since there were some reefs, there were no waves, making it very nice to get in the water and relax. If you want to do more swimming you can also walk to the right side of the beach and there are less reefs there so you can swim farther. There were also a lot of pools available to choose from, including a nice jacuzzi at the spa, and very comfy chairs. Grounds were being maintained on a daily basis.

The food was truly great - all a la carte - which is a plus versus the rest of the mass "all inclusive" chains that have huge buffets - the problem with these buffet styled hotels is that usually food is standing there for hours which is the main cause for food poisoning for many tourists visiting Punta Cana (this is one of the worst things that could happen during your vacation). The one thing I particularly liked is that you did not exactly have to stick to the menu, if there was something you craved for, or wanted to make a variation to the way something was prepared, they would go ahead and do it, as long as they had the materials to prepare it. "No", is not a word that is part of this staff's dictionary. I would sometimes order in advance something special that what I wanted for lunch during breakfast and they had it ready for me so I didn't have to wait long. One minor recommendation is that since the Indigo is the only restaurant that opens daily for lunch, it might be a good idea switching menus during the course of the week because after a few days you might find yourself tired of the same choices or to add items such as pizza, hot dogs, bbq chicken and ribs, which I did not see. However, as I mentioned, the staff is very accommodating as to anything different that you might want to order and there is something in the menu for everyone including vegetarian options. They have a chef's daily special as well and provide information on all their menus on the amount of calories, protein, carbs, and sodium that each food item in the menu has, which makes it very helpful when ordering. We had some great food choices such as grilled lobster, surf and turf, grilled salmon, snapper filet, ceviche, seafood paella (they offer the meat and vegetarian options as well), as well as typical dominican platters.

Bars had a very good selection of domestic and premium beverages and I enjoyed excellent Pina Coladas, Mojitos, Margaritas, and Wines. As with the rest of the service staff, bartenders were really friendly.

As for the room, the two features I liked best in my room were the fact that the balcony had a wood deck that had direct access to the pool - a definitive plus for me since I would dip in the pool in the afternoon before getting ready for dinner - and the bath was truly beautiful and large with separate tub and shower that gave a very spa-like feel to it. However, I also believe most of the areas for improvement can be found here:

1)The lighting could improve since at night time it felt very dark specially in the closet/vanity area which makes it difficult when you're getting dressed up at night. This can be fixed by adding more lamps and using dimmers so you can increase/decrease the intensity of light so you maintain the romantic atmosphere.

2) The room had a bit of a musty smell to it, the bed was a bit hard for my taste, and there were no aromatherapy pillows and linen scents as announced. When you compare to the "heavenly beds" and plush bed linens found it 4 and 5 stars hotels, this was a definitive minus to room comfort. This really needs to be looked after since when I book a resort for a 5 day long vacation - the bed is of outmost importance to me since I will be sleeping many nights there and the ultimate goal in vacation is to rest well.

3) Another thing, and am not very sure of how to fix this one, is that the sound insulation is not very good, so first floor rooms tend to be noisy because you can hear every sound from your upstairs neighbors rooms (which takes some privacy from the whole experience), as well as the service carts at night time passing through the wooden bridges in the second floor. There's also a type of frog that seems to be common in the Dominican Republic and emits a sound similar to a duck or goose, which can be heard clearly in the room. In my case, since Im a very sensitive to noises, it made it very difficult for me to get sleep the first night but after that I got used to it and am very happy to report that after that day I slept around 10 hours daily!! I was sharing my experience with some guests that were staying at the upper rooms and they did not have the same perception about the noise so probably it's a better idea to take an upper room although you miss the benefit of jumping directly to the pool from your room. There are some 1 floor villas that definitively would not have this problem.

4)The TV had a good variety of channels plus DVD. I did have some trouble with the long distance calling but as soon as I placed a call to the front desk, they fixed it right away for me and I could call without problems back home.

5) Maid Service was very good. They came to refresh the room and also did very nicely our laundry which is included at no charge for guests, as announced. Did not see too much variety of items in the mini bar, this is something that could be improved.

Regarding the spa, it has a very nice and warm pool inside. I have a very good massage treatment. My husband used the 20 minute complimentary massage that came with our stay but he actually only got 14 minutes of massage. The one setback was that I wanted to have a manicure and pedicure and they could not book an appointment for me because the only employee they have available for this was out sick. There should be a backup employee for these cases. Also the gym equipment needs some update because it's very old.

In summary, despite some setbacks in the room, I believe my vacation time here was truly worth it and I had the time to relax and disconnect. You will not find friendlier and more attentive staff anywhere else and this really makes a big difference for me.

Thanks once again to all the Zoetry staff for making my time here so wonderful!

2  Thank Sofiaxyz
ZoetryAguaGM, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2010

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your complete and delightful review, on behalf of all of us we are thrilled to know you enjoyed yourselves so much!
As for your suggestions, thank you for your comments on the lighting and the bed, we will certainly look into improving these aspects. We do scent our linens and pillow cases at turndown service, after your comments we will be evaluation the permanence of the product we are currently using if you did not perceive it by the time you went to sleep.
Also, we will actively take part into finding a way to make our lunch menu more varied and yet with good quality and consistency.
I am very happy that once you got used to nature, you were able to get so much restful slepp, good for you!
My apologies for not having the manicure/pedicure available during your stay, in response to that we have started a training for all our therapists so that the service is always available regardeless of who is on shift for the day.
Again, thank you for your great comments and for your compliments towards the staff, we all appreciate it. It means a lot to us to know that we offered you such a memorable stay.
We look forward to welcome you in the near future.
Kind regards,
Natalia Redondo

ps. the waitress on the beach you rememeber fondly, her name is Yari.

Reviewed 30 July 2010

We split our vacation between Secrets and Zoetry, mainly because we couldn't decide on our own and thru the research how to spend our 7 days. It was a perfect combination and being that they are sister properties, but an hour apart, both managers are very connected. Zoetry is a fantastic resort, hands down the most intimate and genuine vacation experience we have ever had. It's a very different vacation than that of Secrets. This staff and Natalia are the top. It's hard to know where to begin. The food and service in the restaurants has been top notch. We have wanted for nothing and everything we have asked about we have received ten fold. We are celebrating our anniversary and the whole resort has been a part of it. From breakfast and the band singing to us, to our room being decorated in flowers, a soaking tub of rose petals and candles, a private dinner with our own dessert and special set up with wait staff. We would have thought we had just married, the way we were being treated. The resort has impeccable grounds and the beach is pristine. Our room's patio exited right to the pool, but we spent most of our time under the gorgeous thatched hut umbrellas. The bedroom and bathroom are gorgeous! The shower and wood floors make you wish you could go home and duplicate the outstanding decorations. In fact, the thatched roof architecture is like an artform. Not only functional, the roofs are gorgeous to just spend time gazing at. I got a massage and facial and the massage was the best I've ever had. And the prices for the spa services were reasonable. On our last night the staff hosted a beach party for the resort that equaled any five star US dining buffet experience. The food was amazing and the outdoor decorations were made that day as we sat sunning ourselves on the beach wondering what the staff was preparing with the beautiful palms. Again, there is a reason this place has such great reviews. I commend the staff who make it fun to practice your Spanish. Remember that a few dollars here and there goes a long way to these hard working folks who take the time to learn the guests names and work so very very hard. My husband and I found ourselves here again. PS there is wifi throughout the resort which extended out to the beach, which is a biggie to me. On top of that there is free international calling.

1  Thank NikR
Reviewed 26 July 2010

My wife and I spent 7 days at Zoetry Agua and had a great time. No major complaints. The staff was very friendly and by the end of the trip, we were on a first name basis. I believe they really did care about making sure you had a good visit. The beach was very nice and clean. The rocks/reef kept most of large waves knocked down as compared to down the shore. The resort is small and quite so if you’re looking for 24 hour excitement, then this is not a place for you. You belong at one of the other large resorts that’s nearby. For July 4th, they even had a beach BBQ for the American's. It took them all day to prepare for this. The night life consisted of having a late dinner and enjoying talking to the other couples at the lobby bar. Met a lot of great people from all over the US and hopefully, we’ll see them again sometime. Many thanks to Natalia, Gregario (Night Bartender (Sorry if I misspelled your name), David, Hose, Christina and the rest of the staff. See you again soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2010

just got back from the zoetry with my family. would definately reccomend to anyone considering. its a smaller atmosphere which is what we liked. the ground were beautiful as well as the rooms. however the service could not be topped. carlos m was the best waitor ever. every need was attended too. the food was also amazing not a buffet style like most all inclusives...

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2010

My husband and I traveled to this resort for a friend's wedding, the first wedding held on the grounds! The location of the resort is about an hour away from the airport, but resort staff met us with signs at the airport and took us straight there. The resort itself is breathtaking, absolutely stunning. Exactly what you would expect for a tropical paradise. The rooms have some great space, and are thatch roofs on the top row. We slept very well and didn't have any problems. The food at all three restaurants is wonderful with fresh fruit and squeezed juice every day. Try a club sandwich, its always different! The staff is incredibly helpful and genuinely nice and ready to help guests with any and every request. Natalia the GM was wonderful, she took the time to spend with us and our party and knew all of us by name. She handles her tough and stressful job with ease and grace. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing and romantic beautiful beach vacation. My only insights - bring bug spray and anti-itch cream because the rainforest bugs are brutal!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2010

My wife and I just returned July 9 from the perfect vacation at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana. We can't believe anyone wouldn't be pleased with this place. Understand one thing.....this resort is geared to help a person slip away and rest. It is pure relaxation, great food, the most beautiful beach, absolutely gorgeous resort, and the most friendly and accommodating staff we have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

The resort is breathtaking. Well laid out, easy to navigate, and beautifully landscaped. The beach is pristine and Pablo works tirelessly to keep it that way. The ocean is clear and sandy. You don't have to worry about sea weed or rocks. There is a nice coral reef about one hundred feet off of the shore. Excellent for snorkeling. The pool is beautiful, very clean, and the best for sunbathing. The blue sunbeds are the most comfortable thing we've ever rested on.

Everything here is included: towels for the beach and pool, meals, drinks, room service, gym, wireless internet, international calling on the phone, satellite TV with English channels. The spa has some free services, but most have a fee.

The three restaurants were great. The Amaya was our favorite. The beach side Indigo was great, too. Every meal was prepared by a chef and it was awesome! Breakfast, lunch, and supper. And every snack in between.

The one thing that stands out the most though was the staff. We had read many wonderful things about Natalie, the GM, but didn't get to meet her until the last night. Everything was true about her, but what was so amazing, was that we didn't have to meet her, everyone was exactly like her. Friendly, kind, smiling, and accommodating. The service staff - reception and waiters - and many of the others' English was excellent. Jordani, Fernando, Junior, Juan, Rafael, Manuel, Enrique, David, Wariner, Carlos, Christina, Alexandra, everyone was great. Every reply was "It's my pleasure."

Realizing there isn't anything perfect......if I had to suggest one improvement, it would be the air conditioning. It needs to be colder and more of it. I had to stretch to find that one.

We really can't wait to get back there. We are already saving our money!

2  Thank padrejorge