“Employees friendly, gorgeous water, rustic chic=may get sick”

Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
Ranked #2 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 9 August 2010

First impression of place is lovely and most of the employees try their best to provide attention to service, though most have had little training (nor do most speak English). Speaking spanish, I wasn't concerned. Don't expect 4-star service; people forget, don't quite understand or simply have not had the training to meet simplest requests (i.e. plain pasta ..no matequilla (butter)..fo my son). Exorbitant, in my opinion; I will pay for top dollar accomodations and service is that what you are getting, but this is not them. Food was boring after 3 days, limited activities (many posted never happened), no place to sit in room other than on your bed and service at bar and coffee shop is slow, slow, slow. Excellent if you are practicing meditation. Not so great if you'd really like your cup of java before noon. Most kids will be bored to tears. Despite some advertising to the contrary there are few to any activities for kids. Of the 12 movies they have available to borrow, one, Bambi, is in English. Some very friendly faces but overall not worth it and certainly does not live up to self-proclaimed hype.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank ChappaquaNY
ZoetryAguaGM, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and comments, feedback is a great source to grow and evolve. We apologize for not meeting your expectations and for regardless of how much we tried to turn around any inconvenience you might have had while you were here and we were made aware of it, we still were not able to give you a wonderful experience.

Do accept my apologies for any incident result of lack of training or english knowledge as you mentioned, our staff being our most valuable asset, is in constant training and under encouraging supervision for improval. Our staff and their quality of service is what we get the most complemented on, we will make sure that we are able to guaranteee this to all guests.

As for the activities for children, it would be great value to lean where were you misinformed about an offer for children activities, as you well mention we have none and have never had, although children may participate in most activities we offer (except for rum and wine tasting) we do not have any specific activities for them. And indeed most of our movies are either PG-13 or Rated "R", we will look into enriching our English "All Audiences" variety, thank you for your suggestion.

Again, our apologies for your dissappointment, we will take your valuable observations and turn them into areas of opportunity for improvement.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 8 August 2010

We just came back from a wonderful week at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana.

The facilities are outstanding. The grounds are very well kept and beautiful. The beach is great, and the water warm and pristine.

The food is excellent, especially at dinner time.

However, the best part of the resort is the staff! What a great team of people totally determined to please their guests. We are not going to mention names because we do not want to leave anyone out, but all we can say is that their attitude for service and friendliness was way above our expectations.

We would not hesitate to recommend Zoetry to anyone who is looking for some tranquility, relaxation, and getting away from the daily bustle. Enjoy nature with all the comforts of civilization, have some great food and personalized attention.

Even though the resort is not children oriented, the staff made our two kids (age 11 and 5) feel really comfortable and they had a great time!

Thanks again to everyone! we expect to be back!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2010

My husband and I just got back from our 4 night stay at Zoetry Agua in July, and, WOW. We went to celebrate our 1-year anniversary, and it really was a special trip thanks to Natalia and her amazing team. Truly amazing. If you are considering other resorts in Punta Cana, just stop now. Book your vacation at Zoetry.

Before settling on Zoetry, we spent a lot of time on the internet reading reviews and looking at pictures. P.S. They even have a facebook page, which was a very helpful tool for us.

We got a nice upgrade (suite 45) and didn’t even have to ask. We were congratulated multiple times on our anniversary and were made to feel as though we practically owned the place.

The GM (Natalia) makes herself very accessible and whatever influence she has over her staff has got to be out of this world. Her positive, cheery attitude is infectious and must travel throughout the rest of the crew, because they are all equally as warm and happy.

We ate well, we drank well, we rested well. We were just well taken care of all around!

Activities participated in: yoga on the beach, bachata/merengue lesson, rum tasting, cocktail making, kayaking.

We don’t have anything negative to say. Realize if you pick this resort, you are going on vacation to RELAX. We will never stay anywhere else in Punta Cana. This is our place there, for sure.

Oh, and as for the mosquito problem, we actually did not find it to be a problem at all. I maybe got 2 or 3 bites the whole time I was there. I get more mosquito bites in New England!

MUCHAS, MUCHAS GRACIAS to all the staff members we met and came to know over the short time we were there: Alejandra, Ambioris, Angie, Carlos M., el otro Carlos, Cristina, Enrique, Gregorio, Jordani, Juan, Junior, Kenny, Manuel, Martina “Chismosa,” Mercedes, Vladimir and Yari. If you ever find yourselves traveling to the Rhode Island/Massachusetts area, we would love to show you the same hospitality you showed us. Natalia can tell you how to get in touch with us.

We apologize if we forgot to include anyone. We did our best to collectively remember everyone we met. Just know we were impressed by everyone.

And, if any of you happen to come back to Trip Advisor to read more reviews, well then, a shout out to the other couples we met while we were there: Carrie & Tony, Chuck & Lisa, Deb & Jim, Elizabeth & Tony, Tiffany & Drew and Yanique & Gaer.

Tiffany & Drew – did you see? You DO have an opportunity to purchase your airport photo on your way out! Crazy, huh?! We totally bought ours. :)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
ZoetryAguaGM, General Manager at Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2010

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your time to post your review, I loved the title! We appreciate it your gratitude and recognition towards our quality of service and staff, we have all felt touched by your review, even those not named by name.
We certainly hope to welcome you back some time soon, please consider this your home in Punta Cana.

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2010

My husband and I spent 6 days at Zoetry at the beginning of July. It was an absolutely fabulous experience and we cannot wait to go back. One of the key elements we were looking for in our vacation was total relaxation and that is exactly what we got. From the moment we arrived at Zoetry, the staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly and we immediately noticed how quiet the resort was. Our room was very spacious and the bathroom was quite nice. We especially loved the candles that were lit by room service while we were out for dinner. We had heard that the food was fantastic and it did not disappoint. We've been to other all inclusive resorts and the food does not even begin to compare. You can absolutely tell how fresh everything is. We indulged in several spa treatments while we were there and we found them to be wonderful. I cannot say enough good things about Zoetry. We have already recommended it to several of our friends and I have no doubt that we will try to get back as soon as possible. I believe that the staff totally makes or breaks a resort like Zoetry and the entire staff was unbelievably accomodating and friendly. I cannot think of a single complaint! We were very sad when it was time to leave and return to the reality!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank kvestal
Reviewed 1 August 2010

My husband and I just returned from a great and relaxing 6 day vacation from Zoetry Agua in Punta Cana. This is actually the first time I take the time to write a review but I felt compelled to do it, not only because my decision to visit the place was based on all the great reviews I read in Trip Advisor, but also because I believe the wonderful staff in this place truly deserves the recognition for such great work.

I have to start by saying that the despite the fact that the hotel has beautiful grounds and scenery, which many great hotels in the caribbean do, what really distinguishes this hotel out of the rest, is the fact that the staff really strives hard to please you and make you feel at home. Being such a small hotel compared to other big chains, service is very personalized and they address themselves by your names, which is something I truly value. I've traveled extensively during the past year to different hotel chains and locations, many of them luxury properties, but none can compare to the service I received here.

The ride from the airport was about 50 minutes long, which is farther than most hotels in Punta Cana, but from the very moment of your arrival, the staff is there to greet you and serve your every need and desire. I felt that by the time we left the place, these people were like a family to us. Our special thanks to Fernando, Enrique, Pineiro, our Captain Lady in the Amaya, and Indigo and so many others whose name I couldn't memorize but that really went out of their way to make our stay memorable. You truly made our time here special and this is the main reason why I would definitively consider going back to this place again.

Like pointed out by many visitors, this is truly a place for relaxation. Do not expect to find here large parties or dancing, and loads of fun, since the aim here is to disconnect - which was our goal and we achieved it. They do hold a regular itinerary of activities including daily Yoga classes, volleyball, horseback riding, as well as other activities such as Rum Tasting, Cocktail Preparation Classes, Cigar Classes, Biking, among others. However, my favorite time spent there was relaxing at the beach reading a good book and savoring great Pina Coladas who were brought to us by a wonderful lady that walked the beach all day, catering to our every need. I wish I could remember what her name was.

The beach was truly beautiful and since there were some reefs, there were no waves, making it very nice to get in the water and relax. If you want to do more swimming you can also walk to the right side of the beach and there are less reefs there so you can swim farther. There were also a lot of pools available to choose from, including a nice jacuzzi at the spa, and very comfy chairs. Grounds were being maintained on a daily basis.

The food was truly great - all a la carte - which is a plus versus the rest of the mass "all inclusive" chains that have huge buffets - the problem with these buffet styled hotels is that usually food is standing there for hours which is the main cause for food poisoning for many tourists visiting Punta Cana (this is one of the worst things that could happen during your vacation). The one thing I particularly liked is that you did not exactly have to stick to the menu, if there was something you craved for, or wanted to make a variation to the way something was prepared, they would go ahead and do it, as long as they had the materials to prepare it. "No", is not a word that is part of this staff's dictionary. I would sometimes order in advance something special that what I wanted for lunch during breakfast and they had it ready for me so I didn't have to wait long. One minor recommendation is that since the Indigo is the only restaurant that opens daily for lunch, it might be a good idea switching menus during the course of the week because after a few days you might find yourself tired of the same choices or to add items such as pizza, hot dogs, bbq chicken and ribs, which I did not see. However, as I mentioned, the staff is very accommodating as to anything different that you might want to order and there is something in the menu for everyone including vegetarian options. They have a chef's daily special as well and provide information on all their menus on the amount of calories, protein, carbs, and sodium that each food item in the menu has, which makes it very helpful when ordering. We had some great food choices such as grilled lobster, surf and turf, grilled salmon, snapper filet, ceviche, seafood paella (they offer the meat and vegetarian options as well), as well as typical dominican platters.

Bars had a very good selection of domestic and premium beverages and I enjoyed excellent Pina Coladas, Mojitos, Margaritas, and Wines. As with the rest of the service staff, bartenders were really friendly.

As for the room, the two features I liked best in my room were the fact that the balcony had a wood deck that had direct access to the pool - a definitive plus for me since I would dip in the pool in the afternoon before getting ready for dinner - and the bath was truly beautiful and large with separate tub and shower that gave a very spa-like feel to it. However, I also believe most of the areas for improvement can be found here:

1)The lighting could improve since at night time it felt very dark specially in the closet/vanity area which makes it difficult when you're getting dressed up at night. This can be fixed by adding more lamps and using dimmers so you can increase/decrease the intensity of light so you maintain the romantic atmosphere.

2) The room had a bit of a musty smell to it, the bed was a bit hard for my taste, and there were no aromatherapy pillows and linen scents as announced. When you compare to the "heavenly beds" and plush bed linens found it 4 and 5 stars hotels, this was a definitive minus to room comfort. This really needs to be looked after since when I book a resort for a 5 day long vacation - the bed is of outmost importance to me since I will be sleeping many nights there and the ultimate goal in vacation is to rest well.

3) Another thing, and am not very sure of how to fix this one, is that the sound insulation is not very good, so first floor rooms tend to be noisy because you can hear every sound from your upstairs neighbors rooms (which takes some privacy from the whole experience), as well as the service carts at night time passing through the wooden bridges in the second floor. There's also a type of frog that seems to be common in the Dominican Republic and emits a sound similar to a duck or goose, which can be heard clearly in the room. In my case, since Im a very sensitive to noises, it made it very difficult for me to get sleep the first night but after that I got used to it and am very happy to report that after that day I slept around 10 hours daily!! I was sharing my experience with some guests that were staying at the upper rooms and they did not have the same perception about the noise so probably it's a better idea to take an upper room although you miss the benefit of jumping directly to the pool from your room. There are some 1 floor villas that definitively would not have this problem.

4)The TV had a good variety of channels plus DVD. I did have some trouble with the long distance calling but as soon as I placed a call to the front desk, they fixed it right away for me and I could call without problems back home.

5) Maid Service was very good. They came to refresh the room and also did very nicely our laundry which is included at no charge for guests, as announced. Did not see too much variety of items in the mini bar, this is something that could be improved.

Regarding the spa, it has a very nice and warm pool inside. I have a very good massage treatment. My husband used the 20 minute complimentary massage that came with our stay but he actually only got 14 minutes of massage. The one setback was that I wanted to have a manicure and pedicure and they could not book an appointment for me because the only employee they have available for this was out sick. There should be a backup employee for these cases. Also the gym equipment needs some update because it's very old.

In summary, despite some setbacks in the room, I believe my vacation time here was truly worth it and I had the time to relax and disconnect. You will not find friendlier and more attentive staff anywhere else and this really makes a big difference for me.

Thanks once again to all the Zoetry staff for making my time here so wonderful!

2  Thank Sofiaxyz

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your complete and delightful review, on behalf of all of us we are thrilled to know you enjoyed yourselves so much!
As for your suggestions, thank you for your comments on the lighting and the bed, we will certainly look into improving these aspects. We do scent our linens and pillow cases at turndown service, after your comments we will be evaluation the permanence of the product we are currently using if you did not perceive it by the time you went to sleep.
Also, we will actively take part into finding a way to make our lunch menu more varied and yet with good quality and consistency.
I am very happy that once you got used to nature, you were able to get so much restful slepp, good for you!
My apologies for not having the manicure/pedicure available during your stay, in response to that we have started a training for all our therapists so that the service is always available regardeless of who is on shift for the day.
Again, thank you for your great comments and for your compliments towards the staff, we all appreciate it. It means a lot to us to know that we offered you such a memorable stay.
We look forward to welcome you in the near future.
Kind regards,
Natalia Redondo

ps. the waitress on the beach you rememeber fondly, her name is Yari.

Reviewed 30 July 2010

We split our vacation between Secrets and Zoetry, mainly because we couldn't decide on our own and thru the research how to spend our 7 days. It was a perfect combination and being that they are sister properties, but an hour apart, both managers are very connected. Zoetry is a fantastic resort, hands down the most intimate and genuine vacation experience we have ever had. It's a very different vacation than that of Secrets. This staff and Natalia are the top. It's hard to know where to begin. The food and service in the restaurants has been top notch. We have wanted for nothing and everything we have asked about we have received ten fold. We are celebrating our anniversary and the whole resort has been a part of it. From breakfast and the band singing to us, to our room being decorated in flowers, a soaking tub of rose petals and candles, a private dinner with our own dessert and special set up with wait staff. We would have thought we had just married, the way we were being treated. The resort has impeccable grounds and the beach is pristine. Our room's patio exited right to the pool, but we spent most of our time under the gorgeous thatched hut umbrellas. The bedroom and bathroom are gorgeous! The shower and wood floors make you wish you could go home and duplicate the outstanding decorations. In fact, the thatched roof architecture is like an artform. Not only functional, the roofs are gorgeous to just spend time gazing at. I got a massage and facial and the massage was the best I've ever had. And the prices for the spa services were reasonable. On our last night the staff hosted a beach party for the resort that equaled any five star US dining buffet experience. The food was amazing and the outdoor decorations were made that day as we sat sunning ourselves on the beach wondering what the staff was preparing with the beautiful palms. Again, there is a reason this place has such great reviews. I commend the staff who make it fun to practice your Spanish. Remember that a few dollars here and there goes a long way to these hard working folks who take the time to learn the guests names and work so very very hard. My husband and I found ourselves here again. PS there is wifi throughout the resort which extended out to the beach, which is a biggie to me. On top of that there is free international calling.

1  Thank NikR
Reviewed 26 July 2010

My wife and I spent 7 days at Zoetry Agua and had a great time. No major complaints. The staff was very friendly and by the end of the trip, we were on a first name basis. I believe they really did care about making sure you had a good visit. The beach was very nice and clean. The rocks/reef kept most of large waves knocked down as compared to down the shore. The resort is small and quite so if you’re looking for 24 hour excitement, then this is not a place for you. You belong at one of the other large resorts that’s nearby. For July 4th, they even had a beach BBQ for the American's. It took them all day to prepare for this. The night life consisted of having a late dinner and enjoying talking to the other couples at the lobby bar. Met a lot of great people from all over the US and hopefully, we’ll see them again sometime. Many thanks to Natalia, Gregario (Night Bartender (Sorry if I misspelled your name), David, Hose, Christina and the rest of the staff. See you again soon.