Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #2 of 60 Hotels in Samana Province
Port Colborne, Ontario
“Amazing Resort”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Cayo Levantado from January 1, 2012 – January 8, 2012. I feel after reading some rather negative reviews, I owed it to the great people at the Cayo Levantado to write my own review which I feel is a little more positive.

Flight

Although many different carriers service the Cayo Levantado, I wanted to mention a few things about our flight aboard Air Canada. Firstly, the check-in and boarding were the most organized we had ever experienced. Most flights call passengers to board and it becomes a free-for-all. Air Canada called row numbers so that there was no bottle-necking in the aisle inside the plane. The flight was just over 4 hours from Toronto to Samana.

A negative of the flight was the food service. We have NEVER been on a flight exceeding 4 hours in which we had to purchase our meal. If you did not purchase a meal in-flight, you did not eat. Another word of caution - learning from this experience, I made an egg sandwich at the resort to take with me on the plane, as did many other guests at the resort, however where the Toronto airport cared little about bring food on the plane, the Samana airport had a strict no food policy within the secure areas of the hotel. You can buy food after you enter the secure area but the prices are out of this world and you might as well just buy the food on the plane. Also, if you plan to buy food on the plane, buy vouchers before hand on the Air Canada website so you can save some money. If you buy on-board, they do not take cash/debit…only credit cards.

Arrival

Once arriving at the airport our luggage was quickly retrieved and we boarded our busses right away. While on the bus, a rep from the hotel was handing out our all-inclusive wristbands and welcome packages which included our room numbers, luggage tags and a map of the resort. After a fairly smooth ride through the Samana area, we arrived at the Bahia dock. Inside the little welcome centre you can buy large bottles of beer for $2 US. There are also washrooms if you need them before boarding the ferry to the island. The ferry ride was about 10-15 minutes and then you arrive at the resorts dock. After a walk up the hill toward the resort we were greeted in the lobby of the resort we were greeted by one of the managers. Again, this was very organized. He called all the rooms which were in the main building first to get them underway and handed them each their room key. Then he called the room numbers for those in the villas. Once we got our key we boarded a cart with our luggage and we driven to our villa.

Room

Our room was stunning. Our room was number 4201 which was in villa 4 on the second floor. The room was huge. It had a king sized four poster bed, double sinks in the washroom, a tub and shower. The room was also very nicely decorated. The safe was easy to use and can hold quite a bit. I suggest taking advantage of this included feature to avoid any thing going missing. We always lock up our passports, credit cards, cash, cameras and watches. After about an hour of our arrival a man came to the door with a plate of fresh fruit. Through the week we spent many hours on the balcony which over looked the rough beach and the ocean. The sound of the waves crashing was hypnotic. I did notice that the handle on the sliding door was coming loose but did not mention it to anyone. It still worked. Two days later however, I noticed that it was repaired. The maid must have reported it and had it fixed. Our maid was great and I suggest leaving the cleaning staff a dollar or so a day. We did and received a few extras every day such as extra water, coffee, shampoos, etc. I will say the coffee in the room is not the best. We usually ran water through two or three times to make it drinkable. It was just very strong. I also suggest emailing the resort before your arrival. We did and received all of our requests (villa 3 or 4, top floor, king bed). The resort email is: directorresidentebpcle@bahia-principe.com

Grounds

The grounds of the resort are impeccable. There is ALWAYS staff, washing, racking, trimming, cutting the outdoor areas. There is little wildlife on the island. Many large snails and geckos but nothing to be worried about. It does take some time to get use to where everything is at the resort but the little map helps and hopefully what I tell you here will help as well. There is also some construction going on between the quite pool and the Jacuzzi pool but there was no work being done when we were there.

Resort Amenities

The Spa is located just behind the main building. If you are in the main lobby of the resort, take the elevator to the 3rd floor and walk all the way down the hall, through the glass door at the end of the hall and walk up the steps. Guests commented that the service was amazing. We are not spa people so we did not take advantage of this service.

The Gym is located right next to the quiet pool. They have some equipment in there but not a lot. Next to the gym is the tennis court.

The Entertainment stage is located outside the main buffet restaurant to the east of the outside eating area. You can get there by going through the buffet restaurant or through the double glass doors in the lobby of the main building.

The Children’s area is located next to the beach bar. Not a lot for them to do but the staff try to keep the children entertained.

Gift Shop is located in the main lobby and is very expensive. There are vendors on your way to the public beach if you want to pick up some souvenirs at a more decent price.

We found the food to be more than adequate. I usually get sick at least once on a trip and I was not ill one bit.

Main Buffet - was very good although the morning and lunch menu were very repetitious. At dinner they had different theme nights. The themes are posted at the main doors of the buffet. Like any resort, use common sense when choosing what to eat. If it is something that you usually don’t eat at home, your body may not like you for the change. I did find the food a little cool on occasion but there is a microwave which can easily solve that problem. The soups were great and the rice pudding was the best I have had in a long time. There is a dress code for the buffet, especially dinner, but many do not follow this and the staff is usually to nice to say anything. Only once did I hear of a person being told they had to change into pants to enter the buffet for dinner.

Beach Buffet – This is basically fries, hot dogs and hamburgers. There are salads but remember what I said about using your head. These have been out for a while in an open air environment. I never touched any salad. The fried chicken was good and the stir-fry and rice was excellent.

Note – Just thought I would warn those who like strawberry jam. The strawberry jam at the resort tastes nothing like what we are use to in North America/Europe. I am not sure what it is but don’t eat it. This also includes anything that has strawberry jam in it like a lot of the desserts. Stay clear. If you are brave, try a little bit…you will see what I mean.

Al a Carte

The place to book the al a carte is in the main lobby. If facing the elevator, the bar is on your left and there are three desks to the right at the other side of the room. The desk at the right (which is by itself) is where you book the al a carte and also where you can get the binder for you trip departure times and other information.

Don Pablo – Gourmet – We ate here twice during our stay. The atmosphere is very nice but a little dark. The food was excellent. We ordered the same thing both times (except for dessert) because it was so good. First we were served a pre-appetizer which was a phyllo pastry stuffed with a mushroom filling which was excellent. Then the food we ordered – pumpkin and asparagus soup, fried camembert cheese and salad, beef fillet and lobster and dessert we had the apple tart (not so good) and chocolate fantasy (amazing). The meats were perfectly cooked however the second time we went the portions were bigger and they served a flaming banana dish after the main course. Two different chefs I would imagine.

Mediterranean – Food was good and the atmosphere was nice and light. Lots of seafood as you would imagine which is not usually my thing but my wife had lobster which was huge and she loved every minute of it. I had chicken stuffed with dates and mushrooms which was very good.

Italian – Since my wife is Italian we did not go to this restaurant however after talking to other guests this is the least favourite of the three by far.

Bars

There are three bars at the resort. The main lobby bar, the bar at the quiet pool and the beach bar. The main lobby bar has premium liquors if this is more your taste but besides that all the bars make their drinks and are not some powdered concoction which some resorts try to pass off as a drink. They also have a good selection of specialty drinks you can order which my wife enjoyed. The local beer is also very good. There is also a bar on the public beach at the western tip of the island. After a certain time at night the drinks become free for all inclusive guests. This bar is open till 1am. The other bars close rather early 6pm for the quiet pool bar and 10 pm for the lobby bar but usually after a long day the booze in the mini fridge does just fine.

The staffs at all the bars were very nice but I want to thank David at the Quiet Bar Pool. He was great, also cheerful and always coming around to ask if we wanted a drink. I know some reviewers said that the pool side service was not good but we had no problems.

Pools

Noisy Pool – This pool is located in front of the beach buffet/Mediterranean/Italian restaurants. The beach bar lies between the noisy pool and the beach. This pool is very nice and does tend to be a little noisy as the children’s area is near by and families tend to gather at this pool.

Quiet Pool – Very quiet pool. Very rarely busy. There are more than enough chairs to go around but if you want the daybeds under the draped shelters you have to get there a little earlier. We have been to several resorts and this is the first resort that I did not have to run down at 6am to get chairs.

Jacuzzi Pool – This is not hot as the name may make some think. The water is the same temperature as it is at the other two pools but has sunk-in seating with powerful water jets. Nice for a soak and it is also a very quiet area as there is only a little self serve bar in this area.

Getting Around

There are little carts what will take you where you want to go. You can catch them in front of the lobby or call to the front desk and get picked up at your villa. We usually walked for the exercise but when we did take the cart we had no problems. I do suggest you hang on tight however as they drive quickly.

Departure

This was as easy as check-in. We simply called the front desk to come and get us with our luggage which they did within ten minutes. We handed in our room key and then waited to board the ferry. The staff does check the room to see if anything is missing before you check out. Some things you can take, some you can not. There is a list in the welcome package you get at the start of the trip. My wife was happy to be able to bring the slippers the Bahia provided home.

Sorry for the long review. I just felt I had a lot to share. If there is something that I missed I will be more than happy to help. Just message me.

Room Tip: Villa 2,3 or 4 have the best access with the best rooms, top floors have better views of the ocean...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank luv2travel_can

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,364)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We went down for 2 weeks, Dec 24- Jan7, 2012. Our room was a junior deluxe suite, nice, clean but VERY poor lighting. There were 4 of us in the room. My mother in law had a room that was almost 50% bigger all to herself. Both paid for the same type of room, one would think that reservations would have figured out that 4 people needed more space. While we were there my daughter's camera was stolen from our room because our door did not close properly and was left open by the maid and our sliding door could not be locked. The front desk knew about the sliding door right away and never fixed it. Our door was never fixed during our stay there but I made sure the maid pulled it shut. Security came to "investigate" the theft. 10 days later, I ran into the GM and asked her if she had any news for me on the camera. She had not even been told about the theft, which apparently was their first one ever. Strange that a GM would not have been made aware of a theft!? The next day, I was approached and offered a free session at the spa or $100 credit in the store. I wanted the cash but the GM told me she could not do that. The bottom line was that the GM did nothing about the theft of a $300 camera. Not only that but our doors were never fixed! On the up side, the service was excellent our first week. The second week, the staff seemed tired and not so on the ball. Having said that, I need to mention the excellent service we had from Miguel, Juan, Raul, Jonety, Maria, Candido, Juan at the beach, Ramona, Bla bla bla espanol Jose, Martin, Luis and our maid Raquel. The food was good. The weather was not that great and I found that although they claim to be a family resort there was not much for the kids to do. The scuba was nothing special although the guys at scuba aquatic are awesome: Brian, Vladidmir and Roberto.
In conclusion: the resort is very well maintained, the staff in the restaurants and bar are nice and friendly but if there is a problem management will do NOTHING! Would we go back? NO!

14 Thank love2travel2italy
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My family and I just returned from two weeks at this resort and it was our third time there. We were very disappointed at the numbers of guests--seemed very crowded and the food was overcooked and of lower quality than any other time. Our rooms were in the main house and the smell of sewage was overwhelming due to the amount of rain. Our bathroom ceiling leaked with every rainfall. The service level of some staff was excellent and eager, others definitely lacking. The 'dress code' of a fine resort (slacks for men with shirts and no flip flops) was not adhered to at all. Guests arrived in board shorts and cut offs for dinner in the main dining room. The beach is still lovely, other guests a little loud.
We will not return and were very disappointed.

Room Tip: Villas are quieter and nicer. Villas 16-19 are newer
5 Thank Anne C
Toronto
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Like many, I booked a trip to GBP Cayo Levnatado with my partner because of the great reviews. I went through WestJet vacations (Canadian company). But here is a summary of tidbits to maximize your trip:

Transportation: The Samana airport is about 1 hour away from Samana city. Expect to travel a minimum of 1.5 hours to get to the resort from when you leave the airport. The boat ride is in a pretty big speed boat and takes 10 minutes or less. I absolutely hate boats and although I did not enjoy the ride, I was able to stomach it at least. The boat has a schedule (every hour or so), but it actually seems to run more frequently. Sometimes "special" boats come and pick you up if you just arrive or need to depart to the airport at a specific time. You need to take this boat if you want to do any excursions.

Resort: As the name suggests, the resort is on an island and it takes up the large majority of the island (probably like 80-90%). The resort is absolutely gigantic. If you split up with your travel companion(s) and don't know where they are, you may have a hard time finding them. The remaining ~10% of the island is a public beach that is in its own little corner, you wouldn`t even know it was there unless you were told. Not to worry, the resort has its own private beach, which I think is much nicer anyway. It has two large pools, one at the beach and one "quiet" pool. The quiet pool is usually occupied by adults. There is also a jacuzzi pool (which is not hot water though), but no one was staying there likely due to the constructions next door to it. There is a substantial portion of the resort that is blocked off with black fencing because they are doing construction, but while I was there they must have halted it. I did not hear anything or see any activity going on there. The resort itself is somewhat hilly, there are a reasonable amount of inclines and stairs. The gym is very small and isn't highly used. Maybe more people would use it if it was bigger and nicer.

Rooms: If you want to stay in a villa, I believe you need to book a Junior Suite Superior, Junior Suite Deluxe or an actual villa itself. The rest of the rooms are in the main building. Junior Suite Superiors are the majority of rooms of the resort, they can be found as a group of 8 in a large villa. These larger villas have two floors. The Deluxe suites are 3 to a villa, but the villa is smaller (I believe...). The 3rd floor of the main building has a lot of traffic because there's an entry/exit way there. The 5th floor rooms of the main building have a smaller balcony. The main building, as well as villas close to the main building (e.g. Villa #1) are very noisy at night because of the entertainment and garbage disposal (also they are high traffic areas). However, if you have mobility issues, I suggest staying in the main building. If you like nature and don't mind walking (10 minutes or so), upgrade to a junior suite superior or higher and enjoy villas further away from the main building for a pleasant stay.

Food: lots of choice, very fresh! The buffet is pretty good, but do expect overcooked meats. The a la carte restaurants were also good, especially Don Pablo... the Med restaurant was also really good, but the Italian (Portofino) was my least favourite. You have to reserve for the a la carte restaurants. Reservations for the week start on the Sunday and you can reserve from Monday to the following Sunday. I stress that you should show up on Sunday morning if you want your pick of time and of restaurant. Not all the a la carte restaurants are open every day (the med and italian restaurants rotate). They do not fill the a la carte restaurants to capacity because (I imagine) they want to give you better service and focus only on a few tables at a time. Expect to eat at the buffet for dinner at least a few nights. The dinner buffet is themed every night, so it changes (Mexican, Spanish, Oriental etc...).

Entertainment and activities: Daily activities are on schedule and the staff do encourage participation, but they aren't pushy. Nightly entertainment is a hit or miss, I wouldn't say it was the highlight of my trip. I did enjoy the singing. Don't expect the same entertainment from larger resorts... you're on the island.

Service: It's present. Some staff are much more enthusiastic than others. Other staff almost look like they don't want to be there. They seemed to be very heavily worked (much longer than 8 hours a day). Also, unless the staff is at a higher position (front desk, reception, guest services, maitre'd), his/her English is usually very limited. This made communication difficult on more than one occassion. I suggest that the resort take responsability to teach their staff English as the primary clientele is English-speaking. I always tip for good service, many people also did. Overall, service wasn't super consistent and it's definitely not better than other 5 stars I've been to. But it's definitely not bad either. It can be improved.

People (other customers): I went during the winter holiday, so I imagine there were many more children (under 18) than there usually is. It was about half couples and half families when I went. Even though I've always gone to adult-only resorts in the past because I don't really like children, I was not bothered by their presence. Families had their children under control. I found the other customers to be very well-mannered, respectful and usually kept to themselves. Like myself and my partner, there were other same sex couples at the resort too. People (staff and other clients) were very friendly to us and at no point did I feel awkward or mistreated.

Overall: I do believe the rating lives up to my own personal experience, but the quality of the resort is more like 4.5 stars. The area that requires the most improvement is service. Feel free to contact me if you want to know more!

Room Tip: Main building is noisier and the rooms are smaller. Villas are spread out and the ones further from...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
22 Thank ilovetoeat86
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I went from December 26 - December 31, 2011. Wanted to get some sun and get some much needed relaxation before the New Year. This all inclusive hotel was very reasonably priced and had a lovely private beach and very nice pools. The grounds are well taken care of everyday. The service was exellent. I stayed in one of the houses (#25) in the middle of the grounds. A few complaints. Firstly, I flew into Santo Domingo and wondered why it cost $75 round trip for a transfer to the hotel. It takes 2 1/2 hours to get from the airport to the hotel. From what I understand this is the closest airport that takes commercial flights. I would recommend getting the private transfer in spite of the price. I met a couple from Boston that took a bus and the ride took them over 3 1/2 hours and was very crowded. The other complaint would be the critters. Though the cleaning people did an amazing job I think they leave the door open when they clean. I found a centipede looking bug in my room around the drapes. it was almost a foot long and about 2 inches wide - it was dead but it was in there. Two days later there was a frog in my room. I was able to get rid of both but it was a little creepy to say the least.

The food was very good for all inclusive. I'm not usually the all inclusive type but I booked it because I was looking for a relaxing vacation. The 3 restaurants were OK. There is an Italian, Mediterranean and a French restaurant to choose fromI wouldn't get overworked about getting a reservation because as I said the food in the main hall was very good and there is a different theme every night. There is also another place to have lunch by the pool next to the beach so if you want to stay on the beach all day (as I did) it is very convenient.

I would recommend it for every kind of traveler whether a couple or a family. It is very family oriented with lots of activities for kids. Water sports, table tennis, darts, bingo, dancing lessons on the beach etc. People didn't put down there towels at 8am in the morning at the beach which was nice but if you want to get a prime spot in the sun you should get down there about 10 or 1030am. The staff was very, very friendly but it would be helpful to brush up on your Spanish so the communication is better. There were waiters on the beach constantly to make sure people had plenty to drink.

They have a nightly "show" in the evening around 9pm every night. They do their best, but coming from NY the entertainment is average at best. Would recommend this place and would probably go back again.

Room Tip: Get one of the bigger rooms with an ocean view and a private hot tub. The bed was very spacious but...
Lindsay, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We travelled to Samana December 4th with a group of around 35 for my son's wedding. Wedding planner did a wonderful job helping Trevor and Lucia have a very memorable wedding day. Food was very good loved that you could get lobster at this resort , a first for all the places we've stayed at.Buffet though didn't have quite the variety that some other resorts have had but still it was very good.Special mention for a staff member that made our vacation special goes out to Meguel that was working down by the beach bar, he made my Mum smile every time he saw her.Also Luis and David at the upper pool.Great place for a quite vacation with plenty of excersise with the hills.LOL. Visit Limon Falls its beautiful.

1 Thank jaysea346
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This is a true 5-star, at least in terms of Caribbean. Best time to stay is February when you can see migrating whales. We went there in June 2010, I was pregnant at that time, so I needed a calm place to relax and enjoy the sun. Three beaches - shallow water with some snorkeling, wavy with some wind, public with some shopping on the way. No problem with the beach chairs at all, none of this crazy towel reservation runs in the morning. Water was about +27C, little rain couple of times during our week long stay didn't do any harm. Food in the buffet was just good, a-la carte restaurants were better experience, Don Pablo especially. People were smiling - reception, maids, gardeners, restaurant personnel - all professional and benevolent. You'll need a little Spanish to better communicate, and they all willingly teach you some general phrases. Rooms are really spacious with a jacuzzi on a huge balcony. We took a trip to Los Haitises National Park, a unique and incredibly beautiful place. Will come back in a heartbeat, want to take my mother and baby there now.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 60 in Samana Province

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!