Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Samana Province
Reading, United Kingdom
“Paradise on earth”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This location is perfect for the quiet and relaxing Holiday. The hotel and location is beautifully maintained and clean. The restaurant and bar staff are excellent. The amount of times I heard my wife and other Holiday makers state " this is paradise on earth" we have traveled all over the world and stayed at many different standards of hotels, We would list this hotel and location as one of the best. Normally around a few day before the end of any holiday I am ready to go home, if I could I would have stayed even longer.
One important thing you must take into consideration, (TRANSFER TIME Thomson travel) leaving the at puerto plata airport - to walking into the Hotel reception. 4 and half hours.

7 Thank Jackie H
Martín V, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Jackie H,

We would like to thank you for your positive comments. Your experience is a valuable reference for other customers who are considering Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado for their holidays.

Looking forward to welcome you again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts Best all inclusive in the Dominican Republic.

Kindest regards,

Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,398)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Pwllheli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This hotel is stunning, we have stayed in many 5* hotels in many countries and this is the best. The various types of accomadation are all beautiful. We stayed in a sea view Superior Deluxe suite, which is basically an almost detached villa, with privacy & in a very quiet location with a jaquizi on one terrace, a seperate living room, a large bedroom with another terrace and fantastic bathroom with yet another jaquizi. Mini bar free & stocked daily.
The 3 beaches are all nice.
The staff are faultless.
The food is amazing with choice of 3 al a carte & 1 buffet, all serving superb food.
Drink qaulity if good, with all named brand spirits & nice wines.
The gardens are stunning with beautiful plants.
In all faultless.

Room Tip: Superior Deluxe are almost detached and are single storey so no one above or below you, great.
4 Thank david b
Martín V, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Mr. DavidB,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your great anniversary vacation in our Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado . Your comments are a valuable reference for other customers who are considering Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for their holidays.

Toronto
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My husband and I have looked at this resort for a couple of years and finally made the decision this year.
The location is outstanding - being on the island is perfect for a quiet and relaxing vacation. The grounds are beautiful and there were always cleaning, trimming and clearing the grounds.
The rooms were spectacular - we had an ocean view villa - we upgraded once we arrived and it was worth the $100. We even saw a whale from our balcony.

The food was very good and service was great.
We were off island once for an atv tour arranged before we arrived through your Samana with terry. (Great excursion).

We visited the public beach twice - once on a cruise ship day and another non- cruise ship day. Both great experiences - if you buy anything make sure they know you're from the resort, it's cheaper.

Can't wait to return!

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank Tilly22Toronto
Dear Tilly22Toronto,

Receive warm greetings from all the Staff working at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado.

We are so glad after having received your message letting us know you had a pleasent time in our Hotel, and that you enjoyed the Service from our Staff .Thank you for choosing our hotel as your destination, we are delighted to hear that we have achieved your complete satisfaction!!!

Hope to see you soon on your next vacation experience in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This review is LONG overdue!!! We traveled to this beautiful resort in November 2012 with family and friends for our wedding. Reading through hundreds of reviews trying to find the perfect resort for our wedding took days off my life, but finding this gem in the end made it all worth it. Everything about this island is breathtaking. It truly is paradise and our wedding was perfect. The rooms were so clean and spacious. The food was great and the service impeccable. The staff was so friendly and helpful and seemed to truly love their jobs. The lobby bar staff were amazing. There was a very sweet lady who gave my daughter some green sparkly nail polish that she was enamored by. Such a sweet little gesture. If I remember correctly I think her name was Victoria or Virginia? She was a sweetheart none-the-less. Angel in the main dining buffet was also one of our favourites. He was always so happy and full of life! The staff member that really does deserve a ton of credit is the wedding planner Simona. She is extremely professional and excellent at her job. The weather on our wedding day was perfect and everything else followed suit. Simona made sure everything went smoothly and she is responsible for our wedding day being absolutely perfect. Not only is she fantastic at her job, but she also is such a nice, sweet person. We have since kept in touch and she is now a friend. The only thing that makes my husband and I very sad, is the fact they have now made the resort adults only. We always travel as a family and would love to return here, however we will not be able to do so for many years if this doesn't change as our daughter is only small. If you are considering booking this resort for your wedding, do it!!! You won't be disappointed. If you do decide to get married here, I would suggest choosing someone other than Karina Jensen as your photographer. Almost a year and a half later and we have not received our edited photos which were originally promised within 2 weeks. I gave up asking for them a year ago. We had a few other issues as well. Message me if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Leanne L
Dear LeanneL,

We are so glad after having received your message letting us know you had a faboluos wedding in our Hotel, and that you enjoyed the Service from our Staff.
Your comments are a valuable reference for other customers who are considering us for their vacations. We appreciate your recent review on TripAdvisor.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Well if I would have to find some bad things about this hotel, I would mention too many staff at restaurant and bad organisation of work in there (they usually forget, what you asked for, do not understand english or mix the orders) and probably limited quantity of good quality drinks (they are available only at the main bar and after 22pm it's usually finished), that alcohol which is given near swimming pools isn't drinkable (at least, I couldn't drink it). Overpriced shop (I wanted to buy new flip-flop. the price was 150usd or similar. REALLY, rubber flip flops...) and basic entertainment in the evenings.
But these are really small things, which you won't remember after your holidays. The island itself it amazing and very well maintained. The rooms are fantastic, I loved our junior suite (villa XIV), with huge terrace, wonderful bathroom, spotless. Also besides some small issues regarding services, the staff can't try more to be attentive to every request. Starting with housekeepers (very nice ladies!), continuing with gardeners, bartenders and everyone else. It's easy to forgive small mistakes, when you see how many efforts they put in their jobs.
the food is great. I read some negative reviews about food, but really for all inclusive resort I couldn't ask for more (yes, you can find better food in some good restaurants worldwide, but you will spend 200usd per couple per dinner, so it won't be fair to expect same quality in here). One of the chefs was wonderful in particular, but I don't know his name. At the main buffet you can find literally everything. I also enjoyed other restaurants "a la carte".
Tennis courts, gym, swimming pools, ocean, beach - anything you want! Thank you all and I really want to come back!

Room Tip: it depends on your priorities, I really liked our villa XIV, upper floor have view to the ocean (nea...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Giedre S
Martín V, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear GiedresS,

We really appreciate your comment about your experience in our Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Hotel, Please rest assure that we are taking your observations with great consideration and that appropriate measure will be taken with the aim of better service, in order to secure the valued service our guests deserved. On the other hand, we are glad that you have enjoyed the Service from our Staff!!

Thank you for choosing our resort as your holiday destination!!

Best regards,

Val Caron, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Beautiful resort. Service and food was exceptional. The cleanliness was above my expectations. All in all very romantic and awesome resort. Would recommend it to any couples out there who would like have a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Junior suites are better since you are close to the entertainment and dining
4 Thank Carbob2014
Dear Carbob2014,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your great vacation in ourLuxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado. Your comments are a valuable reference for other customers who are considering Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for their holidays.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Spent one week here with my wife at the end of February 2014. There are multiple pro's to this resort, and minimal negatives. Some of the previous reviews on here are almost laughable with the things they have complained about (e.g., "variety of foliage??") so I will try to be short and realistic:

Pro's:

- BEAUTIFUL grounds: lush greenery, nice walkways, beautiful beaches all around
- SPACE: compared to other resorts, the "towel game" and finding space seemed like less of an issue here. We would often start the morning at the beach and switch to the pools in the afternoon. At other resorts that would be impossible as people don't give up seats, but here we noticed (for the most part) when people were done they took their towels and allowed others a chance at their seats. We really appreciated that. Aside from some very specific spots, we almost always had our pick of spot even after a relaxed breakfast (e.g., 9-10am) whereas other places I've been to you need to snag a seat by 7am!
- VARIETY: We loved that there was a range of places to spend the day depending on what you wanted. Intense sun and strong breeze - head to the "wavy beach," a bit of shade and calm waters but still ocean - head to the "calm beach" right next door. Three pools, each different ("Activity pool" was loudest, "Quiet Pool" was obviously quiet and calm mostly for sunbathers, and "Jacuzzi Pool" was actually deserted most of the time we were there!). We tried each at least once - all areas were stocked, clean, and drinks are never far out of reach.
- ROOMS: We stayed in Villa 6. I think there aren't many villas with "bad views." Our room was spacious, clean, no complaints. Restocked daily.
- FOOD & DRINK: Overall no complaints here. Our expectations were lowered for DR compared to what we've had in Jamaica & elsewhere, but we were surprised. A la cartes were fine (reservations weren't that tough to get although Portofino isn't open every day so make sure you reserve when you can - it was fully booked for our stay). Drinks were not always "top shelf" but met our needs just fine. Pre-dinner drinks on the beautiful balcony/patio are a must - try a Capirinha!

Con's: (for the most part these are all admittedly very minor)

- MOBILITY: This was NOT an issue for us directly, but if you have severe mobility issues this resort may be a challenge. It is spread out and there are hills, steps, etc. I am certain they could accommodate this as they have these little carts that can whisk you around, but just as a warning it could be an issue for some.
- LANGUAGE: I admittedly speak ZERO Spanish, and truly for the most part language is fine. That said, if you ever go "off-script" and require something unique or out of the ordinary, many staff members have a really hard time understanding. We required them to freeze ice packs for medication, and it took about 30 minutes of drawn out explanation to explain something relatively straight forward ("Can you freeze these for me and I'll pick them up when I check-out"). A little Spanish here would go a long way, but really for 95% of things this was not a big deal.
- DRINKS/SERVICE: This was also on my pro's list, but if you are really fussy about quality and variety of drinks while on the beach or at the pool this is a con. Basic drinks are never an issue, but if you want anything above that (e.g., margarita level of difficulty or above) I find the bar staff struggled a bit at pool/beach bars whereas other resorts I've been to you can name any drink and they'll make it for you no questions asked. Again, not a big issue for most people (or me), but if you are used to having no difficulty in this area it's worth noting. Also the drink service staff seemed variable - we noticed they would come around and ask for drinks in the late morning but suddenly stop around lunch time after about an hour or so. Some resorts staff walk around continuously asking if you'd like a drink, whereas here you go up to get your drinks. A lot of people were using travel mugs, which I would do next time I go as the cup size was pretty small (easy to get around if you just order 2 drinks at a time, etc).

Overall the Pro's vastly outweighed the con. Many of my above comparisons were made to Iberostar Grand Rose Hall (Montego Bay) and while both are excellent I would actually choose this resort over that in the future, all things considered. If you are over the top fussy about drinks being perfect and food being out of this world, you may be left wanting slightly more, but if you are like so many people at this resort who want to relax, have a few drinks and eat some good food then this resort should meet (and exceed) most of your needs.

Room Tip: I would definitely NOT choose the jacuzzi rooms - their location is terrible compared to junior delu...
8 Thank MapleLeafPassport
Dear MapleLeafPassport,

We are so glad after having received your message letting us know you had a faboluos holiday in our Hotel, and that you enjoyed the Service from our Staff.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samana Province
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana
#3 of 112 in Punta Cana
Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 53 in Samana Province
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!